/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Viruses

cleo
01-29-2006, 06:02 PM
I have been attacked two times from computer viruses.. My computer completely wiped out. I lost all my information, thank Allah I had the brains to write all my addresses down, or I probably wouldn't be here..I am absent minded when it comes to remembering hundreds of addresses.
This is just heads up for others, and be sure to have protection installed.
assalamu alaikum:heated:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
01-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Well i have a windows firewall....i don't see the need of an anti virus program.......correct me if i'm wrong

akulion
01-29-2006, 06:23 PM
download a free firewall from zonealarm.com for hacking / worm protection

ut be sure to read all the instructions because setting up firewalls can be a lil tricky

for virsu and further worm protection also download some free anti virus in case u dont have a commercial one

free virus systems include:
panda antivirus
avast ant virus

also u may want to check on download.com and search for free anti virus thre its the largest shareware / freeware site on the net

cleo
01-29-2006, 06:25 PM
The answer to viruses protected by windows firewall is not enough. I have this too. The new virus Zotob and others attach themselves to email, and you send them on to others. They come on messenger by Yahoo. That is how I received my first on. Unknownly to me. They also, (the new ones get in your files, which is Trogens, and they slow up your computer, and eventually eat all your information. There are a lot of evil ones out there, working to destroy the internet, so information can't be passed. I didn't want to bust your bubble, but that is the way it is...There are free programs out there, to download. Protection is important. You can veiw information on www.pcworld.com for good advice for this and other technology...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
afriend
01-29-2006, 06:26 PM
hmmmm....yeah......

I always used to use www.download.com

until i completely destroyed my old system down to the max.......lol

but they may have some non-dodgy/legit software there as well.

but good for me, im a limited user so i can't mess up my computer as i messed up my old 1 by installing things....

akulion
01-29-2006, 06:33 PM
windows firewall is only basic level protection

Plus a firewall is more of an "anti intruder" detection and prevention method

and not an anti virus software

Virus protection has to be obtained throgh antivirus protection softwares

So the best option is to have a good firewall and a good antivirus on ur system

if u are looking to buy one I would highly recommend McAfee Security Suite (with the antivirus and firewall only) since the other additional programs arent reeally important that come with it so u can reduce costs

Why I never recommend Norton is for 3 reasons:
1 - It tries to be extra efficient thus really making a mess of things on ur pc
2 - Its alerts are not very user friendly and quite annoying
3- Norton recognizes many "safe" files as viruses as well despit them not being why? Cos like I said it tries to be EXTRA efficient which is a headache at times

I use to run norton but now I run McAfee cos it runs silently and efficiently and in over 1 year of me using it not once have I had a hack or virus effective against me alhamdolillah :d

afriend
01-29-2006, 06:39 PM
wow........But Mcaffee is really expensive tho........

and I don't want to download it from a third party source

akulion
01-29-2006, 06:46 PM
yea i know mcafee is expensive but its worth the money in my personal opinion

oh by the way additionally people may want to get adware from
http://www.lavasoft.de/default.shtml.en

its free and analyzes ur computer for any potentially "tracking" cookies which cause popups and all sorts of spam to arrive on ur pc...

its not an anti virus or firewall..but its anti-adware lol

so0x0xsweet
02-17-2006, 12:38 AM
thanks for the heads up, i never really got why my dad put all the junk on here..

akulion
02-17-2006, 12:46 AM
and whatever you do dont click -->here

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.