/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dinner invitations and drinking guests

MaiCarInMtl
02-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Hello everyone,

I would like to know your opinion on my situation and I would also like people to explain somethign to me. Please read on...

My birthday is coming up in the next few weeks and I have planned to invite some friends and family to join me at my favorite, family-owned Indian restaurant. Some of my guests are muslim while others are not. I do not drink any alcohol, but my family members do. I was told by someone that I shouldn't invite my more "conservative" muslim friend if some people may be drinking as she "would be insulted".

I don't understand why someone would be insulted as no one will be telling anyone else to drink, I'm not even sure anyone will drink alcohol (as I am not sure the restaurant even offers alcohol). Can someone explain to me why someone might perhaps feel insulted? I see it as "it's their choice to drink, it has nothing to do with me".

Also, I am highly considering including the words "alcohol-free dinner" on the invitations to simply avoid any possible problems (even though my mother might not be too thrilled)... I guess my family will just have to get used to it as my wedding (whenever that time will come) will be alcohol-free.

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

Salam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.