/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ALL religious books......

james
01-20-2006, 08:54 PM
selam.......i have read the bible and know it inside out (due to my strict upbringing).....and have read other holy books......now dont get me wrong here brothers and sisters but someone said to me that all religious books are a way of controlling the people and were written by men (not women)...and we cannot possibly know if they were or are inspired by god .........

is it a question of just believing or how can i answer this question next time it comes up in conversation.....??????????

i cant prove it either way..You ALL on the other hand know more about this than i do........if i start quoting the Koranor Bible then my aqcauntances say."its a book" thats all.......so......its hard to explain when someone says that....
help!!!!!!!.....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umar001
01-20-2006, 09:35 PM
well ask yorself brother, why did you revert to islam?? what evidence did you see or what reason was behind your statement of bearing witness???

remember they are almost in the same mind as you were before you became muslim.

so bro tell us, why you joined islam, :p

czgibson
01-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Greetings James,
format_quote Originally Posted by james
selam.......i have read the bible and know it inside out (due to my strict upbringing).....and have read other holy books......now dont get me wrong here brothers and sisters but someone said to me that all religious books are a way of controlling the people and were written by men (not women)...and we cannot possibly know if they were or are inspired by god .........
As an atheist, I would agree with this point of view. I have to say that the Bible seems to me to be transparent in its aim of controlling people. However, that's just the way it appears to me - I don't think it's an opinion that could be proven.

is it a question of just believing or how can i answer this question next time it comes up in conversation.....??????????
I think it is a question of belief more than anything else. After all, any argument anyone could produce in support of holy books having been divinely inspired would ultimately depend on that person's belief that that was indeed the case. I think IsaAbdullah's answer is on exactly the right track - you have to ask yourself what it is that convinces you that the holy books you mention are inspired by god.

Peace

james
01-20-2006, 09:51 PM
good question brother......well....i went to a mosque in Istanbul..the blue mosque as its known in England and i had this overwhelming feeling come over me and felt at peace .and then while i was at work someone came and offered me a free Koran which i readily accepted as a sign that Allah wants me......to gain something...So i read the Koran three times.....once as a storybook the second time i read it i wrote down some questions and the third time i tried to answer my own questions. i have never recieved advice from a hoca or immam but am in the proccess of looking for one in my area as i have so much to learn.....Islam to me is a peaceful god fearing religion and due to my upbringing (as a jehovahs witness)...i fear god alot.

so....i am still searching but i believe i have found the TRUTH as it were...
please dont judge me as i am rather new to Islam and have a long way to go before i am as knowledgable as you all are. I dont know how to pray correctly yet so when i visit a mosque ..if it is empty i just pray and speak to Allah in english as i used to do....i am sure Allah is listening becuase Allah know's i am not knoledgable enough yet.so i dont believe i am doing anything wrong when i just speak with him.......

also when i go to a mosque i have a strange mystic peaceful feeling as if a load has been taken from my back and its emotional.....for me......
i cant explain it..i didnt choose this personally but i believe i was lead into a mosques by Allah ......is this wrong???????.......i dont think so......but of course i cant be sure as i have soooooooooooo much to learn.....

thak you brother for your time ......i must go home now and feed myself as its nearly midnight and i am rather hungry.....so we shall speak tomorrow inshallah......PEACE AND LOVE TO ALL MY BROTHERS ND SISTERS ARUND THE WORLD WE RESIDE IN..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdul Fattah
01-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Well in the end neither atheist nor theist have any certaintys regarding this. You either think so or you don't. But some people do believe it while others dont; why? Well I think that lies diffrent with difrent people. For me personally it's a matter of recognition. When I read the qur'an it just seems so obviously true. It is so thoroug and personal, sometimes It feels like it was writen for me personally (Well I know that's not the case, but I don't know how else to describe it).

Then there's the miracles. That's not the ground of belief, but it does reasure. Usually atheists will deny them as either false or a misinterpretation of words or even a fluke. So even there there's no "undeniable" proof. But even if there wood be such a thing as undeniable proof, those who don't want to believe would still deny that. If a philosopher wants, he can deny his own existance, but to what would that amount? You just got to ask: what explenation do you find most logical and most likely true? Atheists will go for teh one you mentioned and believers will go for the one writen inside the book.

Gotta have faith...

Umar001
01-20-2006, 10:02 PM
peace be with you.
I might not be on tomorow, but I would like to just say I do not judge you my brother, I am glad you reverted and yes the feeling you have that Allah guided you might be correct God knows, because many christians use the same 'feeling' I am very happy to have you as a brother and I hope that I see you in heaven, I really urge you to try study as much as you can, because it is those who have knowldge of God that fear him, so keep learning and insh'allah your faith will grow, believe me when it does you will know about it, i have just began to love our prophet peace be upon him and my brothers and sister properly, 6 months after becoming a muslim and I really love it, although the saying the world is like a prison, has now become very true to me and I cant wait to leave, but I really do urge you brother to look at sites suchas www.islamtomorrow.com please and see the proofs and evidences that islam puts forward, there are many of them and they might help.

Be warned, that if you do not practice faith and do not seek knowledge islam can be taken from ya, so please study and study, not blindly but always ask for proof, and seek to understand. Also, when you go mosque, go as soon as possible, seek for a mentor, ask someone to help you pray, learn prayer and so on, beacuse it is very important, but for now untill u learn jus bow with ur head down and ask God for help and so on.

Peace be upon ya

Umar001
01-20-2006, 10:04 PM
well actually, people can have 'faith; totally based on logic! muslims have that, well they should, Zakir Naik claims he does. All of his faith is based on logic as such.

EVERY LAST BIT

czgibson
01-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi Steve,
format_quote Originally Posted by steve
Well in the end neither atheist nor theist have any certaintys regarding this. You either think so or you don't.
Quite so.

If a philosopher wants, he can deny his own existance, but to what would that amount?
Can you name a philosopher who has actually denied his own existence?

Peace

Abdul Fattah
01-20-2006, 10:35 PM
well actually, people can have 'faith; totally based on logic! muslims have that, well they should, Zakir Naik claims he does. All of his faith is based on logic as such.

EVERY LAST BIT
Well of course. And I believe the same thing, I mean, we'r on the same page here. But I used to be an atheist, so I know that "logic" is very fallable. In the end, personal expierence goes a long way.

I mean, I used to be atheistic due to logical reasoning, and later reverted to Islam due to logical reasoning. Obviously logical reasoning isn't enough. In the end of the day, you gotta have faith.

Can you name a philosopher who has actually denied his own existence?
I'm not saying a world know philosopher has actually proposed this. But it is possible. I will not explain it here, because as I said, what would be the point? But if you insist on this, drop me a pb. And inshallah I'll make the time to reply to it soon.
But to get back on topic, my point was, that the border of reality is easaly crossed with philosophical chains of reasoning.

*LJ*
01-20-2006, 11:02 PM
good question brother......well....i went to a mosque in Istanbul..the blue mosque as its known in England and i had this overwhelming feeling come over me and felt at peace..,...

also when i go to a mosque i have a strange mystic peaceful feeling as if a load has been taken from my back and its emotional.....for me......
i cant explain it..i didnt choose this personally but i believe i was lead into a mosques by Allah ......is this wrong???????.......i dont think so......but of course i cant be sure as i have soooooooooooo much to learn.....
Salamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu, its so nice to hear ur story :)

I don't think you're wrong at all to think Allah has lead you to these mosques and lead you to Islam, in fact i think that view is completely right. When you think about all the things that have happened since you started learning about Islam, and drawn you closer to it, then it seems like someone had it all planned out for you. I know this makes me feel happier anyway.

I think its great you feel close to Allah:) What really helps me is just praying for things all the time, in my head, they can be big things or little things, it doesnt matter, i think it just gives me a bit more confidence, and makes me realise that I rely on Allah completely and it helps me to remember Allah.

I was also just wondering how you came to visit the blue mosque in the first place?

Salam,
I wish u all the best.

james
01-21-2006, 01:23 PM
well...hello sister......peace be with you........why did i go?????...well...as a tourist really to see how it was built so long ago without modern tools....It is truly a magnificent building .....so i went as a tourist and came out with an enlightened feeling.........and here i am....it is VERY difficult for me to keep on the right path (i dont mean bad deeds or thoughts .i mean being religious all the time)....but i will try my best with the help of Allah and the prophet Mohammed peace be upon him......and theother prophets.....peace be upon them all.........

we are merely humans .....striving for peace and love ...of Allah......

muslim dude
01-22-2006, 08:36 PM
:sl: James,

Al Hamdulilah, Allah has blessed us a new brother in Islaam! May Allah make all of us meet in Paradise so we can compare the size of our mansions and the number of trees we will have in our gardens of delight, insha'allah :)

You already have a head start ;) as Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) has said that whoever comes to Islam, will get all the reward that the good things they have done before they came to Islam, and all their bad things done before Islam gets forgiven automatically (Allah is just so kind to us) and you get more rewards for all the good you will do for the sake of Allah after embracing Islam (I am not too sure on the exact words).

The fact that you feel that Allah led you to Islam is true. He is the one who guides whom He wants and He knows who is best guided. He loves those who are humble in seeking the truth and loves those who make the first move. I guess He appreciated that you made the time to go to the mosque, and then read the Qur'an and as we muslims say, the mosques' are the houses of Allah, and He certainly made His guest feel welcome by bestowing these feelings of peace, tranqulity, contentment, happiness (I think the arabic term for all these english words is "sakinah") in your heart.

Since you made that one step towards Him, Allah took those many steps towards you James, to bring you closer to Him by guiding you to the truth. Al-Hamdulilah!

But as IsaAbdullah and *LJ* respectively said, to study and make dua to Allah, as Allah loves these things and will bring you even more closer to Him because of it.

Regarding your discussion with people who doubt that the Qur'an is the Word of God, just tell them to write a book of guidence better than it if they are telling the truth.

Regarding your point about people who say that Holy Books are only meant to control people. Say that they are right. Allah has indeed sent the Qur'an to control people, but they have the freedom of choice to follow or obey the guidence contained within it (with descriptions of what is at stake...).

And then add, this is unlike the man-made books (sometimes known as "constitutions") that you have no choice in following. For example, I cannot say, "oh I don't believe in Tony Blair (prime minister of UK) and so I won't pay my taxes". I will be thrown in jail faster than you can say "Freedom and Democracy" :)

Anyway, take care and may Allah increase us all in emaan (faith).

:w:

james
01-23-2006, 12:45 PM
selam//and thanks for your time brother....

i just wanted to comment on something you said ..you said that inshallah we can compare mansions in paradise......well.......perhaps i'm mistaken but isnt that kind of thing wrong....big mansions.money.....etc.?......

or do you think we will all have big mansions in paraidise......personally i just hope we have a football and lots of brothers and sisters in peace and love.....

allahsmalidik...and peace to you .....James

- Qatada -
01-23-2006, 12:51 PM

i just wanted to comment on something you said ..you said that inshallah we can compare mansions in paradise......well.......perhaps i'm mistaken but isnt that kind of thing wrong....big mansions.money.....etc.?......

or do you think we will all have big mansions in paraidise......personally i just hope we have a football and lots of brothers and sisters in peace and love.....

wa alykum as-Salaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri narrated that the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu alayhe wasallam, said, "The people of Paradise will look at the dwellers of lofty mansions (i.e. a superior place in Paradise) in the same way as one looks at a brilliant star, far away in the East or in the West of the horizon. This is because of their superiority over one another (in reward)." One of the people asked, "O Allah's Messenger, are these lofty mansions for the Prophets which no one else can reach?" The Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wasallam, replied, "No! By Allah, in whose Hands is my life, these are for men who believe in Allah and also believe in the Messenger."

(Bukhari and Muslim)

check this link out bro for more descriptions of paradise insha Allaah :)

http://www.alinaam.org.za/library/paradise2.htm

wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

james
01-26-2006, 01:05 PM
WELL....IN THAT CASE..........i'll have the mansion overlooking Medina please.......so please don't take my land in the paradise.......Inshallah i'll see you in the mansion next to mine...INSHALLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..PLEASE BUILD A TENNIS COURT for me in your garden then i won't have to build a second one......
but only ALLAH knows who will make it to paradise......

strange how other religions believe the same thing..(jehovahs witnesses)....(my ex religion)......James says PEACE and NO WAR.......enough is enough...

Muhammad
01-28-2006, 06:27 PM
:sl:

Paradise is different to the world in which we live. Our current world contains much evil, wrongdoings and filth, whereas Paradise is free from all this and Allaah describes it in the Qur'an:

7:43 And We shall remove from their hearts any lurking sense of injury;- beneath them will be rivers flowing;- and they shall say: "Praise be to Allah, who hath guided us to this (felicity): never could we have found guidance, had it not been for the guidance of Allah. indeed it was the truth, that the apostles of our Lord brought unto us." And they shall hear the cry: "Behold! the garden before you! Ye have been made its inheritors, for your deeds (of righteousness)."

15:48 No weariness shall ever touch them in this [state of bliss], and never shall they have to forgo it.Asad(15,35)

16:31 Gardens of Eternity which they will enter: beneath them flow (pleasant) rivers: they will have therein all that they wish: thus doth Allah reward the righteous,-

So in Paradise, a person can have all that he desires, and we must also remember that it is a reward for those who did good in this world. This means that there will be no more test and judgement in Paradise, which we need to go through prior to entering it.

So while money and big mansions in this life is seen as a distraction from the true aim of our life on earth, being that we should utilize our efforts in gaining good deeds; a reward that is different to what we have experienced during (what will be) our brief stay in this life shall compensate such people who have struggled for the sake of Allaah.

In short, this world is a paradise for those who disbelieve, yet the Paradise for those believe in an eternal hereafter is of course that of the hereafter: in which we have all that we desire and Allaah shall never be angry at its inhabitants - may He guide and admit us all to Jannatul Firdaws, Aameen.

I hope this has helped!

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.