/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ayah of the Quran and speech

jello
01-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Salaam Alaykum

I would like to ask a question with respect to the way in which the Quran describes the speeches and talks of people that have taken place over the generations and during the Prophet's (SAW) time.

To explain what I mean, in Verse 9:40 the Quran says that Muhammad (SAW) told Abu Bakr (RAA) "not to fear, for Allah is with us". as of now, I have not been able to find a hadeeth with these same exact wordings of the incident in the Cave during the Prophet's (SAW) migration to Madeenah.

Of course, there are other places in the Quran, such as when the polytheists in Makkah would say that "this is a story of old", and so on. I wanted to know whether there are narartions apart from the Quran confirming that these are the exact words that the polytheists said. If there is something wrong in the suppositions I have made also, it would be good for this to come to my knowledge.

Thank you in advance. Wa Salaam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
01-08-2006, 10:28 AM
:wasalamex

I understand what you mean bro.. but i got a strong feeling its related to the arabic language.

For instance - you may not find the exact wording "Have no fear, for Allah is with us", in the translation of the hadith, like you've mentioned. But there may be some wording in the arabic language which is related in the hadith, and in the qur'an differently when the translations have took place.

I dont have too much knowledge of the arabic language , but maybe searching through the arabic hadith, and reading ayah (9:40) in arabic may have similarities?

I cant really say anything because i have little knowledge of the arabic language, so maybe brother Ansar could help you out insha Allaah.

wa Allaahu a'lam. (and Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala knows best.)

:salamext:

jello
01-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Salam Alaykum again,

Yes, i know about the translations and so on, I just wanted to know about the Arabic phrases themselves. If anyone could clear up the misconception it would be good.

jello
01-11-2006, 04:28 PM
A brother on another forum answered:

"In such case, what Allah says in the Quran is what the prophet defiinately said.

Another possibility you could take is that the Prophet said what is in the Quran and possibly also what is reported in hadith ie. he said both at two different times.

Allah knows best."

Would this be a correct interpretation ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azim
01-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Salam. I think it's best to ask someone with a lot of knowledge on Quran, Tafsir, perhaps the Quran is a paraphrasing, or else the hadith is paraphrasing.

Allahu alim.

- Qatada -
01-11-2006, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
Salam. I think it's best to ask someone with a lot of knowledge on Quran, Tafsir, perhaps the Quran is a paraphrasing, or else the hadith is paraphrasing.

Allahu alim.

:wasalamex

I dont think its right to say that the qur'an is paraphrasing because everythin thats mentioned in the qur'an is the truth.. so we cant say that its been paraphrased, because this could easily be used by the kufar against us saying that some parts are just 'changed' or paraphrased from the reality.

Maybe the narrators of the hadith had a slight changing of the words, as it got passed down?

I dont really know like i've said before, and i got a strong feeling its to do with the arabic context, theres alot of hadith which are translated into english - which have caused alot of confusion for the non arabic speaking muslims too, this is the reason why its vital for us to understand/learn arabic to remove that uncertainty.

You cant be a scholar of hadith, etc. unless you know the proper arabic language, and be advanced in the language.

Like jello said - it may have been through different situations/times, thats a strong point, but i still think its important you ask a real scholar insha Allaah. :) bro ansar might even know..

Allaahu a'lam.

:salamext:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.