/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Parties

Rabbiyah
01-23-2006, 10:23 AM
:sl: :sister: :brother:
I need to know is it really okay to go or have Birthday Parties it keeps coming back to me every year And not concern with throwing one for myself I am so curious I thoght maybe I read about it somewhere that muslims don't have such events. I was talking to a co-worker and she said that a relative of hers throws birthday parties for his children and he's also an eman please someone make me understand because some of the things we do and say can be confusing for both Muslims and non-muslims.
please read and respond
shuqran :w: :w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aZn_pLayGurL
01-23-2006, 11:18 AM
sALaaMz itz ma mums birthday in 2 dayz n ma mum sed dat we gna av a khatham n read DaRoOd sHaReEf *aSaLaTHo WaSaLaMo*** bLe$$ hEr iNIt :)

Snowflake
01-23-2006, 11:35 AM
:sl:

The prophet (pbuh) said:
“I urge you to follow my Sunnah and the way of the rightly-guided khaleefahs after me; adhere to it and cling to it firmly. Beware of newly-invented things, for every newly-invented thing is an innovation (bid’ah) and every innovation is a going-astray.” (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/126; al-Tirmidhi no. 2676).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them” (narrated by Ahmad, 2/50; Abu Dawood, 4/314). And he said, “Be different from the mushrikeen” (narrated by Muslim, 1/222, no. 259) – especially with regard to things that are the symbols or rituals of their religion.

Allaah did not refer to the birth of the Messenger sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam in the Qur’aan, rather He referred to his Mission, and says what translates as: “Indeed, Allaah conferred a great favour on the believers when He sent among them a Messenger (Muhammad) from among themselves.” (Aal ‘Imraan: 164).

See> http://www.alminbar.com/khutbaheng/9009_2.htm

Also see link below for Ruling on celebrating the birthday of the prophet also:
http://archive.muslimuzbekistan.com/...s26052002.html

:w:

Rabbiyah
01-24-2006, 01:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nadia Waheed

The prophet (pbuh) said:
“I urge you to follow my Sunnah and the way of the rightly-guided khaleefahs after me; adhere to it and cling to it firmly. Beware of newly-invented things, for every newly-invented thing is an innovation (bid’ah) and every innovation is a going-astray.” (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/126; al-Tirmidhi no. 2676).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them” (narrated by Ahmad, 2/50; Abu Dawood, 4/314). And he said, “Be different from the mushrikeen” (narrated by Muslim, 1/222, no. 259) – especially with regard to things that are the symbols or rituals of their religion.

Allaah did not refer to the birth of the Messenger sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam in the Qur’aan, rather He referred to his Mission, and says what translates as: “Indeed, Allaah conferred a great favour on the believers when He sent among them a Messenger (Muhammad) from among themselves.” (Aal ‘Imraan: 164).

See> http://www.alminbar.com/khutbaheng/9009_2.htm

Also see link below for Ruling on celebrating the birthday of the prophet also:
http://archive.muslimuzbekistan.com/...s26052002.html

Salams and shuqan
for your respond and a great reminder that was. I remember reading that hadith I must keep it in mind for as being human I tend to forget some things but something brought me to ask about this subject and my husband told me i seem to go through this every year.:statisfie Oh i want to add and don't get me wrong only because i have mines coming up I am in no way interested in having a birthday party to me money wasted and it's just a blessing to make it another year just gives me time to think about what i've done the last 12 months of my life. don't mean to rant.
salam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MetSudaisTwice
01-24-2006, 01:58 PM
salam
i heard it isn't right in islam becasue you are imitating the kuffars
wasalam

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-24-2006, 02:06 PM

Is it a thing of rejoicment that you are a year closer to your death? Is it something to have a party or happiness about?

S_87
01-24-2006, 02:10 PM

read the following .. :)

The German periodical "Schwäbische Zeitung" (magazine supplement Zeit und Welt) of April 3/4, 1981 on page 4 stated: "The various customs with which people today celebrate their birthdays have a long history. Their origins lie in the realm of magic and religion. The customs of offering congratulations, presenting gifts and celebrating - complete with lighted candles - in ancient times were meant to protect the birthday celebrant from the demons and to ensure his security for the coming year. . . . Down to the fourth century Christianity rejected the birthday celebration as a pagan custom."
The Romans also subscribed to this idea. . . . This notion was carried down in human belief and is reflected in the guardian angel, the fairy godmother and the patron saint. . . . The custom of lighted candles on the cakes started with the Greeks. . . . Honey cakes round as the moon and lit with tapers were placed on the temple altars of [Artemis]. . . . Birthday candles, in folk belief, are endowed with special magic for granting wishes. . . . The birthday candles are thus an honor and tribute to the birthday child and bring good fortune"
source and more

SubhanAllah, do we know what we are celebrating.....

Rabbiyah
01-24-2006, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Åhmed

Is it a thing of rejoicment that you are a year closer to your death? Is it something to have a party or happiness about?

yo that was deep it didn't cross my mind.

Halima
01-24-2006, 02:16 PM

Mashallah. Great point sister Amani.

Furthermore, if we cannot celebrate the birthdays of Prophet Muhammed(saw) or Jesus Christ which clearly says down below...

• If you mean celebrating the likes of the birthday of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) or Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him), then this is clearly unlawful. Such festive days are newly contrived innovations that conflict with the dictates of Islamic Law.

Then what gives us the right to celebrate our own birthdays?

Rabbiyah
01-24-2006, 02:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

read the following .. :)

source and more

SubhanAllah, do we know what we are celebrating.....
thanks for sharing at first I didn't feel like reading it and i thought this person took time out to read my post and respond it wouldn't hurt to read it and guess what that was absolutly interesting with that info it shows that many Christians don't know too much of the history of why or why not to celebrate b-days no offense to anyone just voicing out.

Muezzin
01-24-2006, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Åhmed

It is if you're suicidal.

papa_smurf
01-24-2006, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aZn_pLayGurL
sALaaMz itz ma mums birthday in 2 dayz n ma mum sed dat we gna av a khatham n read DaRoOd sHaReEf *aSaLaTHo WaSaLaMo*** bLe$$ hEr iNIt :)
I somhow think thats not right. Dont do it sis, but then again who im i to tell you, if u feel thats right, then by all means do it........ (But don't its wrong)
Im i confusing????:? :?

iqbal_ibn_adam
01-24-2006, 09:46 PM

please find below a fatwa about celebrating birthday etc

Question :

What is the shar’i ruling on celebrating festivals such as the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), children’s birthdays, Mother’s Day, Tree Week and national holidays?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly: ‘Eid (festival) is the name given to something which returns (ya’ood), and is used to describe gatherings which happen repeatedly, on a yearly, monthly or weekly basis, etc. So an ‘eid includes a number of things, such as a day which comes regularly, e.g., ‘Eid al-Fitr and Friday; gatherings on that day; and actions such as acts of worship and customs which are done on that day.

Secondly: any of these things which are intended as rituals or acts of worship aimed at drawing closer to Allaah or glorifying Him in order to earn reward, or which involve imitating the people of Jaahiliyyah or any other groups of kaafirs, is a prohibited bid’ah, an innovation which comes under the general meaning of the hadeeth: “Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours (Islam) that is not part of it, will have it rejected.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim).

Examples of that include Mawlid al-Nabi (the Prophet’s birthday), Mother’s Day and national holidays, because in the first case there are innovated acts of worship which Allaah has not prescribed, and because it involves imitation of the Christians and other kaafirs. And in the second and third cases there is imitation of the kuffaar. But in cases where the intention is to organize work to serve the interests of the ummah and to put its affairs straight, or to organize programs of study, or to bring employees together for work purposes etc., which in and of themselves do not involve acts of worship and glorification, then these are a kind of benign innovation which do not come under the meaning of the hadeeth, “Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours (Islam) that is not a part of it will have it rejected.” So there is nothing wrong with such things, indeed they are allowed by sharee’ah.

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions, and grant them peace.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 3/59 (www.islam-qa.com)

Tasneem
01-24-2006, 10:08 PM
We are not suppose to do birthday parties

This is imatation the Kufr or non-Muslims

The eids should be enough

SaLaMz

iqbal_ibn_adam
01-24-2006, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jihad_spun
We are not suppose to do birthday parties

This is imatation the Kufr or non-Muslims

The eids should be enough

SaLaMz

This reminds me a Ahadeeth "give son of Adam a valley of gold and he'll ask for another one"

i think we are not content with what Allah (swt) has allowed us but we wnt more.

May Allah (swt) keep us on the stright path inshA.ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.