/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why Islam judges suicide as a grave sin

ahsan28
02-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Why Islam judges suicide as a grave sin

KhaleejTimes
15 February 2008

The act of suicide is a grave sin in Islam. Allah Almighty says in the noble Quran:

"...And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allah is most merciful to you." (4:29)

People who contemplate suicide do so to escape the suffering and pain of this world. They mistakenly think that by ending their lives they will end all their sorrows. But what they don’t know, according to the Islamic belief, is that by committing suicide their troubles have only just begun.

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said,

"Whoever throws himself down from a mountain and kills himself will be in the fire of hell, throwing himself down therein for ever and ever. Whoever takes poison and kills himself, his poison will be in his hand and he will be sipping it in the fire of hell forever and ever. Whoever kills himself with a piece of iron, that piece of iron will be in his hand and he will be stabbing himself in the stomach with it in the fire of hell, for ever and ever." (Bukhari)

So not only will the person who commits suicide not find peace when they kill themselves but they will be tortured for eternity by their weapon of choice when they committed the initial deed. And they will never even hope to reach heaven.

Anyone who has ever read the noble Quran can see the simplicity of this world within its’ sacred text. This world is a testing ground to see who is the best in faith so that they may reap the rewards in the next life to come. This world is full of tragedy, pain and heartbreak. Depression and suicide are common maladies these days but killing oneself is never the answer. All humans must trust in Allah no matter what calamities befall them.

Muslims are supposed to be one unit, or Ummah, united under the banner of Islam. The Quran provides the utmost details for the implementation of a quality infrastructure within all Muslims nations to serve the needs of the community. For example, Allah commands us to give alms to the poor and all Muslims are commanded to give Zakat if they are able. These alms are meant to ensure that poor residents of Islamic nations do not face the hardships of poverty.

Further, the mosque itself, especially during the lifetime of Muhammad (pbuh), was the command centre of the community dealing with all the needs of the downtrodden. These days many Muslims lack the initiative to contact the Imam at the mosque in times of crises, but they should reach out for help if they need it. Moreover, Muslims must be proactive in looking for ways to help their community through donating poor alms. If you know someone who is suffering, extend a helping hand to relieve some of the stress and misery the afflicted person is dealing with. Remind them to trust in Allah and you too will receive innumerable blessings. Insha’Allah.

Sumayyah Meehan is a Kuwait-based American writer who embraced Islam.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...editorial&col=

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
02-15-2008, 10:26 AM
:salamext:

Jazaak Allaah Khayr! Wiked article.... :thumbs_up

strider
02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
It is said that those who are not mentally stable are excused from taking responsibility for their actions. Many people who commit suicide suffer from underlying mental disorders like depression; will such people be punished in Hell?

It's easy for people who are not suffering from such disorders to say 'suicide is never the answer' or that one is weak for taking their own life. Such advice is not as easily taken on board by people suffering from things like depression and suicide, for many, may appear to be the answer.

krypton6
02-15-2008, 06:18 PM
What if you are being tortured over and over again, can you still not take your own life in order to spare yourself all the pain awaiting you?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sur
02-15-2008, 11:27 PM
even if one is under physical or psychological difficulty , still suicide is haraam as in following Hadees, person killed himself when he was in pain:-

Bukhari:52:147:-

Allah's Apostle and the pagans faced each other and started fighting. When Allah's Apostle returned to his camp and when the pagans returned to their camp, somebody talked about a man amongst the companions of Allah's Apostle who would follow and kill with his sword any pagan going alone.(so it is wrong to kill anyone who is NOT fighting with u) He said, "Nobody did his job (i.e. fighting) so properly today as that man." Allah's Apostle said, "Indeed, he is amongst the people of the (Hell) Fire." A man amongst the people said, "I shall accompany him (to watch what he does)" Thus he accompanied him, and wherever he stood, he would stand with him, and wherever he ran, he would run with him. Then the (brave) man got wounded seriously and he decided to bring about his death quickly. He planted the blade of the sword in the ground directing its sharp end towards his chest between his two breasts. Then he leaned on the sword and killed himself. The other man came to Allah's Apostle and said, "I testify that you are Allah's Apostle." The Prophet asked, "What has happened?" He replied, "(It is about) the man whom you had described as one of the people of the (Hell) Fire. The people were greatly surprised at what you said, and I said, 'I will find out his reality for you.' So, I came out seeking him. He got severely wounded, and hastened to die by slanting the blade of his sword in the ground directing its sharp end towards his chest between his two breasts. Then he eased on his sword and killed himself." when Allah's Apostle said, "A man may seem to the people as if he were practising the deeds of the people of Paradise while in fact he is from the people of the Hell) Fire, another may seem to the people as if he were practicing the deeds of the people of Hell (Fire), while in fact he is from the people of Paradise."

by the way this hadees also proves that suicide bombers will be in hell, since they do exactly what this person did;
1)kill civilian non-muslims. 2)kill themselves.

Roasted Cashew
02-17-2008, 02:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
even if one is under physical or psychological difficulty , still suicide is haraam as in following Hadees, person killed himself when he was in pain:-

Bukhari:52:147:-

Allah's Apostle and the pagans faced each other and started fighting. When Allah's Apostle returned to his camp and when the pagans returned to their camp, somebody talked about a man amongst the companions of Allah's Apostle who would follow and kill with his sword any pagan going alone.(so it is wrong to kill anyone who is NOT fighting with u) He said, "Nobody did his job (i.e. fighting) so properly today as that man." Allah's Apostle said, "Indeed, he is amongst the people of the (Hell) Fire." A man amongst the people said, "I shall accompany him (to watch what he does)" Thus he accompanied him, and wherever he stood, he would stand with him, and wherever he ran, he would run with him. Then the (brave) man got wounded seriously and he decided to bring about his death quickly. He planted the blade of the sword in the ground directing its sharp end towards his chest between his two breasts. Then he leaned on the sword and killed himself. The other man came to Allah's Apostle and said, "I testify that you are Allah's Apostle." The Prophet asked, "What has happened?" He replied, "(It is about) the man whom you had described as one of the people of the (Hell) Fire. The people were greatly surprised at what you said, and I said, 'I will find out his reality for you.' So, I came out seeking him. He got severely wounded, and hastened to die by slanting the blade of his sword in the ground directing its sharp end towards his chest between his two breasts. Then he eased on his sword and killed himself." when Allah's Apostle said, "A man may seem to the people as if he were practising the deeds of the people of Paradise while in fact he is from the people of the Hell) Fire, another may seem to the people as if he were practicing the deeds of the people of Hell (Fire), while in fact he is from the people of Paradise."

by the way this hadees also proves that suicide bombers will be in hell, since they do exactly what this person did;
1)kill civilian non-muslims. 2)kill themselves.

WOW, thank you very much for the Hadith. Very revealing. Now, I seriously hope someone destroys the Taliban and Al-Qaeda.

Ibn Al Aqwa
02-18-2008, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hmmm5
WOW, thank you very much for the Hadith. Very revealing. Now, I seriously hope someone destroys the Taliban and Al-Qaeda.
Astaghfirullaah, now i really hope someone destroys that way of thought, read your signature...

I cannot believe a muslim just said that, SubhanAllaah, we truely are in the days of jaahilyaah...

strider
02-20-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm sorry but that does not answer my question.

chaste
02-21-2008, 03:08 PM
what about when someone is going to get raped?... me and my sister was talking about these issues. what if she thought she'd rather kill herself than be raped by someone?

IbnAbdulHakim
02-21-2008, 03:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
It is said that those who are not mentally stable are excused from taking responsibility for their actions. Many people who commit suicide suffer from underlying mental disorders like depression; will such people be punished in Hell?

It's easy for people who are not suffering from such disorders to say 'suicide is never the answer' or that one is weak for taking their own life. Such advice is not as easily taken on board by people suffering from things like depression and suicide, for many, may appear to be the answer.
define mental disorders please.

true believer
02-21-2008, 10:26 PM
salam brother
thank u for dat
i knew dat suicide was haram
but i didnt know dat da person who
killed themself will be tortured for eternity by
their weapon of choice! great reminder, may Allah
reward u for ur effort!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.