PDA

View Full Version : UK Study Backs Single-sex Classes

Pure
01-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Mirror.co.uk

30 May 2005
ALL-BOY LESSONS BOOST RESULTS
By Stephen Moyes

BOYS and girls should be taught separately to beat the " macho, laddish" culture that stops boys learning, say researchers.

They found teaching boys and girls separately for some subjects helped boys concentrate on their lessons and score better exam grades.

They said: "Many girls and boys feel more at ease in such classes, feel more able to interact with learning and to show real interest without inhibition, and often achieve more highly as a result."

Cambridge University researchers Mike Younger and Molly Warrington, who carried out the four-year project for the Government in 50 schools, said listening to the children's opinion and looking at their academic records made the evidence "persuasive".

The Department for Education ordered the research in an attempt to close the continuing gap between girls and boys.

Every year, girls outperform boys at GCSE and in primary school tests, with few signs that the gap is narrowing.

In 2003, around 10 per cent more girls than boys gained five or more A* to C GCSE grades. More than six per cent of boys leave school with no GCSEs.

David Miliband, then Schools Minister, last year backed the idea of single sex classes.

The Education Department said yesterday a range of policies were in place to deal with the problem.

It added: "We want schools to learn from the best of both single sex and co-education."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tasneem
01-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Yeah this is true

Some guyz cant focus when girlz are in class

I think single-Sex classes are better

I was going to go to a All-Girlz school

But my Ex-Friendz said that they heard gay ppl.go to the school i was
going to go to soooo...MashAllah

SaLaMz

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.