/* */

PDA

View Full Version : nasab lineage

sonz
01-09-2006, 12:26 PM
salama

i wuz thinking. u know in some muslim countries u have nasab which means linage like name (son of) father name or name (daughter of) father name) or name (child of) father name.

it happens in tribal socities like many arab and african countries. for example my somali mate told me that in somalia if an old man asks you who you are. you do not say my name is (name) but u say i am the son of or i am the daughter of (father name). he also says that they all memorize all the names of their fathers going back centuries :muddlehea

i think its weird. what do u think about it and is this better than the western surname system???

masalama

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sonz
01-09-2006, 03:59 PM
anyone???

hidaayah
01-10-2006, 02:09 AM
:sl:
I think its a tradition there..:hmm:

sonz
01-10-2006, 09:36 AM
salama

i think that tradition is not good innit cuz it doesnt make sense.

the western surname system is better

masalama

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
hidaayah
01-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Assalam u Alaikum
yes..^ agree with you

sonz
01-10-2006, 09:52 AM
but i have 1 q. does that mean im dissing the prophet (saw) cuz his name was muhammad ibn abdulahi

masalama

kashifdogar
01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
i think its a tradition there
:w:

Halima
01-12-2006, 02:49 AM

Thread moved

:w:

Selising
01-12-2006, 02:55 AM
What if the man said... Oh, I know your great grandfather, he was my great grandfather's best friend. Here is a basket of fruits, since we are family friend

I would love to accept

Takumi
01-12-2006, 04:45 AM
that's why people memorize al quran better in west african countries. that is a small example of the education system that produced scholars like Al Ghazzali, Bukhari, Muslim and many others. Memorization.

Just imagine they probably don't have to use a Family Tree software to draw their family tree. They just know them by heart.

Amazing. I'd like to do that. Hmm.. I'll ask my kid to introduce himself like that. Hey, seeing what's going on around the world today, weird is a cliche.

sonz
01-12-2006, 11:15 AM
salama

but i dont think this is better than the western surname system.

maybe some1 can tell us what r the pros and cons of this system

but if u think about it. the prophet (saw) said:
"On the day of resurrection, you will be called out by your name and name of your father. (The call will be: so-and-so, son of so-and-so ). So give good names."

masalama

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.