/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Call for ban on audio device that targets young ears

Muezzin
02-12-2008, 12:13 PM
The children's commissioner today called for a ban on a controversial audio device which disperses gangs of teenagers, saying it demonises young people and infringes their human rights.

Al Aynsley-Green joined forces with civil liberties campaigners to raise concerns over whether using the Mosquito device is legal and ethical.

The gadget emits a high-pitched sound that only young people under the age of 20 can hear. The ability to pick up very high frequencies declines after this age.

The Mosquito is increasingly being adopted by shopkeepers, local councils and even private homeowners to disperse gangs of young people. Around 3,500 of the devices are believed to be in use in the UK.

However, Aynsley-Green, who was appointed by the government to champion children's rights, says the devices can penalise innocent children.

"These devices are indiscriminate and target all children and young people, including babies, regardless of whether they are behaving or misbehaving," he said.

"The use of measures such as these is simply demonising children and young people, creating a dangerous and widening divide between the young and the old."

Civil rights campaigners say there would be public uproar if the Mosquito was used against other groups in society.

Shami Chakrabarti, director of Liberty, said: "Imagine the outcry if a device was introduced that caused blanket discomfort to people of one race or gender, rather than to our kids."

Aynsley-Green says he is planning to write to all MPs and local authorities who are using the Mosquito to highlight his concerns. As reported in the Observer, it is believed he is prepared to bring a test case in court if necessary.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, he said: "We want to expose the issue because of what children and young people have been telling us across the country.

"Thousands of them, who are law-abiding children who don't cause anti-social behaviour, are very angry indeed over the fact that these devices are being installed indiscriminately, affecting any young ear - it will affect babies, toddlers, children, disabled children as well as young people."

The Mosquito was invented by a former British Aerospace engineer, Howard Stapleton, after his daughter was intimidated by a gang of boys hanging around outside shops.

Stapleton said he received hundreds of positive reports from police, councils and businesses, but agreed a test case in the courts might be the only way of establishing the Mosquito's legality.

Aynsley-Green is asking anyone who knows where a Mosquito is to contact him so he can create a map of their locations.

Source

So kids, if you're ever being intimidated by a gang of juvenile scumbags, the best way to deal with them is to spontaneously deafen every single child in the area. Including yourself.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
02-12-2008, 12:41 PM
This is just pathetic were human beings not bloody rodents

crayon
02-12-2008, 12:57 PM
How...unfair.
I can see it as being of use if kids are out of control, or for busting teenager's parties, but what about the rest of us?

czgibson
02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Greetings,

I thought this was an excellent idea when I first heard about it. Kids can be threatening when they're hanging around in large groups, even if they don't realise it.

Still, it's a fair point that kids who are behaving themselves will suffer as a result of this device. If there was an easy way to police the device's use then it could really help shopkeepers who currently have to put up with underage kids pestering them for alcohol etc. every day in practically every city in the UK.

Maybe if the machine took a photo every time it was used? I don't know - I'm thinking aloud here.

Overall, though, I think its benefits probably outweigh its harms.

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
02-12-2008, 01:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I thought this was an excellent idea when I first heard about it. Kids can be threatening when they're hanging around in large groups, even if they don't realise it.

Still, it's a fair point that kids who are behaving themselves will suffer as a result of this device. If there was an easy way to police the device's use then it could really help shopkeepers who currently have to put up with underage kids pestering them for alcohol etc. every day in practically every city in the UK.

Maybe if the machine took a photo every time it was used? I don't know - I'm thinking aloud here.

Peace
its an utterly a preposterous idea absolutely shocking its kind of a shame to use similar devices that used to keep rodents at bay,im sure finding a more humane solution would be much easier for example setting up youth clubs and other places of recreational activites most of the kids hang around simply because they have nothing to do so they go out in groups and entertain themselves with drinking alcohol and what not
parents play a big part in this if they tame theyr kids this wouldnt happen

crayon
02-12-2008, 01:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Peace
You say that because you wouldn't hear it.:giggling:

czgibson
02-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
You say that because you wouldn't hear it.:giggling:
You could well be right! :D

Peace

guyabano
02-12-2008, 02:35 PM
'No to accustic haressment' ! It's already enough what I have to endure during Christmas in the malls, when 'Jingle Bells' is showering down on me. Eeeeek !

I think, when there is a group of 'troublemaker-teenies' hanging around, a decent annoying Police presence around them would be more disturbing than some mosquito audio devices.

peace

Muezzin
02-12-2008, 02:41 PM
The delinquents need a good smacking. Unless of course smacking has turned them into delinquents.

Either way, there's no reason why every single child in a given area has to suffer this noise every time a chav decides his bling quota needs upgrading.

minaz
02-12-2008, 04:12 PM
There's one of these devices near my grandma's house, near a school in an area of relative vice. It must of been installed 2 years ago and to this very day it makes me go EFing crazy whenever i'm around there!
Thing is, kids hang around the radius of the sonic reach, guess all it doe sis protect the shcool property- unless vandels decide to plug cotton wool in their ears.

More Bobs on the beat i say!

Muezzin
02-12-2008, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by minaz
Thing is, kids hang around the radius of the sonic reach, guess all it doe sis protect the shcool property- unless vandels decide to plug cotton wool in their ears.
Or they could just turn their iPods louder. And then beat some guy to death.

More Bobs on the beat i say!
And less of the fake cops aka 'Community Support Officers'.

Of course, that would require a little thing called Government expenditure...

Also, you'd think all those CCTV cameras everywhere would come in handy for crime-prevention and detection. What kind of cruddy police state are we? At least kids were well-behaved in '1984'. Heck, they turned in their parents to the authorities. That's progress.

rookie_forever
02-13-2008, 01:00 PM
I personally believe if they worked more on prevention rather then short term "cures" though I wouldn't want to be near one of them when it goes off, I have enough trouble with my ears as it is.

Maybe try some community action to help the kids feel part of the community and get them busy doing something worth doing rather then leaving them to hang around on street corners.

Fenris
02-18-2008, 04:54 PM
This Mosquito discriminates and is a device of torture against the young. What does this show what sort of country England is to support such sonic weapons against children?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.