/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women only Masjid

swanlake
03-21-2005, 11:19 AM
:sl:

I was wondering whether it was allowed to have women's only masjids where it is run by women, for women and the imam is a woman and all money coming in controlled by female Muslims.

Would that be permissable in Islam???

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Brother_Mujahid
03-21-2005, 11:29 AM
why have a womens only, i know there maybe some masjids which don't have room for sisters to pray.

but a womens only masjid :confused:

swanlake
03-21-2005, 11:37 AM

It is just that some non-muslim asked me this and i told him that i'd get back to him. From my understanding i'd have thought it to be ok as long as the women lead the women in prayers and have no contact with men. Come to think of it, the women's section in all masjids is normally run by women. Allah knows best/

There was a programme (pakistani Really i think it was) on TV about three weeks ago about a school that teaches how to become an imam near wales i think. There were women imams there who went to the hospitals to visit the sick etc. Could anyone remembers the school's name??

Umm Yoosuf
03-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Women masjids only hmmmm

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
swanlake
03-21-2005, 01:59 PM

you guys have no opinion on this?? or you are going to find out for me??

Must learn to be patient.

I must admit that the idea is quite strange..but where does Islam stands on this issue??

أحمد
03-21-2005, 02:23 PM

:D No worries . . . :shade: The answer's right over here:

. . . but first: have you heard of Masjid Fatimah? :D

:sister: I think that should help you there in finding out whether it's right or wrong. It is OK; there's nothing wrong with that, according to Islam, but there is alot wrong with it, if you are asking from a more cultural point of view, because many people are brought up to be taught that things like that are not permissible; when they are. The Quran tell's us that majority; not knowing the truth; turn away. Refer to Surah al-Anbiyah 21: verse 24 for details. And this is'nt an issue which is very difficult to understand, nor is it something impermissible . . . :p :p :p ;)

:w:

swanlake
03-21-2005, 03:14 PM
:wa:

So you are saying nothing is wrong with it??

I just thought of something:- If the masjid is open only for women, then if a man (who was doing his shopping) needed to pray maghrib and the female masjid was the only one close by, well, he couldnt pray there, could he?? provided a lady would be the imam and is forbidden to lead a man. Men are obligated to pray at the mosque whereas for women, it is not compulsory. Therefore why deprive a man of congregation prayers just because it is only females, especially when it is not obligatory on them to pray in congregation.

Given the above argument, i think it would be pointless to have female only masjids when they cant cater for both genders unlike the normal masjids.

أحمد
03-21-2005, 03:17 PM

:D Very good argument, but that does not make it impermissible (haram). :shade:

swanlake
03-21-2005, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Waheed

:D Very good argument, but that does not make it impermissible (haram). :shade:

agree...more of an impractical and pointless i'd say..

Brother_Mujahid
03-21-2005, 03:24 PM
yes but if women want to pray then they can do so in the many masjids that cater for both genders........ the other point is that like what the sis mentioned above it is not obligatory on the women to pray in the masjid.

and allah talah knows best

أحمد
03-21-2005, 03:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brother_Mujahid
yes but if women want to pray then they can do so in the many masjids that cater for both genders........ the other point is that like what the sis mentioned above it is not obligatory on the women to pray in the masjid.

and allah talah knows best

:brother: In that case building any sort of Mosque would be un-necessary anyway whether for men or women, because the only prayer which has been made compulsory to pray in the mosque is Salatul-Jumu'ah (the Friday Prayer) . . . :p

:D And that's not all; Jumu'ah applies to Women as well as Men. If it was compulsory for women to pray the friday prayer at the time of the Prophet (saw) and they prayed in masjid Fatimah; then why is it no longer compulsory. Are you saying that Islam has regular updates? (Na'uthubillah min thaalik) . . .

:shade: Please keep one thing in mind: the nature of Allah never changes; refer to Surah ar-Rum 30: verse 30 for details . . . ;)

swanlake
03-21-2005, 03:41 PM

erm..women was never made compulsory to pray in congregation on fridays.
It is encouraged men to pray 5 times a day at the masjid (27 more ajar), unlike women.

No one here is saying that Islam has regular updates.Istaaghfurrallaah.

S_87
03-21-2005, 03:44 PM

i dont think there should be women only masjids

like it wasnt done before was it?

Aisha RA led the woman in prayers.. i think thats where we get the okness in women leading.but it wasnt a habit was it ???

Arwa
03-21-2005, 03:45 PM

I don't agree with women masjids either ...

..cos like running it can be hard and that can take time away from her being with her family etc ..

Brother_Mujahid
03-21-2005, 03:46 PM

:brother: In that case building any sort of Mosque would be un-necessary anyway whether for men or women, because the only prayer which has been made compulsory to pray in the mosque is Salatul-Jumu'ah (the Friday Prayer) . . . :p

:D And that's not all; Jumu'ah applies to Women as well as Men. If it was compulsory for women to pray the friday prayer at the time of the Prophet (saw) and they prayed in masjid Fatimah; then why is it no longer compulsory. Are you saying that Islam has regular updates? (Na'uthubillah min thaalik) . . .

:shade: Please keep one thing in mind: the nature of Allah never changes; refer to Surah ar-Rum 30: verse 30 for details . . . ;)

since when did i say the following that you accuse me of.

Brother_Mujahid
03-21-2005, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Arwa

..cos like running it can be hard and that can take time away from her being with her family etc ..
yes and a problem with the imaam being away every month

swanlake
03-21-2005, 03:51 PM

oh ..good point sis.. Didnt think about this angle. The responsibility of a mother and a wife are greater than being an imam where you have to be available for the community on regular basis.

Arwa
03-21-2005, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by swanlake

oh ..good point sis.. Didnt think about this angle. The responsibility of a mother and a wife are greater than being an imam where you have to be available for the community on regular basis.

exactly! :D

أحمد
03-21-2005, 04:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brother_Mujahid
since when did i say the following that you accuse me of.

:D Sorry for that; it wasn't very clear, I wasn't actually accusing you of anything . . . ;)

Please refer to Surah al-jumu'ah 62 for details . . .

Brother_Mujahid
03-21-2005, 04:21 PM

:D Sorry for that; it wasn't very clear, I wasn't actually accusing you of anything . . . ;)

Please refer to Surah al-jumu'ah 62 for details . . .

hokay no problemo :shade:

but you did have a point :)

WomanOfJihad
03-21-2005, 05:38 PM

ryt intersting topic.. i Guess the reason why we dnt have WOMEN MASAAJID is becoz it is better for the women to pray in their own homes .. n they will get the SAME REWARD like men do in the congregational prayers ....

The holy prophet (saw) has said that the prayer of a woman in her house (room) is better than the varendah or hall and her prayer in her inner chamber in better than in the house .. (Abu Dawood)

also its been related from Hazrat Abdullah bin Umar r.a. that
A woman is sumfin to hide. when she emerges from her house, the devil glances at her and she cannot be nearer to Allah then when she is deep into her house.

these traditions impress upon a women that thet dnt need to worry about going to the mosque for prayers, when they leave their homes there are various types of men waiting outside who are part of the army of the satan, the devil. they are sinful men who ogle at women who emerge fromtheir houses. the devil prompts them to do so. it is the responsibility of men to earn a living and to offer the congregational prayers in the mosque. women have been told to stay indoors. however if there is a GREAT NECESSITY she is allowed to come out of her house wit a proper veil and covering.

Ponder over this hadeeth. a woman attains nearness to Allah to the maximun level when she stays at home. her ritual prayers is the best when she ofers it in the innermost room of her house. this prayer is better than offering it in the neighbourhood mosque.

the words of the hadeeth are :

WA MAA 3abadatimra-atun rabbahaa mithla an ta3budahu fi baytihaa

"A Women never Worshipsher lord better than when she worships him at her home"

WomanOfJihad
03-21-2005, 05:48 PM
THE INSTRUCTIONS OF THE PROPHET (saw) TO UMM HAMID

Hazrat Umm hamid (ra) was one of the women companions of the Holy prophet (saw). She expressed her desire to offer praers with the prophet (sa) who advised her that although she wished to pray with him, it was better for her to pray in her room than the varendah . he went on to say that it was better 4 to pray in the verandah than in the courtyard, and courtyard was better than to pray in the neighbourhoodd mosque and to pray in the neighbourhood mosque was better than to pray in the mosque of the prophet.
On this Hazrat Umm Hamid (ra) prpared the innermost room in her house that was very dark for her prayers. there she kept praying regularly until her death.

those women had an inclination to act on religious teachings. she heard the words of the beloved prophet (saw) and reserved a room for the purpose of prayers. today women listen to the ahadith and they read books too. they also know the regulations on the veil. but they keep away from practicing that they know. in the first place they are not much interested in religious affairs but those of them who are interested, they act on the teachings in a way that suits them. they are never inclined to pursue life in the manner SHARI'AH teaches them. there is no reward on following ones own desires. REWARD occurs Only on acting as SHARI'AH tells us ..

WomanOfJihad
03-21-2005, 06:04 PM

we must take a lesson from the example of Umm hamid (ra) whoheeded the advice of the prophet saw and set aside the innermost room for her prayers although prayers in the Prophets mosque are more thanthere (each prayer better thn one thousand prayers). this tels us that women must pray at home only. the sayng of the prophet saw in this incident that prayer in the neighbourhood mosque is better than in the prophets mosque is for the women of that time who visited mosques whilethey observed the VEIL AND DID NOT APPLY SCENT.

there is another hadith

Laa tuqbalu salaatu imra-atu tatayyabat lil masjidi hatta taghsilu ghuslahaa minal janaabate (abu dawood)
" the prayer of that woman is not acepted who applies fragrance while going tote mosque unless she has a bath that is had to remover impurity "

on top of it the women were required to leave the mosque promptly when the prayer was over with the salutation. they always occupied that last rows and men seated at their places until the women had departed . (bukhari)

in CONTRAST women today do not OBSERVE THE VEIL and men ARE NOT GOD FEARING. women have given up the simple dress and go out adoring themselves to the utmost, fragrant smell emiting from them. if they wearHIJAAB it is very ATTRACTIVE and the face uncovered. some put on a veil over the face but the effect is the reverse, the face shines out of it. they wear short sleeved or sleevless dress and mini dupattas. men gaze towards them. how can a women be allowed to go out then?
besides in the dress described their prayers are not proper too (as in showing half of their hands n neks )

THE SAYING OF HAZRATH AISHA R.A SPEAKING ABOUT THE WOMEN OF HER TIME
Hazrat Aisha ra said that the holy prophet (saw) were to see their living style he would have disallowed them from goin to the mosque as women of other ummah were stopped (refer to Bukhari)

When women are asked no to go to mosques then no questions arises of allowing them to visit parks, fairs and market places. VERY surprising it is nowadays that household shopping has been entrusted to women. OR is it that Women have taken over this responsibility for themselves Forcibly frommen - which is shameful for men .

Arwa
03-21-2005, 07:06 PM

Great posts WomanOfJihad:D

WomanOfJihad
03-21-2005, 09:45 PM

Sis .. plzz no "WOJ" .. JAZAKILLAH .. :)

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Nothiong wrong with a women masjid.

But as was pointed out it would just be impractical.

Brother_Mujahid
03-21-2005, 09:52 PM

Great posts WomanOfJihad:D
yea great posts WomanOfJihad :D

MODERATOR'S COMMENT: PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CAUSING MODERATORS STRESS

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-21-2005, 09:56 PM
YEAH, GREAT POSTS WOMANOFJIHAD! ;)

WomanOfJihad
03-21-2005, 09:59 PM

Jazakahumulahu Khairan

MODERATOR'S COMMENT: PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CAUSING MODERATORS STRESS
*4got she was a moderator, thanx for the reminder*

Ansar Al-'Adl
03-21-2005, 10:02 PM
You wouldn't want him calling you woj, would you? :D

Brother_Mujahid
03-21-2005, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-Haq
You wouldn't want him calling you woj, would you? :D
oi dont change my posts :p

or ill just have to become a mod ;)

actually ill abuse my powers if i were one, muwahahaha :confused:

;D

WomanOfJihad
03-21-2005, 10:11 PM

*sighs*

well.. Alhumdulilah its SORTED .. i wudnt mind any1 callin me WOJ from now .. saves their typings .. n if SUM pple are tryin to annoy me by "WOJ" Alhumdulillah its nt wrkin at all.. i m fine with WOJ ..

*all credz to BRO zAk for introducing the name, thought id get away with it ATLEAST Here *

imnaz0105
07-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Please inform according to shariah, are women better to pray at home than in masjid as I have heard that Hazrat Umar (R.A) has stopped women going to the jammat in the mosques.

kadafi
07-26-2005, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by imnaz0105
Please inform according to shariah, are women better to pray at home than in masjid as I have heard that Hazrat Umar (R.A) has stopped women going to the jammat in the mosques.
:sl: brother imnaz,

It's beter for the Muslim sisters to pray at home.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: the Sunnah indicates that it is better for a woman to pray at home, no matter where she is, whether she is in Makkah or elsewhere. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not prevent the female slaves of Allaah from coming to the mosques of Allaah, but their houses are better for them.”

He said that when he was in Madeenah, even though prayer in the Prophet’s Mosque brings more reward, because a woman’s prayer in her own house is more covering for her and farther removed from temptation (fitnah), so if she is in her house then this is preferable and is better.

See Fataawa al-Jaami’ah li’l-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, vol. 1, p. 207. See also Question # 3457.

The Prophet also said to a woman:

“I know that you like to pray with me… but your prayer in your house is better for you than your praying in the mosque of your people…” This hadeeth was narrated by Ahmad (Musnad, Baaqi al-Ansaar, 25842; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb wa’l-Tarheeb, no. 337)

NooralHaya
07-27-2005, 12:18 AM
i recently read about a womans only masjid in china, where the imam is a female and everything. i thought that was quite.. interesting. im not too cool with the idea, imean sisters could pray together in someones house, but id be paranoid of some bad brothers peekin through some windows or somethin haha.

it also said it was somehow connected to the 'main masjid' meant for men and women, so Allahu alim how close the men were, but just the fact that these 2 places were connected isnt a good thing.

as salaamu alaikum

Halima
07-27-2005, 02:22 AM

I was wondering whether it was allowed to have women's only masjids where it is run by women, for women and the imam is a woman and all money coming in controlled by female Muslims.

you know that would be the most wonderful thing in the world if we were able to have our very own masjid that would be just fantastic! we wouldn't have to worry about keeping our hijabs inside or whatever. However there is one problem if we only have a women's masjid. who will say the prayers? Who will call out the adhan? That's a big problem there.

Pinkrose
07-29-2005, 11:52 AM

I like the idea of having a women's only masjid!! :zip:

I mean the masjid that we have here is really not good!!
There is only a small curtain that seperates us ladies from the guys!!
Subhanallah i remember one time this guy said that it was bid'ah to have a curtain like this hung in the masjid and he took the curtain down :mad: so the ladies could now be seen!! :omg: Most of the sisters moved to the other side since there was a wall there and we wouldn't be able to be seen!!! One of the ladies got really angry and brought in a curtain the next day and put it back up!! The brothers had a long talk with that guy explaining that it was not bid'ah and how he is doing something wrong!! The whole thing is really confusing!! But the curtain is back!! Alhamdulillah!! I can't believe he actually did that!! :mad:

But now we are raising money to build a new and bigger masjid!! Everything is going good Alhamdulillah!! :D

btw: I think that it is really a good idea to have an all womens masjid!!

Ummu Amatullah
07-29-2005, 02:48 PM

Salams sis I think it's permissible, by the way if that kind of masjid exists make sure to sign me up, maybe in the imam part think I could handle that. ;)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.