/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Is Now Tracking Every Yahoo Group User

DaSangarTalib
01-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Yahoo Is Now Tracking Every Yahoo Group User

If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now using "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user. It's similar to cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group you visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo.

Look at their updated privacy statement at http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy.

About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will see a link that says WEB BEACONS.

Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, find a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo Network."

In that section find a little "Click Here to Opt Out" link that will let you "opt-out" of their snooping. Be careful! NOT to click on the next button shown. It is an "Opt Back In" button that, if clicked, will UNDO the opt-out.

Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy, and your ability to opt-out of it, is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That means you will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you use.

Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain, too, but I'm not sure if anyone is listening..

Related Article:

Yahoo Web Beacons Igniting Controversy Yahoo's current privacy policy is causing consternation among some users who object to their use of so-called 'web beacons'. Known in most circles as web bugs, these invisible images are embedded in websites and email and used to track your surfing - and even tell whether you've opened a particular email.

http://antivirus.about.com/od/spywar.../yahoobugs.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Shadow
01-18-2006, 01:09 AM
woah no wonder i was banned from the the yahoo chat :eek:

Imam786
01-18-2006, 01:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shadow
woah no wonder i was banned from the the yahoo chat :eek:
what do you mean you were banned? for what?:?

Shadow
01-18-2006, 02:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Imam786
what do you mean you were banned? for what?:?
i dont know, one day i tried to enter the chat and they sed my request was refused and i was like :mad: and now i have a hotmail account

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sapphire
01-18-2006, 05:10 AM
always hated every yahoo account i made.....this is just great.....honestly no one should bother gettin accounts with them......

DaSangarTalib
01-18-2006, 11:05 PM
^^ i agree hotmailz better in my opinion

:w:

afriend
01-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Don't know about hotmail....the new Hotmail AKA Windows live mail is working great for me....But I have an email account on every possible Place e.g. yahoo, gmail etc.

Mrs A
01-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. It is far to technical for me and I would not have had a clue about it.

Thanks again

taebah
01-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Jazaak Allah khair for bringing this to our attention.

Ummu Amatullah
01-19-2006, 03:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by fozley
Don't know about hotmail....the new Hotmail AKA Windows live mail is working great for me....But I have an email account on every possible Place e.g. yahoo, gmail etc.
Asallama Alaikum yeah true same here.Interesting how when you are signing up for an account they asure you of your privacy.I don't think they know the literal meaning of,"Privacy."Doesn't really matter because Yahoo really sucks anyways.

Mainul_Islam
01-19-2006, 03:18 AM
i dont understand what Yahoo will get out of it (the sites i visit)

salman128
01-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Pretty much anything you do online c an be tracked. if not by corporations, t hen by people who would be interested.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.