/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Classroom of Hassan Al-Basri

BlissfullyJaded
01-22-2006, 10:05 PM
:sl:

Medicine for the Talib from Surah AlBaqarah, verse 103
Allah (swt) say’s:
“And they knew that the buyers of (magic) would have no share in the happiness of the Hereafter. And vile was the price for which they did sell their souls, if they but knew!”

In this verse Allah (swt) is talking about the people of Babylon, who sold the Hereafter for the miserable price of magic. However, if you look carefully you’ll find something truly amazing in this verse. Allah (swt) begins by saying, “And they knew.” Then he ends the verse by saying, “If they but knew.” Actually, the form of the opening address, in Arabic, means, “And, indeed, I swear that they knew.” Thus, the ending, “If they only knew,” becomes more perplexing. Thus, what is going on here?

Take Your Medicine
In my explanation of legal verses class at Al-Azhar I found the answer and, I felt that it would be of great benefit to all of those who are trying to seek knowledge and draw closer to their Lord.

Sheikh Muhammad Sayis (ra), the former dean of my college, wrote that Allah (swt) established that these people were indeed people who had knowledge of the Hereafter. However, what good is knowledge if it is not acted upon? Thus, although they had this knowledge, since the failed to act upon it and, in fact, acted against it, it was as though they had no knowledge at all!

Thus, it is important for all of us to make sure that righteous actions constantly blossom from the seeds of our knowledge.

Let’s Enter The Classroom of Hassan Al-Basri (Ra)
Hassan Al-Basri was one of the greatest Tabi’en (students of the Companions (ra). Once, after giving the Friday sermon a group of slaves came to him and said, “Sheikh please, next week, give a speech about freeing the slaves!” Hassan agreed and next week there, waiting anxiously, were the slaves. Hassan ascended the pulpit as the sun rises to the heavens. His speech moved hearts and brought tears to dry eyes, but he failed to mention anything about freeing slaves? The slaves thought to themselves that the Sheikh must have forgot, thus, once again, the following week they took the 50 yard line seats and waited hoping soon to be free. However, the sheikh failed to mention anything again? After a number of weeks the slaves were sure that the sheikh sold them out, gotten cold feet and they began to hold the sheikh in contempt.

One year passed and the tired slaves entered the Masjid of the Sheikh. They had long since forgotten their request and were taken aback, when suddenly he began to mention the conditions of slaves and the importance of freeing them! Their faces looked like bright lamps as the Sheikh encouraged all to free their slaves in exchange for Allah’s mercy and pleasure.

After the sermon the slaves were freed and they ran to the sheikh asking why he waited one year to give the speech. Hassan Al-Basri responded: “At the time you ask me to give the speech I readily agreed. However, after you left I realized that I had no slave of my own. Being a poor man I had to save some money for around one year’s time in order to purchase a slave. Today, al-humdulellah! I was able to purchase a slave. After I purchased him I went to the market and freed him. Finally, I went to the Masjid and gave my sermon.” Looking baffled the freed men asked, “But why? Why did you go to all this trouble?” The sheikh responded, “If I gave that speech a year ago I would have been encouraging the people to do something that I had not done. Thus, I decided to wait until I freed a slave so that my actions and words would be equal.”

May Allah reward Hassan Al-Basri, enlighten his grave and bless us to be those who act on what they know.

Allah knows best
SDW
SOurce

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
hidaayah
01-23-2006, 06:54 AM
Assalam u Alaikum
nice one Mashallah..! read this before..this being from imam suhaib have u listened to his lecture 'Mothers of believers"??,,it's great and a MUst listen..!!
wassalam

------
07-04-2008, 02:38 PM
:salamext:

:bump:

“And they knew that the buyers of (magic) would have no share in the happiness of the Hereafter. And vile was the price for which they did sell their souls, if they but knew!”
Jazaak Allaah Khayr sis, nice reminder...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.