/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Selected verses

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-12-2005, 02:54 AM
:sl:
Insha'Allah, we can post selected verses from our scriptures here for others to read, which will help us understand eachother.

One may add their commentary if they wish, but please keep the posts short and brief, so we can keep the discussion going quickly.
As a pre-requisite, please read the verses on Interfaith posted in the following thread:
http://www.load-islam.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
03-12-2005, 02:59 AM
Suratul Baqarah (2)
121. Those to whom We have sent the Book study it as it should be studied: They are the ones that believe therein: Those who reject faith therein,- the loss is their own.

122. O Children of Israel! call to mind the special favour which I bestowed upon you, and that I preferred you to all others (for My Message).

123. Then guard yourselves against a-Day when one soul shall not avail another, nor shall compensation be accepted from her nor shall intercession profit her nor shall anyone be helped (from outside).

I would just like to comment on the phrase:
Those who reject faith therein,- the loss is their own.

by posting another verse which explains it:
39:7 If ye reject ((Allah)), Truly Allah hath no need of you; but He liketh not ingratitude from His servants: if ye are grateful, He is pleased with you. No bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another. In the end, to your Lord is your Return, when He will tell you the truth of all that ye did (in this life). for He knoweth well all that is in (men's) hearts.

Anyone who does rightouesness has only benefited himself. god does not need our worship. We need Him.

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-13-2005, 01:23 AM
I encourage other members to post verses, which they find very beautiful and deep.

Uthman
03-13-2005, 07:05 PM

YUSUFALI: Not a messenger did We send before thee without this inspiration sent by Us to him: that there is no god but I; therefore worship and serve Me.
PICKTHAL: And We sent no messenger before thee but We inspired him, (saying): There is no Allah save Me (Allah), so worship Me.
SHAKIR: And We did not send before you any messenger but We revealed to him that there is no god but Me, therefore serve Me.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansar Al-'Adl
03-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Good choice, Ozzy!

Would anyone like to add their comments, or another verse?

Khattab
03-13-2005, 11:34 PM
I love this verse shows how worthless the dunya is:

"The mutual rivalry for piling up (the good things of this world) diverts you (from the more serious things), Until ye visit the graves. But nay, ye soon shall know (the reality). Again, ye soon shall know! Nay, were ye to know with certainty of mind, (ye would beware!) Ye shall certainly see Hell fire! Again, ye shall see it with certainty of sight! Then, shall ye be questioned that Day about the joy (ye indulged in!)” (TMQ, 102:1-8).

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-14-2005, 12:03 AM
Good choice, br. Amir. The verse speaks for itself.

Indeed, we should frequently remember the temporal nature of this life, that we may hasten in preparing for the hereafter.

The verse in your signature is also very important. Abdullah ibn Masud said that this was the verse that gives the most hope.

SubhanAllah.

yoshiyahu
03-14-2005, 02:45 AM
Nice verses ;)

I hope this isn't out of place, but since this is a comparative religion forum I thought I'd share one from the Hebrew Bible:

Micah 6:8

He has told you, O man, what is good, and what the Lord demands of you; but to do justice, to love loving-kindness, and to walk discreetly with your God.

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-14-2005, 02:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by yoshiyahu
Nice verses ;)

I hope this isn't out of place, but since this is a comparative religion forum I thought I'd share one from the Hebrew Bible:
Actually, I was waiting for a non-muslim to quote some verses. :)

Here is a comparison of two verses:

Tanakh, Devarim 10:12 And now, O Israel, what does the Lord, your God, demand of you? Only to fear the Lord, your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, and to worship the Lord, your God, with all your heart and with all your soul,

Qur'an, Al-Hadeed 57:28. O you who believe! Fear Allâh, and believe too in His Messenger (Muhammad ), He will give you a double portion of His Mercy, and He will give you a light by which you shall walk (straight), and He will forgive you. And Allâh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Beautiful, isn't it? Both are from Our Creator.

SpaceFalcon2001
03-14-2005, 03:54 AM
Isaiah 45:7
Who forms light and creates darkness, Who makes peace and creates evil; I am the Lord, Who makes all these.
I honestly like it. It shows how HaShem is behind ALL things, not simply what is nice.

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-14-2005, 04:26 AM
Indeed. And what do you feel can be proven from that? What significance does that have? Could you elaborate a bit more?

Thanks.

SpaceFalcon2001
03-14-2005, 04:54 AM
This is simply accepted in Judaism. We have always accepted that everything, from life to death, from love to hate, is of HaShem. Nothing can be created without Him. This is true both from the fact that it simply cannot be otherwise due to the nature of HaShem, and it is true as an idea to humble us, to remind us that our creator is behind everything, good (a sunny warm day) or bad (such as the recent tsunami), and we can never hope to know his purpose for what he does.

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-14-2005, 05:03 AM
I don't believe that God creates evil. I believe that evil is the absence of good and God is good. Therefore, when we abandon the way of good, we fall into evil. And it only happens by the permission of God.

Atheists try to use the following logic to prove that God is evil:
Is satan evil?
who created satan?
God is the source of evil. God is evil.
But the answer is simply that evil is not a substance, but the absence of a substance - good. So God created Satan and Satan left good. God never creates anyone evil or forces darkness upon anyone.

Those who abandon the light themselves have indulged in darkness.

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-14-2005, 05:08 AM
to remind us that our creator is behind everything, good (a sunny warm day) or bad (such as the recent tsunami), and we can never hope to know his purpose for what he does.
I agree with this. As the Qur'an says:
41:49 Man does not weary of asking for good (things), but if ill touches him, he gives up all hope (and) is lost in despair.

So Islam teaches that when good befalls you, thank Allah. And when evil befalls you, seek Allah.

SpaceFalcon2001
03-14-2005, 06:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
I don't believe that God creates evil.
We believe that suggestion truly implies that, overall, HaShem has no control of evil because it came into being without His allowing it, and that simply does not work.
But the answer is simply that evil is not a substance, but the absence of a substance - good. So God created Satan and Satan left good. God never creates anyone evil or forces darkness upon anyone.
We also do not believe that evil is something that can be quantified. Evil is simply something that has a selfish purpose. Outside of that, we quantify that which harms us as Evil, however simply because we do not know the purpose of a particular evil does not mean it does not have a HaShem given purpose! When He sees fit to give, He gives, when He sees fit to take away, He takes away. HaShem allows pain and suffering for His own goals, which we may never understand, just as he allows us to live in happiness and prosper for reasons that we may never understand (hopefully because we have merited such).

What I mean is that Good and Evil are human notions that HaShem is outside of! He cannot be quantified by either one, but we can percieve what he does, and he certainly commits acts we can deem Good (such as when he saves a person from certain death) and unquestionably commits acts we deem Evil (such as when HaShem brings about a natural disaster). "I the lord your God do all these things", His purposes are His own, for He need answer to no one.

On a side note: Truly, I have read your narrative of how Satan leaves Allah. Allah allows him to leave untill the dead are ressurected. Whatever Satan does, Allah must want him to do, or surely he would have simply destroyed him without a thought, or never created him knowing what he would do?

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I agree that God is in complete control, I just think we have to be careful in explaining that evil does not come from God, but from the absence of God. Otherwise, it can be misleading.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.