/* */

PDA

View Full Version : When Kindness Is Met with Ingratitude

BlissfullyJaded
03-07-2005, 02:00 AM
:sl:

When Kindness Is Met with Ingratitude
By Adil Salahi

In our present topic of fostering ties of kinship through kindness to relatives, it is universally accepted that such an attitude is bound to benefit not only the individual and his relatives, but also society at large. It strengthens the unity of the community and establishes its structure on very solid foundations. Moreover, it is something that comes naturally. There is something within us that draws us close to our relatives. We feel that we belong to the same branch of a large tree. There is much to unite us and keep us close together. We remain together through a great deal of what life has to offer.

In spite of all this, some people do not give the ties of kinship their true value. Some go even further than that - they meet kindness by their relatives with ingratitude. This is bound to hurt those who are at the receiving end of such treatment. Nothing is more painful than the lack of appreciation by those to whom we are attached.

When a person finds his kindness so badly received, his immediate reaction is to deal back in the same measure. On a larger scale, these traits may eventually weaken the society as a whole and cause division amongst its people.

Therefore, It is not surprising that Islam, which calls for the Muslim community to always be united and closely knit, places great emphasis on the need for fostering the ties of kinship. As part of this emphasis, it counsels those whose kindness is not properly appreciated, to not react in the same way.

Abu Hurairah transmitted a hadith that says that a man came to the Prophet (PBUH) and said: "Messenger of Allah, I have some relatives whose relationship I foster but they cut me off. I am kind to them but they are unkind to me. They treat me harshly and I forbear." The Prophet (PBUH) said: "If what you say is true, it is as if you are making them eat burning ashes. You will continue to have Allah's support against them as long as you maintain your attitude toward them." (Related by Muslim and Ahmad)

We note in this hadith that the man brings his case to the Prophet (PBUH) in a way which suggests that he is deeply hurt. He does everything that can be expected of a relative who is keen on fostering his ties with his kinsfolk, but everything he does is met with a hostile attitude. No one would blame him if he wonders how long he is expected to continue with this sort of relationship which most of us would consider untenable. How long can one continue to show kindness to someone who, not only continues to be ungrateful but also rebuffs his kind relative.

We have all heard of people who behave in this way. Although their attitude fills us with disgust, it remains a fact of life. How should one treat such relatives? It is clear from the hadith that the Prophet (PBUH) counsels his questioner to continue to be kind to his relatives despite their hostility.

First, he tells him that they are like a person who eats burning ashes. It is a highly vivid image of a hungry person who finds nothing to eat except something which badly burns his stomach, in addition to its being absolutely distasteful. While no one eats something like this if he can ever help it, the image describes the condition of a person experiencing deep and genuine regret. When they realize how Allah will reward their kind relative and punish them for the bad deal they had given him, they also realize that it is completely their own fault.

It is not at all difficult to return kindness. A genuinely kind person, like the Prophet's questioner, is happy with even the slightest expression of appreciation. However, some people are unkind to their relatives for a variety of reasons that are simply unacceptable in Islam. A relative may be in a low social position, which causes his more privileged relatives to look down upon him. Someone who may have managed to acquire wealth over a short period may consider that his poorer relatives want to trick him out of a portion of his wealth. Some people find their relatives not very intelligent, or they consider their company not very pleasant. Whichever reason makes someone unkind to his relatives cannot be considered acceptable.

Indeed, such reasons should encourage us to be more kind to our relatives. If we can help them, then our help should be forthcoming. The more less-fortunate than us they seem to be, the more they are in need of our kindness and the easier it is for us to be kind to them. Our duty toward them acquires even greater urgency. Moreover, it earns us more rewards from Allah. The less we expect for our kindness, the more genuine it is. Allah rewards us not only for the kindness we show, but also for the motive behind it. If our actions are free from any self-interest, our reward is always greater.

Yet, it is difficult to continue to be kind when the recipients of our kindness are hostile toward us. For this reason, the Prophet (PBUH) reassures his questioner that he will always enjoy Allah's support as long as he maintains his highly commendable attitude.

To a Muslim, this reassurance is very real indeed. It is not merely a moral support, but it strengthens us in our daily lives. It gives us what we need to have, so that we can do what Islam expects of us. It encourages us to be even more kind to those who are unkind to us. What is more, it gives us reassurance that when Allah supports us, we are in no need of support from anyone else.
Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
03-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Masha'Allah, very good article.

The subject is very important. I often tell people that only LOVE can defeat HATRED.

The Qur'an agrees fully on this point,

41:34 Nor can goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: Then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy dearest friend!

In a world filled with animosity and conflict, implementing this Islamic principle is certainly a challenge. But we can be assured that the reward will be great. We should struggle to spread love to everyone. To be kind and good to those who are rude and harsh.

These are the teachings of Islam. May Allah Glorified and Exalted help us to implement them.

:w:

Sahabiyaat
03-07-2005, 08:58 AM
:applaud: very gud

in todays society where hate and enmity r common...ppl need to know wat to do if they r faced with such treatment ..and its not rare...it happens in alot of families.

once agen a very gud article :thumbs_up

Khayal
06-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Assalaam O Alaikum Wa rahamatullahe Wabarakatu

Very good sharing, jazak ALLAH khair. :rose:

Wa Alaikum Assalaam Wa rahamatullahe Wabarakatu

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Arwa
06-06-2005, 06:13 PM
wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

masha'Allah great post! :sister:

Jazakallah khair for sharing!

41:34 Nor can goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: Then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy dearest friend!

Excellent ayah relating to the topic masha'Allah! :thumbs_up :applaud:

Nablus
06-06-2005, 06:35 PM
this is what we suffer from

hatred every where among brothers ,friends ,families

Return to Islam

and every thing will go smoothly and peacefully

May ALLAH GUIDE US CLOSER TO THE TRUTH

AMEEN

Mu'maneen
06-07-2005, 03:31 AM

Mashah'Allah. Jazakallahkher Fe Dunya Wal Akhira for the excellent post Dear Sister of Islam. Such kindness will actually lead to double punishment to the bad, and even greater Hasanat to the one who was kind. No wonder one of Allah's great names is Al-'Adl (The Just).

---------------------

Vist my new Islamic Site:
http://hstrial-besmail.homestead.com/islam.html

أحمد
06-08-2005, 08:45 AM

:D Maa-Shaa-Allah . . . :applaud: Jazak-Allah :thumbs_up . . . :shade:

Khayal
05-16-2008, 08:04 PM

*Bump*

M H Kahn
05-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Abu Hurairah transmitted a hadith that says that a man came to the Prophet (PBUH) and said: "Messenger of Allah, I have some relatives whose relationship I foster but they cut me off. I am kind to them but they are unkind to me. They treat me harshly and I forbear." The Prophet (PBUH) said: "If what you say is true, it is as if you are making them eat burning ashes. You will continue to have Allah's support against them as long as you maintain your attitude toward them." (Related by Muslim and Ahmad)
Things like this happen more than often; but we have to obey the Islamic rules. You will show kindness for reward from Allah, not for gratitude from any humans.

cute123
05-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Jazaikhair akhee for sharing. Its a very practical problem.

Amat Allah
05-31-2008, 03:37 PM
mashaa Allah ,may Allah reward you with Jannat Al Ferdous my dear...

Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.