/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are conventional Hair Dyes permissable?

Aaliyah~
02-15-2008, 08:51 PM

:sl:
:thankyou:
i'm sure i've requested this thread before- but it never seemed to have passed approval.
i've heard by some ppl that we can only use organic dyes like Henna and that other chemical dyes prevent us from performing wudhu .
i hope someone can shed some light into this.
Thanx in Advance!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
02-17-2008, 01:16 PM
some dyes do prevent you from doing wudhu as they just coat the hair not dye it like henna. you have to check and see what the dyes do. like for example those 24 hour/ 3 day ones coat the hair, so when you put water on youll see it running out. it depends which dyes you are talking about

Aaliyah~
02-17-2008, 01:31 PM
:a:i mean permanent hair colour..u know like L'oreal or Nice & Easy?
what about them?

crayon
02-17-2008, 05:29 PM
I've never heard of them being haram. As far as i know they're 100% okay inshallah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
02-17-2008, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I've never heard of them being haram. As far as i know they're 100% okay inshallah.
I thought that dyin the hair using conventional hair dyes are haraam full stop??

FatimaAsSideqah
02-17-2008, 09:19 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Changing the color of grey hair by using henna, red dye, yellow dye, and so on.

Abu Hurairah reported that the Prophet, upon whom be peace, said, "The Jews and Christians do not dye, so differ from them." (Related by "the group.") Abu Dharr reported that the Messenger of Allah said, "The best thing that one can use to change the color of grey hairs is henna and katm (a reddish dye)."

There are some narrations that state that dying is disliked, but it is obvious that these narrations conflict with the sunnah and custom. It is related from some of the companions that it is better not to dye, while others say it is better to do it. Some used a yellow dye, while others used henna or katm. Others used saffron, and a group of them used a black dye. Ibn Hajr mentioned in Fath al-Bari that az-Zuhri said, "We used black dye if our face was youthful, but if wrinkles were present and the teeth were gone we would not use it." Said Jabir, "Abu Quhafah (Abu Bakr's father) was brought to the Prophet during the conquest of Makkah while his head was "white." The Prophet, upon whom be peace, said, "Take him to one of his wives and let her change the color of his hair with something, but she should avoid (making his hair) black." (Related by "the group," except for al-Bukhari and at-Tirmidhi).

It is allowed for a woman (or a man) to change the hair color, although it should not be colored black. Please read the fatawa below.

Ablution would not be affected unless the hair was covered with some thick, waxy or greasy substance that prevented water from reaching it.

Islam Questions & Answers
www.islam-qa.com
Question Reference Number:: 6455
Title: It is not permissible for a woman to dye her hair black

Home > Jurisprudence and Islamic Rulings > Customs and traditions > Clothing, adornment and images > Adornments >
Question:

I know that it is permissible for a woman to use henna to color her hair, but i am wondering if it is okay to use bleach or other hair coloring on womens hair.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked about that and he said:

If the hair is dyed black, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade that when he commanded a man to change his white hair, but to avoid black. He said: “Change this white hair but avoid black.” (See Saheeh Muslim, 5476). A stern warning has also been narrated to the one who does that, namely the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “There will be people at the end of time who will dye their hair black like the crops of birds; they will not even smell the fragrance of Paradise.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4212; al-Nasaa'i, 8/138; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami', 8153). This indicates that it is forbidden to change the hair with black dye. With regard to changing it with different colours of dye, the basic principle is that it is permissible, unless it is done in the manner of kaafir women or immoral women, in which case it is forbidden for that reason, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4031; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa' al-Ghaleel, 5/109).

Majmoo' Fataawa wa Rasaa'il Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 4/121. (www.islam-qa.com)
Allah Hafiz
Sister Fatima

Aaliyah~
02-19-2008, 11:58 AM
i'm sure changing the colour of the hair is allowed (excvept to black ofcourse) even encouraged.
but just wanted to find out if using leading brand dyes allows us to perform wudhu/ghusl?

:w:

Aaliyah~
02-19-2008, 11:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon

i've heard quite a few ppl say this, but there are stil some who say u can't perform wudhu:-\ i'm confused!

are u able to name a few products that are definately halal or classed as permissable?

Aaliyah~
04-21-2008, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaliyah~
i've heard quite a few ppl say this, but there are stil some who say u can't perform wudhu:-\ i'm confused!

are u able to name a few products that are definately halal or classed as permissable?
[/B]
:?:?:?

Pk_#2
04-21-2008, 08:46 PM
:?:?:?
To dye the hair any other color besides black e.g. Mehndi or Katm (type of grass) is permissible. This was the practice of Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wassalam) and the Sahaba, Radi-Allahu anhum. (Jawahirul Fiqh vol 2 pg 421). And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best. - Imam Imraan

QUESTION: Is it permissible to use hair dyes, and which ones?
ANSWER:
In the Name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,
It is permissible, rather recommended (mandub) to dye the hair of the head (and beard for men) provided the ingredients used in the hair dye are Halal.
The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:
“Change the old age (white/grey hair), and do not imitate the Jews” (Sunan Tirmidhi & Sunan Nasa’i). - Adam Al kawthari

'Abd al-Baari
04-21-2008, 08:53 PM
WaAlaykumus Salaam

I'm not asking for me, :X but i was just wondering if the hair dye contained alcohol would it make it haraam?

:w: :)

Pk_#2
04-21-2008, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn Umayr
WaAlaykumus Salaam

I'm not asking for me, :X but i was just wondering if the hair dye contained alcohol would it make it haraam?

:w: :)
You never read my post, *Wak!*

It is permissible, rather recommended (mandub) to dye the hair of the head (and beard for men) provided the ingredients used in the hair dye are Halal.

Just for you akhi, in BOLD ^

.: Jannati :.
04-21-2008, 10:36 PM
aint it jus beta to luv what Allah's given ya? :D i've heard this stuff can really damage ya hair n'all :? :X

Snowflake
04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
deja vu!

There is another thread like this.. I've been posting on it :hmm:

anonymous
04-23-2008, 11:07 AM
its ve ja du not de ja vu, ma baby bro told me! Lol

sooooo can ya dye it or wt? how cum my mama wont lemme dye mine, i wear d wash out 1... SOMETYMS, wen i can be asked

Aaliyah~
04-23-2008, 01:31 PM
i've been doing some research (if u can count chechking other sites for responses research!)
lol

according to most Hair dyes such as L'oreal & Garnier ARE permissable.
as they alter the colour of the hair but don't coat it, allowing ghusl....

but some still argue dyeing it chemically "coats"
hair....

also Ammonia & Peroxide aren't deemed harram, so they are ok to use i suppose.
although most dyes now don't have ammonia anyways....
with reagard to alcohol, if it did have alcohol in, will it not just wash off after the application?

most Shampoos & Conditioners have some form of alcohol, but i still use it.....:/

aifasharafina22
08-15-2017, 06:25 PM
i've been doing some research (if u can count chechking other sites for responses research!)
lol

according to most Hair dyes such as L'oreal & Garnier ARE permissable.
as they alter the colour of the hair but don't coat it, allowing ghusl....

but some still argue dyeing it chemically "coats"
hair....

also Ammonia & Peroxide aren't deemed harram, so they are ok to use i suppose.
although most dyes now don't have ammonia anyways....
with reagard to alcohol, if it did have alcohol in, will it not just wash off after the application?

most Shampoos & Conditioners have some form of alcohol, but i still use it.....:/
I think you can use hair dye that contains alcohol in it, as alcohol only becomes haram when we drink it.

Scimitar
08-16-2017, 10:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aifasharafina22
I think you can use hair dye that contains alcohol in it, as alcohol only becomes haram when we drink it.
this is wrong, if alcohol spills onto your clothing - your clothing becomes haraam until you clean it - so how can you use dye with alcohol in it??? the answer is YOU CANNOT!!! I don;t care what you think - I care for how you mislead people without knowledge. So be quiet if you don't know a thing!

Scimi

Zzz_
08-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Alcohol is not najis (impure) in a physical sense; rather it is taahir (pure). So if it were to spill on your clothing, your clothing doesn't become haram.

Perfumes contain alcohol and you spray them on your clothing.

If the percentage of alcohol is very little, we say that it does not matter, and a person may use them without any concern, such as if the alcohol content is 5% or less. This does not matter.

If the percentage of alcohol is very high, so that you can detect it, then it is better not to use it except where it is necessary, such as for sterilizing wounds and the like.

In cases where it is not necessary, it is better not to use it, but we do not say that it is haram. The most we can say is that this high alcohol content is an intoxicant, and no doubt consuming intoxicants is haram according to the texts of Islam and the consensus of the scholars, but is using it in ways other than drinking it permissible? This is open to speculation, but to be on the safe side we should not use it.

https://islamqa.info/en/1365

By the same token, using hair dyes with alcohol should be ok, especially since it washes away.

format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
this is wrong, if alcohol spills onto your clothing - your clothing becomes haraam until you clean it - so how can you use dye with alcohol in it??? the answer is YOU CANNOT!!!
I don;t care what you think - I care for how you mislead people without knowledge. So be quiet if you don't know a thing!

Scimi
Do you have proof for this claim?

should take your own advice if you have no proof.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.