/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Terri Schiavo Case - Islams answer tot his ?

Dore
03-23-2005, 11:45 AM
:sl:
Read this - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4358877.stm
"Terri Schiavo has been brain damaged since 1990 when, aged 26, her heart stopped beating temporarily and oxygen was cut off to her brain.

Her parents - the Schindlers - have been locked in a legal battle with her legal guardian and husband Michael Schiavo since 1998.

They oppose his wish to remove the feeding tube and let her die. "

Should they keep feeding her or let her go ? I've heard of cases with moslim people in my town (leicester) where the live support device was removed since there was no hope anymore for the patient.

Is the soul still with her ?

Jazakalah in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
12-31-2005, 06:58 PM
:wasalamex

Question.

I am curious to know whether Islam prohibits/permits the idea of 'connecting' someone to a machine in order to prolong their life? What if they have cancer, is chemotherapy haram? Is it also haram if papers are signed in order to take that person off the machines so that they can die in peace, since the patient was a 'vegetable' and it seems more humane to take them off the machine? Islamically, what do you think is morally the right thing to do?

Answer.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

Responding to the question, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former president of the Islamic Society of North America, states the following:

"Life support is a method for the treatment of a patient. If a patient is in a condition where the artificial life support can help improve his/her condition, then it should be used. However, if a group of doctors determine that there was no hope of any improvement in the condition of the patient or if the patient became brain-dead. In that case, if the doctors and the family members agree to take the patient off of the life support, then it can be removed. We should let nature take its own course and allow the person to expire according to their determined time by Allah.

For the Chemotherapy, I don't see any reason to prohibit it. It cures many patients, so if it is required, then it should be used."

You can also read:

Islam's Stance on Euthanasia

Euthanasia

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to write back!

May Allah guide you to the straight path, and guide you to that which pleases Him, Amen.

Allah Almighty knows best.

:salamext:

sapphire
12-31-2005, 07:01 PM
omg!!!they killed her after right?????i found that soo sad when it took place.............

azim
12-31-2005, 07:51 PM
It's sad she was kept alive for so long, prolonging the anguish of her family. Its also sad that it was given so much TV coverage, and so much money was spent on keeping her alive. This money could save the lives of children.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
12-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the answer, Fi Sabilillah

These issues are very sensitive. If I was on life support, and was brain dead, I can tell ya I sure as hell wouldn't mind if you turned the thing off.

I can understand why relatives might want to leave the life support on though.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.