PDA

View Full Version : music is haram, what about movies

all4salam
02-06-2008, 03:56 PM
are movies haram?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
truemuslim
02-06-2008, 03:57 PM
if they gots haram stuff in it like drugs, nakedness, u kno that stuff. otherwise..no...

correct me if im wrong someone

IbnAbdulHakim
02-06-2008, 03:58 PM
most movies are quite haram.

but i would watch stuff like blood-diomand, they are serious eye openers, they tell of history and update your mind to be more aware of the present.

blood diomand is.... something everyone needs to see, i hear it still happens...

Cabdullahi
02-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Movies are ok but it depends if ur watchin a movie thats educational or interesting in a non haram way those kind are ok BUT other crappy ones that corrupt ur mind for example movies that have naked women or women are talked about in a disgusting way for example :superbad: those are haram to watch

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
02-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Blood Diamond is brilliant.

It depends on the kind of movie, mostly. If it's a movie with a purpose, meaning, lesson, etc., then it's not that bad. But if it's something full of nudity, swearing, music and dancing, then it's definitely not okay.

Another point to think about is movies being a waste of time, usually...

------
02-06-2008, 04:04 PM
:salamext:

Not again....!

We already have a topic running on this:

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...dia-islam.html

Check this post out:
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...tml#post874169

format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
what you watch makes a world of difference...

Movies

Imam Suhaib Webb on Bollywood (click me)

"You have to correct this culture. This Bollywood, Shahrukh Khan, Shaytaan..all this nonsense is destroying the Pakistani and Indian youth...wallahi. My wife is from Malaysia, I went to Malaysia and now they have Bollywood in Malay. I was riding on a bus in the mountains through Malaysia and the bus driver is watching a movie and driving a bus at 3 o clock in the morning. This is crazy, man..is this your illah?? Why don't you stand in the night and pray or somethin? You have to fight this culture."

"It (romance novels) creates a mentality in you, like Bollywood....I'm like going to start an anti-Bollywood Jamaat..because I'm telling you, I saw a Bollywood movie on that bus..because the screen was right there, and my wife was hitting me, "why are you watchin this?", "screen is right there man ", she can sleep on the bus, I can't, and I wanted to see it..actually you can't watch it very much..because they don't have much clothes on..these Hindu chicks. So I watch the movie, and I watched this movie and honestly, I have become convinced that this is an agent of Shaytaan. I'm telling you, because it builds this false sense of life in you, man...life is a love story. Life is ibaadah. Love will be with your family, when you get married you will find true love with your wife inshallah."

Bollywood Badboyz (click me)

Truth about Bollywood (click me)

Verily! Hearing, Sight, and the heart, all will be Questioned (by Allah) [al-Israa’ 17:36]

Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts). That is purer for them. Verily, Allah is All-Aware of what they do.

How do we reconcile those verses with the television that assaults our eyes with Haram almost every second that it is on? How do we reconcile it?

TV Shows

Shaykh At-Tahhaan once told his students, “It was late at night when our phone rang one day. This Muslimah whispered into the phone, ‘Is this Shaykh At-Tahhaan?’ I said, ‘Yes it is me.’ She kept saying is it really you? And he said, ‘Yes, what is wrong?’ At that she just started sobbing and sobbing into the phone. After some time, she explained, ‘The children’s father bought a TV and video 2 days ago. Tonight I found my young son practicing the Haraam that he saw on his younger sister!’ Then she collapsed sobbing again.”

Everything starts with a look, and big fires start from a little spark

Please use the search facility function in the future.

sur
02-06-2008, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by all4salam
are movies haram?
Both r NOT haraam on their own. It depends on How we use such things.

Whatsthepoint
02-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Virtually every movie's got music, how are muslims supposed to act when there's music in films?

IbnAbdulHakim
02-06-2008, 08:01 PM
^ dont watch it lol

------
02-06-2008, 08:03 PM

^ Jazaak Allaah Khayr for that.

Ibn Al Aqwa
02-06-2008, 08:17 PM
if a movie isnt educational, it means it poinless, therefore a waste of time...therefore avoid them!

WaSalaam...

Whatsthepoint
02-06-2008, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
^ dont watch it lol
the entire movie or just the music part? Virtually all important scenes have some kind of musical background... can't you just turn off the volume?:hmm:

truemuslim
02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
^ yeah lol

there is a 'mute' button on the remote....use it

IbnAbdulHakim
02-06-2008, 08:24 PM
^ lol you know whats funny, if you wanna be a good muslim and watch it its really hard coz eeeeverytime you see a indecent picture you gotta switch off the screen and then switch it back on again thus poissibly missing some story, then when theres music you gotta mute and unmute,

your fat fingers will become skinny due to all the movement

lol i like my fat fingers so i'd rather just not watch the stuff

truemuslim
02-06-2008, 08:26 PM
^ nah its only the bad movies tho... nothing bad in them so thats cool

Ibn Al Aqwa
02-06-2008, 08:41 PM
^well i can only expect they have gone worst...

When i used to watch movies about 2 years ago, just before i stopped watching them, i noticed that all the films had inappropriate scenes in them, back then, i didnt care, but now i regret every moment.

Now i just think of films this way, if, just imagine rasulullaah (SAW) was to visit your house, just imagine this...right, would you hide the TV? Would you watch a film in the presence of rasulullah, would you tell him (SAW) that its cool?

No?

So why do it in the presence of Allaah Almighty?

Islaam and the muslims are above the disgusting methods of "entertainment" of the kaafir. TV is a humiliation for the muslim, (unless its educational ONLY if its educational)

Wa Alaikum Salaam Wa Rehmatullaah

truemuslim
02-06-2008, 08:43 PM
^ no... i mean halal islamic or that type of films.. like the message... if rasulallah cam to my house while i was watching i wud tell him he got his own show spreadin more islam..lol..:w:

Whatsthepoint
02-06-2008, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
^ no... i mean halal islamic or that type of films.. like the message... if rasulallah cam to my house while i was watching i wud tell him he got his own show spreadin more islam..lol..:w:
That movie never actually depicts Muhammad, does it?
I like desert movies of all kinds, I'll watch it.

Here it is. I'll try to find a better evrsion.

truemuslim
02-06-2008, 09:04 PM
no the one i watched is not a cartoon its realistic which makes me able to last more than two minutes while watching it and no they dont show rasulallah... when they are supposed to talk to him they show him as the camera view (looks freaky for a sec) i found some videos on youtube...

here it is from the start but u can probably find the rest of it : http://youtube.com/watch?v=7vEaEcYzW8A

Ummu Sufyaan
02-07-2008, 07:31 AM
^ lol you know whats funny, if you wanna be a good muslim and watch it its really hard coz eeeeverytime you see a indecent picture you gotta switch off the screen and then switch it back on again thus poissibly missing some story, then when theres music you gotta mute and unmute,

your fat fingers will become skinny due to all the movement

lol i like my fat fingers so i'd rather just not watch the stuff
tell me about it. i got sick of doing that, so i tuned out of tv alltogether. you cant even watch the news without stupid music.

format_quote Originally Posted by -Ibn Al Aqwa-
^well i can only expect they have gone worst...

When i used to watch movies about 2 years ago, just before i stopped watching them, i noticed that all the films had inappropriate scenes in them, back then, i didnt care, but now i regret every moment.

Now i just think of films this way, if, just imagine rasulullaah (SAW) was to visit your house, just imagine this...right, would you hide the TV? Would you watch a film in the presence of rasulullah, would you tell him (SAW) that its cool?

No?

So why do it in the presence of Allaah Almighty?

Islaam and the muslims are above the disgusting methods of "entertainment" of the kaafir. TV is a humiliation for the muslim, (unless its educational ONLY if its educational)

Wa Alaikum Salaam Wa Rehmatullaah
:thumbs_up

sevgi
02-07-2008, 08:01 AM
i think im gna be sick...

i think it is time for us to accept the fact that according to such illogical interpretation..everything is haraam...

i cant walk down lee st down in the city coz they play music in the tunnel...

ahhh...i cant buy milk from the grocery store...coz yep..music.

or that place i work...tsk tsk...full of music...

cant watch the news....ahhh...music...

thats what god wants muslims to do...dont see or watch the news, dont work, dont travel, buy a cow and make ur own milk.

why dont we ride on camels too? the sound of cars is quite musical to me...

:rolleyes:

Ummu Sufyaan
02-07-2008, 08:14 AM
:sl:
you do that.

going to the grocery store is a neccesity, as for most of the things you mentioned!

why dont we ride on camels too?
yeah, why not! camels are cool!

Cabdullahi
02-07-2008, 08:18 AM
u ppl can ride on camels but im having a horse!!

sevgi
02-07-2008, 08:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11

you do that.

going to the grocery store is a neccesity, as for most of the things you mentioned!

edit

yeah, why not! camels are cool!
whooahh..relax sis...why u steaming at me for???

i dont have a problem with u...everyone can go by living however they like...it really doesnt phase me...

i have an issue with us muslims (including myself) sticking to little things like this, and pulling ourselves backwards rather than urging forward in this disgusting world.

why dont we just ignore music for a while, struggle against it..and get to the bloody top...then we wont have an issue with music...

if ur gna live in a western country...u have to deal with it...in ways which do not restrict u from functioning as a normal person in society...

as u said...most of the things i pointed out are necessary things...so why dont we admit to the fact that in our context, it is necessary for us to listen to music and just get the hell over it..and struggle thru it...rather than stick our heads in the sand...

as for the camel thing....that was totally rhetorical...im sorry that you would want to pick a fight with me...not very nice if u ask me...:offended:

Ummu Sufyaan
02-07-2008, 08:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
whooahh..relax sis...why u steaming at me for???

i dont have a problem with u...everyone can go by living however they like...it really doesnt phase me...

i have an issue with us muslims (including myself) sticking to little things like this, and pulling ourselves backwards rather than urging forward in this disgusting world.

why dont we just ignore music for a while, struggle against it..and get to the bloody top...then we wont have an issue with music...

if ur gna live in a western country...u have to deal with it...in ways which do not restrict u from functioning as a normal person in society...

as u said...most of the things i pointed out are necessary things...so why dont we admit to the fact that in our context, it is necessary for us to listen to music and just get the hell over it..and struggle thru it...rather than stick our heads in the sand...

as for the camel thing....that was totally rhetorical...im sorry that you would want to pick a fight with me...not very nice if u ask me...:offended:
woah! i thought you were havin a go at me! :hiding:thats why i got...well angry. unfortunatley anger management jut anit in me blood :hiding:
but watching movies anit anecessity, come on man. :sunny:

Cabdullahi
02-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Western countries and say for example the middle east there is not much of difference in terms music and other disgusting stuff,in the UK u see dumb naked women u go to dubai u see the same old dumb naked women

sevgi
02-07-2008, 08:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
woah! i thought you were havin a go at me! thats why i got...well angry.
:hiding:
no...im sorry i gave u that implication...

if i was having a go at u..which i wouldnt...i would have quoted or indicated with a ^ or something...which is how it goes round here...

we all have our opinions..and i am entitled to mine...

ive fought abt music a lot round here...never ever got satisfactory or valid justification for 'good music' being haraam...i mean...i dont wana fight with my fellow muslims abt how 'classical music' is haraam...ive done that a lot...and i think this issue is restricting muslims from exploring all realms of civilisation, and social enhancement...

but i dont care...i know my standards and my boundaries....god knows me...

sevgi
02-07-2008, 08:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmedjunior
Western countries and say for example the middle east there is not much of difference in terms music and other disgusting stuff,in the UK u see dumb naked women u go to dubai u see the same old dumb naked women
and we shud make efforts to steer clear...but when smething has engulfed the world...u cant hide from it..u have to work with or around it..and ppl have their own ways of doing this...

but we shud never forget that muslims shud be as 'normal' and appear as normal as others to others....

as long as we are viewed as outcasts..we will be labeled terrorists and everything else under the sun...

anyway..ive said enuf to possibly be labeled a heretic...

someone pull out the 'adab stick'...

------
02-07-2008, 08:59 AM

Just try ur best to avoid what you can to your ability. Just my 2 cents.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-07-2008, 09:53 AM

i think it is time for us to accept the fact that according to such illogical interpretation..everything is haraam...

i cant walk down lee st down in the city coz they play music in the tunnel...

ahhh...i cant buy milk from the grocery store...coz yep..music.

or that place i work...tsk tsk...full of music...

cant watch the news....ahhh...music...

thats what god wants muslims to do...dont see or watch the news, dont work, dont travel, buy a cow and make ur own milk.

why dont we ride on camels too? the sound of cars is quite musical to me...

:rolleyes:

remember the times the sahabi's walked past music and put their hands in the ears,
remember the teachings of the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam when he said the believers should keep the gaze down, second look is haram.
remember the teachings that ad-dunya sijnul mu'min so glad tiding to the strangers.

be a stranger, yeah most thing in this corruption infested dunya is haram, we holding onto our emaan is like holding onto burning coal, walking around we gotta be careful of stepping on all the millions of thorns.

so you hear music underground or in shops?! walk out asap or cover your ears (i normally do), you hear music on the news? mute it till the important stuff comes (i normally do).

and remember, movies etc is voluntary not necessary <--- the biggest factor, its entertainment, the ascetic wouldnt go there but then again not everyone has to be an ascetic.

may Allaah guide everyone

------
02-07-2008, 09:56 AM

ascetic
Come again? *confused*

IbnAbdulHakim
02-07-2008, 09:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

Come again? *confused*
someone who practisde az-zuhd a lot, ie not a dunya person, someone who dont indulge in dunya much at all

Ummu Sufyaan
02-07-2008, 09:57 AM

remember the times the sahabi's walked past music and put their hands in the ears,
remember the teachings of the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam when he said the believers should keep the gaze down, second look is haram.
remember the teachings that ad-dunya sijnul mu'min so glad tiding to the strangers.

be a stranger, yeah most thing in this corruption infested dunya is haram, we holding onto our emaan is like holding onto burning coal, walking around we gotta be careful of stepping on all the millions of thorns.

so you hear music underground or in shops?! walk out asap or cover your ears (i normally do), you hear music on the news? mute it till the important stuff comes (i normally do).

and remember, movies etc is voluntary not necessary <--- the biggest factor, its entertainment, the ascetic wouldnt go there but then again not everyone has to be an ascetic.
:thumbs_up
may Allaah guide everyone
ameen

sevgi
02-07-2008, 10:50 AM
^^^

yes yes bro..i know...

im nt dissing all that...perhaps u need to read between the lines of my posts...i dno..bt were sayn the same thing in escence...

ameen..may Allah really truly guide everyone....

IbnAbdulHakim
02-07-2008, 10:52 AM
^ lol i understand sis, lol @ adhaab stick, i normally kept that for noname

assalamu alaikum

sevgi
02-07-2008, 11:06 AM
^ lol i understand sis, lol @ adhaab stick, i normally kept that for noname

assalamu alaikum
adab stick...i think i gt that from u..ye...

i want noname bak...

bt bak to haram movies now...:)

------
02-07-2008, 11:19 AM

I think we should completely stop movies, personally, because I for one don't see no benefits in them.

jzcasejz
02-07-2008, 11:23 AM
i want noname bak...
Yeah...

truemuslim
02-07-2008, 06:57 PM
u benifet from 'the message'

------
02-07-2008, 06:58 PM

You would benefit even more by reading the Prophet SAW's Seerah.

And truemuslim sis, argue it out all you want, but you know whats right in the end.

snakelegs
02-08-2008, 12:39 AM
i don't see islam as an ascetic religion at all! i don't think it encourages you to withdraw from the world, but to walk through it and keep your balance and your imaan intact. it's relatively easy to be a saint in a cave.
btw, i wouldn't think music in movies would matter that much - after all, the intent is not to listen to the music, but to watch the information. most movies are crap, but there are many that are not only educational, but cause you to appreciate God's creation more. i saw one the other night from the BBC about the lives of insects - it was amazing! it had some music in it.

i also miss noname. :(

*Marwah
02-08-2008, 06:10 PM
i dont watch anything...:uhwhat
i know that all movies have music couse i USE to watch it but no more....
Sallam

truemuslim
02-08-2008, 07:47 PM
hey all im sayin is that 'the message' is islamic and nothing bad its about rasulallahs message ..nothing to argue with that :w:

Skillganon
02-12-2008, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by all4salam
are movies haram?
One note should be clear is when we say music is haraam we mean musical instrument.

As for Nasheed. Than that is ok. We have plenty of thread on Muslic you can check it out for more in-depth explanation.

As for Movies. Well it would be if it involve Hsraam stuff.

------
02-12-2008, 07:58 PM

^ Jazaak Allaah Khayr, excellently put.

rabarbara2008
02-19-2008, 10:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
As for Movies. Well it would be if it involve Hsraam stuff.

exactly what I think :thumbs_up

Sami
02-19-2008, 01:16 PM
theres nothing wrong with the "movies" themselves,as long as they dont show haram stuff which is 99.9&#37;impossible!well scientific documentaries are really nice and things like that

thirdwatch512
02-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Hmm, I thought I had asked a question here, but perhaps I did on another forum.

Anyways, what if a woman's awrah(like her hair) is showing? Is it then haram?

I am not a Muslim, nor do I ever plan on becoming a Muslim.. But let me say, it would be most hard to have to give up Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals!!

teen-omar
05-04-2008, 02:38 PM
i myself am not sure about her showing her hair, but it's always best to be careful than sorry
it's hard to stop watching TV, but it is the best thing to do, since it combines many haraam things in one e.g. music, nudity etc.
So it's always best to not get close to the TV
wallahu a3lam

Amat Allah
05-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Asalamo Alikom

If you are realy love your Lord more than anything in this world you would give up everything for his sake even watching TV or at least Movies...

and now you can find all the informations about anything you want in the internet without any music and in a beautiful way...

may Allah guide us all to the right path and reward us with Al Jannah
Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

Muhammad
05-05-2008, 11:07 AM

Such questions should be directed towards a knowledgeable person, because the average Muslim is not able to give a religious verdict. We tend to have people speaking from mere opinion otherwise.

Thread Closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.