/* */

PDA

View Full Version : what does abul mean??

sonz
01-10-2006, 07:19 PM
salama

i wuz wondering, what does abul mean in arabic???

is it normal for someone to be called abul hussain???

masalama

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
01-10-2006, 07:26 PM
:wasalamex

Do you mean 'abdul' or 'abul'? because 'abdul' means slave, or 'abd' also means slave - hence if you say 'abdullah' or 'abdul Allah' - that means slave of Allaah.

:salamext:

sonz
01-10-2006, 07:39 PM
no i meant abul cuz i know what abdul and abd means. i saw someone whose name was abul hussain and i found it weard cuz it cant be abdulhussain (slave of hussain :confused:)

ummbilal
01-10-2006, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
salama

i wuz wondering, what does abul mean in arabic???

is it normal for someone to be called abul hussain???

masalama
anyone called abdul hussain would have been named by shiate parents, inshaallah Allah guide us all

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rabi'ya
01-10-2006, 07:54 PM
:sl:

My friends elder brother is called Abul Hussein too - wonder if its the same person lol

I always wondered wht it means

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

sonz
01-10-2006, 07:54 PM
salama

i dont think it was abdul. it said abul not abdul. i think maybe abul means abu?? like father of?? such as father of hussain???

Selising
01-11-2006, 01:31 AM
Abul A'la Al-Maududi is a good example I think. Is his name starts with Abul or Abu?

Salema
01-11-2006, 01:54 AM
for example Abul-Wafa..

hidaayah
01-11-2006, 01:58 AM
yes abul means father..means father of hussain..
Assalam u Alaikum

Nawal89
01-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Abul- father of the
abu is father
al is the.
so father of the hussein. Lol that doesnt sound right.

Muezzin
01-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I always thought all these names like 'Abu Hussein' or 'Abu Muntasir', while literally meaning 'father of Hussein/Muntasir', actually mean that the person with that name is the SON of Hussein/Muntasir. Otherwise Abu Hussein would have to name one of his sons Hussein. Which is kind of paradoxical if Abdul Hussein is named as a baby.

Which brings me back to my point: what the heck am I yammering on about?

MetSudaisTwice
01-11-2006, 02:12 PM
salam
bro i think you should just you know......:X
wasalam

Mawaddah
01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Why can't it be Abul Hussain? the Prophet used to refer to his grandsons as alHasan wal Husain, or al Hasanain.......so yes, Abul Hasan is perfectly ok insha'allah;) :)

sonz
01-11-2006, 04:10 PM
salama

jzk for the answers

MuslimaH~SistaH
01-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Abul = Father
And if U mean "Abdul" it means SLAVE!

mansio
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
I don't think Abul exists in Arabic.

Ab is father and "u" is the case ending. Abu means "the father". Abû with a long "u" (I write it with an accent on top) means "the father of".

The "l" letter is wrongly attached to abû. It is the short form of the article "al" which is always attached to the following word, in this case Hussain.

So the correct Arabic is Abû alHussain shortened to Abû lHussain, or Abû l-Hussain.

So Abû l-Hussain is "the father of the Hussain" or in correct English "the father of Hussain".

That way of naming someone is honorific. It is called the kunya. You call somebody as the father of his son.
The prophet Muhammad's kunya was Abû l-Qâsim (Qâsim was his deceased first son).
There are also fictitious kunyas. For example Arafat used the kunya Abû `Ammar as nom de guerre although he had no son.

Uma Rayanah
01-21-2006, 09:58 PM

i think dat name is odd...

u can call the person abdul + one of Allah's 99 names..

but there is no Hussian.... therefore its worng 2 call some1 wiv dat name!!

Allah knows best..

Far7an
01-21-2006, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister In Islam

i think dat name is odd...

u can call the person abdul + one of Allah's 99 names..

but there is no Hussian.... therefore its worng 2 call some1 wiv dat name!!

Allah knows best..

wa alaikumusalaam

It was Abul Hussain not Abdul hussain.

mansio
01-22-2006, 08:21 AM
I think one can also just say Abû Hussain instead of Abû l-Hussain. If someone who knows Arabic could explain the difference ?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.