/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hajj and Riba

Bee
03-10-2005, 09:44 AM
:sl:
I am aware that Hajj is fardh on a person who can afford it. I am also aware that Riba is Haraam in Islam.
Now imagine a scenario where a person is in debt (On riba off course) for a lawful purpose say house purchase and is paying the monthly loan repayments of hefty amounts. Such a person if plans to perform hajj (and can afford it too despite the loan repayments), what do you think is obligatory on him? To repay the loan first and then offer hajj? Or to go on with the loan, gradually repaying it over the years and perform hajj in the meantime.
I am really confused on this one.
Any comments????
:w:
Bushra

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
kadafi
03-10-2005, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bee
:sl:
I am aware that Hajj is fardh on a person who can afford it. I am also aware that Riba is Haraam in Islam.
Now imagine a scenario where a person is in debt (On riba off course) for a lawful purpose say house purchase and is paying the monthly loan repayments of hefty amounts. Such a person if plans to perform hajj (and can afford it too despite the loan repayments), what do you think is obligatory on him? To repay the loan first and then offer hajj? Or to go on with the loan, gradually repaying it over the years and perform hajj in the meantime.
I am really confused on this one.
Any comments????
Bushra

The same question has been asked at islam-qa and answered Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Question:

My parents have taken out a mortgage for a house sometime ago, they are currently paying interest on this loan. But now they have decided to go on Hajj, they still have 15 years left on the loan. Is it permissible for them to go on Hajj even though they owe money? Or will they have to wait 15 years first? Can they in the meantime do Umrah if it is not permissible to do Hajj?
Answer:
It is permissible for them to go for Hajj if they pay the installment that is currently due, and they do not have to wait until they have paid all installments. If they are able to pay the current installment and are able to go for Hajj, then it is obligatory for them to do so. The same applies to ‘Umrah. They also have to repent to Allaah from the riba which they have taken upon themselves. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

Bee
03-11-2005, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the info Bro but logically speaking if a person is doing something haraam..his first and foremost responsibility should be to get out of it and then perform hajj, atleast thats how i see it. Also iv heard that a person needs to discharge all his obligations before going on hajj...like marrying off children of marriagable age and repaying loans etc.
what say you??

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.