/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Corn?

_salam_
03-14-2005, 05:06 AM
Salam Alaikum brothers and sisters.
I have a question about a word in the Qur'an which I often see translated as corn, as in verse 12:43 for example.

"The king (of Egypt) said: 'I do see (in a vision) seven fat kine, whom seven lean ones devour, and seven green ears of corn, and seven (others) withered. O ye chiefs! Expound to me my vision if it be that ye can interpret visions.'"

Now as far as I know (unless I'm mistakin) corn was indigonious (sp?) to the Americas until the colonization of the Americas. So my question is, what is the word in Arabic that is being translated as corn? My guess is that the word has some other meanings, such as grain (in a general sense), and now holds the meaning of corn since the colonization of the Americas.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
03-14-2005, 05:16 AM
Wow. That's a good question. I've never come across that before.

Here's the verse:

43. And the king (of Egypt) said: "Verily, I saw (in a dream) seven fat cows, whom seven lean ones were devouring - and of seven green ears of corn, and (seven) others dry. O notables! Explain to me my dream, if it be that you can interpret dreams."

The word is sunbulatin. According to my dictionary, the word just means "ear" or "spike".

Also, keeping in mind what you said, the muslims at the time of the Prophet saws wouldn't have understood the verse as corn anyway! They didn't have corn. So their understanding would have been some kind of grain as you suggested.

Hope this helps.

:w:

_salam_
03-14-2005, 05:22 AM
Just as I suspected. Thanks brother Ansar.

Abdalla
03-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Good i see the admin is doing his work, well done ansar

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansar Al-'Adl
03-14-2005, 06:53 PM
JazakAllah khair bro.

yoshiyahu
03-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Ansar is correct. The Torah's reading of these events uses a similar Hebrew word, which is also translated as "corn", but means the same thing as the arabic word in the Qu'ran.

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-15-2005, 12:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdalla
Good i see the admin is doing his work, well done ansar
Bro, can you empty your storage? I can't pm you.

Nobody_
05-24-2012, 07:42 PM
I like popcorn.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!