/* */

PDA

View Full Version : TORTUOUS SUICIDE: German Man Starved Himself to Death in Forest

FatimaAsSideqah
02-13-2008, 01:15 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

February 12, 2008

He was unemployed, his marriage had collapsed and he had lost touch with his daughter. A 58-year-old German man committed suicide by cycling deep into a forest and starving himself to death in a 24-day ordeal during which he kept a diary of his suffering.

An unemployed German man whose marriage had failed cycled into a forest where he starved himself to death over a period of 24 days, keeping a diary of his physical decline, German police said.

The 58-year-old man, whose name has not been released, was found by two hunters on Monday. He was lying on a mattress in an elevated hide in woodland in the Solling hill region of northern Germany, some 100 kilometers from the city of Hanover where he had lived. He had probably been dead since December.

He wrote in his diary about the collapse of his marriage, about how his grown-up daughter become estranged from him and his long period of unemployment, according to a local newspaper article, the contents of which were confirmed by police in the town of Northeim. He stopped being eligible for jobless benefit payments last October.

The man wrote about the pain he was in as he starved. He occasionally drank some water during his self-imposed ordeal. The last diary entry is on Dec. 13 last year. The diary also contains a note saying: "This notebook is to be given to my daughter (?) after my death," according to the report in the Hessisch/Niedersächsische Allgemeine newspaper.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...534781,00.html

Allah Hafiz
Sister Fatima

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
krypton6
02-13-2008, 02:15 PM
What a stupid way of killing yourself.

crayon
02-13-2008, 03:45 PM
How horrible...:(
At least with other forms of suicide it's virtually instantaneous.. imagine suffering for that long. And by your own free will, as well. Scary.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-13-2008, 03:50 PM
^ yeah its funny isnt it, but the thing is these people completely forget Allaah at these times.

its sad, but i know for a fact, everytime someone hits rock bottom like that, they either turn to Allah or curse Allaah, audhubillaah may Allah protect us

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
gladTidings
02-13-2008, 03:59 PM
That is really sad... I cant imagine what his daughter must be going through now. Its as if he is punishing her. May Allah protect us from falling to such a state... Ameen.:cry:

Muezzin
02-13-2008, 04:10 PM
No disrespect intended, but it seems really difficult to starve to death in a forest. There's fruit and veg and meat everywhere you turn.

I hope his family can cope with the loss.

smile
02-13-2008, 05:41 PM
there are so many more interresting ways of commiting suicide! silly man

truemuslim
02-13-2008, 05:45 PM
lol thats the best way he found?! lol thats hilarius...

reminds me of the story on the first page of the 'short story thread' where the kid hated his mom cuz she was embarrassin and had one eye bla bla bla till she died and left a letter for him and tellin him why she gots one eye and then he felt bad blab lbla bla

yeah thats all... poor dude tho..may allah forgive him and have mercy...

:w:

xboxisdead
02-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Men like that make me sick! I hate weak men like that! This is because he is not Muslim. If he was a Muslim no matter how hard his situation is, he should always seek refuge to Allah (SWT). Always pray, pray, pray, pray and pray and seek refuse to Allah (SWT). So what if your wife divorced you or your daughter left you, they are not worth it. Any daughter who leaves her father in this state is not worthy to be a daughter. In my opinion I would have disowned her myself and screw the wife. If she left him for reasons beside him abusing her, or body harm, just because he had a misfortune in work or whatever then I would initiate it before she even done it herself. Wife and children are not everything in this life, strive for the after life.

xboxisdead
02-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Excuse me I made a mistake where it says "seek refuse to Allah (SWT)" I mean to say "seek refuge to Allah (SWT) since this forum PREVENTS me from editing it I have to enter it here. I hate forums that prevent editing..I hate it.

xboxisdead
02-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I hate this forum like no tomorrow...it is not "Seek refuge to Allah" I meant to say "Seek refuge in Allah (SWT)" there we go. So seek refuge in Allah (SWT).

aadil77
02-13-2008, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by foodyt
I hate this forum like there's no tomorrow...it is not "Seek refuge to Allah" I meant to say "Seek refuge in Allah (SWT)" there we go. So seek refuge in Allah (SWT).
lol! bro :D you sound like your suppressed!

crayon
02-13-2008, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
No disrespect intended, but it seems really difficult to starve to death in a forest. There's fruit and veg and meat everywhere you turn.

I hope his family can cope with the loss.
Am I missing the sarcasm here, or were you being serious?

In case you were being serious, forests aren't like the kind you see in movies, with pretty berries and wild animals that are easy to catch. They're just trees. Lots and lots of trees. Plus, he starved on purpose, so I'm guessing even if there was food, he wouldn't have eaten it.

truemuslim
02-13-2008, 10:39 PM
I hate this forum like no tomorrow...it is not "Seek refuge to Allah" I meant to say "Seek refuge in Allah (SWT)" there we go. So seek refuge in Allah (SWT).
lol bro ur killing me...

u can edit after 50 posts

IbnAbdulHakim
02-14-2008, 10:38 AM
lolll calm down akhee

btw beautiful post above there, yeah men should be STRONG !! but if they do have weak moments, someone should help them out

Fishman
02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Men like that make me sick! I hate weak men like that! This is because he is not Muslim. If he was a Muslim no matter how hard his situation is, he should always seek refuge to Allah (SWT). Always pray, pray, pray, pray and pray and seek refuse to Allah (SWT). So what if your wife divorced you or your daughter left you, they are not worth it. Any daughter who leaves her father in this state is not worthy to be a daughter. In my opinion I would have disowned her myself and screw the wife. If she left him for reasons beside him abusing her, or body harm, just because he had a misfortune in work or whatever then I would initiate it before she even done it herself. Wife and children are not everything in this life, strive for the after life.
:sl:
But then you are not the one with depression are you? The man did not choose to be like that, his problems destroyed him.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-14-2008, 12:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
But then you are not the one with depression are you? The man did not choose to be like that, his problems destroyed him.
the man commited suicide by his own free-will.

if thats not choosing to destroy yourself then i dont know what is

wa alaikum ussalaam

Fishman
02-14-2008, 12:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
the man commited suicide by his own free-will.

if thats not choosing to destroy yourself then i dont know what is

wa alaikum ussalaam
Depression messes with free will. Commiting suicide may be wrong, and it is certainly stupid and counterproductive, but a person who is depressed that badly is not sane. If you have depression (a disease, not just an emotion), the only way to stop it is with drugs, physcological help or some sort of miracle. It doesn't just go away by 'being strong'. In fact being told to 'be strong' may even make it worse, as it makes you think you are weak and hopeless.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Depression messes with free will. Commiting suicide may be wrong, and it is certainly stupid and counterproductive, but a person who is depressed that badly is not sane. If you have depression (a disease, not just an emotion), the only way to stop it is with drugs, physcological help or some sort of miracle. It doesn't just go away by 'being strong'. In fact being told to 'be strong' may even make it worse, as it makes you think you are weak and hopeless.
then i ask you if depression is a valid excuse for suicide?!

im sure you will find the answer to be "no".

wallahi if i found you correct i would have admitted it ages ago, but nothing can justify suicide... can it?!

Assalamu Alaikum

------
02-14-2008, 03:01 PM
:salamext:

Suicide again...! SubhaanAllaah...what is this world coming to...!

ABWAN
02-15-2008, 02:50 AM
Its sad to read such stories. This one is particularly saddening. Imagine how frustrated he would have been to have taken his life this way!

Its a loss of life and we should be saddened by it. A "lol", "hilarious" or "stupid" should rather be avoided. This man was unemployed...that doesnt make him stupid. I am sure he did it for a purpose (perhaps to convey something to someone) and whatever be it, its between Allah and him. Lets try not to be the judge here!

MaiCarInMtl
02-15-2008, 09:15 PM

wallahi if i found you correct i would have admitted it ages ago, but nothing can justify suicide... can it?!

Assalamu Alaikum
Obviously, this guy thought it was. Not everyone sees things the same way and depression (and other possible diseases) can cloud your judgement or even turn you into a completely different person. Not everyone has the same way of dealing with things. Most people don't starves themselves to death, most chose an instantaneous death - just the fact that he dragged it on for 24 days is a sign that something wasn't right.

Either way, God will deal with him when the time comes. Until then, I don't really think anyone can really say if his suicide was justified or not as we are not aware of exactly what he was going through nor his state of mind.

Truly a sad story.

Fishman
02-17-2008, 06:34 PM

Assalamu Alaikum
No, depression is not an excuse for suicide. Nobody in the right mind would think it is. But people who are having a big bout of depression are not in the right mind. Suiciders are not weak pathetic people who give up all the time, they have serious mental problems and certainly wouldn't have gone and killed themselves if they weren't depressed.

true believer
02-17-2008, 07:01 PM
thats sad yet weak
he just took the easy way out and just avoided his problems, instead of facing them like a man. Allah knows why he did it. but still why do dat to u're self? the pain he must have gone through, slowly waiting to die. he must have felt really alone, and dats da way he died.

Fishman
02-17-2008, 08:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by true believer
thats sad yet weak
he just took the easy way out and just avoided his problems, instead of facing them like a man.
If you are depressed you can't solve your problems. It is not a choice to be depressed, it is an illness. Calling depressed people weak is completely wrong and is just as bad as calling somebody who is dying of cancer weak for not fighting the disease off.

chacha_jalebi
02-17-2008, 10:01 PM
cough cough

now now kiddies, i know its half term but it dont mean you can use and abuse this site:p

no more off topic posting otherwise... :shade:

true believer
02-18-2008, 11:51 AM
If you are depressed you can't solve your problems. It is not a choice to be depressed, it is an illness. Calling depressed people weak is completely wrong and is just as bad as calling somebody who is dying of cancer weak for not fighting the disease off.
salam
fair enough brother BUT he didnt have to kill himself
if someone is depressed, they should try to help themsleves and not just
give up and by the way, suicide is haram. even if he is a disbeliver, sucide is wrong and another example of having NO faith. no matter how depressed or how bad ur problems are, u should be strong and work through them instead of giving up and how can u compare that to having cancer?!
there is a diffrence between killing urself and dying of a disease. people cant help getting cancer, its fate and Allah's will. people who kill themselves are
fighting Allah's will. they didnt die naturally. they died when THEY chose to die and that is why it is wrong in islam. I am NOT calling depressed people weak, [maybe u missed da point] i am calling people who kill themselves weak.

Fishman
02-18-2008, 04:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by true believer
salam
fair enough brother BUT he didnt have to kill himself
if someone is depressed, they should try to help themsleves and not just
give up and by the way, suicide is haram. even if he is a disbeliver, sucide is wrong and another example of having NO faith. no matter how depressed or how bad ur problems are, u should be strong and work through them instead of giving up and how can u compare that to having cancer?!
there is a diffrence between killing urself and dying of a disease. people cant help getting cancer, its fate and Allah's will. people who kill themselves are
fighting Allah's will. they didnt die naturally. they died when THEY chose to die and that is why it is wrong in islam. I am NOT calling depressed people weak, [maybe u missed da point] i am calling people who kill themselves weak.
Yes, I agree that suicide is haram. But what I am saying is that people who have depression should not be treated as weak or pathetic, they need medical help.

Yes, I probably did miss your point.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Suiciders are not weak pathetic people who give up all the time, they have serious mental problems and certainly wouldn't have gone and killed themselves if they weren't depressed.
so your saying its not their fault that they commit suicide but the fault is with this mental problem known as depression?!

no offence little brother in islam but it sounds the same as saying, its not my fault that i stabbed that man, its the fault of the anger i felt due to past events which had built up.

just something to think about...

crayon
02-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Understanding the reason for their actions is not the same as condoning. There's a difference between saying "they did it because of an illness" and "they did it because they're stupid/weak/etc.".

People who commit suicide are not in their right mind. It's not like we're saying "it's okay, they were sick, it's not their fault". It's just that a little understanding and compassion is needed in situations like these. :]

Salam.

Mikayeel
02-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Oh my dear lord!

How awfull to die like this! That guy is mentally not stable, I cant even sleep with an empty stomach let alone die with one:P

morate
02-18-2008, 09:03 PM
I am thinking maybe this guy went out alone into the forest to look for a sign. Maybe everyday he is laying there, half hoping someone will come along and find him- save him. And then he figures if no one comes it is meant to be. Surely, it is a long and slow way to go...with plenty of chances to "undo" it. A gunshot is so instantaneous. Maybe, somehow, he never got his sign- or he missed it. (clearly, he missed it.)

Most surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of the night and day there are signs for men who understand.

Fishman
02-19-2008, 08:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Understanding the reason for their actions is not the same as condoning. There's a difference between saying "they did it because of an illness" and "they did it because they're stupid/weak/etc.".

People who commit suicide are not in their right mind. It's not like we're saying "it's okay, they were sick, it's not their fault". It's just that a little understanding and compassion is needed in situations like these. :]

Salam.
Exactly my point.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.