/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Veiled doll launched in Egypt

sonz
01-16-2006, 01:08 PM
A veiled doll with “Muslim values” is beating the traditional Barbie in Egyptian toy stores.

Fulla, wearing an Islamic headscarf, comes with her own pink prayer rug.

Sales have proved strong in the Middle East since NewBoy Design Studio launched the doll in 2003.

"You have to create a character that parents and children will want to relate to,“ said Fawaz Abidin, the Fulla brand manager.

"She's honest, loving and caring, and she respects her father and mother."

Creators hadn’t yet decided on making an Islamic equivalent to Ken, Barbie's former boyfriend. However, they plan to launch a Doctor Fulla and a teacher Fulla, as both are respected careers for women.

Fulla’s clothes have been modernized for the Egyptian market to include jeans and colorful headscarves that young women wear in Egypt.

Tarek Mohammed, chief salesman at Toys'r'Us in Cairo, said: "Fulla sells better because she is closer to our Arab values - she never reveals a leg or an arm."

Source: BBC

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
iqbal_ibn_adam
01-17-2006, 07:50 PM
salaam

im not too keen on the idea of making dolls that resemble barbie etc, dont know wat u brs/sis fink?
ws

Muezzin
01-17-2006, 07:54 PM
I've heard of this. It's just a modified Barbie doll. Isn't that infringing copyright or something? Besides that, it's kind of naff.

afriend
01-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Any pictures of this thing?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
iqbal_ibn_adam
01-17-2006, 09:22 PM
go to
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/01/12/Fl...rup_girl.shtml

i fink u can buy if u wnt lol

Muezzin
01-17-2006, 09:27 PM
That thing looks so stupid, it'd make the perfect surprise present for my sister!

afriend
01-17-2006, 09:28 PM
LOL

But that's just........Dumb......Stupid......Incompetent..... ..useless

And the list goes on..........

iqbal_ibn_adam
01-17-2006, 10:18 PM
well this is the result we get when we try to go against the teaching of Al-Islam

minaz
01-17-2006, 10:22 PM
LOL, btw is the possession of dolls, figures, anythign s'posin to resemble a person/animal forbidden?

akulion
01-17-2006, 10:42 PM
veiled doll?

whats the big deal wit that

they already have millions like that...

check this one out...

forget about dolls and those other games....

buy....

HUGMAN!!!

Snowflake
01-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Isn't there a hadith about Aisha (ra) playing with dolls? I'll have to look it up but in the meantime if, little girls are going to play with dolls, isn't it better they are islamically dressed rather than half naked like barbie?

sapphire
01-17-2006, 11:15 PM
tht bear reminds me of this puppet cartoon i used to watch....think the bear was callled scooty or sooty or summit......aisha (r.a)'s dolls were mere pieces of cloth no facial features..........so the ideas silly coz its selling dolls with facial features...

Halima
01-18-2006, 12:37 AM
:sl:

I have deleted all free-posts.

Members be aware. I have noticed alot of free-posting occurring. I am not going to close the thread but this is a warning that if the free-posting continues then I will be forced to close down this thread.

WARNING

• Off-topic freeposts in is very annoying please refrain from posting such comments

:w:

Imam786
01-18-2006, 01:15 AM
[MAD]all of that is just creepy even though im not muslim i cant stand lookin at or having any nasty face in my house[/MAD]

hidden_treasure
01-18-2006, 01:35 PM
salams,

Whats the big deal? i would rather my children (if i had any)play with a veiled doll rather than a barbie doll showing everything...what would that teach the child? I am so sick of the female form being degraded in every single way.

iqbal_ibn_adam
01-18-2006, 08:05 PM
:sl: :brother: :sister:

ive jus found a fatwa bout children playing wid toys

Question :

since we're not allowed to make images of humans and animals, should children be allowed to play with toys in the shape of humans or animals?.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to those in which the shape is incomplete, in which there is only a part of the limbs or head, but the shape is not clear, there is no doubt that these are permissible, and these are like the dolls with which ‘Aa’ishah used to play. (Narrated in al-Bukhaari, 6130; Muslim, 2440).

But if the shape is complete, and it is as if you are looking at a person – especially if it can move or speak – then I am not entirely at ease with the idea of them being permissible, because this is a complete imitation of the creation of Allaah. It seems that the dolls with which ‘Aa’ishah used to play were not like this, so it is preferable to avoid them. But I cannot say that they are definitely haraam, because there are concessions granted to young children that are not granted to adults in such matters. It is natural for young children to play and have fun, they are not obliged to do any of the acts of worship so we cannot say that that they are wasting their time in idle play. But if a person wants to be on the safe side in such matters, he should cut off the head or hold it near the fire until it softens, then he should press it until the features disappear.

Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him), 2/277-278 (www.islam-qa.com)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.