/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ethenic groups and its food.

papa_smurf
01-23-2006, 09:25 PM
This may seem like a useless topic, but who cares.

Why is it that bengali's love their fishy fish and thier betal leafs. :X

Pakis love their spinach.

Indians love thier chapatis. :)

Whats all that about. Can anyone add more on.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Takumi
01-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Malays go nuts over their rendang and dodol! :)

papa_smurf
01-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Hey u gotta explain what these are??? I might wanna try them out

Mawaddah
01-23-2006, 10:22 PM
I go nuts over them too Takumi and I'm only half malay :p

rendang is like a dried meat curry like....and dodol is a chewy candy like thing made from coconut milk and what do you call it? palm sugar? or something like that, and it's yummy :D I can't really describe

Arabs cannot go without their Khubz (bread)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zaheer
01-23-2006, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by papa_smurf

:sl:
yo bro u tryin to be funny. it's culture if u ever knew. LOL;D

huh.... u forgot the main one, why do the Chinesse eat noodles

Noor
01-23-2006, 10:28 PM

Don't forget the Somali's and their banana with rice!...and pasta and everything!

jzcasejz
01-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Trust me Bengalis love their Rice!!!! With curry of course;D :happy: I've been eatin' rice pretty much every day of my life ;D :giggling:

*charisma*
01-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Arabs cannot go without their Khubz (bread)
true :)
also:
zayt and za'tar
minsef
makluba
knafaaaa *love that*
baklawa
shawarma
falafel
humus
shay *tea* lol
kiftah

yup thats about most of it, so long for the carb diet lol

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Brother_Mujahid
01-23-2006, 10:52 PM
gujatis love thier biryani

pakistanis love their dood pati chaa (1/2 milk, 1/2 water) fanblastic tea

khadijah06
01-23-2006, 10:53 PM
My hubby is Bengali :brother: and all he loves to eat is Chicken, chicken,chicken! i get fed up of cooking chicken! :enough!:

Tasneem
01-23-2006, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zaheer
yo bro u tryin to be funny. it's culture if u ever knew. LOL;D

huh.... u forgot the main one, why do the Chinesse eat noodles
And why black ppl.like soul food

SaLaMz

TabTabiun
01-23-2006, 11:08 PM
As-Salaam Walikum
Why DO BLACK PEOPLE LIKE Fried Food such as french fries, cheese burgers , bacon.... Why?
~~~As-Salaam Walikum~~~

khadijah06
01-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Im black and i dont like all that fried food. Generally speaking i think black people do like that stuff but not all. In my country we love spicy food, so it could be fish, chicken whatever. I cant really generalise wiv jamaicans cos we eat loads of different foods.

Tasneem
01-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah im black too

But i dont eat alot of ''fattening foods'' either

SaLaMz

sapphire
01-23-2006, 11:35 PM
llllooolll!!!this is funny.....and soooo true........but i didnt know about the spinich and pakis...lol....i think i used to eat it becoz popeye ate it ;D.but yeah its real true i do th stuff mentioned bout both pakis and gujis.....

Eliwen
01-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Lol, hen I was at an Islamic school there was a thing about the Bengalis and fish Paki's and chappati and for some reason Guji's and tin tamatoes!

Shadow
01-24-2006, 12:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
shawarma
yup thats about most of it, so long for the carb diet lol

fi aman Allah
w'salaam
I INSIST EVERYONE WHO EVER VISITED SAUDI ARABIA TO EAT THAT!!!!!!!!
seriously the next time im over there, im packing myself with shawarmas

its the best

Safa
01-24-2006, 12:19 AM
QUOTE]
Assalamu alaikum,

What the heck are betal leafs?

Anyway, I'm bengali and rice with curry or dal (lentils,I think) is something we eat often.

Really, bengali's love fish? I had no idea.

I'm more of a shawarma person, I could live off of it.

Wa 'alaikum salam

sapphire
01-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Pan=beetle leaf??innit?

mahdisoldier19
01-24-2006, 12:26 AM
salam

Im from Afghanistan, anyone who here tasted Afghan food knows put your hands down because nothing beats our Shish Kabaab and rice , Though desis won the spicey stuff i dont know man desi what kind of stuff they do with teh spices

zaheer
01-24-2006, 12:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safa
Assalamu alaikum,

What the heck are betal leafs?

Anyway, I'm bengali and rice with curry or dal (lentils,I think) is something we eat often.

Really, bengali's love fish? I had no idea.

I'm more of a shawarma person, I could live off of it.

Wa 'alaikum salam
i think betal leaves are called PAN
:w:

Takumi
01-24-2006, 12:48 AM
Hey u gotta explain what these are??? I might wanna try them out

Rendang: Beef/chicken cooked with coconut milk, chilli and spices. Imagine slow cooking your chicken curry for 4 hours on a VERY,VERY low heat. I remember liquifying the coconut meat [yeah, the white stuff inside the coconut] after my mom fried it. So that it will bring the flavor. Not good if you're on a low carb or low calorie diet.

Dodol: Oh dear! My family made it only once and we promised never to make it again. It's brown sugar, plus coconut milk and sometimes flavoring like durian, being heated up on a very very low fire for hours and hours until the whole concoction become jelly like. Final product: Sticky and sweet! If you're wearing retainers, watch out! :p

Tasneem
format_quote Originally Posted by mahdisoldier19
salam

Im from Afghanistan, anyone who here tasted Afghan food knows put your hands down because nothing beats our Shish Kabaab and rice , Though desis won the spicey stuff i dont know man desi what kind of stuff they do with teh spices

Yeah-

Shish Kabaabs are pretty good

But i dont eat them alot lol

But they are good

SaLaMz

TabTabiun
As-Salaam Walikum
I Am BLACK Also But MOST Black People Eat Fried Foods I Don't Inshallah Because My Umee Has us on this Type of Program Like- FOREVER!!! And the program is Fruits and Vegetables: Sun.-Fri. And we ONLY Are allowed to have sweets on Saturday.Mashallah I am GLAD That she CARES Because most teenagers my age has diabetes due to their parents being Iresponsible and neglectful. :thankyou:
~~~As-Salaam Walikum~~~

sapphire
01-24-2006, 12:55 AM
um excuse me u just offended me biggg time...and do get ur facts right before posting!!!!!!!!

Eliwen
01-24-2006, 01:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by TabTabiun
As-Salaam Walikum
I Am BLACK Also But MOST Black People Eat Fried Foods I Don't Inshallah Because My Umee Has us on this Type of Program Like- FOREVER!!! And the program is Fruits and Vegetables: Sun.-Fri. And we ONLY Are allowed to have sweets on Saturday.Mashallah I am GLAD That she CARES Because most teenagers my age has diabetes due to their parents being Iresponsible and neglectful. :thankyou:
~~~As-Salaam Walikum~~~
Can you explain to me how diabetes is caused by neglectful parents??? It's weird 'cause i've always known it to be caused by lack of insulin :? Do you have medical qualifications or something?

TabTabiun
01-24-2006, 01:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sapphire
um excuse me u just offended me biggg time...and do get ur facts right before posting!!!!!!!!
Oh Did I? Well PLEASE Forgive me because I DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND YOU.... You KNOW WHAT I Am about to cry... because another Muslim feels that I Have offended them....:( :unhappy: :confused: :'(

papa_smurf
01-24-2006, 09:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Takumi
Rendang: Beef/chicken cooked with coconut milk, chilli and spices. Imagine slow cooking your chicken curry for 4 hours on a VERY,VERY low heat. I remember liquifying the coconut meat [yeah, the white stuff inside the coconut] after my mom fried it. So that it will bring the flavor. Not good if you're on a low carb or low calorie diet.

Dodol: Oh dear! My family made it only once and we promised never to make it again. It's brown sugar, plus coconut milk and sometimes flavoring like durian, being heated up on a very very low fire for hours and hours until the whole concoction become jelly like. Final product: Sticky and sweet! If you're wearing retainers, watch out! :p
Im gonna try out the Rendang when i get home, can u get us a recipe or do i get it of the net.
I wouldn't bother with the Dodol, im not a sweet tooth.
Jazakalah bro, much appreciated.

hope it tastes nice, im counting on you.

Takumi
01-24-2006, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eliwen
Can you explain to me how diabetes is caused by neglectful parents??? It's weird 'cause i've always known it to be caused by lack of insulin :? Do you have medical qualifications or something?
There are three kinds of diabetes:

(1) Juvenile onset diabetes
(2) Adult onset diabetes
(3) Diabetes insipidus.

The diabetes that you refer to is genetically caused, thus, the lack of insulin production to convert blood sugar into useful energy packets. So, patients inject insulin to help their body out.

The diabetes that the brother's talking about is (2) where improper diet and too much intake of refined carbohydrates exhaust the mechanism by which insulin uses to transport free flowing sugar in the blood into our cells. So, people with (2) take tablets that help their insulin to do the job.

The brother is right.

I wouldn't say irreponsible or neglectful, but maybe not careful or uninformed about the effects of too much sugar and refined carbohydrates do cause adult onset diabetes (2) in many teenagers.

If you'd like to know more, please go to any low carbohydrates diet advocates website. I'm beginning to sound like a dietician here... :p

Usmansaab
01-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Whata bouta the italians with their pizza? :P

i makea u a pizza and some spaghetti bolonasgneya! :P

salaams to all!!!! [S]HELLO[/S]

Sharifa
01-24-2006, 05:26 PM
SOmali's and their Malawa and Chai(tea)

Ethiopians and their Anjara's

Kenyati's and thier Corn

Mexian and their taco's ...enchalada's..Qasisia's hmmm am I just listing of the Taco bell Menu;D

French and their Krepes

sapphire
01-24-2006, 07:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Takumi
There are three kinds of diabetes:

(1) Juvenile onset diabetes
(2) Adult onset diabetes
(3) Diabetes insipidus.

The diabetes that you refer to is genetically caused, thus, the lack of insulin production to convert blood sugar into useful energy packets. So, patients inject insulin to help their body out.

The diabetes that the brother's talking about is (2) where improper diet and too much intake of refined carbohydrates exhaust the mechanism by which insulin uses to transport free flowing sugar in the blood into our cells. So, people with (2) take tablets that help their insulin to do the job.

The brother is right.

I wouldn't say irreponsible or neglectful, but maybe not careful or uninformed about the effects of too much sugar and refined carbohydrates do cause adult onset diabetes (2) in many teenagers.

If you'd like to know more, please go to any low carbohydrates diet advocates website. I'm beginning to sound like a dietician here... :p

lllooooooll!!!my sister was joking!!she knowes about tht real well, it comes frm living with a diabetic....and who knowes better than actually witnessing it firsthand....yeah your kind of right....dietician dont sound like that...they are more friendly(abit too friendly:p) oh and type two diabetes is more comman in ppl age 40+..i could go on...but its off topic.....:)

Ra`eesah
01-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Just a reminder to myself and all here on this forum.

Please fear Allaah and think before you hit the 'submit' button. Another thing is to be careful with ‘general’ statements in a gathering, you are likely to offend people with out doing so intentionally. One of my sisters actually has diabetes shge got it at the age of 5 and its had nothing to do with her ‘parents being neglectful’ it was hereditary and also most importantly the will of Allaah. So again let us be mindful of our words and thoughts that we share.

papa_smurf
01-25-2006, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eliwen
Lol, hen I was at an Islamic school there was a thing about the Bengalis and fish Paki's and chappati and for some reason Guji's and tin tamatoes!
Gujis and tin tomatoes:? :? Gujis love their chappaties, i know for sure.

MetSudaisTwice
01-25-2006, 04:35 PM
salam
bengalis love their rice with curries, this is my food ever since i was a kid
wasalam

afriend2
01-25-2006, 04:38 PM
salaam,

in this madrassah i know,some people were saying that bengalis are obsessed with fish, but me and my bro and sisters hate fish. i dont really get that :?

wassalam

MetSudaisTwice
01-25-2006, 04:40 PM
salam
i always get snidy remarks that bengalis are fish and they smell of fish
i always thought musk al madinah never smells of fish
wasalam

Z
01-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Salaam

I am Gujarati, and I don't see a craze for chappattis in my family. I love fish too, more than Bengalis love it. Stop making statements such as.

afriend2
01-25-2006, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
i always get snidy remarks that bengalis are fish and they smell of fish
i always thought musk al madinah never smells of fish
wasalam
salaam,

lol brother,i dont get those remarks either. :rant:
i thought whatever the ethnicity, people eat fish (if they like it that is)

wassalam

TabTabiun
01-25-2006, 11:16 PM
As-Salaam Walikum
I Am NOT bengali And I Love Fish....
I REALLY Do NOT Thinks what the ethncity is...
~~~As-Salaam Walikum~~~

abs
02-14-2006, 08:54 PM
what is everyone talking about

The Ruler
02-14-2006, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abs
what is everyone talking about
wat der ethnic group likes most i fink :?

UmmKhadi
02-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Salaam aleikum

A typical Norwegian cant go a day without potatoes. Boiled. To anything.

papa_smurf
02-14-2006, 09:15 PM
is it true chinese eat mice!?

Hajar
02-14-2006, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by UmmKhadi
Salaam aleikum

Yeah same as Dutch people..!!

Moroccans have Cous Cous ..Yummy :)

afriend2
02-15-2006, 11:55 AM
is it true chinese eat mice!?
salaam,

;D im not sure, but my friend who is chinese says she enjoys eating dogs!!! :muddlehea :phew

wassalam

papa_smurf
02-16-2006, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nazia
salaam,

;D im not sure, but my friend who is chinese says she enjoys eating dogs!!! :muddlehea :phew

wassalam
Dogs!! depends what u marinate it's meat with.;D

The Ruler
02-16-2006, 06:21 PM
i dunno if dis was said b4 but the heart shaped leaf is very common in bengalis som cal it paan others cal it gua :giggling:

papa_smurf
02-16-2006, 06:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tagrid
i dunno if dis was said b4 but the heart shaped leaf is very common in bengalis som cal it paan others cal it gua :giggling:
Its a disgusting habit. Specially in some built-up asian areas u find red stains on the pavements, and stupid me thought it was a gangster area wid blood everywhere, until i saw an old chacha going "kwaaaaat'tooo" (he just spat)with *RED* coming out his mouth. ;D hmm

Shadz111
02-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Its a disgusting habit. Specially in some built-up asian areas u find red stains on the pavements, and stupid me thought it was a gangter area wid blood everywhere, until i saw an old chacha going "kwaaaaattoo" with *RED* coming out his mouth. ;D yuck:)

lol that's so tru...I have a friend, whos mum has pan every 5-10 mins man...proper not gud 4 ur health..."Kwaaaattoo"..lol

afriend2
02-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Its a disgusting habit. Specially in some built-up asian areas u find red stains on the pavements, and stupid me thought it was a gangster area wid blood everywhere, until i saw an old chacha going "kwaaaaat'tooo" (he just spat)with *RED* coming out his mouth. ;D hmm

salaam,

;D aw man, thats typical! :giggling: ergh trust me its worse when the "kwaaat'too" is aimed at the face!! :grumbling

wassalam

The Ruler
02-18-2006, 03:58 PM
salaam,

;D aw man, thats typical! :giggling: ergh trust me its worse when the "kwaaat'too" is aimed at the face!! :grumbling

wassalam
yuk!!! hu wud do DAT??!!!

until i saw an old chacha going "kwaaaaat'tooo" (he just spat)with *RED* coming out his mouth. ;D hmm
its verrrrryy common amongst grandmas n grandpas :happy: ;D

'kwaaaaat'tooo' << LOL ;D ;D ;D ... i dunno how u got the onomatoepia :giggling:

S_87
02-18-2006, 04:06 PM

bajans love their chicken- Mcdonalds was unsucessful there and had to be closed down because of lack of chicken legs :giggling:

and..unfortunately..Alchohol. you see beer shops everywhere :rolleyes:

alot of indians have chapatti twice a day >_< everyday
dont they get sick of it?

The Ruler
02-18-2006, 04:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
bajans
hu r dey? :? :confused:

S_87
02-18-2006, 04:11 PM
hu r dey? :? :confused:

bajans/barbadians from barbados west indies

Falafel Eater
02-18-2006, 04:15 PM

Some restaurant in China got in trouble for selling Dog meat marinated in tiger urine.. he was trying to pass it on as Tiger meat, and had been doing so for a few years. -- Tiger meat is an illegal delicacy in China. :rollseyes

In Korea, they skin dogs alive, because they believe they taste better if they feel pain :? Its so sad, i saw documentary about it.

abs
02-18-2006, 05:58 PM
eeeeeeeeeel, how can u put masala in dogs;D

afriend
02-18-2006, 06:05 PM
LOL^

But i think different people and cultures just eat what's closest to them and more available e.g. In Bangladesh we have tons of FISH (that's why we're so clever, LOL)....but don't get me wrong, i don't eat fish too much, i can't live without my meat and chicken, but i just eat wahtever is on my plate, i'm not like my bro and sis, Now there are two example of picky!!

S_87
02-20-2006, 12:02 PM

if you eat fish you get clever???????????????

cihad
02-20-2006, 03:52 PM
turkish people love their cheese ,olives and bread -no spices in their food
afrikaaners(white dutch peopleinthe place i live)-love braais (barbeques)

afriend2
02-20-2006, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
In Bangladesh we have tons of FISH (that's why we're so clever,LOL)....[/I][/B]!!

salaam!!!

yeah...:okay: ;) you said it bro!!! ;D

wassalam

Inshallah
02-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Hyderabadiz love their biryani, BEST BIRYANI IN THE WORLD!!!!!!

Umm Safiya
02-27-2006, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by UmmKhadi
Salaam aleikum

Lol, thats so typical danish too.. Always potatoes.. ;D

format_quote Originally Posted by Noor

Don't forget the Somali's and their banana with rice!...and pasta and everything!

I had bananas and rice yesterday.. It actually tastes really good I think! :statisfie

Snowflake
02-28-2006, 06:43 PM
my bengali friend always has one in her mouth, she's v. pretty but when she opens her mouth she looks like she's just ate someone's liver lololol :giggling:

salaam,
wassalam
ewww they prob got dishes named like 'scooby dooby doo stir-fry' lol
and they eat cats and snakes as well :vomit:

and i'm sorry to say this cuz its sick but i heard they eat human fetuses as well :(

afriend2
02-28-2006, 06:45 PM
salaam,

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
my bengali friend always has one in her mouth, she's v. pretty but when she opens her mouth she looks like she's just ate someone's liver lololol :giggling:
and thats why i never touch the stuff.....it looks like your mouth is bleeding constantly as well....:offended: :grumbling

ewww they prob got dishes named like 'scooby dooby doo stir-fry' lol
and they eat cats and snakes as well :vomit:

and i'm sorry to say this cuz its sick but i heard they eat human fetuses as well :(

lol....ergh!!! :offended: that is icky!! :heated:

wassalam

Snowflake
02-28-2006, 06:51 PM
salaam,
and thats why i never touch the stuff.....it looks like your mouth is bleeding constantly as well....:offended: :grumbling
last week she asked me to come with her to a job interview and on the way back i said something funny. the next thing i know she burst out laughing showering the whole car with red bits of paan :grumbling i still luv her though :happy:

afriend2
02-28-2006, 06:53 PM
salaam,

lol im used to that lol!! you should see some of my relatives....do not wear white with them :) :giggling:

wassalam

Snowflake
02-28-2006, 06:57 PM
^lolol i tried some paan in pakistan once. it actually tastes quiet nice. do you like chappatis nazia sis?

this thread has made me hungry.. I think i'll have paratha now ;)

afriend2
02-28-2006, 06:58 PM
salaam,

i :loving: chappatis. had some yesterday with lamb curry and it was yummy!! ....e-send me some! :)

wassalam

Snowflake
02-28-2006, 07:07 PM
salaam,

i :loving: chappatis. had some yesterday with lamb curry and it was yummy!! ....e-send me some! :)

wassalam

Here you go sis.. hope you enjoy them.. send me some fish and rice.. mmmm i love em' :okay:

Mawaddah
02-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Chappatis for me taste really ok actually but then after five years of eating that every morning.........I'm just tired of it now :uhwhat

Is this batel leaf that the bengalis chew something like the leaf the Yemenis chew? Yemenis chew this kind of leaf, it's called Qaat but its green and they stuff alot of it in their cheeks until their cheeks are huuuuge and swollen with that stuff that you can actually see their veins:heated: and it's so disgusting to see them talking with it, because they're like talking and spitting this green gob of saliva all over the place and chewing :offended:

So I should conclude, Yemenis cannot live without Their Qaat :)

afriend2
03-01-2006, 05:19 PM
salaam,

^^^ dont know sis, but the description seems the same ;D

sis Zorro....heres the fish....

http://www.rasterman.com/photos/fish/dscn5058.jpg

enjoy!! :)

wassalam

Snowflake
03-01-2006, 07:52 PM
loooolz ewww how could offer me ur leftovers from last nights dinner? :heated:

i can even see ur teeth marks on it :grumbling

;D ;)

nihma333
03-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Haitians gotta have their durie kole a pois.

Hijaabi22
03-04-2006, 02:47 PM

[PIE]pakis luv their spinach????:?

eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww im a full on paki and i HATE spinach!!!!:okay: :okay: [/PIE]

afriend2
03-04-2006, 04:35 PM
loooolz ewww how could offer me ur leftovers from last nights dinner? :heated:

i can even see ur teeth marks on it :grumbling

;D ;)
salaam,

lol sis....if you aint eating it i might as well....;D :okay: :statisfie

im wondering what the common food is of russia?? :? anyone here know....:rollseyes :uhwhat

wassalam

bezimany 071
03-04-2006, 05:17 PM
bosnians gotta have their
cevap...pronounced chevapi

burek

and many others

mahdisoldier19
03-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Man have you ever been to 53rd and 6th?

Sister_6038
03-24-2006, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noor

lololl sis thats so true but hey its like the sweet and sour somali version lol tho i love eating dates with my food yum yum cos bananas will run out some time tho i am tryin to get my fair share haha...mmmm bananas yummy...actaully forget somalis i have a weird habit of eating the strangest food together and in that i have found many cool recipes lolol

Sister_6038
03-24-2006, 05:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bezimany 071
bosnians gotta have their
cevap...pronounced chevapi

burek

and many others
mmmm that looks delicious

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.