/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dr Zaki Badawi, UK’s most influential cleric, dies at 83

sonz
01-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Doctor Zaki Badawi, one of UK’s most respected Muslim leaders, died in London on Tuesday at age 83, the Muslim college said.

Egyptian-born Badawi, regarded by his supporters as the unofficial “Grand Mufti” of Britain, chaired the Council of Mosques and Imams, founded the Muslim College in London and had been an imam of the London Central Mosque.

A spokeswoman for the Muslim College, where Dr Badawi was the principal, said that he died at the Islamic Finance Summit in London.

"He was at a conference at the time, he collapsed, an ambulance came and took him to hospital," she said, adding that his funeral would take place next Friday.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair paid tribute to Dr Badawi Tuesday night at the launch of the Muslim-Christian Forum at London's Lambeth Palace. He said that he was a "wonderful mixture of the spiritual and the practical" who dedicated his life to the service of his religion.

Dr Badawi preached harmony between different faiths, and joined with other religious leaders in a message of unity after the July 7 London bombings.

"He was a scholar with an international reputation and a pioneer in the area of inter-faith relations, " Blair's spokesman said.

Heir to the throne Prince Charles said: "The sudden loss of Zaki Badawi is a devastating blow to this country and to me personally.

"His brand of wisdom, scholarship, far-sightedness and above all humour has ensured that Zaki played an extraordinarily important role in the life of this country and amongst the Muslim community."

Shami Chakrabarti, the head of human rights group Liberty, said: "People of all faiths, as well as those without faith, will mourn the loss of Dr Badawi, who provided unique leadership in a world gone mad."

Sir Iqbal Sacranie, general secretary of the main Muslim Council of Britain umbrella group, said Badawi's death constituted a major loss for British Muslims.

"We pray that God almighty grants him a place in his paradise with the martyrs, the prophets and the righteous," he added.

Britain's Chief Rabbi Sir Jonathan Sacks said Dr Badawi was "the face and voice of Islamic dignity and tolerance in Britain. He was a man of conscience and courage and I cherished his friendship."

And the leader of the world's Anglicans, Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams, described Dr Badawi as a "uniquely effective interpreter of Islam" whose loss was a great shock to those who worked with him in interfaith dialogue.

Source: AFP

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
01-25-2006, 02:28 PM
Greetings sonz and thank you for your latest news,

Tributes from people of many faiths shows the mark of a man whose influnence went beyond Islam for his work in interfaith relations, the world needs more like him, A sad loss may he rest in peace.

In the spirit of seeking greater interfaith relations

Eric

mizan_aliashraf
01-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Salam
Allah have mercy upon him. Although i did not compeletely agree with some of his opinions, he was more knowledgeable than me.
Dr Ahmad al-Dubayan gave a speech yesterday about him and Masha Allah it was very moving.
Wassalam

afzalaung
01-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Innalillahi wainnalillahi rajioon.
in spirit of islamic unity..and respect for the dead..i would not criticize the man.
but i've to say...its not fitting for an imam to ask the muslimahs to take off their crown(hijaab) under any circumstances...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.