/* */

PDA

View Full Version : baseball cap vs topi

noorseeker
02-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Salam brothers and sisters

I just wanted to share an observation i have made. I love my caps and you im never without one. alahmdulillah i am practising, its just i noticed as soon as i wear a topi instead ,when i go outside , i feel i am treated so much nicer by fellow muslims, its like you get more respect, people say their salams and that to me and call me brother, they watch their language around me.
People ask me for help, once i was with my friend and some sisters had some trouble parking , so my friend helped them , and he said to me they only asked for help because i was wearing a topi ,

when i wear my cap , i look like jus another street boy , you wont know i pray.Obviously i do it for allahs sake , it feels like when i wear my topi i am know people are watching , so it helps me in a way to remind me as to how a muslim should act and it does help me lower my gaze a lot

when i switch to my cap, i feel all that pressure come off me , and im just another guy , no one really looking at me actions.it helps me not to judge people and taught me dont judge a book by its cover and i also tell friends that.also when i see young guys with topis on it increases my iman

My question is are there any brothers out there who have noticed this ,
or sisters who occassionally wear hijab

jasakallah:D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
02-16-2008, 12:36 PM
:sl:

That was a really nice post. Interesting insight.

Personally I can't say I have the same experience with hijab since I've been wearing it for so long, so I don't have moments when I'm not wearing hijab to compare it with.

Ebtisweetsam
02-16-2008, 01:10 PM
I truly understand where you are coming from.... But, no i dont wear the hijab on a casual basis... I mean about how ur treated.
If i am on my own, or with other hijab-wearing sisters, i get treated with more cautious looks, from NON muslims. Whereas, when i am with one of my actual blood sisters (who dont wear hijab), or especially my sister in law (who is Brit-Aust), I get alot more smiles from Non-Muslims.

In regards to Muslims- same but vice versa :happy:

noorseeker
02-16-2008, 04:04 PM
yeah i was focusing more on muslims, with non muslims is a different matter

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
02-16-2008, 07:05 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Hmm interesting post there...

My experience --> I always wear hijab and Jilbab etc and I notice that the non-Hijabi and Jilbabi's are slightly wary of me and dont bother smiling or greeting with Salaam when I pass by...they probably think I'm some sort of ... I dont know...But on the other hand hijabi's will look and me and speak to me normally, its like we can relate to each other.

For example, during and lecture I had to do an activity with a non-Hijaabi, and she punched me and called me a terrorist, and left me to die, but then we just got on with the work

I have also noticed that Hijabi's get much more respect from the brothers, you wont see them -excuse my choice of words- oggling them or anything....so yeah...overall I'd say there is a difference in the way Hijaab's and non-Hijaab's are treated...Was that even the question? lol :hiding:

WassalamuAlaykum

noorseeker
02-16-2008, 07:31 PM
I didnt really ask a question , i think lol.
I get respect from non practising friends because they know how hard it is to follow deen,

People expect practising guys to be all stern and strict , who dont smile.
Im always smiling and if you stay with me i will have a laugh and a joke with you.

Thing is that something in your head says to you look at you your a good person , a very very dangerous thing which could lead to arrogance , so i only wear it to prayers now and not permanently.

The thing i am trying to bring across is we should not and try and judge people by their looks or appearances. If i see a non hijabi , for all i know she knows more about islam than me, or the guys thats walking down the street , dresses like a chav might be a practising brother.

Re.TiReD
02-16-2008, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
The thing i am trying to bring across is we should not and try and judge people by their looks or appearances. If i see a non hijabi , for all i know she knows more about islam than me, or the guys thats walking down the street , dresses like a chav might be a practising brother.
AssalamuAlaykum

Yes Akhee, the above is too true unfortunately, just like the sis who thought I'd be somebody really serious and strict...SubhanAllah although the ones who know me best know that it is definately not the case *grin*

Just one comment though, in my opinion if a non-hijaabi had enough 'Ilm, she'd put it into practise and observe hijaab, thats just an opinion as I'm in no position to judge anybody, Wallahu A'alm just my two rupees.

WassalamuAlaykum

noorseeker
02-16-2008, 08:16 PM
yeah if she had knowlege she would . but there might be reasons, I know that a beard is wajib, but i dont have a beard.

When i first started practising , i hid it really well from my family , i would pray in secret, because i did not want pressure on me , oh look at my son , hes gone good and that.

And sisters hijab doesnt put off brothers wanting to marry you , in fact your more in demand,

Im scared becuae im a practising guy that marrieage is gonna be hard for me , im scared girls will think im so strict and that, but i know i will make em laugh all day long.

Just because a girl wears hijab doesnt mean she wants a practising hubby, A lot of girls who wear hijab act no differnt to a non hijabi, and some people say thet are worser, unfortuanately hijab doesnt mean practising,, where as topi or beard means at least an 80% chance.

Re.TiReD
02-16-2008, 08:48 PM

When i first started practising , i hid it really well from my family , i would pray in secret, because i did not want pressure on me , oh look at my son , hes gone good and that.

And sisters hijab doesnt put off brothers wanting to marry you , in fact your more in demand,

Im scared becuae im a practising guy that marrieage is gonna be hard for me , im scared girls will think im so strict and that, but i know i will make em laugh all day long.

Just because a girl wears hijab doesnt mean she wants a practising hubby, A lot of girls who wear hijab act no differnt to a non hijabi, and some people say thet are worser, unfortuanately hijab doesnt mean practising,, where as topi or beard means at least an 80% chance.
AssalamuAlaykum,

Hmm I see what you're saying...And I'm actually tempted to agree...The part about hiding it from your family, I can relate to that to a certain extent, simply because others members of the family are not always as practising and find it 'weird' or 'strange'...I've at times been called 'extreme' when actually all I was doing was practising Islam as a Muslim should, SubhanAllah...

Your point about Hijaabi sisters being in demand, I actually find that sickening...I've heard stories of brother who are not practising at all, who commit zina and every sin under the sun, yet when they are looking for a potential spouse they demand a hijaabi, somebody 'pure' and modest...What is the point of that? I find it totally pathetic...but I'm going off on a tangent here so...

And about you being frightened, SubhanAllah brother...why would marriage be hard for you? Insha'Allah you'll find the right person when Allah feels that you're ready, just as practising sisters might be in 'demand'...i think its the same for practising brothers also...as they seem to be quite few and far between nowadys SubhanAllah.

And lastly, I dont see why you differeciate between hijaabi's and non-hijaabi's and say thet Hijaabi's may be worse, but still feel that a beard is an 80% chance, in this day and age a beard could mean anything...from fashion to preference...not always religion...I'm not trying to judge, just showing another side to your point.

WassalamuAlaykum

noorseeker
02-16-2008, 09:37 PM
I dont mean to judge hijabis , allahamdulillah at least they wear it, just with beard you should at least expect it ,

Some guys with beard and girls with hijabs do bad things im sure ,
I think i was trying to say we should try not to judge, but hey were all human and me included we judge others all the time , some times unconsciously, if you see a hoodie coming your way , you will be scared, but then again it might be just for fashions sake.

Its just that on the streets we see guys who used to fight and do bad things turn to religion and become religious and good.

Its just with me personally , i havent heard of any girls who in single life have turned to religion , who have started wearing hijab, and that , i am sure there are it just that i prsonally havent heard of many.it will put my iman up a bit.

Personally i think with guys ,is they can get to a point where they hit a limit of doing bad stuff and they open their eyes to religion, they get all of lifes experiences out the way,

Re.TiReD
02-16-2008, 09:42 PM

Its just with me personally , i havent heard of any girls who in single life have turned to religion , who have started wearing hijab, and that , i am sure there are it just that i prsonally havent heard of many.it will put my iman up a bit.

Personally i think with guys ,is they can get to a point where they hit a limit of doing bad stuff and they open their eyes to religion, they get all of lifes experiences out the way,
AssalamuAlaykum

*smile* I think the problem you have is that you don't believe sisters can be similer to brothers in some aspects...for example, I am sure there are many sisters who have turned to Islam after a sinful past, Alhamdulillah they were guided by Allah...but you seem to think this applies to brothers only...Am I correct or just missing the point...?

We're all human and imperfect at the end of the day, but maybe strengthen your imaan with the idea that not all brothers and Muslimah's are stuck on shaytaans path....Because Allah guides whomsoever He wills. Sorry for going off-topic bro.

WassalamuAlaykum

noorseeker
02-16-2008, 10:00 PM
no no im just saying personally i aint heard of any . practising that is . sister you girls are way way way better than us guys , . Girls or guys who do not practice are not evil people or anything ,I dont look at non hijabis and think their bad people, a lot will have beautiful hearts and minds, remember the people who have good hearts when they are in jahaliya ,(ignorance) ,make the best muslims when when they start practising or at least it is easier for them.

Before i was practising , i like to think allah swt has given me good manners, so now im practising it is second nature and i dont have to work hard on that part,
but what if i had bad manners before and i became practising i would have to work hard on it to become second nature.

Sis , im laughing now , this thread is like chinese whispers , we have turned it into a complete thread altogether

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
02-17-2008, 10:36 PM
I sometimes wear a cap or topi but nobody seems to notice which is a good thing in itself i suppose. Probably if i wore a bright rainbow coloured reflective one people might be intrested but im happy with my one. What colour is the oen you got bro?

BTW my heart is full of admiration for the brothers and sisters with who dress and act according to the Sunnah of the Prophet (PBUH) especially the younger ones.

------
02-18-2008, 11:31 AM
:salamext:

I've worn Hijaab since I was about 10 lol Alhamdulillah, and as far as I can remember, Muslims and Non Muslims give me more repsect than lets say, other girls in school/college/work, and they're careful not to talk to me unnecessarily or too much jokingly, and they dont look at me that much, like they do with others girls.

Alhamdulillah for Islamic rules :)

IbnAbdulHakim
02-18-2008, 11:36 AM
mashaAllah nice observation

its scary being underwatch sometimes isnt it bro, its also scary being too-overconfident

underwatch - people might get the wrong impression of islaam

overconfident - you might think somethings right but dont know thus showing the wrong impression without knowing

la adree, the sunnah is a remedy, if only people realised

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.