PDA

View Full Version : Fiqh of Love Notes

FatimaAsSideqah
02-13-2008, 11:29 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Marriage and Family Life
taught by Sheikh Yasser Birjas

Introduction

It is natural for people fall in and out of love and romance. It happens all around us. Love is one of the most talked about subjects in the media. A short while ago there was the incident of the female astronaut and the love triangle that ultimately led to murder. Walk the streets of Manhattan and you’ll see people committing suicide just because of
lost love.

Muslims and Love

Views on love in the Muslim community range from the extremely liberal (love is good and everything related is ok prior to marriage) to the extremely conservative (love is bad or the groom is only allowed to see his bride on the night of the wedding!). Love, however, is a topic that is not really discussed in the masjids and is greatly misunderstood. Love, in reality, is one of the main things provided by Islam. Can you ask your local Imam however: “I’m in love, please help me”?

Source of Guidance on Love:

The Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) provides many solutions for relationship issues. ‘Aisha was the most beloved to him. He fell in love with her when he was in his fifties. Narrated Abu Uthman: “Allah's Apostle sent 'Amr bin Al As as the commander of the troops of Dhat-us-Salasil. 'Amr bin Al-'As said, "(On my return) I came to the Prophet and said, 'Which people do you love most?' He replied, 'Aisha.' I said, 'From amongst the men?' He replied, 'Her father (Abu Bakr)'. I said, 'Whom (do you love) next?' He replied, "Umar.' Then he counted the names of many men, and I became silent for fear that he might regard me as the last of them” (alBukhari). The above testimony of the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) occurred when he was in his 50's! The prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) is a human being just like us. His wives even used to perform practical jokes on him!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.