/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ahhhah frustrating simple Arabic sentence ...or is it?????

Andaraawus
01-24-2006, 09:52 PM
As-Salamu alaykum

i am having difficulty on which seems to be a simple sentence

ضرباً غير مبرح ولا شائن

i got the first part ....a beating that is not violent

and not somrthing, i know its not a verb in the past tense as it would have a maa before it but what confuses me is it looks like an Ismu fa'il but because it has the laa before it, i dont understand why its not monsoob having the extra alif....

ok whos lost???

anyways i would like to know what shaainu means ... its quite a simple word on the outlook, i have certainly had the dictionary out...

oh yes i am also looking for Arabic dictionarys online to help me with my studys ....wasalams

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amirah_87
03-31-2006, 10:51 PM
salaams akhee,
"shaa'in" its roots comes from the verb :"shaana" which is the past tense, "yasheenu" is the present it means :to disfigure or disfeature (there's also more meanings to it but i find that these two suit the sntence better).
shaa'in : means dishonourable , scandulous
shayn:means disfigurement.

so the meaning to your whole sentence akhee will be : a beating that is not violent nor scandulous.........allah knows best.

you askied about an online dictionary !!! go to www.babel.com , i havent tried it bet a freind of mine uses it .

wassalaam!!!!!!!!!

- Qatada -
03-31-2006, 10:53 PM
:salamext:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/ i think its this site, but it doesn't support arabic. Allaahu a'lam.

:wasalamex

amirah_87
03-31-2006, 10:57 PM
salaams akhee,
i pretty sure thats its babel only , a freind of mine teaches and she uses that to help her on the words she doesnt know ..... give it a try
salaamz:):)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Andaraawus
03-31-2006, 11:57 PM
thank you ... i left a little note on your rep which you can find in the user c.p wasalams

amirah_87
04-01-2006, 12:00 AM
salaams akhee , i'm kinda new to this 3rd day can you just spell out to me how to get there????????????

thanx

amirah_87
04-01-2006, 12:02 AM
salaams ,
no worries found it!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

extinction
04-07-2006, 01:27 PM
wow you guys can speak fushaa I know a little but its hard!!!!

amirah_87
04-25-2006, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Andaraawus
As-Salamu alaykum

i am having difficulty on which seems to be a simple sentence

ضرباً غير مبرح ولا شائن

, i dont understand why its not monsoob having the extra alif....

hey akhee i forgot ot answer this bit sorry about that....................

well the reasons shaa'in is not mansuub is because the laa' before is called laa' un-naafiyah.....every noun that comes after has to be mar'fuu

Muslimaatan
04-27-2006, 05:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87

well the reasons shaa'in is not mansuub is because the laa' before is called laa' un-naafiyah.....every noun that comes after has to be mar'fuu
heyyyyyyyyyy!! i just took the lesson of i3rab about laa annafiya 2day!! and how it works in i3rab..that was sooooo easy!! same time borin..cuz i took these stuff wen i was in palestine, wen i was like in 4th grade, but then i came bakk here.....n stayed here...2 bad 4 me..

extinction
04-27-2006, 05:16 AM
no but then wouldnt a punishment that doesnt disfigure be more in context with the content? I'm sure thats the proper meaning? I think it refers to the husband punishing the wife

Muslimaatan
04-28-2006, 02:45 AM
yeah i think it refers 2 that too...

extinction
04-28-2006, 04:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimaatan
yeah i think it refers 2 that too...
for the same reason that I do or for other reasons?

Mawaddah
04-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Isn't that in the hadeeth when the Prophet tells about how the beating of a wife should be done

amirah_87.........mumkin uraaji' ma3aki al kutub an nahwiyyah? Because boyyyyyy after we left Dammaj all of my grammar taarat ma3a ar-reeh ;D

Muslimaatan
04-29-2006, 03:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
for the same reason that I do or for other reasons?
i dunno wat ur reason is...

Hamba Allah
04-29-2006, 08:20 AM
I don't know where to write this but it's the closest thread to my problem

What does "Ad at Tatar" mean?

amirah_87
04-29-2006, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AsilahRana
Isn't that in the hadeeth when the Prophet tells about how the beating of a wife should be done

amirah_87.........mumkin uraaji' ma3aki al kutub an nahwiyyah? Because boyyyyyy after we left Dammaj all of my grammar taarat ma3a ar-reeh ;D
Salaaams Asilah

yeah thats a hadeeth, we it covered with Shiekha Aisha in Dharaary!!! hafidahaallah(kitab an-nikaah) ,
and yes mumkin nuraaji3 al-kutub an-nahawiyyah ma'an , i know how u can forget it soo quick without the muraa'aja'ah but alhamdulillah , a sister asked me to teach her the luqat , including the sarf which umm hayaat taught us , so i've started medina book 1 with her she wants me to go all the way to qadr aswell which i don't mind cause it'll be good muraaja'ah for me ......innit

wassalaams

Silver
04-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Shae'n means :Disgraceful.

Silver
04-30-2006, 09:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
Shae'n means :Disgraceful.
Sorry,I meant to say Disgraceful.

Noora_z3
04-30-2006, 09:55 AM

The first part is true, the laa' is called Laa' un-nafiay, but the second part is wrong, every noun that comes after has to be Majzoom, means (Sokoun) at the end. I am pretty sure of my answer..:)

afriend
04-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Does:

و الله يعلم ما تسمعون

Mean-And Allah knows what you do not hear?

Mawaddah
04-30-2006, 10:53 AM
^ No Bro Iqram, It means, : And Allah knows What you Hear

The 'Maa' here in the verse is not Naahiyah or Naafiyah But it's part of the word "Maa Dhaa" Which means 'what'

afriend
04-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Jazakallah wa barakallah feek...

Mawaddah
04-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Wa Iyyak Wa Feeka Baarak Allah :)

Andaraawus
05-02-2006, 11:40 AM
salams

bro ma is only used in a negative for the past tense la will be used for the imperfect tense for negation.

the text i was struggling with is actually from Ibn Abbas's Tanweer ul miqbas
if its a hadith please show me where i can find this hadeeth ...i need it ...wasalams

amirah_87
05-03-2006, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noora_z3
The first part is true, the laa' is called Laa' un-nafiay, but the second part is wrong, every noun that comes after has to be Majzoom, means (Sokoun) at the end. I am pretty sure of my answer..:)
salaams sis

as far as i know ukhti the noun which coms after "laa" an-naafiyyah " is mar'fuu3 definetly not "majzuum" , i think the one your trying to refer to is : "lum" harf nafiy wa jazam , this comes before the af-f3aal (only) and makes it majzuum .
as for " laa an-naafiyah" makin "a noun majzuum" well thats the first time i heard of that one .....wallaahu a'lam!!
oh yeah you might've also gotten it mistaken with "laa an-naahiya" but this only makes the af-3aal (vrbs) mujzuum...

wallaahu 3laa maa naquulu wakeel!!

wa alaykum ass salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

Noora_z3
05-03-2006, 09:25 PM
salaams sis

as far as i know ukhti the noun which coms after "laa" an-naafiyyah " is mar'fuu3 definetly not "majzuum" , i think the one your trying to refer to is : "lum" harf nafiy wa jazam , this comes before the af-f3aal (only) and makes it majzuum .
as for " laa an-naafiyah" makin "a noun majzuum" well thats the first time i heard of that one .....wallaahu a'lam!!
oh yeah you might've also gotten it mistaken with "laa an-naahiya" but this only makes the af-3aal (vrbs) mujzuum...

wallaahu 3laa maa naquulu wakeel!!

wa alaykum ass salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh
salam sis...

hmmmm...well i check it out...Jazaka Allah for the info...

extinction
05-03-2006, 11:51 PM
shain means disgraceful but im sure when i heard the commentary it was so it does not disfigure

aakhirah
05-04-2006, 10:53 AM
:sl:

I'm unsure about this explanation. Isn't shaa-in supposed to be maksoor because it's doing 'atf on (and, therefore, taabi' of) mubriH(in) because it comes after ghayr?

:w:

A.

amirah_87
05-04-2006, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aakhirah

I'm unsure about this explanation. Isn't shaa-in supposed to be maksoor because it's doing 'atf on (and, therefore, taabi' of) mubriH(in) because it comes after ghayr?

A.
barak allaahu feek!!!

i'll have a look into that it's actually a hadeeth so i'll see wheter it follows mubarrih with the hukum of gayr......well spotted though akhee , there could be a possibilityy that shaa'in s maksoor.....wallaahu a'lam

Andaraawus
05-07-2006, 03:23 AM
salams

does anybody know the translation and the root for this tricky little word بحاء

its had me for a while .... its not bi harfi jarr and haa'a (name)..its something else , i cant find or figure ...sos(save my sells- brain sells )

Muslimaatan
05-07-2006, 03:43 AM
lolzz..im not sure...
my teacherz name is br.Bahaa..lolz..:-D

Andaraawus
05-07-2006, 04:14 AM
As-Salamu Alaykum , welcome sis , i see that youre a student of Arabic ..
may Allah bless you in that ...wasalams...

peeeps please see above ...i need to get the translation for the word ...its bugging me ...i might just be cheeeky enough to give my teachers a early morning wake up call muhahhahhahahahah!

Andaraawus
05-07-2006, 11:40 AM
بحاء anybody?

Nawal89
05-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Are you sure it's spelt with that haa and not the other one? Because with that haa its not found in the dictionary...with the other one (the round curvy one with no belly :p) it means beautiful..grace..Also the root word for that would either be baa haa waaw or baa haa yaa, coz words ending in either yaa alif or waaw, you can switch between either one of the three when looking for it in the dictionary.

Andaraawus
05-07-2006, 11:19 PM
as-salamu alaykum , nawal thanks ever so much , youre correct i spelt it wrong ... may Allah reward you all with much goodness for helping ... wasalams

Andaraawus
05-07-2006, 11:33 PM

heres another word im stuck with ..i know it means his somthing

منته

im not to sure as to what that something is ..

aakhirah
05-08-2006, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Andaraawus

heres another word im stuck with ..i know it means his somthing

منته

im not to sure as to what that something is ..

I think it's more likely to be a faa'il (verb IV: muf'il). Does it not mean smelly/repulsive (as in pong) or something to that effect?

A.

amirah_87
05-24-2006, 12:56 PM
barak allaahu feek!!!

i'll have a look into that it's actually a hadeeth so i'll see wheter it follows mubarrih with the hukum of gayr......well spotted though akhee , there could be a possibilityy that shaa'in s maksoor.....wallaahu a'lam
ass salaamu alaykum

finally i've cracked the code * i think* , well here's the i'raab to the whole sentence insha'allah i've checked it with my ex grammer teacher who said it was correct , but she's gonnna double check with our shiekh ...well untill then i'll put it up , and if you guys see any mistakes that i might've made please feel free to correct me ....

ÖÑäÇ :
mubtada and the noon is either faa'il or mudaaf ilayhe-they are both allowed

ÛíÑ:
khabr
ãÈÑÍ :
mudaaf ilahhe

æ
aatifah:

áÇ:
zaa-i-dah

ãÊÇÆä:
matoof aala ãÈÑÍ

Wa Allahu Alam. It resembles the i'raab of the last sentence of surah Al-Faatihah.

wa alaykum ass salaam

amirah_87
05-24-2006, 12:58 PM
oops can anyone encrypt that .................. :rollseyes:

Mawaddah
05-24-2006, 01:16 PM
^ I dont even know what you wrote Princess, how'm I supposed to help?

amirah_87
05-24-2006, 01:25 PM
you see that funny text that looks like turkish....yeah well can u encrypt it 2 arabic.......the rest next to it is its i'raab

Mawaddah
05-24-2006, 01:57 PM
I know the funny text, but it doesn't look like Turkish lol, but I dont know how to encrypt it sowwie........

Hamba Allah
05-31-2006, 03:51 PM
If Iasked this for over a month or so and nobody has answered it. What does "Ad at tatar" mean?

Noora_z3
05-31-2006, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamba Allah
If Iasked this for over a month or so and nobody has answered it. What does "Ad at tatar" mean?
sorry i read it many times..but i couldnt get it..can u plz type it in Arabic if possibale?

amirah_87
06-01-2006, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamba Allah
ermmmmmm....i dunno !! try writin' it up in arabic text ..maybe that'll be easier

Sohrab
06-20-2006, 11:21 PM

I have a question regarding the pronouns in these ayaat from sura A3raaf.

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ اتَّقَواْ إِذَا مَسَّهُمْ طَائِفٌ مِّنَ الشَّيْطَانِ تَذَكَّرُواْ فَإِذَا هُم مُّبْصِرُونَ

وَإِخْوَانُهُمْ يَمُدُّونَهُمْ فِي الْغَيِّ ثُمَّ لاَ يُقْصِرُونَ

Ikhwaanu-hum = what does this "hum" refer to?

Yamuddoona-hum = what about this "hum"

If the first "hum" in the second ayah refers to shaytaan, why is it plural then. If it refers to "allazeenattaqaw" what would be a good translation of both ayahs....i'm pretty sure it's simple but i'm only learning arabic :embarrass ....pleez someone help :sister: :brother:

amirah_87
06-21-2006, 12:56 PM
ass salaamu alaykum akhee!!

"HUM"... is a dameer lil' gaa'ib ( a pronoun used for the absent)...for a group of males!

hum....is a pronoun meaning "them" or they!! or those

the first "hum"...in the ayat refers back to "إِنَّ الَّذِينَ اتَّقَواْ".....those who fear Allah"

".....Those who fear Allah when a thought of evil from Satan assualts them, bring Allah to rememberance, when lo! THEY (hum) see (aright)...."

HUM in this ayat is made plural..because it refers to إِنَّ الَّذِينَ اتَّقَواْ".....the waaw in at-taqaw...is waaw jamaa'ah!!

And the second ayat :

وَإِخْوَانُهُمْ يَمُدُّونَهُمْ فِي الْغَيِّ ثُمَّ لاَ يُقْصِرُونَ

......."But their brethrens (the evil ones) plunge them deep into error, and never relax (their)".......

here it's talking about their evil brethrens/brothers so ikhwaan has to be attached to a "hum"..because the evil brothers are more than one !!!
so they fi3il yamuddu...which means to plunge..is describing the action of the evil brothers...who are also more than one..so this fi3il has to be atached with the plural pronoun that's used for a group of absent men..which is ....HUM!!

I hope this helps you insha'allah!!

if anyone sees a misktake that i have made please correct!!

wa alaykum ass salaam !!

Sohrab
06-21-2006, 02:26 PM
shukrallake ya ukhti...

just a small question now: hum in the Yamuddoonahum also refers back to "allazeenattaqaw"? Is that rite?

amirah_87
06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
wa iyyaak akhee,

na3am...hum here refers back to alladeenattaqaw...wallahu a3lam!

the ones who fear Allah are being plunged by their evil brothers...

Sohrab
06-21-2006, 02:41 PM
MashAllah, thanks for the help, may Allah reward you inshAllah

amirah_87
06-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Ameen...wa iyyaak akhe..maa fee mushkila.. (no problem)

umm-sulaim
08-01-2006, 07:22 AM
Wow an i3raab thread, just what i was looking for, lets nu7yee this place a little....

Ok i'm gonna do a simple sentence inshaAllah...ya banaat al yaman, you's better start revising lol....

ok: whats the i3raab for...

laa daa3iya lil khawfi?

wassalaam....

aakhirah
08-01-2006, 02:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
whats the i3raab for...

laa daa3iya lil khawfi?

If you're just referring to the i'raab for "daa'iyah" then it's accusative (nasb), i.e. daa'iyata, since preceding it is laa linafyi al-jins. Tayyib?

A.

umm-sulaim
08-01-2006, 05:35 PM
thats correct mashaAllah,

yeah its laa annafiyya annaasibah (lil jins), daa3iyah ism mansuub bi laa, laam harfu jar, khawfi majruur bi laa...

ok next one: "a laysa Allahu bi kaafin 3abdah"

wassalaam.

amirah_87
08-03-2006, 02:03 PM
ass salaamu alaykum,

i'm gonna try to do it inshaAllah!

bismillah..........

a: harf istifhaam , mabniy 3ala fath laa mahalla lahuu min al-i3raab.

laysa: tarfa3 al-ism wa tansib al-khabr! ( not so sure)

Allaahu: lafd al-jalaalah ismuhaa.marfuu3 wa 3alaamtu rafi3ihii ad-damma ad-dhaahirah 3alaa aakhirihii

bi: harf jarr

kaafin: majruur bil harf al-jarr, wal jumlatul jaar wal majruur yarji3 ilaa lafd al-jalaalah...(not so sure bought the last part!)

3abdah: khabr laYSa mansuub wa 3alaamtu nasbihii al-fatha ad-dhaahirah 3alaa aakhirihii

3abd: mudhaaf

wal haa: mudhaafun ilayhi...

so...did i get it right!! :?:?

umm-sulaim
08-03-2006, 02:09 PM
lol..................yyyaaaaaaaaaaayyy, akheeeeran man!!!

thats an excellent answer!! ajabtee wa asabtee barakaAllahu feekee!!!

ok amira next ones yours....

wassalaam!!

amirah_87
08-03-2006, 02:15 PM
ass salaamu alaykum,

Ya Allah did i get that right......wooooooooooooooooooaaaahh!!!! :coolious:

i'm sooo proud of myself wallah...i ain't done that in aaages!!! :D:D:D

hey umm sulaim....if you want to start the thread we were talkin' bout ..hurry up and do it then inshaAllah...or else i'm gonna!! :D

sa aktub al-suaal fee ath-thread tayyib!!

umm-sulaim
08-03-2006, 02:36 PM
tayyib inshaAllah,
yeah start one inshaAllah.................can't wait!!!

i'm all giddy now....lol....nahw is too good!!

yeah its good lol....

wa laqad fagadtu nna7wa wa kullumaa
gultu lahunna nuraaji3u takasalaa

wal'aana akheeeran sa usbi7u
u3ribu albayaana wa ttafheemu

a3nee anna7wu tab3an alladhee
lahaa gawaa3idu wa taareekhu....

lol.......like my poem sis...its about grammer, so hopefully it ain't off-topic,
wassalaam

amirah_87
08-03-2006, 02:37 PM
assalaamu alaykum'

i'll do the thread inshaAllah...nice poem .;D

hey maa dhaa usammiyhuu...:?

umm-sulaim
08-03-2006, 03:25 PM
ummm mumkin tusammeenaahu bi: al-i3raab li man yu7ibb anna7w, fee ingleezi tab3an...

aw...i3rib hadhaa........

something like that inshaAllah....

wassalaam.

amirah_87
08-03-2006, 03:30 PM
ass salaamu alaykum...

hmmm..

aw mumkin: the i3raab.nahw game or quiz???

:p

umm-sulaim
08-04-2006, 09:42 AM
yes ajal...lol, late jawaab sorry...

see you there lol....

wassalaam

Sohrab
08-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Why is ni3ma singular in ayah: wa in ta3udduu ni3matallahe la thu7soohaa

shouldn't it be a plural? as "shaakiral li an3umih"?

amirah_87
08-09-2006, 02:41 PM
as salaamu alaykum,

that's a good question...Allahu a3lam..
i guess you have to know 3ilm al-balgah for that...
like once i asked my teacher hafidhallah: why does it say in the Quraan!! wa nazalnaa min as-samaa'a ..(like plural..we ) and in other places..wa rafa3naa ...she said it has to do with the balaagha or sumthing!!...

i dunno maybe the other sisters have an answer inshaAllah

Mawaddah
08-09-2006, 02:45 PM
^ Yup it does have to do with Balaagha, like for emphasis :happy:

I see you got the siggy now PRincess, so I'll change it back now :giggling:

:thankyou:

Sohrab
08-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Thank you very much both of you for the kind replies, JazakumAllahu a7sanal Jazaa.

amirah_87
08-09-2006, 02:53 PM
as salamu alaykum,

wa iyyaaka akhee

na3am..that's what i thought..thanx for claryifying...

maw..taquuleen sabrun jameel ilayyah ya bint!! :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.