/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does this english word mean?

Umm Safiya
01-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Assalâmu 'alaykum..

My english isn't perfect, so there is alot of words I don't know, but I can't find the translation for them..
So, if I ask what a word means, can you try to explain it to me, in very 'small' words, so a little kid would understand it.. Jazak Allâhu khayr..

What does i.e. mean? Like, when you write something, al-Muttaqûn (i.e. ppl with taqwa) etc..

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
01-28-2006, 02:08 PM
i.e. means 'in other words'. It shows what exactly you mean when you use a term - 'al-Muttaqûn (i.e. ppl with taqwa)' So the Al-Muttaqun is another name for the people with Taqwa :)

Umm Safiya
01-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Ahaaaa, okay, now I understand.. Barak Allâhu fik.. I always knew why it was written, but I never understood what it meant.. But now I do, yay.. Jazak Allâhu khayr.. :D

Z
01-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Salaam.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;...d=6&sbid=lc07a

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umm Safiya
01-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Oh thank you sooo much.. :D Barak Allâhu fik akhee! :D

czgibson
01-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Greetings,

Further to the earlier answer, 'i.e.' is an abbreviation for a Latin phrase, 'id est', meaning 'that is'.

A similar one is 'e.g.', short for 'exempli gratis', which literally means 'free example', but can be understood to mean 'for example'.

If you're not sure about the meaning of any English word, www.dictionary.com is a good place to look.

Peace

Muezzin
01-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Argh! Upstaged by Zorro and an English teacher.

Story of my life. :p :)

But seriously, thanks for the definition guys.

so0x0xsweet
02-17-2006, 12:29 AM
i.e means in example.. ok if your reading something and it is talking about a concept that most people wouldn't understand they say i.e ... meaning this is what they are talking about.. its kind of a way to dumb it down for people

czgibson
02-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by so0x0xsweet
i.e means in example.. ok if your reading something and it is talking about a concept that most people wouldn't understand they say i.e ... meaning this is what they are talking about.. its kind of a way to dumb it down for people
'I.e.' does not mean 'in example'. You might be thinking of 'e.g.', which roughly means 'for example'. 'I.e.' and 'e.g.' are used in slightly different ways.

Here are some examples to show the difference:

1) "I'm talking about carrots, celery and leeks, i.e. vegetables."

2) "I'm talking about vegetables, e.g. carrots, celery and leeks."

For the literal translations of these two abbreviations, see my post above.

Peace

Umm Safiya
02-17-2006, 10:28 AM
:sl:

What does Sike mean? Some ppl say something to me, then they say SIKE!
:D

M Ilyas
02-17-2006, 11:37 AM
salaam alaykum

Ya Ukhti you referring to Sike or sigh?

Sis_ReNa
02-17-2006, 01:02 PM
sike is slang. like sike ... not really... or i siked you out... fooled you...
salam walakum wr wb

Takumi
02-17-2006, 01:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ms. Amira

maybe they mean "psych"?

afriend2
02-17-2006, 01:08 PM
salaam,

sike, i always thought it meant fooled you ^^^ like sis Rena mentioned. :)

wassalam

Halima
02-17-2006, 01:55 PM

Maybe this word means something else in a different country. For example, in the U.K there are many different words of which i don't know of that are not used here in America. For example...

Wicked

bloody

innit

summit

These words aren't used here in U.S maybe someone can give me the definition of these words? and they spell the word 'color' and 'honor' wrong.

The Ruler
02-17-2006, 02:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
Wicked
this may v two meanings like somtimes it means 'somting evil' or it may mean 'wow dats wondaful' two opposite meanings...i dunno y...:?

innit
innit is the short form of isnt it....i fink :X

The Ruler
02-17-2006, 02:07 PM
i found the following meanings of wicked...

1. very bad: very wrong or very bad

2. dangerous: capable of causing harm to somebody
a knife with a wicked blade

3. distressing: causing discomfort, distress, or disappointment (informal)
I’ve got a wicked headache.

4. disgusting: tasting or smelling disgusting and repulsive

5. mischievous: liking to tease people playfully or cause them slight trouble, but without upsetting them seriously
a wicked sense of humour

6. mean: liking to say very unpleasant things to people
She has a really wicked tongue sometimes!

7. very good: very impressive or very skilful (slang)
What do you think of the car, then? Pretty wicked, eh?

:) :) :) :)

The Ruler
02-17-2006, 02:10 PM
meaning of the word 'bloody'....

1. bloodstained: covered or smeared with blood
Her hands were bloody and shaking.

2. relating to blood: resembling or containing blood

3. involving much bloodshed: involving a great deal of killing and bloodshed

4. swearword: used as a swearword or to add emphasis (slang) (sometimes considered offensive)

5. unfair and inconsiderate: very unfair and inconsiderate (dated informal)

:)

Takumi
02-17-2006, 02:17 PM

These words aren't used here in U.S maybe someone can give me the definition of these words? and they spell the word 'color' and 'honor' wrong.
Well, originally, honor IS spelt HONOUR.

Then the pilgrims came, and thus American English is born. In a precis, that is.

maybe CZgibson can give us his two cents. :p

Rabi'ya
02-17-2006, 02:26 PM

summit

:sl: sis

could be used instead of "something" also - summat :)

hope that clears that inshAllah

Rabi'ya:rose:

afriend2
02-17-2006, 03:00 PM
salaam

wicked = thats really great

bloody = its just cussing, as in really bad

innit = isn't it

summit = something

i use all these words apart from bloody. probably because sometimes my speech is lazy! :happy:

wassalam

czgibson
02-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Takumi
Well, originally, honor IS spelt HONOUR.

Then the pilgrims came, and thus American English is born. In a precis, that is.

maybe CZgibson can give us his two cents. :p
That's basically it, as far as I know. Some of these spellings could have something to do with Noah Webster, the 19th century American dictionary compiler.

There are loads of differences between American English and British English. Here are the main spelling differences:

http://www.askoxford.com/betterwriting/us/?view=uk

Incidentally, I think "color" is a more sensible way of spelling the word, although I use the British spellings myself, being British.

Here's a huge article covering the many differences in grammar and spelling between the two:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...sh_differences

Of the British words that have been mentioned, people have given good definitions for all of them. There's a bit more to say about "innit", though. As has been said, this word is short for "isn't it", and is used in conversational slang, in sentences such as:

"The weather's rubbish today, innit?"

Recently, though, young people (particularly in London) have started using "innit" in sentences where "isn't it" would not be grammatically appropriate. It's supposed to have the effect of emphasis, or helping to carry the conversation along. Here's an example:

"I'm going to the shops today, innit."

Again, it's slang, although this usage is much newer. I once heard a student at my school saying the following to another English teacher:

"Ah, Miss, I really needed your help in that exam, innit."

Sadly, he was probably right...

Peace

so0x0xsweet
02-17-2006, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ms. Amira

sike means they are joking or playing around.. like if someone came up to you and said.. i dont kno.. your dad just was in a car accident then was like SIKE.. thats means they were jus kiddin..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.