/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts allows girls to ‘fight without fear’

swanlake
01-27-2006, 01:00 PM
:sl:

Martial arts allows girls to ‘fight without fear’

By Ahmed J Versi

Rani Padamsee looks like she could be any other middle-aged Bangladeshi mother-of-two. She is slight, just over five feet, and dressed in traditional Bengali garb. Soft-spoken and characteristically feminine in manner, it is hard to believe that this understated woman is among the highest-ranking martial art competitors in the world.
Yet despite holding the prestigious title of Grandmaster, or Shihan, in the karate art form of Karatedo, and being one of just three Six-Dan black belt female grandmasters in the world, Rina Padamsee is keen to stress that training in martial arts does not necessarily make a person aggressive - but rather, supremely self-confident and focused.
“I have had students who were clumsy and lacked self-esteem, who changed into strong individuals both physically and mentally within days,” Rani told The Muslim News on a recent trip to London.
“Just about anyone who has the desire can learn the martial arts. Even if you are an overweight middle-aged person, karate training can be very beneficial for your health and the change can be seen in matter of days,” she adds.
“Karatedo is not only about strength. It is about experience, technique, timing and focus. It empowers a person to defend oneself against violence spontaneously without any fear.
“A skilful karateka can fight against multiple opponents,” she explains.
A true pioneer of the sport in Bangladesh, Rani has been teaching at the celebrated Bengal School of Shotokan in Gulshan over the last 15 years.
Originally from the south-western town of Khulna, Rani took an interest in martial arts from an early age despite her parents initial objections.
“Only hoodlums and gangsters learn karate,” she recalls them telling her when she expressed an interest in the sport. “My mother was vehemently opposed to it as she feared that I would break my nose or teeth and lose my beauty. Initially, my husband also did not feel comfortable with the idea. However, by a bit of sheer persistence I overcame all objections.”
But it was her elder brother, Hafiur Rahman, a tri-athlete and boxer, who proved to her heaviest influence. “His sporting prowess inspired me tremendously,” she says.
In 1981, Rani began Taekwondo training, a Korean martial arts form, under American, Erman Harris, soon attaining a red belt. Later she trained in the Japanese art form of karatedo, which translates literally into ‘empty hands’. Of the four most prominent forms of karatedo, her favourite, she says, is Shotokan.
“Shotokan is the most popular form of karatedo in the world. Gichin Funakushi, a legendary figure in the history of empty-handed fighting arts, is known as the father of the system. I make it a point never to put down other arts. But I love Shotokan and believe it is an excellent fighting art for everyone.”
Even her two children, Saud and Aisha, have become skilled karatedo practitioners. Saud recently earned a black belt, and Aisha was awarded a trophy in the Junior World Championships held in Japan in 2000.
The intense nature of the sport has also helped Rani remain deeply spiritual. “Since my childhood I have always been religious but I started wearing the hijab comparatively later. I believe Islam imbues a person with humane values,” she says.
Being an avid follower of her faith, however, has come with challenges. During the Asian Karatedo Federation Championships in the Philippines in 1995, Rani was told she would not be allowed to participate in the competition wearing the hijab.
After filing a complaint of discrimination, she was invited to explain how the hijab would not adversely affect the art. “The initial refusal was because there was nothing in the rule book on wearing the head scarf,” she explains. The ruling was later overturned and she was able to participate. “The Grandmasters in the world of karatedo are very understanding people,” she says. “I also insisted in exams that I would not do kumite with men and they accepted it. I never bow down to anyone except Allah.”
Since 1990, Rani has participated in competitions in the Philippines, Australia, Macau, Thailand and Japan. She is also a keen golfer, being the only female member of the prestigious Golf Federation in Bangladesh and the winner of the Gold trophy in the Kurmitola Gulf Club in the seventh Bangladesh Games.
Most recently, she has extended her interests to fashion designing, creating sports attire for Muslim athletes. “I would love to travel and teach Muslim women around the world,” she says. “Learning martial arts give girls self-confidence and a better discipline in life, as well as improved health and a feeling of well being.”
http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/paper/in...p?article=2260

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mahdisoldier19
01-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Salam Alaikam

MashAllah, but i dont think karate could take on Kung fu as karate developed from kung fu :P!!!

Tilmeez
01-28-2006, 09:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by swanlake

“Learning martial arts give girls self-confidence and a better discipline in life, as well as improved health and a feeling of well being.”
good read, Mashallah.
As a Martial artist I know two things:
1. Girls do not need to learn Martial arts to Fight without fear. ;D they just need to oil their tounge and have ability to shade tears without any reason and tune their throt to maximum volume:giggling: :grumbling

2. martial arts for necessary for everyone male or female for discipline, selfconfidence and better health.:rant:

Tanzil Ahmed
01-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Well said tilmeez

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.