/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Essay For University

Umar001
02-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Salam Alaykum,

A university wants me to write an essay, 1,500 words, the title being:

Is Christianity a religion of peace? If so, why has it had such a bloody past?

Anyone have any books I could refer to, books on the history of Christianity which are really good or online sources?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
02-09-2008, 12:40 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Al Habeshi; I hope you are able to bring about a little peace through your project.

Is Christianity a religion of peace?
Beyond a doubt the teachings in the Bible can lead you to an inner peace that surpasses all understanding.
If so, why has it had such a bloody past?
There have always been too many humans in Christianity, we are all right and we all want to do things our own way, and there has been a lack of brotherly love.

In the spirit of praying for peace on Earth

Eric

Umar001
02-13-2008, 09:02 PM
I've kinda started, thanks for the advice Eric.

czgibson
02-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Greetings,

I think the answer to the two questions are "Largely, yes, although there is that verse about 'I come not to bring peace, but a sword'" and "Because humans were involved!"

Edward Gibbon's 'Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire' is an excellent source on the history of early Christianity. Chapters 15 and 16 are especially worth looking at. Be advised, though, that it was written in the 18th century, so some of it has been superseded by modern scholarship. Not much, though.

The text is available online here.

For a more modern text, try Paul Johnson's 'History of Christianity'.

The Deist Gibbon writes in an evenhanded yet subtly critical manner, while Johnson writes as a practising Roman Catholic.

All the best with the essay. :)

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
02-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the books.

Muezzin
02-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Probably obvious general note for essays like this - always show both sides of the argument in as much depth as possible (research). Then come to a conclusion taking into account everything you've talked about. Then you'll be able to sit back and say, 'Yeah. First class, here I come'.

minaz
02-14-2008, 01:38 PM
One of my second year degree modules was "Religion in America:1600-2000" One brilliant source upon Christianity I used and do refer back to time to time is-
P. Allitt, ed. Major problems in American religious history, (Boston, 2000). Its a good read and contains primary sources as well as many essays and contains views from different aspects of Christianity-pro-communism to that of those who beleive the bible defends slavery!

You should be able to access academic journal sites such as Jstor too.

1,500 words is far too short to explore the answers. So you may have to just name drop or briefly state elements such as the Reformation, colonialism, wars etc.

Trumble
02-15-2008, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by minaz
1,500 words is far too short to explore the answers.
Yup, certainly for that question. 1,500 word essays usually have fairly specific objectives, namely to show that you are able to select the most relevant material from large quantities of it, and to demonstrate that you both understand it and can summarize it coherently. Whatever sources you find concentrate on the broad picture with an odd illustrative example - don't get bogged down in anything too detailed.

Umar001
02-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Ok, update, I have chosen to take the advice and not go into too much detail.

I have opted to speak about the different possible interpretations, and emphesised the view of Jesus' life and teachings could be seen as being due to social position or his personal mission.

Have also provided little examples of the different interpretations from history.

Now, all I gotta do is type it from my head and send it off on friday.

Argh.

rabarbara2008
02-29-2008, 11:52 AM
So you're sending it today then?
Good luck, Allah ya3wnek.
InshAllah you will have a good grade.
Please let us know the result :-)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.