/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Tsunami?

S_87
03-28-2005, 06:10 PM
A major quake in the Indian Ocean has hit the coast of the Indonesian tsunami-hit island of Sumatra, triggering an alert across the region.
The quake was given a magnitude of 8.2 by the US Geological Survey who have warned it could cause tidal waves.

The epicentre was located at about 200 km (125 miles) off the mainland.

The US Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said the quake could cause a "widely destructive tsunami" and it was felt as far away as Malaysia.

"Authorities in those regions should be aware of this possibility and take immediate action," the center said in a statement on its website.

It comes three months after a major earthquake and subsequent tsunami in the Indian Ocean on 26 December caused major damage and killed tens of thousands of people in the region.

Russ Evans, a seismologist from the British Geological Survey, told the BBC the Boxing Day earthquake had a magnitude of 9.5.

He says the latest quake was almost certainly an after-shock from the first one and that a tsunami was certainly possible, but on a smaller scale.

'I heard my neighbours screaming'

The quake struck between the Sumatran cities of Padang and Medan at around 2315 local time (1615 GMT) and lasted up to three minutes, said Ramlan of Indonesia's Meteorological and Geophysics Office.

Power blackouts and major panic ensued, local officials told AFP news agency.

The quake was felt across the region with people in the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, some 500km away, evacuating high-rise buildings and running out into the streets.

"I was getting ready for bed, and suddenly, the room started shaking," said Kuala Lumpur resident Jessie Chong.

"I thought I was hallucinating at first, but then I heard my neighbours screaming and running out."

Thailand, which was also hit by the 26 December disaster, has issued an tsunami alert.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khaldun
03-28-2005, 06:11 PM
:sl:

subhanAllah its very sad to heear this, may Allah help the ppl, inshAllah all members make dua for them

S_87
03-28-2005, 06:14 PM
:sl: :omg: i just made a discussion on GC ...didnt know we had this world affairs thread :-[

scary though :(

h1jabi_sista
03-28-2005, 06:33 PM
:omg: Subhanallah!! May allah subhana watha allah send help and guidence to these people inshallah. ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Arwa
03-28-2005, 06:34 PM

That's scary :(

h1jabi_sista
03-28-2005, 06:36 PM
sign of the last day i rekon, more natural disasters........

Uthman
03-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Guys my parents are from mauritius in the indian ocean. The island is the sizee of London. I'm worried.

Arwa
03-28-2005, 06:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by h1jabi_sista
sign of the last day i rekon, more natural disasters........

Yep..and if ur watching the news lately... there have been quiet a few earthquakes.. and of the signs are that earthquakes will become common. :(

h1jabi_sista
03-28-2005, 07:00 PM
:sl: osman,pray for the people inshallah. On the bbc website it says it hit sumatra. Mauritus may not have taken the full effect inshallah. Allah knows best. May allah give them strength and keep them safe. May allah send his mercy upon them and may he send his mercy upon us.

niqaabii
03-28-2005, 07:01 PM
salam
huh ..wot ..hang on ....did another tsunami happen...or r u guys talking about the boxing day one

h1jabi_sista
03-28-2005, 07:05 PM
salaam niqabii!
its another one :(

Uthman
Thanks hijabi_sis

IT's a new one

WomanOfJihad

err . did another Tsunami take place ?

* confused *

May Allah swt make it al easier for them .. n save the Ummah from such calamities . (Ameen)

:w:

niqaabii
03-28-2005, 07:10 PM
ya allah
ive just checked the teletext on TV
its so shocking.....
it so sad....
i wonder how many of our muslim brothers and sister have died
....its so scary...im so glad it didnt happen over here ..otherwise id b dead by now!!

Arwa
03-28-2005, 07:16 PM
wa alaikum assalam

tsunami :(

aamirsaab
03-28-2005, 07:21 PM
the lesson to be learned is: dont take things 4 granted
we never know when our life will end - so make the most of it
my friends nanima passed away seevral weeks ago...but he was fortunate...the night before he saw her...so he was lucky enough to see her one last time. many of us never get that chance.
i didnt get that chance.

live ur life to its full - be urself.

S_87
03-28-2005, 08:03 PM
:Sl:

inshaAllah your family will be afe osman

last time it happened the day after christmas
this time day after easter :omg:

scary :Cry:

SpaceFalcon2001
03-29-2005, 12:32 AM
Where did this new Tsunami occur?

h1jabi_sista
03-29-2005, 08:40 AM
indonisai, i think near sumartra

S_87
03-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Hundreds die in Indonesia quake

People panicked and fled within seconds of the quake
Hundreds of people are believed to have died in Indonesia after a massive earthquake that triggered tsunami alerts around the Indian Ocean.
The island of Nias off Sumatra was worst hit in the 8.7 magnitude quake.

It was felt as far away as Malaysia and Singapore, and thousands fled their homes across a region still reeling from December's devastating tsunami.

But three hours after the quake, tsunami alerts were called off, and people began returning home.

The 26 December tsunami killed an estimated 300,000 people in a dozen countries - two-thirds of them in Indonesia.

Panic

The islands of Nias and Simeulue off the western coast of Sumatra bore the brunt of the quake which struck at around 2315 local time (1615 GMT) and lasted up to three minutes.

Nias, not far from the epicentre, lies about 200km (125 miles) off the Sumatran mainland, and to the south of the province of Aceh, the area worst affected by the 26 December tsunami.

Vice-President Jusuf Kalla told the BBC "more than 1,000 people were possibly dead" in Nias.

However, this was only an estimate based on an assessment of damaged buildings, not a body count. Local officials earlier said about 300 people were feared dead.

Gunungsitoli is now like a dead town

Agus Mendrofa
Official on Nias island

In pictures: Region panics
Thousands flee coastal areas
How earthquakes happen

Around 80% of buildings had been affected in the town of Gunungsitoli, Mr Kalla said.

Ojak Laurentius Sihonbing, a newspaper journalist in Gunungsitoli, said the town had been devastated.

"Many shops on the main road have been destroyed. A lot of them are two-storey buildings. Many roads are cracked and buses can't get through. Power lines are damaged with many tilting at 45 degrees."

He said people had not returned to their homes - they were scared as there were aftershocks - the latest measuring 5.7.

Agus Mendrofa, deputy mayor of Gunungsitoli, told Indonesian TV: "Gunungsitoli is now like a dead town. The situation here is in extreme panic."

The government is sending an assessment team to Nias and Simeulue and President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has declared a state of emergency in the area.

Despite Nias's remoteness it has become a popular resort in recent years with surfers and the money raised from tourism funded a mini building boom, says the BBC's Tim Johnston in Jakarta.

Reports say it was many of these buildings, made from concrete rather than more flexible traditional materials, that collapsed with such disastrous results, our correspondent says.

Tsunami alerts

In Aceh, worst-hit in December, there was pandemonium as people scrambled to higher ground after the government issued a tsunami warning.

In the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur, some 500km from the epicentre, high-rise buildings were evacuated and people ran into the streets.

Ninety seconds is a very long time in an earthquake

Gareth A Richards
Kuala Lumpur resident

Your comments

Thailand and India, badly hit by the December disaster, temporarily issued tsunami alerts while sirens blared in Sri Lanka as people evacuated coastal areas.

Hours later, however, the alerts were called off and people began making their way back.

US Geological Survey spokesman Don Blakeman said that while Monday's quake was an after-shock of December's quake, it was also a "very serious earthquake in its own right".

The epicentres of the two earthquakes were about 160km (100 miles) apart.

However, no tsunami materialised as a smaller area of the ocean floor moved, seismologists say.

"In terms of the size of the event, the main surface rupture of [this] earthquake was probably one quarter of that on Boxing Day - less ocean floor moved," said Geoscience Australia seismologist Trevor Allen.

bbcnews.

Noora_z3
03-29-2005, 01:31 PM
My heart is crying for our Indonesian brothers and sisters, they havent yet finished greiving and here again they r hit with another disaster...May Allah give them strength...:(....I know of a brother who lost 40 members of his family 3 months back...:((...Bro Osman, insha Allah ur paretns and all ur family will be safe....May Allah protect them...Aamin.

aamirsaab
03-29-2005, 02:30 PM
brother osman, i reccomend you get in contact with any friends or family you have there - that way if worst comes 2 worst you will get the chance that i never got - you will get a last chance 2 hear them. inshalla that wont happen but if it does...well you at least you'll get the chance.

Uthman
03-29-2005, 03:06 PM

Inshallah :) Thank you very much everyody.

The tsunami alert has been cancelled now. Chances are unlikely and people are returning to their homes. The undersea earthquake could potentially have triggered a tsunami but didn't alhamdulillah. My heart goes out to your family dearest Aamirsaab. :)

aamirsaab
03-29-2005, 03:14 PM
thnk u
but the one that i didnt get a chance 2 say my good bye was not my family but my auntie - long time ago. but its better that i dont bring that up.
neways. inshalla all will be ok.

Khaldun
03-30-2005, 11:05 PM

Allah shows how powerless we are, He caused the first Tsunami and saved us from the second one SubhanAllah!

h1jabi_sista
03-31-2005, 11:36 AM
ina lilah ina elayhe rajeeoon.

to allah we belong and to allah we return

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.