/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Research Paper Ideas needed

Concealed Pearl
01-12-2006, 09:44 PM
:sl:

hope everyone is well. This is my final semester in college but I have one more HUGE research paper to write. I know definitely I want to research something that revolves around Islam, but so far, I've researched misconceptions of hijab, and the shariah law. Now, I want to do something more different. I was thinking maybe the significant contributions of muslim scholars to the west. But what field do you think I can focus in on that I can write about in 20 pages and will be interesting? I want to be able to integrate quranic proofs, teachings of the prophets,too. Ne ideas?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
edil
01-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Asalamu Caleykum sister.
Since the prophet is the best example and the best man that ever set a foot on earth then you could do a research about the character of the prophet.And if I have any other ideas I'll let you know insha Allah.

- Qatada -
01-12-2006, 10:38 PM
:wasalamex

masha Allaah i agree.. why not do research on the character and life of Rasool Allaah sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam, and relate it to how if everyone followed that example - the world would be a much better place..

that may sound basic, but theres alot of areas to cover, eg. you could relate it to the natural character; as a husband, father, companion, the way of a business man, the way of a general in an army, the doctor, the teacher. etc.

If you need any info. on it from hadith, and even the qur'an we could get some good info for u insha Allaah..

Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah a beautiful pattern (of conduct) for any one whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day, and who engages much in the Praise of Allah. (33:21)

:salamext:

Muhammad
01-12-2006, 10:55 PM
:sl:

Masha'Allaah, the very fact you have chosen to write about Islam is interesting enough for yourself and for the reader as I am sure there is much to learn and teach from such a project!

The above ideas are very good Masha'Allaah, but if you want to stick to contributions of Muslims to the West, you could maybe look at scientific contributions in particular. Have a look at the following sites/threads on LI:

http://famousmuslims.com/
http://www.muslimheritage.com/Default.aspx
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ight=ibn+Hajar
http://www.irfi.org/articles/article...scholar_at.htm
http://www.load-islam.com/C/rebuttal...iarismGreek/8/

Also see this page of our Islamic Biographies section, where it lists the threads about Muslim Scientists.

I am sure there is much more out there! May Allaah make it easy for you, Aameen.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Concealed Pearl
01-14-2006, 12:30 AM
Jazakallah khairun! I really appreciate your input. As for writing about the prophet- this is an argumentative paper which means I need complicating evidence. I was thinking about writing about him last semester, but when I read all the slander that it is said against our dear nabi (saw) I felt really angry, sad, and offended. It's too hard for me to bear emotionally the negative comments that are felt by non-muslims. If I could I definitely would, because he is the best example for all of mankind. Words cannot express his greatness.

I wanted to look at the contributions of muslims to science in western civilization, because I think this is a topic which is rarely talked about and ignored. The only time u actually LEARN that muslims are responsible for these discoveries is in islamic studies courses. But in typical western civ. courses they only mention how after the crusades, the west was able to recover the ancient greek texts from the muslims. They make it seem as though muslims only preserved these texts but did not expand, and make great new discoveries. To tell you the truth, I know very little about it. So I want to do it for myself too so insha'allah I can spread the word and make us muslims feel proud about our heritage and the credit belongs to our ancestors. Jazakallah brother Muhammad for the links, I'm sure they'll be very helpful.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to talk about islamic contributions to science in the west? and do you think I would be able to incorporate the quran into it?

Brother_Mujahid
01-14-2006, 12:51 AM
Do you guys think it would be a good idea to talk about islamic contributions to science in the west? and do you think I would be able to incorporate the quran into it?
you could do both, since many of the main fronteers and breakthroughs in the medical field were made by muslims. Todays civilisation is built upon many of the discoveries made by muslim scholars.

The quran has reference to certain scientific things which coincide with todays scientific knowledge. i'll try finding a link to some examples inshallah.

wa'alykumasalam

muslimahh
01-14-2006, 07:39 PM
how about the push towards secularization regarding globalization and the "global culture" and reactions of traditional muslim countries...can be used to explain in a wordly way the return to islam by many previously not religious areas of the world and even individuals in the west

Concealed Pearl
01-14-2006, 08:10 PM
hm...well, I kinda wanted my paper to focus on history and religion. Jazakallah anyway.

Please do brother_mujahid, send me the links..

What fields do you think I should focus in on, and who should I mention in particular? Do you think it would ok to make my thesis that the 6th-16 th century was the golden era of the world due to the significant discoveries that muslims made? would that be too controversial and make ppl throw tomatoes at me because I have to present this too infront of a bunch of faculty members and classmates. So I want to do something thats both informative and indirect dawah to show them the beauty of Islam and how this religion has so much more to it then what is shown on t.v

Concealed Pearl
01-17-2006, 06:38 PM
anyone?

Concealed Pearl
02-02-2006, 12:32 AM
ok, now I think I got some direction.
I'm thinking of making my thesis how the islamic civilization was the ONLY civilization which was based on equality, justice, and harmony. I could use politics, economics, and social aspects (rights of women, slave, animals, etc) to strengthen my argument how everyone rights are met, and everyone is equal. I could also say how Islam encourages the attainment of knowledge, which muslims did and made amazing discoveries in science. Then i can mention some of the main discoveries/breakthroughs they made. What do you guys think? Do you think it would be too controversial and will make me likely to get very much criticised?

- Qatada -
02-02-2006, 12:50 PM

I think its not a good idea, because that is an area where alot of the orientalists use history against us. Especially the issues regarding slavery etc.

The stuff about the rights of women, and discoveries made by the muslims is kind of good though insha Allaah.

You could compare all these issues to how women were treated within europe, and in other non muslim areas etc. And how women were treated like animals, as a possesion, and sometimes to the limit where they were called devils.. thats how low society was at that time, and islam came here to end all oppression to women.

Allaahu a'lam.

Concealed Pearl
02-02-2006, 03:15 PM
how about if I compare the American notion of "justice, liberty, and happiness" and talk about how it claims to be serving these ideals, yet no society has ever protected these ideals except for the islamic civilization?

- Qatada -
02-02-2006, 03:26 PM

yeah thas kinda gud masha Allaah. u cud relate it to the sahabah (radhiAllaahu anhum) and how even though they ruled over 2/3 of the world (eg. Umar (r.a)) - they still lived the most casual of lives, to the limit that they lived like the poor.

Including khalid bin waleed (r.a) who lived like the poor, even though he was the main general within the muslim army, and would fight in the infantry, even though the other leaders of the other nations hid right at the back so they never got killed.. And quote from the enemies 'the muslims love death, more than we love life!'

Prawned
02-05-2006, 10:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Concealed Pearl
how about if I compare the American notion of "justice, liberty, and happiness" and talk about how it claims to be serving these ideals, yet no society has ever protected these ideals except for the islamic civilization?
Exactly. You should write about how good Islam is at keeping the world at peace and how accepting the Muslim community is towards diverse people.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.