/* */

PDA

View Full Version : my first post..selam by James

james
01-20-2006, 03:00 PM
hello......well.this is my first post...so let me introduce myself .....
i am james d mc millan 35 years of age and i have been living in Turkey for 4 years. I teach English privately and to businesses..

I am from London and my mother was Italian and father English. I was raised in a VERY religious household, from 4 to 20 years of age. I come from a JEHOVAH'S WITNESS background and but feel i was brainwashed to believe everything they teach. They are nice people , friendly, pleasant, but i felt it wasnt for me and left at the age of 20 ish.

From the age of 20 to 32 ish i didnt take any notice of religion at all and then one day decided to look into Islam. I have a friend in London who i used to see as a 16 year old who is a Muslim and his mother taught me Selam a le kum....little did i know how these words would stick to me.......

i still have many questions due to my upbringing and of course sometimes religion is confusing to me but i hope to find peace and a life in Islam.

Please forgive me if i ask lots of questions or if i am unsure about certain parts of Islam as i am really a new muslim and need guidance.......

i wish you ALL peace and joy and may Allah bless you all..........

your new brother JAMES........:happy:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aZn_pLayGurL
01-20-2006, 03:03 PM
[S]SALAAM JAMES AL B THE 1ST PERSON 2 GREET JU LOL ENJOY POSTING N MAKING NEW THREAD :p[/S]

TaK KerZ N aV FuN W$Lamz x x x

habib
01-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Assalamualaikum
Welcome to the forum.

hidaayah
01-20-2006, 03:08 PM
welcum here ..hope ur stay is beneficial..
if u have any questions u can feel free to ask them..everyone here will be pleased to help..
peace..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
james
01-20-2006, 03:49 PM
ooooohhhh.....THANK YOU SO MUCH for the WELCOME.......and yes i will have lots of questions.....i have no one to guide me here so i am reading the Koran in English and trying to find my own way which is VERY DIFFICULT.......i know i'll make some mistakes but i will try and learn the right things to do....

MetSudaisTwice
01-20-2006, 03:50 PM
salam
welcome to the forums bro
any problems and we brothers and sisters will try to help you inshallah
wasalam

Tasneem
01-20-2006, 04:06 PM
[MOUSE]Welcome to the forum[/MOUSE]

Inshallah you will enoy it here and if you have any questions then

Ask away

SaLaMz

james
01-20-2006, 04:09 PM
hello.........yesterday was my birthday ....18th January.....isnt it wrong to celebrate birthdays????.....surely the day of your death is more important as you can be remembered for the good deeds you have done and not the day of your birth when you had no experience....(i dont know the answer and havent read the whole Koran yet so dont jump on my head pleeease)

Sahabiyaat
01-20-2006, 04:16 PM
:sl: brother
welcome to the forums, ask any questions you wish there are plenty of members here to anwser them.
i dont think you should learn Islam on your own, go to the masjid, meet new muslims and speak to people with knowledge and remain with this forum ofcourse and InshaAllah your knowledge will increase.

:w:

sapphire
01-20-2006, 04:18 PM
well said bro!!!!mashallah!!!!!!!(#8)subhanallah your already on your way to gaining the knowledge of deen...may Allah make it easy upon you inshallah!!!welcome to the forum!!!hope you have an enjoyable and benefitial stay!!!!mashallah you are now muslim and inshallah we can all work together as brothers and sisters to help increase each others imaan(faith)....

james
01-20-2006, 04:20 PM
sorry....what is MASJID>????????/.

i am such a new Muslim and have no help from anyone and am reading Koran on my own so i dont know these terms.......SORRY.......im not stupid..just new to Islam and fortunate to have found such a site and such friendly bro and sisters....thanks...again.......James

Tasneem
01-20-2006, 04:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by james
hello.........yesterday was my birthday ....18th January.....isnt it wrong to celebrate birthdays????.....surely the day of your death is more important as you can be remembered for the good deeds you have done and not the day of your birth when you had no experience....(i dont know the answer and havent read the whole Koran yet so dont jump on my head pleeease)
Yesterday was my birthday too

Yes it is harram to celebrate birthdays

You can say Happy birthday though

SaLaMz

sapphire
01-20-2006, 04:23 PM
course its not stupid...none of us are fully educated in matters of deen...masjid is the mosque for muslims(like temples/churches for other religions) where muslims go to pray togther....

Tasneem
01-20-2006, 04:25 PM
sorry....what is MASJID>????????/.

i am such a new Muslim and have no help from anyone and am reading Koran on my own so i dont know these terms.......SORRY.......im not stupid..just new to Islam and fortunate to have found such a site and such friendly bro and sisters....thanks...again.......James
A masjid is where muslims pray

It is oblogatory for men to go to the masjid
To make all their prayers

Also,Jumah(which is every friday)Must be made by men

Men cannot miss more than three days if they do they are punished

SaLaMz

james
01-20-2006, 04:49 PM
okay...but because i work strange hours i cant always go to a Mosque so i pray at home or at the office...is this wrong?????

swanlake
01-20-2006, 04:56 PM
:sl:

Can i suggest to the brothers and sisters to stop writing one liners where the answer aint complete and evidence from the Quran and Sunnah isnt provided. Lets provide full answer to the questions inshallah with the evidence.

New muslims and non-muslims may not be aware why such thing is done or why it is forbidden if we are answering in one line. We end up confusing them or misleading them which could lead them to leave Islam. We dont want to be the cause of that. So Lets provide answers from the Quran and Sunnah. and if we are able to provide explanation as to why certain things are done or why they are forbidden.

james
01-20-2006, 05:04 PM
woops.....perhaps my questions were not set out correctly.....i'll try to write them in a different way......

AGAIN thanks for the wonderful welcome.i am overwhelmed by such a HUGE welcome.....Islam is truly a welcoming religion compared to the way i was brought up (jehovahs witness) in that religion no one even deals with non JW people but you have welcomed me even though my knowledge in islam is very very basic.....THANKS AGAIN............james

Riya90
01-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Assalamu Alaikum James
Hope u have an enjoyable and beneficial stay inshaAllah :)

Ma'asalamah

swanlake
01-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Br James

You are very welcome to ask questions. We are only glad to help you in anyway we can. But i merely asked for the other brothers and sisters to answer you fully from the Quran and Sunnah inshallah. They shouldnt write one sentence answer. That was what i meant.

So Ask away pls.

james
01-20-2006, 05:17 PM
okay..i understand.and HELLO LONDON and BIRMINGHAM..........!!!!!!!

please have a marmite sandwich for me (we cant get marmite here in Turkey where i am living )....if you dont like marmite then have a cheddar cheese sandwich for me...lol..thanks.......

Takumi
01-20-2006, 05:23 PM
hello......well.this is my first post...so let me introduce myself .....
i am james d mc millan 35 years of age and i have been living in Turkey for 4 years. I teach English privately and to businesses..

I am from London and my mother was Italian and father English. I was raised in a VERY religious household, from 4 to 20 years of age. I come from a JEHOVAH'S WITNESS background and but feel i was brainwashed to believe everything they teach. They are nice people , friendly, pleasant, but i felt it wasnt for me and left at the age of 20 ish.

your new brother JAMES........:happy:
You're not new. :p You're MY brother.

Jehovah witnesses? They are indeed very nice people. I'd hang out with them. If they become muslim, they'll be perfect. They have good character, polite and very unassuming, well, many of them whom i've met.

And the Mormons, man, they are really cool. They don't have to do a lot if they become muslim. They're almost perfect.

They came to my house and we'd chat. :)

james
01-20-2006, 05:50 PM
yes....muslims love everyone no matter what there religious beliefs..i like that about Islam......but JWitnesses are fine as long as you dont bring up religion (in my experience) although islam and the JW belief is similar to a certain degree.....
thanks for the sisterly welcome...okay.im not new now.hey..lol.....

let us rejoice in the knowledge of truth..........

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-20-2006, 05:53 PM

Welcome to Li my brother. Feel free to ask around about anything you want and Inshallah (God-Willing) we will be able to answer them. And most of all dont feel shy :)

james
01-20-2006, 08:49 PM
well///thanks BUT i DOOOO feel shy as i don't want to offend anyone or Islam..i may ask something or say something offensive and as you are ALL well rooted and knowledgable in Islam and i am merely a new worshipper trying to find my path in life so i would use the word apprehensive really.
i have read the Koran fully but its like reading the bible...its a good story the first time you read it and the second time you should ask questions.the third time i tried to find answers to my questions but people have different thoughts or answers to them which is understandable.......

all the rules scare me a little but i got used to rules as a jehovahs witness so it shouldnt be too hard...although following Allah is not easy .and i dont expect it to be.....we all fall from the path sometimes and must jump straight back on it......im on the path but right at the beginning....so bear with me while i gain some knowledge and learn the correct way.......

ummAbdillah
01-20-2006, 09:36 PM
salaam
welcome to da forum
hope u like it here
ma'salaam

*charisma*
01-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME TO THE FORUM EKHI (brother) !!! :)

hope u enjoy ur stay and find it beneficial

well///thanks BUT i DOOOO feel shy as i don't want to offend anyone or Islam..i may ask something or say something offensive and as you are ALL well rooted and knowledgable in Islam and i am merely a new worshipper trying to find my path in life so i would use the word apprehensive really.
i have read the Koran fully but its like reading the bible...its a good story the first time you read it and the second time you should ask questions.the third time i tried to find answers to my questions but people have different thoughts or answers to them which is understandable.......

all the rules scare me a little but i got used to rules as a jehovahs witness so it shouldnt be too hard...although following Allah is not easy .and i dont expect it to be.....we all fall from the path sometimes and must jump straight back on it......im on the path but right at the beginning....so bear with me while i gain some knowledge and learn the correct way.......
if you have ANY questions regarding Islam, plz feel free and dont hesitate to ask inshallah. We are all brothers and sisters here in Islam so if you do not understand anything, we are all here to help you to understand. You can start out by creating a thread about ayahs (verses) or chapters in the Quran that you do not understand.

No one is perfect and we dont expect you to be so therefore go ahead and ask away! :D

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Rabi'ya
01-20-2006, 11:56 PM

welcome

alhamdulillah u ask alot of question

inshAllah ull find the truth here and evidence will be supplied

Rabi'ya:rose:

james
01-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Thank yu brothers and sisters around the globe........i'll ask away then and try not to feel silly with my basic questions........and thanks for this HUGE welcome.it's AMAZING............May Allah bless all your familes and spiritualness......Amen...

Brother_Mujahid
01-22-2006, 11:42 PM
your been here 2 days and had loads of people welcome you............ so i thought id welcome you aswell to this wonderful site. hope you enjoy your stay and make it a means to increase in knowledge and draw closer to Allah.

take care

wa'alykumasalam

Tasneem
01-23-2006, 12:02 AM
okay...but because i work strange hours i cant always go to a Mosque so i pray at home or at the office...is this wrong?????

No but it is a reward for praying in the Mosque

But if you have an excuse then MashAllah

Just make sure you go to the Mosque on friday during Jumah inshallah

Its between the times of 1:00-2:00 in the afternoon

Some masjids do it at diffrent times

But it cant be After Asr.Prayer

SaLaMz

james
01-23-2006, 12:38 PM
okay......Friday is of course the holy day for Muslims.....but it just so happens to be my busiest day..At that time i will be teaching in a school and i cant exactly tell the children to wait in the class....

so..can i perform that prayer a little later in the day???????

selam........peace to you all......James

Tasneem
01-23-2006, 08:31 PM
You are going to have to speak to your boss about this

Jumah For men is a MUST

Men are punished if they donot go to Jumah prayer

SaLaMz

james
01-25-2006, 12:00 PM
hello...sister...and selam.......i understand what you are saying but i don't believe Allah or God will punish anyone if they phsically cannot go to a mosque on friday becuase he or she is providing bread for his or her family..

why>?.....well Allah or God is Love.....and it loves everyone no matter what we do...as long as we understand what is happening....thispunishment thing sounds too harsh for my ALLah.....i know allah understands my situation very well and i believe i wont be punished at all ......the place is not important..God is everywhere and we can only be in one place at one time...

dont get me wrong..this is just the way i feel and im happy with it.....if the situation changes then of course i will go to the mosque .......

peace and no violence is the only way.....

Tasneem
01-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Allah is swift in calling to account but he is also quick in accepting
Repentance.

Allah gives the tafiq(understanding)not me.

SaLaMz

james
01-26-2006, 12:51 PM
:sl: a very valid point brother....peace be upon you........James

Tasneem
01-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks

P.s. im a sister inshallah

SaLaMz

edil
01-27-2006, 12:36 AM
congradulation and welcome to the forum.

~*~Serene~*~
01-27-2006, 01:12 AM
Welcome to the forum James.

Just curious did you find the answer to your question about the birthday thing? Because there is a discussion on it in this thread.

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...birthdays.html

Salam and take care

james
01-27-2006, 03:30 PM
selam.....yes.i did find soem written words regarding birthdays and i have decided to celebrate my birthday anyway......as a J ehovahs Witness i never celebrated a birthday or had a party so i have about 15 years of birthdays to make up for......thats a lot of jelly, ice cream and pass the parcels......lol.

take care......

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.