/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Name - in Arabic?

yoshiyahu
03-14-2005, 05:44 PM
What would my name be in Arabic? I've been told about 10 different answers.

In english, it is Josiah. In the Hebrew language, it is spelled yud-aleph-shin-yud-heh-vav (יאשיהו)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
WomanOfJihad
03-14-2005, 05:52 PM
:sl:

Josiah hmm thee closest i can think of a name which is nearest to that JAHASH ...

* however they both r nowhere near .... but thats the first name came in my mind when i saw "JOSIAH" *
:w:

yoshiyahu
03-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks, WomanofJihad.

If I can find an arabic translation of the bible online in arabic, would you mind looking to see how they translate my name? (the story of a righteous king of the past is mentioned in the Book of Kings)

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-15-2005, 12:38 AM
What's the reference? Which passage?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
yoshiyahu
03-28-2005, 10:44 PM
I think one of the references would be 1 Kings 13:2, but it might be near the end of chapter 12 in some translations. I'm not sure exactly because I looked it up in a completely Hebrew bible, and didn't check in a Christian or Jewish translation.

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-29-2005, 03:38 AM
1. And behold a man of God came from Judah, at the command of the Lord, to Beth El, and Jeroboam was standing on the altar offering sacrifices.

2. And he called [in prophecy] about the altar at the command of the Lord, and he said: "Altar, altar, so said the Lord, "Behold a son will be born to the house of David, Josiah will be his name, and upon you he will slaughter all the priests of the high places who offer sacrifices on you, and human bones will they burn upon you."

Interesting. Is this Prophet David/Dawud being referred to here?

If I find anything i'll let you know.

yoshiyahu
03-29-2005, 06:38 AM
House of David = descended from David on the paternal side.

Yoshiyahu = Josiah

Tell me when you've looked up the arabic translation.

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-29-2005, 10:44 PM
I believe your name in arabic is Hassan. Do you know what Josiah literally means?

yoshiyahu
03-31-2005, 01:05 AM
Thanks Ansar!

Could you type it in in arabic, or tell me which letters it would be?

Do you know what Josiah literally means?
The Hebrew or the Arabic vesion of the name?

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-31-2005, 01:15 AM
The Hebrew or the Arabic vesion of the name?
Shouldn't it be the same? :confused:

Here's Hassan, which means handsome/beautiful, in arabic:
ÍóÓóä ,

SpaceFalcon2001
03-31-2005, 02:27 AM
I can never read what you write in Arabic Al-Haq.

Here it is in Unicode: حسان

yoshiyahu
03-31-2005, 02:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Shouldn't it be the same? :confused:
Not neccessarily - names don't always have translations into other languages, and so sometimes a different one is used. Ex: Ra is the name of an Egyptian Pharoah, but it means "evil" in hebrew.

format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Here's Hassan, which means handsome/beautiful, in arabic:
ÍóÓóä ,
Thanks - but the arabic didn't come through :(

Yoshiyahu (hebrew version) means G-d's fire or Fire of G-d.

yoshiyahu
03-31-2005, 02:53 AM
thanks SF2K!

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-31-2005, 04:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SpaceFalcon2001
I can never read what you write in Arabic Al-Haq.
format_quote Originally Posted by yoshiyahu
Thanks - but the arabic didn't come through
Arg! I always have this problem. I never figured out how to post in arabic.

I could only get it to work when I set the text encoding to arabic (either windows or ISO something).

SF2K, you mentioned unicode? Maybe that will help me with my arabic problems. :D

I'm just going to type some random stuff, and we'll see if it works:
Çááå äæÑ ÇáÓãæÇÊ æÇáÇÑÖ

Not neccessarily - names don't always have translations into other languages, and so sometimes a different one is used. Ex: Ra is the name of an Egyptian Pharoah, but it means "evil" in hebrew.
I still don't understand that. Are you saying that 'ra' means evil in hebrew? Or the hebrew equivalent of 'ra' means evil?

Yoshiyahu (hebrew version) means G-d's fire or Fire of G-d.
Well, if I were to translate that literally, that would be Naarullah.

As in the following verse:

104:6 (It is) the Fire of (the Wrath of) Allah kindled (to a blaze),

But on the website I saw, it said Josiah and in brackets (Hassan).

:confused:

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-31-2005, 04:12 AM
SF2K!! You may have solved my arabic problems!

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-31-2005, 04:17 AM

ÈöÓúãö Çááåö ÇáÑøóÍúãäö ÇáÑøóÍöíãöö

ÇáúÍóãúÏõ ááøåö ÑóÈøö ÇáúÚóÇáóãöíäó

ÇáÑøóÍúãÜäö ÇáÑøóÍöíãö

ãóÇáößö íóæúãö ÇáÏøöíäö

ÅöíøóÇßó äóÚúÈõÏõ æÅöíøóÇßó äóÓúÊóÚöíäõ

ÇåÏöäóÜÜÜÜÇ ÇáÕøöÑóÇØó ÇáãõÓÊóÞöíãó

ÕöÑóÇØó ÇáøóÐöíäó ÃóäÚóãÊó Úóáóíåöãú ÛóíÑö ÇáãóÛÖõæÈö Úóáóíåöãú æóáÇó ÇáÖøóÇáøöíäó

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-31-2005, 04:19 AM
Can everyone see that?

SpaceFalcon2001
03-31-2005, 04:30 AM
Sorry Al-Haq, no. Unicode referrs to the standardization of characters in computers.
For windows we need merely press Alt and then type the proper unicode number.

For macs you have to hold down the Option key, and type the four-hex-digit Unicode code point, and sometimes a surrogate pair.

I don't know very much about macs, so I'm not sure what your machine's rendering problem is.

Are you using MacOSX? I hope you are, it makes things easier to fix.

Another thought, are you sure you are not simply typing in an Arabic FONT? What I see is a jumble of accents, which also occurs when I view a page with a font that I don't have.

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-31-2005, 04:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SpaceFalcon2001
For macs you have to hold down the Option key, and type the four-hex-digit Unicode code point, and sometimes a surrogate pair.
???

I don't know very much about macs, so I'm not sure what your machine's rendering problem is.

Are you using MacOSX? I hope you are, it makes things easier to fix.
Yes I am.

Another thought, are you sure you are not simply typing in an Arabic FONT? What I see is a jumble of accents, which also occurs when I view a page with a font that I don't have.
maybe, but I don't think so. I also copy arabic from different sites and try to post it.

:confused:

So you couldn't see either of my attempts above?

SpaceFalcon2001
03-31-2005, 05:57 AM
You say copy-paste did not work? I suggest you simply try retyping them, or can you not even type them?

Try finding the 'Character Palette' (which is an OSX feature), that allows you to visually select any Unicode character from a table organized numerically, by Unicode block, or by a selected font's available characters.

Try both those, and we'll try to see them.

Also, please try holding option and typing 0643 then release the option key. Also try 1603 if the above didn't work, it's a technical difference of hex vrs decimal code. This should produce a Kaf.

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-31-2005, 07:47 PM
I have character palette but I'm not sure what you want me to do with it.

SpaceFalcon2001
04-01-2005, 03:31 AM
Well I assume it's basically the same as the Windows "Character Map".
I also assume it looks like this:

Simply use the interface to select an Arabic letter, in unicode block would probbly be easiest, then simply drag any arabic character (or a few) into a post box for this site and post.

I'm trying to see if it is a problem with Macs posting unicode or that the way you are typing Arabic is not unicode.

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-01-2005, 03:42 AM

???

How's that?

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-01-2005, 03:42 AM
Didn't work.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.