/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Seek Refuge in Allah from the Torment of the Grave

Khattab
03-11-2005, 12:58 AM
:sl:

Brothers and Sisters,

I have posted this up so anyone who doesnt know will inshallah get know. We should see refuge in Allah (SWT) from the trials of the grave. The Prophet Muhammed (SWH) said we should say everyday "Allah, I seek refuge in You from the punishment of the Hellfire, and from the torment of the grave, and from the trials of life and death and from the trials of the Dajjal (False Messiah)."

Also I heard in a talk according to a hadeeth (not sure of number and location hopefully some can post it up) that we, me and you will go through in the grave trials similar to the of the Dajjal, the sahahba (peace be upon them) where crying out load through the whole masjid when they heard this news from the Prophet Muhammed (SWH). This says to me we will have biengs coming to us saying they are Allah, but I have no knowledge just my opinion but everyday seek refuge in Allah (SWT) by the trials of the grave.

Download excellent talk (7.5MB) by Anwar Al-Awlaki about it:

http://s15.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...62CJ9C8MJOHGAI

To be saved from the torments of the grave and the punishments from the Hell-Fire

It is imperative that we must know and believe in Islâm. One of the basic truth and realities of life is that all of us will taste death. When we die, we will be questioned about our Faith. Those who are ignorant of Islâm will surely taste the torments of the grave and the grievous punishments that await them for their ignorance and disbelief:

Anas Bin Malik t narrated that Allâh’s Messenger r said, “When (Allâh’s) slave is put in his grave and his companions return and he even hears their footsteps, two angels come to him and make him sit and ask, 'What did you use to say about this man (i.e. Muhammad)?’ The faithful believer will say, 'I testify that he is Allâh’s slave and His Messenger.’ Then they will say to him, 'Look at your place in the Hell Fire; Allâh has given you a place in Paradise instead of it.’ So he will see both his places.” (Qatada said, “We were informed that his grave would be made spacious.” Then Qatada went back to the narration of Anas who said;) Whereas a hypocrite or a non-believer will be asked, “What did you use to say about this man.” He will reply, “I do not know; but I used to say what the people used to say.” So they will say to him, “Neither did you know nor did you take the guidance (by reciting the Qur’ân).” Then he will be hit with iron hammers once, that he will send such a cry as everything near to him will hear, except Jinn and human beings.” (Bukhâri 2/456 and 422)

Anas Bin Malik t narrated that Allâh’s Messenger r said “If you were not (to abandon) the burying of the dead (in the grave), I would have certainly supplicated Allâh that He should make you listen to the torment of the grave.” (Muslim 6860)

Abu Sa’id t narrated that when the Prophet r went out to the prayer and saw the people looking as if they were grinning he said, “If you were to keep much in remembrance death which is the cutter-off of pleasures, it would distract you from what I see. Keep much in remembrance death, which is the cutter-off of pleasure, for a day does not come to the grave without its saying, 'I am the house of exile, I am the house of solitude, I am the house of dust, I am the house of worms.’ When a believer dies the grave says to him, 'Welcome and greeting; you are indeed the dearest to me of those who walk upon me. I have been given charge of you today and you have come to me and you will see how I shall treat you.’ It will then expand for him as far as the eye can see and a door to Paradise will be opened for him. But when the profligate or infidel is buried the grave says to him, ‘No welcome and no greeting to you; you are the most hateful to me of those who walk upon me. I have been given charge of you today and you have come to me and you will see how I shall treat you.’ 'Abu Sa'id told that Allâh’s Messenger r indicated it by interlacing his fingers. Then he said, “Seventy dragons will be put in charge of him of such a nature that if one of them were to breathe on the earth it would produce no crops as long as the world lasted; and they will bite and scratch him till he is brought to the reckoning.” He also reported Allâh’s Messenger r as saying, “The grave is one of the gardens of Paradise, or one of the pits of Hell.” (Tirmidhi 5352)

Al Bara Bin Azib t narrated: “We went out with Allâh’s Messenger r accompanying the bier of a man of the Ansar. When we reached his grave, it was not yet dug. So Allâh’s Messenger r sat down and we also sat down around him as if birds were over our heads. He had in his hand a stick with which he was scratching the ground. He then raised his head and said Seek refuge with Allâh from the punishment in the grave. He said it twice or thrice. The version of Jabir adds here: He hears the beat of their sandals when they go back, and at that moment he is asked: “O so and so! Who is your Rabb, what is your religion, and who is your Prophet?” Hannad’s version says, “Two angels will come to him. They will make him sit up and ask him, “Who is your Rabb?” He will reply, “My Rabb is Allâh.” They will ask him, “What is your religion?” He will reply, “My religion is Islâm.” They will ask him: “What is your opinion about the man who was sent on a mission among you?” He will reply, “He is Allâh’s Messenger.” They will ask, “Who made you aware of this?” He will reply: “I read Allâh’s Book, believed in it, and considered it true; which is verified by Allâh’s words: ‘Allâh establishes those who believe with the word that stands firm in this world and the next.’” The agreed version reads: “Then a crier will call from Heaven: ‘My servant has spoken the truth, so spread a bed for him from Paradise; clothe him from Paradise; and open a door for him into Paradise.’ So some of its air and perfume will come to him, and a space will be made for him as far as the eye can see. He also mentioned the death of the infidel saying, His spirit will be restored to his body. Two angels will come to him, make him sit up and ask him: “Who is your Rabb?” He will reply, “Alas, alas! I do not know.” They will ask him: “What is your religion?” He will reply, Alas, alas! “I do not know.” They will ask, “Who was the man who was sent on a mission among you?” He will reply, “Alas, alas! I do not know.” Then a crier will call from Heaven: “He has lied, so spread a bed for him from Hell; clothe him from Hell; and open for him a door into Hell.” Then some of its heat and pestilential wind will come to him, and his grave will be compressed, so that his ribs will be crushed together. Jabir’s version adds: One who is blind and dumb will then be placed in charge of him, having a sledge-hammer such that if a mountain were struck with it, it would become dust. He will give him a blow with it which will be heard by everything between the east and the west except by men and jinn, and he will become dust. Then his spirit will be restored to him. (Abu Dawud 4735)

Those who will fail to answer the questions in the grave will be doomed to stay in the Hell-Fire. They will suffer the severe punishments for not knowing Islâm and denying it as the True Religion from Allâh I. The following are some Ahâdîth that further describe the worst life that the unbelievers will suffer in the eternal world to come:

Anuman ibn Bashir t narrated: “I heard the Prophet r saying, ‘The least punished person of the (Hell) Fire people on the Day of Resurrection will be a man under whose arch of the feet two smoldering embers will be placed. Because of which his brain will boil just like Al-Mirjal (copper vessel) or a Qum-qum (narrow-necked vessel) is boiling with water.’” (Bukhâri 8/ 567)

Abu Hurairah t narrated that Allâh’s Messenger r said, “Your (ordinary) fire is one of 70 parts of the (Hell) Fire.” Someone asked, “O Allâh’s Messenger r! This (ordinary) fire would have been sufficient (torture the non-believers).” Allâh’s Messenger r said, “The (Hell) Fire has 69 parts more than the ordinary (worldly) fire, each part is as hot as this (worldly) fire.” (Bukhâri 4/487 and Muslim)

It is for our own salvation, therefore, that we must have an ample knowledge of Islâm to be able to save ourselves from the torments of the grave and the grievous punishments in the Hell-Fire. We must know how to strengthen our Faith and to be Righteous by doing good deeds based on the Qur’ân and the Sunnah for the sole pleasure of Allâh the Almighty.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
_salam_
03-12-2005, 02:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hash

Some brothers do not believe in the punishment of the grave, even though the authentic proof is there.

:w:
Really?!? I've never heard of a Muslim not believing in this. Do they not believe in the punishment of the grave just for muslims or do they not believe in it at all.

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-12-2005, 03:12 AM
SubhanAllah, i'm discussing the same issue on two forums at the same time. Okay here is the verse I am posting:
40:46 In front of the Fire will they be brought, morning and evening: And (the sentence will be) on the Day that Judgment will be established: "Cast ye the People of Pharaoh into the severest Penalty!"

Ibn Kathir has mentioned some interesting narrations on this verse.

But the punishment of the grave is a certain reality.

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-12-2005, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amir
Download excellent talk (7.5MB) by Anwar Al-Awlaki about it:

http://s15.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...62CJ9C8MJOHGAI
Yes! That is an excellent series! JazakAllah for the link br. Amir!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansar Al-'Adl
03-14-2005, 07:45 PM
From: http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/eng...hFatwaID=29836

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

As regards your question, we’d like to state that the issue of the punishment and bliss in the grave is a well-grounded fact that is based on the Qur’an and authentic Sunnah of the Prophet. Every Muslim should believe in these things without asking about the way they take place because this is beyond man’s comprehension.

Elaborating on this issue, we’d like to cite the fatwa issued by The Saudi House of Fatwa which reads:

“The punishment and the bliss in the grave, and the questioning of the two angels are among the issues that Ahl As-Sunnah wal Jama`ah (the mainstream Muslims) have unanimously agreed upon. This is based on some evidences from the Qur’an and the authentic Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

The evidences from the Qur’an are as follows:

1- Allah Almighty says: “While a dreadful doom encompassed Pharaoh's folk.þThe Fire; they are exposed to it morning and evening; and on the day when the Hour upriseth (it is said): Cause Pharaoh’s folk to enter the most awful doom.” (Ghafir: 45-46) This verse explicitly proves the existence of punishment in the grave before the Day of Judgment.

2- Allah Almighty says: “Thou could see, when the wrong doers reach the pangs of death and the angels stretch their hands out, saying: Deliver up your souls. This day ye are awarded doom of degradation for that ye spoke concerning Allah other than the truth, and scorned, His portents.” (Al-An`am: 93) This is an address to the wrong doers while they are dying, informing them that they would be severely tormented on that very day of their death. If the punishment were to be postponed to the Day of Judgment, they would not have been told: “This day ye are awarded”. This proves that there is a torment in the grave.

3- Allah Almighty says: “And verily, for those who do wrong, there is a punishment beyond that. But most of them know not.” (At-Tur: 47) This verse apparently indicates that the first punishment is that in the grave, for it would be incorrect to interpret it as referring to the punishment in this life because many wrong doers are not punished during their lifetime.

4- Allah Almighty says: “And We shall chastise them twice; then they will be relegated to a painful doom.” (At-Tawbah: 101) The first torment in the verse refers to the punishment in life and the second one refers to the torment of the grave. Allah then says: “Then they will be relegated to a painful doom…”, which refers to the torment of the Hereafter.

The evidences from the Sunnah are more explicit and detailed. Here are some examples:

1- It is reported in the two Sahihs (authentic collections of hadiths) of Al-Bukhari and Muslim that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) once passed by two graves and said: “These two persons are being tortured but not for a major sin (to avoid). One of them never saved himself from being soiled with his urine, while the other used to go about with calumnies (to make enmity between friends).”

2- It is reported in the Sahih of Muslim that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “It has been revealed to me that you people will be put to trial nearly like the trial of Ad-Dajjal (antichrist), in your graves. If it were not for the reason that you would stop burying (your dead) in the graves on listening to the torment in the grave which I am listening to, I would have certainly made you hear that.”

3- It is reported also in the Sahih of Muslim that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “When any one of you completes the last Tashahhud, he should seek refuge with Allah from four (trials): the torment of Hell, the torment of grave, the trial of life and death, and the evil of the trial of al-Masikh Ad-Dajjaal (Antichrist).”

It is worth stressing here that all these hadiths are authentic and related from the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) with a continuous chain of reliable transmitters and whoever does not believe in what they say is in a great danger. The Sheikh of Islam, Ibn Taymiyyah, is quoted as saying: ‘There are many authentic hadiths that prove the existence of the punishment and the bliss in the grave to whoever deserves them, and also the questioning of the two angels in the grave.’

Therefore, every one has to repose faith in these things without asking about the way they take place because this is beyond man's comprehension.”

Khayal
01-17-2007, 12:30 AM

JazaakAllah khayr for this posting.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.