Quran Memorization for Kids
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: Names of the prophets and their meaning..

  1. #21
    Soldier Through It! Array جوري's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    من ارض الكنانة
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    27,131
    Threads
    1280
    Reputation
    244555
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ līl˙ View Post


    No Jehova doesn't appear in the post..

    here is an enlightening post about 'Jehova'

    CHAPTER THREE - WHO IS JEHOVAH? (What is His Name - by Dr. Ahmed Deedat)
    CHAPTER THREE
    WHO IS JEHOVAH?
    Astonishing as it may sound, it is an admitted fact that prior to the sixteenth century, the word "Jehovah," was unheard of. Whenever the origin of this word appeared in its true Hebrew form in Jewish Scriptures (read from right to left as in Arabic) Yet, Huh, Wav, Huh; or Y.H.W.H. these four letters were preceded by a substitute word "Adonai," to warn the reader that the following word was not to be articulated. The Jews took meticulous care in repeating this exercise in their "Book of God" six thousand, eight hundred and twenty-three times - interpolating the words "Adonai" or "Elohim." They sincerely believed that this awesome name of God was never to be pronounced. This prohibition was no ordinary affair: it called for a penalty of death on one who dared to utter it, and this taboo has been more successful than all the "DO's" and "DON'T's" of the Ten Commandments put together.
    If Jehovah is the name of God Almighty, and if the 27 Books of the New Testament were inspired by Him, then it is an anomaly of the highest order, that He (Jehovah) signally failed to have His Own Name recorded in "His Word" (N.T.) the Christian addition to the Jewish Bible. The Christians claim that they have in their possession over twenty-four thousand so-called "originals" of their Holy Writ in the Greek language, and yet not a single parchment has "Jehovah" written in it. Curiously this "name of God" (?) has been sacrilegiously replaced by the Greek words ky'ri.os and the.os', which mean 'Lord' and 'God.' Yet, miracle of miracles - Alleluya! - no devil or saint has been able to eliminate the word "ALLAH" from the so-called New Testament of the Christians.
    NEW FANGLED DOCTRINES
    A hundred years ago, all of a sudden, more than a hundred new cults and denominations of Christiandom mushroomed in the United States of America. The Seventh Day Adventists, the Christian Scientists, the Menonites, the Christiadelphins, The Jehovah's Witnesses and the like. The founder of the last named cult, a Judge Rutherford, about whom the orthodox Christians say that he was no "Judge." This Judge was a voracious book-worm and a prolific writer. He stumbled across the word "Jehovah" which tickled him immensely, and he made a religion out of it.
    Judge Rutherford, followed by Charles T. Russell created a new "church," which in its system of organisation and administration is second to none in the world. There is very much we Muslims can learn from their enthusiasm and methodology. Read, "Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave" by Schelin. It is not their theology I am enamoured with but their modus operandi (the way they operate). Read, how this incorrigible sect came very close to conquering Germany before Hitler. Read, about their second come- back in West Germany. Think, why they are making a most concerted effort in Nigeria. Will the system or religion that prevails in Nigeria, be utlimately the norm of the rest of Africa! This giant is the hero of the majority of the African people south of the Sahara. Muslims must reflect.
    VIRILE SECT
    The "Jehovah's Witnesses," have made the most phenominal progress of all the religious sects of the past hundred years, on a percentage basis. The Bahaies are moving at a snails-pace in comparison, actually receding in ratio with the other Christian off-shoots. These "Witnesses" are the fittest in their fight against the other Christians as well as against the Muslims. Simply because they programme themselves five times a week in their "Kingdom Halls," and what they learn they implement during the week-ends. We Muslims are supposed to be "programmed" five times a day in our daily Salaat, but we have lost the true purpose of this Pillar of Islam. Our Salaat is for earning Sawaab (spiritual blessings) only.
    They have made the word JEHOVAH famous. They knock at people's doors, asking the question - "What is His Name?" The orthodox Christian replies - "God." They say, "God is not a name, it is an object of worship. What's His Name?" "Father," says the orthodox as a second try. "Is your father God?" Of course not! So what is His Name? "JEHOVAH! is His Name," says the "Witness" to both Muslims and non-Muslims alike. He has become a professor of this one word. He has made it into a religion.
    THE "TETRAGRAMMATON"
    Why not for a change ask him, a question or two. Ask him where he got the word Jehovah from? He will surely reply - "From the Holy Bible." What does it say? Does it spell out the word J-e-h-o-v-a-h? "No," he will reply. "There is a 'tetragrammaton' in the Bible from which the word Jehovah is derived." What is a tetragrammaton? No one seems to have heard this highly mystical term. In the University of Illinois in the U.S.A. I asked a gathering of students and lecturers whether any one had heard this jaw-breaker! Not one of them knew its meaning! But every Jehovah's Witness seems to know, even the commonest of them. They have really specialised - ours is a world of specialisation. They are Professors of the one word - Jehovah.
    What then is a "tetragrammaton!" The Jehovah's Witness replies, "Y H W Hi!"
    "No!" "What I want to know from you is, what does the word tetragrammaton mean?" You will find him most reluctant in explaining. Either he does not really know, or he is feeling embarrassed in replying. "Tetra," in Greek means FOUR, and "grammaton," means LETTERS. It simply means "a four letter word."

    Can you read into Y H W H the word Jehovah? I cannot. "No!", says the Jehovah's Witness, "we ought to add vowels to these four consonents to produce the sound. Originally, both Hebrew and Arabic were written without the vowel signs The native of each language was able to read if even without those vowels. Not so the outsider, for whose benefit the vowels were invented.
    THE "J" SICKNESS
    Let us add the vowels as the "Witness" suggests. YHWH becomes YeHoWaH. Juggle as you like but you can never materialise Jehovah! Ask him, from which hat he drew his "J". He will tell you that "this is the 'popular' pronunciation from the 16th century." The exact sound of the four letters YHWH is known neither to the Jews nor to the Gentiles, yet he is ramming JEHOVAH down everyones throats. The European Christians have developed a fondness (sickness) for the letter "J" They add J's where there are no Jays. Look!
    Yael he converts to Joel Yehuda to Juda Yeheshua to Joshua Yusuf to Joseph Yunus to Jonah Yesus to Jesus Yehowa to JehovahThere is no end to the Westerner's infatuation for the letter "J." Now in the busy streets of South Africa, he charges people who carelessly cross them for "jay-walking," but nobody charges him for converting Jewish (Yehudi) names into Gentile names.
    The letters Y H W H occur in the Hebrew (Jewish) Scriptures 6 823 times, boasts the Jehovah's Witness, and it occurs in combination with the word "Elohim;" 156 times in the booklet called Genesis alone. This combination YHWH/ELOHIM has been consistently translated in the English Bible as "Lord God," "Lord God," Lord God," ad infinitum.
    COMMON ORIGIN
    What is YHWH; and what is ELOHIM? Since the lews did not articulate the word YHWH for centuries, and since even the Chief Rabbis would not allow the ineffable to be heard, they have forfeited the right to claim dogmatically how the word is to be sounded. We have to seek the aid of the Arab to revive Hebrew, a language which had once died out. In every linguistic difficulty recourse has to be made to Arabic, a sister language, which has remained alive and viable. Racially and linguistically, the Arabs and the Jews have a common origin, going back to Father Abraham.1
    Note the startling resemblance between the languages, very often the same sounding words carry identical meaning in both.
    HEBREW ARABIC ENGLISH Elah Ilah god Ikhud Ahud one Yaum Yaum day Shaloam Salaam peace Yahuwa Ya Huwa oh he
    YHWH or Yehova or Yahuwa all mean the very same thing. "Ya" is a vocative and an exclamatory particle in both Hebrew and Arabic, meaning Oh! And "Huwa" or "Hu" means He, again in both Hebrew and Arabic. Together they mean Oh He! So instead of YHWH ELOHIM, we now have Oh He! ELOHIM.

    http://www.jamaat.net/name/name3.html

    so Jehova literally translates in Arabic and Hebrew to 'Oh he' -- sorry to disappoint you, I know you were hoping it is a secret name and all, but all it is, is a strange English concoction to calling out to God!

    all the best
    Quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ līl˙ View Post


    you are so funny, did you read the post by Dr. Deedat?

    let me wrap it up for you in a sentence in case reading the entire post is too much of a challenge:

    HEBREW ARABIC ENGLISH Elah Ilah god Ikhud Ahud one Yaum Yaum day Shaloam Salaam peace Yahuwa Ya Huwa oh he
    YHWH or Yehova or Yahuwa all mean the very same thing. "Ya" is a vocative and an exclamatory particle in both Hebrew and Arabic, meaning Oh! And "Huwa" or "Hu" means He, again in both Hebrew and Arabic. Together they mean Oh He! So instead of YHWH ELOHIM, we now have Oh He! ELOHIM.


    literally oh he -- you should in fact concentrate on the part in maroon highlighted below -- go ahead and use an Arabic dictionary for the etymology 'break down of the word ya huwa ''oh he elohim, hwa Allah'


    يهوه هو الله
    Quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ līl˙ View Post
    can't add to the post up without it being admixed with the Arabic..
    but 'Jehova' isn't God's name, it is what you would use to call out to God, hope that clarifies it for you in the absolute most simplest terms.. it is in fact what you'd use to introduce God, or call out to God, rather than have it mean God!
    the
    ئيل ending seems to always be missing from your 'Jehova' and that is the portion that actually references God.
    yu ael
    isra ael
    isma ael


    capisce?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiroshi View Post
    Well, yes I did read it but didn't get a chance to reply to it yet. As you can see, you were mistaken in thinking that the name Jehovah didn't appear in your opening post.

    "Jehovah" means: "He causes to become". This gives the sense that God causes himself to become whatever may be needed on behalf of his people. He becomes their rescuer, their deliverer, their helper, their guide, leader, king, law giver and so on. Rotheram's translation, if I may mention this, has God saying: "I Will Become whatsoever I please" when asked by Moses as to what God's name is.
    You can render the English meaning of your choice, but you are not going to teach me Semitic tongue my mother language!

    all the best




    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him.اتبع طرق الهدى ولا يضرك قلة السالكين
    وإياك وطرق الضلالة ولا تغتر بكثرة الهالكين





  2. #22
    IB Senior Member Array Hiroshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    757
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    1035
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ līl˙ View Post


    You can render the English meaning of your choice, but you are not going to teach me Semitic tongue my mother language!

    all the best
    I am no Hebrew scholar but I am quite sure that you are wrong here. Yahweh or Jehovah isn't just some exclamation: "Oh, hey!" or similar. It really is God's personal name. And it is a verb meaning: "He causes to be".

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh

    Wikipedia says:
    The name is generally linked to a form of the Semitic word-stem HWY, conveying the idea of "being". (Semitic word-stems are groups of consonants around which vowels are arranged to form nouns and verbs). Both Amorite personal names and Greek transcriptions of the tetragrammaton suggest that the vocalization Yahweh is correct, and as such should be read as having derived from a causative verbal form ("x causes to be" or "he causes to be").

  3. #23
    Soldier Through It! Array جوري's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    من ارض الكنانة
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    27,131
    Threads
    1280
    Reputation
    244555
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by Hiroshi View Post
    I am no Hebrew scholar but I am quite sure that you are wrong here. Yahweh or Jehovah isn't just some exclamation: "Oh, hey!" or similar. It really is God's personal name. And it is a verb meaning: "He causes to be".

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh

    Wikipedia says:
    The name is generally linked to a form of the Semitic word-stem HWY, conveying the idea of "being". (Semitic word-stems are groups of consonants around which vowels are arranged to form nouns and verbs). Both Amorite personal names and Greek transcriptions of the tetragrammaton suggest that the vocalization Yahweh is correct, and as such should be read as having derived from a causative verbal form ("x causes to be" or "he causes to be").
    you are right, you are no scholar, and I know that wiki caters to non-scholars.. remind me when I have the time to go edit that so that it reflects the appropriate meaning..

    all the best




    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him.اتبع طرق الهدى ولا يضرك قلة السالكين
    وإياك وطرق الضلالة ولا تغتر بكثرة الهالكين





  4. #24
    Slave of Allah Array Amat Allah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nowhere...
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,915
    Threads
    172
    Reputation
    40107
    Rep Power
    64

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..



    Yahweh means in Arabic : Ya Hayy or Ya Al-Hayy (O Ever-living) يا حَي or يا الحَي
    Yahweh : Ya means (O or Oh) , hweh means Hayy or Al Hayy (its a calling upon The Living God)...

    Both of you my dear sister and my respected and noble brother ,watch this vid and you will understand in shaa Allah...


    May Allah lead your way to the path of the endless happiness Ameeeen



  5. #25
    IB Senior Member Array Hiroshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    757
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    1035
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ līl˙ View Post

    Judge Rutherford, followed by Charles T. Russell created a new "church," which in its system of organisation and administration is second to none in the world. There is very much we Muslims can learn from their enthusiasm and methodology. Read, "Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave" by Schelin. It is not their theology I am enamoured with but their modus operandi (the way they operate). Read, how this incorrigible sect came very close to conquering Germany before Hitler. Read, about their second come- back in West Germany. Think, why they are making a most concerted effort in Nigeria. Will the system or religion that prevails in Nigeria, be utlimately the norm of the rest of Africa! This giant is the hero of the majority of the African people south of the Sahara. Muslims must reflect.
    VIRILE SECT
    The "Jehovah's Witnesses," have made the most phenominal progress of all the religious sects of the past hundred years, on a percentage basis. The Bahaies are moving at a snails-pace in comparison, actually receding in ratio with the other Christian off-shoots. These "Witnesses" are the fittest in their fight against the other Christians as well as against the Muslims. Simply because they programme themselves five times a week in their "Kingdom Halls," and what they learn they implement during the week-ends. We Muslims are supposed to be "programmed" five times a day in our daily Salaat, but we have lost the true purpose of this Pillar of Islam. Our Salaat is for earning Sawaab (spiritual blessings) only.
    This says some really nice things about us. Whenever I get discouraged and downhearted I will read it again to cheer myself up. Thanks.

  6. #26
    IB Senior Member Array Hiroshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    757
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    1035
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by Amat Allah View Post

    Yahweh means in Arabic : Ya Hayy or Ya Al-Hayy (O Ever-living) يا حَي or يا الحَي
    Yahweh : Ya means (O or Oh) , hweh means Hayy or Al Hayy (its a calling upon The Living God)...

    Both of you my dear sister and my respected and noble brother ,watch this vid and you will understand in shaa Allah...


    May Allah lead your way to the path of the endless happiness Ameeeen
    May thanks, Amat Allah. Yufuf Estes is a marvelous character and very likeable.

    I noticed that he said that Allah is the name that the author of the Qur'an gives himself. Now that strikes me as odd. I don't believe that God in the Bible ever says: "My name is God." Does the Qur'an ever explicitly say that Allah is a name? The only reference that I could find was Surah 2:224. This verse seems to say that Allah has a name but doesn't tell us what it is.

  7. #27
    Soldier Through It! Array جوري's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    من ارض الكنانة
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    27,131
    Threads
    1280
    Reputation
    244555
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by Hiroshi View Post
    May thanks, Amat Allah. Yufuf Estes is a marvelous character and very likeable.

    I noticed that he said that Allah is the name that the author of the Qur'an gives himself. Now that strikes me as odd. I don't believe that God in the Bible ever says: "My name is God." Does the Qur'an ever explicitly say that Allah is a name? The only reference that I could find was Surah 2:224. This verse seems to say that Allah has a name but doesn't tell us what it is.
    1. Allah
    2. al-Rahman (The Compassionate)
    3. al-Rahim (The Merciful)
    4. al-Malik (The King, The Sovereign)
    5. al-Quddus (The Holy)
    6. al-Salam (The Author of Safety)
    7. al-Mu'min (The Giver of Peace)
    8. al-Muhaimin (The Protector)
    9. al-'Aziz (The Strong)
    10. al-Jabbar (The Compeller)
    11. al-Mutakabbir (The Majestic)
    12. al-Khaliq (The Creator)
    13. al-Bari (The Maker)
    14. al-Musawwir (The Fashioner)
    15. al-Ghaffar (The Great Forgiver)
    16. al-Qahhar (The Dominant)
    17. al-Wahhab (The Bestower)
    18. al-Razzaq (The Sustainer)
    19. al-Fattah (The Opener, The Reliever, The Judge)
    20. al-'Alim (The All-Knowing)
    21. al-Qabid (The Retainer, The Withholder)
    22. al-Basit (The Enlarger)
    23. al-Khafid (The Pleaser)
    24. al-Rafi' (The Elevator)
    25. al-Mu'izz (The Honourer)
    26. al-Mudhill (The Humiliator)
    27. al-Sami' (The All-Hearing, the Hearer)
    28. al-Basir (The All-Seeing)
    29. al-Hakam (The Judge)
    30. al-'Adl (The Just)
    31. al-Latif (The Subtle)
    32. al-Khabir (The Gracious, The Aware)
    33. al-Halim (The Clement, The Forebearing)
    34. al-'Azim (The Mighty)
    35. al-Ghafur (The Forgiving)
    36. al-Shakur (The Grateful, The Appreciative)
    37. al-'Aliyy (The High, The Sublime)
    38. al-Kabir (The Great)
    39. al-Hafiz (The Preserver/Protector) [see Qur'an 42:6]
    40. al-Muqit (The Protector, The Guardian, The Feeder, The Sustainer)
    41. al-Hasib (The Reckoner)
    42. al-Jalil (The Beneficent)
    43. al-Karim (The Bountiful, The Gracious)
    44. al-Raqib (The Watcher, The Watchful)
    45. al-Mujib (The Responsive, The Hearkener)
    46. al-Wasi' (The Vast, The All-Embracing)
    47. al-Hakim al-Mutlaq (The Judge of Judges)
    48. al-Wadud (The Loving)
    49. al-Majid (The Glorious)
    50. al-Ba'ith (The Raiser [from death], The True)
    51. al-Shahid (The Witness)
    52. al-Haqq (The Truth, The True)
    53. al-Wakil (The Trustee)
    54. al-Qawiyy (The Strong)
    55. al-Matin (The Firm)
    56. al-Waliyy (The Protecting Friend)
    57. al-Hamid (The Praiseworthy)
    58. al-Muhsi (The Counter)
    59. al-Mubdi (The Originator)
    60. al-Mu'id (The Reproducer)
    61. al-Muhyi (The Restorer, The Giver of Life)
    62. al-Mumit (The Destroyer)
    63. al-Hayy (The Alive)
    64. al-Qayyum (The Self-Subsisting)
    65. al-Wajid (The Perceiver)
    66. al-Wahid (The One)
    67. al-Samad (The Independent)
    68. al-Qadir (The Capable)
    69. al-Muqtadir (The Dominant)
    70. al-Muqaddim (The Promoter)
    71. al-Mu'akhkhir (The Retarder)
    72. al-Awwal (The First)
    73. al-Akhir (The Last)
    74. al-Zahir (The Manifest)
    75. al-Batin (The Hidden)
    76. al-Wali (The Governor)
    77. al-Muta'ali (The High Exalted)
    78. al-Barr (The Righteous)
    79. al-Tawwab (The Relenting)
    80. al-'Afuww (The Forgiver)
    81. al-Muntaqim (The Avenger)
    82. al-Ra'uf (The Compassionate)
    83. Malik al-Mulk (The Owner of Sovereignty)
    84. Dhu'l Jalal wa'l-Ikram (The Lord of Majesty and Bounty)
    85. al-Muqsit (The Equitable)
    86. al-Jami (The Gatherer, The Collector)
    87. al-Ghani (The Self-Sufficient)
    88. al-Mughni (The Enricher)
    89. al-Mu'ti (The Bestower, The Giver)
    90. al-Mani' (The Withholder)
    91. al-Nafi' (The Propitious)
    92. al-Darr (The Distresser)
    93. al-Nur (The Light)
    94. al-Hadi (The Guide)
    95. al-Azuli (The Eternal)
    96. al-Baqi (The Everlasting)
    97. al-Warith (The Heir)
    98. al-Rashid (The Guide to the Right Path)
    99. al-Sabur (The Patient)


    those are the names of God that we know.. and there are those that we don't.. you are so apt at quoting ahadith and Quran, how about sitting down and reading then before you come argue with us?




    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him.اتبع طرق الهدى ولا يضرك قلة السالكين
    وإياك وطرق الضلالة ولا تغتر بكثرة الهالكين





  8. #28
    Soldier Through It! Array جوري's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    من ارض الكنانة
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    27,131
    Threads
    1280
    Reputation
    244555
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by Hiroshi View Post
    This says some really nice things about us. Whenever I get discouraged and downhearted I will read it again to cheer myself up. Thanks.
    That is indeed more important than being on the path of the righteous!

    all the best




    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him.اتبع طرق الهدى ولا يضرك قلة السالكين
    وإياك وطرق الضلالة ولا تغتر بكثرة الهالكين





  9. #29
    IB Senior Member Array Hiroshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    757
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    1035
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ līl˙ View Post

    1. Allah
    2. al-Rahman (The Compassionate)
    3. al-Rahim (The Merciful)
    4. al-Malik (The King, The Sovereign)
    5. al-Quddus (The Holy)
    6. al-Salam (The Author of Safety)
    7. al-Mu'min (The Giver of Peace)
    8. al-Muhaimin (The Protector)
    9. al-'Aziz (The Strong)

    .....

    those are the names of God that we know.. and there are those that we don't.. you are so apt at quoting ahadith and Quran, how about sitting down and reading then before you come argue with us?
    Peace, The Vales Lily.

    I believe that Al-Bukhari and Muslim record Muhammed as saying that Allah has 99 names but they both do not include a listing.

    There is a hadith that does include the listing that you give here but I have read that many scholars reject it as "weak".

    See:
    http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=67

    Aside from this "weak" hadith I cannot see any statement anywhere saying that "Allah" is a name. Is there anything more?

  10. #30
    Soldier Through It! Array جوري's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    من ارض الكنانة
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    27,131
    Threads
    1280
    Reputation
    244555
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by Hiroshi View Post
    Peace, The Vales Lily.

    I believe that Al-Bukhari and Muslim record Muhammed as saying that Allah has 99 names but they both do not include a listing.

    There is a hadith that does include the listing that you give here but I have read that many scholars reject it as "weak".

    See:
    http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=67

    Aside from this "weak" hadith I cannot see any statement anywhere saying that "Allah" is a name. Is there anything more?

    These are the names God used to describe his being in the Quran..
    here is an example:



    hmmmmmmm should I take the living word of God or some random site you googled (which btw I didn't even bother look at)
    further I have stated that God has more than 99 names.. 99 simply happen to be those that we know of as they are dispersed all throughout the Quran, whether the hadith is weak or not!

    all the best
    Last edited by جوري; 09-03-2010 at 11:23 AM.




    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him.اتبع طرق الهدى ولا يضرك قلة السالكين
    وإياك وطرق الضلالة ولا تغتر بكثرة الهالكين





  11. #31
    ★ Islam is THE way ★ Array Insaanah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    3,762
    Threads
    151
    Reputation
    138371
    Rep Power
    103

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    28:30 But when he came to it, he was called from the right side of the valley in a blessed spot - from the tree, "O Moses, Verily I am Allah , Lord of the worlds."
    Last edited by Insaanah; 09-03-2010 at 11:24 AM.


    (Click on the pink)
    Those who bear the Throne, and all who are round about it, glorify the praises of their Lord and believe in Him and ask forgiveness for those who believe (saying): "Our Lord, You have encompassed all things in mercy and knowledge, so forgive those who have repented and followed Your way and protect them from the punishment of Hellfire.
    Our Lord, and admit them to Gardens of Eden which You have promised them and whoever was righteous among their fathers, their spouses and their offspring. Indeed, it is You who is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
    And protect them from the evil consequences [of their deeds]. And he whom You protect from evil consequences that Day - You will have given him mercy. And that is the great attainment." (40:7-9)
    And you will see the angels surrounding the Throne, glorifying the praises of their Lord. And it will be judged between them in truth, and it will be said, "Praise be to Allah, Lord of the worlds!" (39:75)

  12. #32
    college prisoner Array abdussattar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    On my way to the grave
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    734
    Threads
    30
    Reputation
    3151
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Aaaaaaaaaaaah so many long posts I cant read them!

    Can someone explain who is Jehova in one or two small paragraphs? Jazakallah



  13. #33
    IB Senior Member Array Hiroshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    757
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    1035
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ līl˙ View Post
    hmmmmmmm should I take the living word of God or some random site you googled (which btw I didn't even bother look at)
    further I have stated that God has more than 99 names.. 99 simply happen to be those that we know of as they are dispersed all throughout the Quran, whether the hadith is weak or not!

    all the best
    It seems that I cannot post any more replies to the "Important Request Jehovas Witnesses" thread. Have the moderators put a stop to the discussion? If so, won't they probably do the same to this thread? Maybe we should put this on hold and return to it later.

  14. #34
    Slave of Allah Array Amat Allah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nowhere...
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,915
    Threads
    172
    Reputation
    40107
    Rep Power
    64

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by Hiroshi View Post
    May thanks, Amat Allah. Yufuf Estes is a marvelous character and very likeable. I noticed that he said that Allah is the name that the author of the Qur'an gives himself. Now that strikes me as odd. I don't believe that God in the Bible ever says: "My name is God." Does the Qur'an ever explicitly say that Allah is a name? The only reference that I could find was Surah 2:224. This verse seems to say that Allah has a name but doesn't tell us what it is.



    You are very wellcome my respected and noble brother...

    May Allah give you the best of this life and of the hereafter...Ameeen

    and yes ,you are right May Allah bless Yusuf Estes and be pleased with him ...Ameen

    as our precious sister Insaanah mentioned above

    Quote Originally Posted by Insaanah View Post
    28:30 But when he came to it, he was called from the right side of the valley in a blessed spot - from the tree, "O Moses, Verily I am Allah , Lord of the worlds."



    and

    In Surat Al Baqarah (2:255):

    اللَّـهُ لَا إِلَـٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ الْحَيُّ الْقَيُّومُ ۚ لَا تَأْخُذُهُ سِنَةٌ وَلَا نَوْمٌ ۚ لَّهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ
    وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ ۗ مَن ذَا الَّذِي يَشْفَعُ عِندَهُ إِلَّا بِإِذْنِهِ ۚ يَعْلَمُ مَا بَيْنَ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَمَا
    خَلْفَهُمْ ۖ وَلَا يُحِيطُونَ بِشَيْءٍ مِّنْ عِلْمِهِ إِلَّا بِمَا شَاءَ ۚ وَسِعَ كُرْسِيُّهُ السَّمَاوَاتِ "وَالْأَرْضَ ۖ وَلَا يَئُودُهُ حِفْظُهُمَا ۚ وَهُوَ الْعَلِيُّ الْعَظِيمُ


    "Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (there is no deity except Him has the right to be worshipped), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber, nor sleep overtake Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter. And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great."

    [This Verse 2:255 is called Ayat-ul-Kursi.]

    at the begining of this verse here saying there is no god but Allah (the Only One deserves to Be worshipped Alone)

    (Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa) its like saying : God, there is no god but Him

    and to make you understand more let me put your name in an example by Allah`s willing:


    Hiroshi, la nasrani huna illa huwa

    Hiroshi, there is no christian here but him

    isn`t it clear here that Hiroshi is a name and we are talking about someone his name is Hiroshi?

    got the meaning my noble brother?



    and this is a proof that the word Allah is a name my respected brother and it is not the only one ,cause if you read the Qur`aan you will find many names and attributes of Allah, Who belongs to Him all Might and Majesty...

    as you see in the rest of the verse above too...

    and

    like here (59: 22,23,24) :

    "هُوَ اللَّـهُ الَّذِي لَا إِلَـٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ ۖ عَالِمُ الْغَيْبِ وَالشَّهَادَةِ ۖ هُوَ الرَّحْمَـٰنُ الرَّحِيمُ ﴿٢٢﴾ هُوَ اللَّـهُ الَّذِي لَا إِلَـٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ الْمَلِكُ الْقُدُّوسُ السَّلَامُ الْمُؤْمِنُ الْمُهَيْمِنُ الْعَزِيزُ الْجَبَّارُ
    الْمُتَكَبِّرُ ۚ سُبْحَانَ اللَّـهِ عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ ﴿٢٣﴾ هُوَ اللَّـهُ الْخَالِقُ الْبَارِئُ الْمُصَوِّرُ ۖ لَهُ الْأَسْمَاءُ الْحُسْنَىٰ ۚ يُسَبِّحُ لَهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ ۖ وَهُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ ﴿٢٤ "

    "He is the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful. (22) He is Allah than Whom there is La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He) the King, the Holy, the One Free from all defects, the Giver of security, the Watcher over His creatures, the All-Mighty, the Compeller, the Supreme. Glory be to Allah! (High is He) above all that they associate as partners with Him. (23) He is Allah, the Creator, the Inventor of all things, the Bestower of forms. To Him belong the Best Names. All that is in the heavens and the earth glorify Him. And He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise. (24) "

    and not to forget that "Allah" is the same word used by Christian Arabs and Jewish Arabs in their Bible, centuries before Islam came.

    The word "Allah" is the perfect description of the "One God" of monotheism for Jews, Christians and Muslims!

    Is "Allah" only for Islam and Muslims?
    [No! It is for All Three Abrahamic Faiths.]

    On page one [1] of Genesis in the Old Testament, we find the word "Allah" seventeen [17] times.

    "Allah" comes from the Arabic word "elah"a god' or something worshiped. - (Arabic) means '

    This word (elah) can be made plural (gods), as in "aleha" and it can be male or female just as the word in English can be "goddess."

    "Allah" comes from "elaha" but it brings more clarification and understanding.

    Allah = Has no gender (not male and not female)
    "He" is used only out of respect and dignity - not for gender

    Allah = Always singular - Never plural
    "We" is used only as the "Royal WE" just as in English for royalty

    Allah = Means "The Only One to be Worshipped"

    then surely Allah Is A Name and not any name but The Name of The Only God Has right To Be Worshipped alone with no partners ,The God and Lord of Muslims, Christians, Jewish, all people from other beliefs and every living and non...

    I hope that will understand my respected brother...

    want to know more visit this website:


    May Allah be with you , make you from the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind and lead your way to the peath of the endless happiness...Ameen

    please if there is any Q, don`t hesitate to ask whatever you want whenever you want and by Allah`s willing ,will try my best to make you understand...ok?

    leaving you under Allah`s sight and care...

    with all my respect, your sister:

    Amat Allah
    Last edited by Amat Allah; 09-03-2010 at 01:47 PM.



  15. #35
    IB Oldskool Array Ramadhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indonesia
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    6,257
    Threads
    63
    Reputation
    52763
    Rep Power
    65

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by Hiroshi View Post
    Peace, The Vales Lily.

    I believe that Al-Bukhari and Muslim record Muhammed as saying that Allah has 99 names but they both do not include a listing.

    There is a hadith that does include the listing that you give here but I have read that many scholars reject it as "weak".

    See:
    http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=67

    Aside from this "weak" hadith I cannot see any statement anywhere saying that "Allah" is a name. Is there anything more?

    Allah SWT revealed His 99 names throughout the Qur'an.
    I'm surprised that you didn't know this well-established fact, as I see you keep churning out those misinterpreted verses and hadiths.

  16. #36
    الكتاب والسنة Array Ahmed M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    360
    Threads
    30
    Reputation
    4160
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    When the ignorant are stubborn on their fact less arguements, say Salam, and be harsh towards the kuffar.




  17. #37
    IB Senior Member Array Hiroshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    757
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    1035
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by Amat Allah View Post

    as our precious sister Insaanah mentioned above

    28:30 But when he came to it, he was called from the right side of the valley in a blessed spot - from the tree, "O Moses, Verily I am Allah , Lord of the worlds."
    Okay. In the Bible's account of this incident exactly the same thing happens. When Moses comes to the burning bush, the one speaking to him declares himself to be God.

    But then Moses asks God what his name is. And God tells Moses that his name is Jehovah. God then adds: "This is my name forever." This is in Exodus 3:15.

    I fully expect that no one on this thread will have any regard for what the Bible has to say. But I mention this to show you my own point of view here. After God introduced himself as "God", or "Allah" in Arabic, Moses still inquired as to what God's name was. This tells me that God's name was not "Allah".

    I hope that I haven't broken all the rules by citing a Bible scripture.

  18. #38
    Soldier Through It! Array جوري's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    من ارض الكنانة
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    27,131
    Threads
    1280
    Reputation
    244555
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by Hiroshi View Post
    Okay. In the Bible's account of this incident exactly the same thing happens. When Moses comes to the burning bush, the one speaking to him declares himself to be God.

    But then Moses asks God what his name is. And God tells Moses that his name is Jehovah. God then adds: "This is my name forever." This is in Exodus 3:15.

    I fully expect that no one on this thread will have any regard for what the Bible has to say. But I mention this to show you my own point of view here. After God introduced himself as "God", or "Allah" in Arabic, Moses still inquired as to what God's name was. This tells me that God's name was not "Allah".

    I hope that I haven't broken all the rules by citing a Bible scripture.
    what language did god speak? did he speak English? Latin? Hebrew, Aramaic?
    Why not ask the Jews what they call God, do they refer to him as 'Jehova'? ''Oh he?''
    I mean if you are monolithic in your beliefs, don't expect others to acquiesce to your understanding, it makes you seem all the more uneducated..if that is at all possible..

    all the best




    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him.اتبع طرق الهدى ولا يضرك قلة السالكين
    وإياك وطرق الضلالة ولا تغتر بكثرة الهالكين





  19. #39
    IB Senior Member Array Hiroshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    757
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    1035
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by abdussattar View Post
    Aaaaaaaaaaaah so many long posts I cant read them!

    Can someone explain who is Jehova in one or two small paragraphs? Jazakallah
    God.

    We all agree on that, right?

  20. #40
    IB Senior Member Array Hiroshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    757
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    1035
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Names of the prophets and their meaning..


    Quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ līl˙ View Post


    what language did god speak? did he speak English? Latin? Hebrew, Aramaic?
    Why not ask the Jews what they call God, do they refer to him as 'Jehova'? ''Oh he?''
    I mean if you are monolithic in your beliefs, don't expect others to acquiesce to your understanding, it makes you seem all the more uneducated..if that is at all possible..

    all the best
    God surely spoke to Moses in Hebrew on that occasion. I will do as you suggest and ask the Jews what they call God and what the name means.

    I don't expect you to acquiesce to my understanding. I wanted to find out what you believe and why. And I think I have done that. I have learned more about Islam in just a few weeks on Islamic Board than I have learned during years of discussions with people in my neighborhood.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
BACK TO TOP