/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim anger at report MP was bugged

Muezzin
02-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Sun Feb 3, 2008 7:45pm GMT

LONDON (Reuters) - Muslim groups reacted with anger on Sunday to claims that an MP had his private conversations with a constituent secretly bugged by Scotland Yard anti-terrorist officers.

They said the allegations could damage relations between the Muslim community and the police.

It is public policy that law agencies cannot eavesdrop on politicians since a bugging scandal involving Harold Wilson's government.

But the Justice Secretary was forced to order an immediate inquiry after allegations in the Sunday Times claimed that electronic listening devices were used to tap two conversations between Sadiq Khan, MP for Tooting, and Babar Ahmad, being held on remand while awaiting deportation to the United States.

Ahmad is accused of running Web sites supporting terrorism and raising funds for Muslim militants in Chechnya and Afghanistan, and with urging Muslims to fight a 'holy war'.

The Muslim Council of Britain called for urgent meetings with the Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, and Straw, to ask for clarification on the "disturbing news".

"Today's revelations are simply appalling and raise a whole range of vital issues to do with confidentiality and how to hold to account the improper behaviour of senior police officers," Dr. Muhammad Abdul Bari, secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said in a statement.

"This kind of behaviour cannot but do immense damage to the level of trust between Muslim communities and the police."

Hizb ut-Tahrir, an organisation Britain threatened to ban after the 2005 attacks on London, said the allegation was indicative of the country's ever increasing draconian security measures.

"Is it any surprise that many Muslims believe Britain is becoming a police state for our community?" it said in a statement.

(Reporting by Avril Ormsby)

Source

On the flipside:

Brown 'knew nothing' of bugging warning

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
02-04-2008, 09:42 AM
i just read this on BBC news, another example of the law bending to spy/find dirt on muslims.

psshh

Ummu Sufyaan
02-04-2008, 09:50 AM
:sl:
Ahmad is accused of running Web sites supporting terrorism and raising funds for Muslim militants in Chechnya and Afghanistan, and with urging Muslims to fight a 'holy war'.
So you guys can send your troops to our lands to 'free' iraq and afghanistan but we cant send our brothers to defend one another, on our lands. :mad: :raging::raging:is it just me, or is anyone else ready to be sick:rolleyes:

Amadeus85
02-04-2008, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=Muezzin;908546]

Hizb ut-Tahrir, an organisation Britain threatened to ban after the 2005 attacks on London, said the allegation was indicative of the country's ever increasing draconian security measures.

This group is banned in many muslim countries i believe but it is still allowed in UK. :hmm: Do they need another London attacks to ban west hating groups like this.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amadeus85
02-04-2008, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=Muezzin;908546]
This group is banned in many muslim countries i believe but it is still allowed in UK. :hmm: Do they need another London attacks to ban west hating groups like this.

minaz
02-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Hizb ut-Tahrir is a joke.

I don't think the full details of the bugging have come to light, especially about the bug. If it was planted on Sidiq Khan or at the place of meeting (i.e. underneath the visiting table- which i believe to be the likliest). Apparently it goes against the "bugging" laws to bug an MP.(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7225871.stm)
I think its ironic how Khan gets bugged whilst others such as Conway and other sleeze bags get away :P

It looks as if the bugging was targeted at Babar, and the conversations he has in private (that are being recorded) would help shed more light on his innocence/guilt.

The_Prince
02-04-2008, 05:31 PM
i bet i am bugged 100% lol cause of my website and stuff....muahahahaha......who cares, im not surprised at all, not ONE IOTA.............

islamirama
02-04-2008, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
i bet i am bugged 100% lol cause of my website and stuff....muahahahaha......who cares, im not surprised at all, not ONE IOTA.............
Everybody is bugged in the US. Didn't you see the news few months back of public finding out bush regime had been spying on public without any permission or warrant.

AvarAllahNoor
02-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Did they bug the Irish MPS when they visited IRA members?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.