/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Copying and pasting articles

Far7an
04-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Assalamu alaikum

I hope you are all in the best state of Health and Imaan

I have noticed alot of people usually copy and paste articles into the forum. I think this is a really good idea, and i encourage them to do so. However, most of these articles do tend to be really long subhnallah. I thought I would just make the suggestion that maybe you could copy parts of it, everyday. This would make it easier for people to read it. As it is really difficult reading some articles which tend to be up to 10-20 pages long. Especially when reading from monitor.

I hope my brothers and sisters take this into consideration. Once again my aim is not to discourage users from pasting articles in here, on the contrary I am merely suggestion a more constructive method of implementing this.

Barakallahu feekum

Wasalamu alaikum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-02-2005, 01:26 AM
:w:
I just did that brother, and now i realize the sense in what u r saying. Inshallah ill follow ur advice henceforth :thumbs_up

Uthman
04-02-2005, 02:33 PM
:sl:

How about providing a link instead which magically transports you to the article's house? Hows that, eh? ;) Actually, it is still better to see the articles on the forum. And blah what was the point in me even posting.

:w:

Far7an
05-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Assalamu 'alaikum

I thought I would add this InshaAllah.

It is obvious alot of members are copying and posting articles, there is nothing wrong with this and may Allah reward you for sharing it. However it would be good if you could share your thoughts regarding that topic also InshaAllah, this will encourage debates between members. :)

Barakallah feek

Wasalamu 'alaikum

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snipeaac
05-10-2005, 04:37 PM
On our forum we paste the complete article as a form of resource. What we do on some occations is provide points or summaries. What we also like to do, and i suggest you guys do it here is format your posts.

Quran: Bolded
Hadeeth: Italicized
Sayings: Italicized
titles: bolded
subtitles: bolded and italicized

also add paragraph format and colour coordinated

this makes it much easier to read

Far7an
05-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Assalamu alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Jazakallah khair for those suggestions akhee :)

jaylen
05-11-2005, 11:28 AM
ill keep that in mind, thank you. where are you from??? sorry i dont really know anyone here. im kinda lost

salam brother

Ummu Sufyaan
12-15-2006, 03:09 AM
:sl: brothers and sisters.
I don't intend on sounding rude or anything, but to all those who post up long articles, i mean the ones that go on for more than one post, or even lengthy ones in general, can u please post up a section a day, or something similar like that. maybe it;s just me, but inshallah, that way readers that have a short attention span (like me) will remain interested and motivated to read them.
just a suggestion.
jazakallahu khair.
no offence intended.

Darkseid
12-22-2006, 08:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
:sl: brothers and sisters.
I don't intend on sounding rude or anything, but to all those who post up long articles, i mean the ones that go on for more than one post, or even lengthy ones in general, can u please post up a section a day, or something similar like that. maybe it;s just me, but inshallah, that way readers that have a short attention span (like me) will remain interested and motivated to read them.
just a suggestion.
jazakallahu khair.
no offence intended.
You could also insist that they divide their post out into sections or to make a general summary in the top part of the post that way those like yourself can just read the few lines to get a general idea and not have to waste an hour or so to read the whole issue.

BlissfullyJaded
12-22-2006, 08:01 PM

*Threads Merged*

Agreed with has been said. :thumbs_up

syilla
12-23-2006, 05:30 AM
oooppsss....

i think there is an arrow hitting me!

anyway....jazakallah khayr for the reminder.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-23-2006, 05:32 AM
Thats a good idea :D
Jazak Allah Khair for bringing it up :)

lolwatever
12-23-2006, 05:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
Assalamu alaikum

I hope you are all in the best state of Health and Imaan

I have noticed alot of people usually copy and paste articles into the forum. I think this is a really good idea, and i encourage them to do so. However, most of these articles do tend to be really long subhnallah. I thought I would just make the suggestion that maybe you could copy parts of it, everyday. This would make it easier for people to read it. As it is really difficult reading some articles which tend to be up to 10-20 pages long. Especially when reading from monitor.

I hope my brothers and sisters take this into consideration. Once again my aim is not to discourage users from pasting articles in here, on the contrary I am merely suggestion a more constructive method of implementing this.

Barakallahu feekum

Wasalamu alaikum

i totally agree... and lol suggestion to mods to not merge posts that are broken up into smaller pieces for sake of readability! (someone dunnit 2me long logn ago when i split my post into smaller chunks)

tc :w:

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-23-2006, 09:37 PM
sumtymes it getz soooooo borin 2 read :-\ nah it getz borin all da time!

Kittygyal
12-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Asslamualikum
humm but tis better because reading time is good, reading practise :D, lol nah think it's good with Site && maybe a bit of detail
Ma'assalama

aby5y
12-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Salams...

Nice suggestions bruv.

Jazak-Allah

akulion
12-28-2006, 04:54 PM
walkikum salam

Copying and pasting is actually quite annoying when it comes to debates or actual discussions.

As for reading an article as someone already stated a link should be sufficient maybe with a small paragraph from the article.

Since we do have to realize that traffic is pretty much the life blood of any website. And to take their articles without permission and posting them on other sites is actuall intellectual theft. Because someone has obiviously spent a large part of their time and effort compiling an article and writing it.

So it is actually morally wrong.
The exception to this would of course be fatwas which could be posted up to prove a point in a debate.

just my 2 cents

aku

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-28-2006, 11:01 PM
long articles.. :-\ scare me.. :offended:

snakelegs
12-29-2006, 03:10 AM
i think it's a good idea to paste the first paragraph or 2 and then the link if a person wants to read further.
i agree - long = tedious.
there are often articles (esp. about islam) that i would find interesting if they weren't sooooo long.

glo
12-29-2006, 09:55 AM
I agree with the previous posters.

To be honest, I tend not to read copy-and-paste jobs ... so I am probably missing out on a lot of useful information! :-[

If at all possible, I prefer to read posts in people's own wording - it's just much more akin to having a 'real' face-to-face conversation.
I think sometimes people fear that they may something that isn't 100% according to Islamic teachings ... and therefore prefer to use Q&A stuff from Islamic sites rather than their own words.

For me it is always much more interesting to hear how people apply their faith personally in their own lives, rather than listen to some scholarly teachings.
But that's just me ...

Peace

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-29-2006, 02:18 PM
lol me2 at tymes.. :-\ ^ short and sweet.. datz hw it shud b :D

*love4isl@m*
01-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Thnx 4 da suggestions bro & sis's!:)

*charisma*
02-12-2007, 02:48 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

I don't think this was mentioned before and I'm sorry if it's totally off topic, but I thought its best that when we create threads we take in account the name of the title and spell it correctly (especially those pertaining to help spread dawah or knowledge) as it would make the searching facility much easier.

I know many of us tend to make the title so that it can catch the reader's eyes, which is also important, but then in the future it's really no use when you can't find that same article again. Other times it seems the writer doesn't even take the time to properly write out the title and just puts in whatever. This often misleads us and is a turn off, especially when the article may benefit us a lot.

wa Allahu A'lem.

Fi aman Allah
w'salaam

tomtomsmom
03-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Here is my suggestion...... If you must copy and paste a whole article can you please make the font a bit bigger and maybe put it in bold?? All of those tiny letters start to dance on the screen after a while and I give up reading.....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.