/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Kosovo PM confirms independence to be declared on Sunday

AvarAllahNoor
02-16-2008, 12:27 PM
PRISTINA, Serbia (AFP) — Prime Minister Hashim Thaci confirmed Saturday that Kosovo would declare its independence from Serbia on Sunday, the day when the "will of the citizens of Kosovo" would be implemented.

"Tomorrow will be a day of calm, of understanding, and of state engagements for the implementation of the will of the citizens of Kosovo," said Thaci after meeting religious leaders from the predominantly ethnic Albanian province.

Expectations that independence would be declared on Sunday have been running high but Thaci's comments marked the first top-level confirmation that the long-awaited break with Serbia would take place this weekend.

Thaci appealed for celebrations to unfold with "dignity ... on the day of the declaration of independence, on the big day, on the historic day ... a day of thanksgiving for a sovereign and independent Kosovo".

Kosovo inched closer to its historic declaration of independence with a growing sense of excitement among its people and the European Union launching a police and judicial mission to smoothen the birth of the world's newest state.

Serbia, backed by Russia, has said that the split -- supported by the United States and most major European powers, nine years after Kosovo was put under interim UN administration -- would be illegal.

The leader of Kosovo's Serb minority, Milan Ivanovic, told AFP that the EU police and justice mission -- designed to help Kosovo's transition to sovereignty -- was a form of "occuatpion".

Without giving their sources, several newspapers in Pristina reported Saturday that the declaration would come around 3:00 pm (1400 GMT) on Sunday to the strains of "Ode to Joy," the anthem of the European Union.

Street parties and fireworks would follow, while the NATO-lead Kosovo Force that has been deployed in Kosovo since 1999 -- when the province was put under UN interim adminstration -- is expected to be out in force to ensure security.

"Everything is pointing to Sunday," a source close to Thaci's government told AFP earlier in the day, as Serbia all but gave up hope of hanging onto the province it sees as the cradle of its culture and Serbian Orthodox religion

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...FlgFAxol-BIyag

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AvarAllahNoor
02-16-2008, 12:32 PM

Amadeus85
02-17-2008, 12:51 AM
I wonder how this situation will end

krypton6
02-17-2008, 01:04 AM
What's up with the american flag? What are they thanking america for? (just asking dont eat me)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
02-17-2008, 01:51 AM
USA and EU support Kosova independent...

That's why they're waving American flag...

Congratulations to all Kosovars.

thirdwatch512
02-17-2008, 02:11 AM
The US Government has been very supportive of an independent Kosovo, which is why many people in Kosovo are waiving US flags!

I am very happy for the people of Kosovo. They have deserved to be independent for a long time!

syed saboor
02-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Justice for Serbia! Justice for Serbia! Long live Serbia. I love Serbia and the Serbian people.

syed saboor
02-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Kosovo belongs to Serbia, not to you Albanian shiprats!

north_malaysian
02-17-2008, 02:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed saboor
If Kosova belongs to the Serbs... why only 10% of the population are Serbs?

Roasted Cashew
02-17-2008, 02:29 AM
It did indeed used to belong to Serbia until Serbians decided to ethnically cleanse the Kosavars. I'm sorrry but if needed I will go and fight for Kosovo as well in case Serbia does anything stupid.

north_malaysian
02-17-2008, 02:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hmmm5
It did indeed used to belong to Serbia until Serbians decided to ethnically cleanse the Kosavars. I'm sorrry but if needed I will go and fight for Kosovo as well in case Serbia does anything stupid.
I think Malaysians are very supportive of Kosova's independence as there are many Bosniacs and Kosovars living and studying here...

They're very humble and friendly people...

north_malaysian
02-17-2008, 03:42 AM
Al Zaara, our member here in LI Islamic Forum is a Kosovar.. and she is 1,000,000 times more religious than syed saboor...

Furthermore, not all Kashmiris are Muslims, some are Hindus or Buddhists.

Heera Singh
02-17-2008, 04:27 AM
Furthermore, not all Kashmiris are Muslims, some are Hindus or Buddhists.
and some sikhs :D

syed saboor
02-17-2008, 04:56 AM
People, defend the rights of real Muslims. Stop wasting your time on defending pathetic misserable excuses for human beings. Kashmiri women are being raped, why don't you complain about that. I have Kashmiri ancestry and I am appaled that there is not word about Kashmir on the Jewish-controlled media. The Jews wanted the war against Serbia. It's a fact that the Bosnian Muslim government hired public realtions firms to manufacture war propaganda against the Serbs. Its a fact. Wake up and acknowledge the truth.

Al-Zaara
02-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Selam aleykum we rahmetallahu,

Thank you all for congratulating us Kosovars!
Although I am really happy for my people, elhamdulillah, it will be interesting to see what happens because Kosovo is in a quite scary position to be in, politics and stuff mixed into this all.

But nonetheless, they couldn't have possibly stayed with Serbia anymore.

Syed Saboor, I thought we had discussed this already, stop bashing people, stop looking down at people, stop acting all-knowing.

You are Kashmiri and of course you feel bad 'cause you feel you're people are neglected by the world. But my brother, bear in mind Allah will never forget... There have been many times where I have thought why so concentrated in Kosovo while so many other people suffer even more!? I really hope people would also concentrate on the other things, and I'm really sure many do, but it's not anymore interesting according to the media so that's why it feels like it's forgotten... And that's really sad. But bashing anoher Muslim won't help, we gotta stay strong.

Now if you continue the bashing, you'll be out of here. Now I'm off cleaning this thread.

Intisar
02-17-2008, 06:10 AM
:sl: Bro syed do you really think that your comments are necessary? You do realize that everything that you say will be held accountable by Allaah. No suffering is more important than the other, but like sis Al-Zaara put it, the media likes to knit-pick whatever current affair in the world is happening and it make it more prevalent in the news.

The best thing we can do is become a more unified ummah inshaa Allaah instead of bashing one another.

May Allaah guide us all.

thirdwatch512
02-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Justice for Serbia! Justice for Serbia! Long live Serbia. I love Serbia and the Serbian people.
I love Serbia and the Serbian people too. But, Kosovo still deserved to become its own country!

AvarAllahNoor
02-17-2008, 11:41 AM
They were doing ok, Serbs & Albanians, but Milosevic decided to begin an apartheid. Radicalising Serbs. Stupid move.

Roasted Cashew
02-17-2008, 12:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
They were doing ok, Serbs & Albanians, but Milosevic decided to begin an apartheid. Radicalising Serbs. Stupid move.
Agreed. Stupid move.

Trumble
02-17-2008, 12:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thirdwatch512
I love Serbia and the Serbian people too. But, Kosovo still deserved to become its own country!
A considerable amount of concern exists that that isn't even the ultimate objective, and that after a while the 'independent' Kosovo may opt to be an 'autonomous province' of Albania.

I certainly agree with the general principle that the status of a territory should depend on the wishes of its inhabitants (something that applies far wider than Kosovo) whatever the 'history' might have been. However, there are many potential problems if the Kosovo situation should spark off local successions here, there, and everywhere across Europe, especially in the former Soviet Union. There is also considerable hypocrisy from the nations prepared to recognise Kosovan independence who refuse to recognise claims regarding Georgian provinces whose population is primarily ethnic Russian. Putin is stirring trouble, as always, but he does have a point.

AvarAllahNoor
02-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Obviously i Support the Independence.

But here is a video I came across. Great music (PRAYER?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvgNPga8KIA

Moon*Light
02-17-2008, 02:49 PM
:sl:

Congrats sis al Zaraa, of course we are happy for the people of Kosovo after what happened to them and how much they suffered.

I just have to comment that I'm afraid for Kososvo because the US and Russia seems to disagree on this and when world powers do that it doesn't seem good for the people who are stuck in the middle. Allahu 'Alam

Amadeus85
02-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Cyprus,Russia and China would vote against Kosovo's independence. Spain and Portugal has doubts. And Serbs are very dissapointed about USA and EU that they want to decide about their territory.Kosovo was always serbian province just like Bavaria was german or Peloponez was greek.If Albanians got indpendence in Kosovo they could do the same in lets say Westfalia in next 100 years.

Whatsthepoint
02-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Kosovo reminds me of Israel.
Both Kosovo and Israel have totally changed their demographics in the past 100 years. Majorities have become minorities.
Both Kosovars and Israelis claim their forfathers inhabitated the area thousands of years ago.
Both are backed by the US.:hiding:
Both have means of legitimizing their existence. In Israel it's the terrorists attacks, in Kosovo it's the Serbian violence during the Milosević rule.
And I'm sure there's something else.

AvarAllahNoor
02-17-2008, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Kosovo reminds me of Israel.

Both Kosovo and Israel have totally changed their demographics in the past 100 years.

Majorities have become minorities.

Both Kosovars and Israelis claim their forfathers inhabitated the area thousands of years ago.
Both are backed by the US.:hiding:
Both have means of legitimizing their existence. In Israel it's the terrorists attacks, in Kosovo it's the Serbian violence during the Milosević rule.
And I'm sure there's something else.
Well at least the USA are not as anti muslim as once percieved.

I was reading up on the history of this and found that these Abanians came from Albania, and settled in Kosovo with the Serbs. After time they became a majoirty, and then practically took over the place. Hence resentment from Serbs.

Not sure if this is permissble grounds to take over the land belonging to Serbia. Bit like what the Jews did to Palestinians in Isreal... Though maybe the attrocities carried out by the Serbs was the result of this. Then again, once NATO arrived, Albanians reciporcated by killing Serbs, and they were driven way from their homes.
:confused:

north_malaysian
02-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Indonesia says it does not recognize Kosovo's independence

The Associated Press
Published: February 18, 2008

JAKARTA, Indonesia: Indonesia said Monday it does not recognize Kosovo's declaration of independence, a move that reflects Jakarta's concern that the pronouncement could energize its own separatist movements.

Indonesia, a sprawling country of some 18,000 islands, saw East Timor break away in 1999 and is battling widespread secessionist sentiment in the Papua region and a smaller nonviolent movement in the Maluku islands.

The government said in a statement it regretted Kosovo's unilateral declaration and hoped it would not bring about fresh tension and conflict in the Balkan region. It said U.N.-backed principles of upholding the territorial integrity of developing nations must be supported.

"The government of Indonesia will follow closely developments in Kosovo, but it is not yet in a position to recognize this unilateral declaration of independence," the statement said.

Russia and Serbia have declared Sunday's declaration by the Kosovo parliament illegal and said it could spur independence movements in the region and the world. But most of the 27 nations in the European Union are expected to quickly endorse the pronouncement.

Indonesia, which is home to hundreds of ethic groups, cultures and languages, lost East Timor after a U.N.-organized independence ballot that was bitterly opposed by the country's powerful military.

It is currently battling a ragtag separatist army in eastern Papua region, a mostly Christian part of the overwhelmingly Muslim country that is rich in oil, gas and timber.

Separatists there claim a U.N.-organized vote in 1969 that saw 1,000 hand-picked tribal elders endorse Jakarta rule was a sham.

Government negotiators reached a peace deal with rebels in Aceh province in 2005 ending nearly 30 years of fighting in the oil and gas-rich province on the north of Sumatra island. The deal came after the destruction wrought by the Asian tsunami a year earlier provided an opportunity for both sides to begin talking.

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...sia-Kosovo.php

north_malaysian
02-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Vietnam says against unilateral Kosovo independence

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:58am EST

HANOI (Reuters) - Vietnam, a non-permanent member of the U.N. Security Council, said on Monday it opposed Kosovo's unilateral declaration of independence from Serbia.

U.N. Ambassador Le Luong Minh "reaffirmed Vietnam policy that the fact that Kosovo's unilateral declaration of independence is not a correct implementation of the U.N. Security Council Resolution 1244 and that will only complicate the situation in Kosovo and the Balkan region".

He called for dialogue and peaceful negotiations and said that measures should be taken to prevent possible violence against civilians and U.N. staff in Kosovo, the official Vietnam News Agency reported.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...P3143120080218

north_malaysian
02-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Sri Lanka says Kosovo independence a threat to world peace

18 hours ago

COLOMBO (AFP) — Sri Lanka said Sunday that Kosovo's declaration of independence from Serbia could set an "unmanageable precedent" and threaten world peace.

The Sri Lankan government, which is battling separatist Tamil Tiger rebels, reacted swiftly against Kosovo's independence, which it said was a violation of the United Nations charter.

"This action by Kosovo is a violation of the Charter of the United Nations, which enshrines the sovereignty and territorial integrity of member states," the Sri Lankan foreign ministry said in a statement.

It said Kosovo's action "could set an unmanageable precedent in the conduct of international relations, the established global order of sovereign states and could thus pose a grave threat to international peace and security."

Sri Lanka's government is battling Tamil Tiger guerrillas who are fighting for independence for minority Tamil community in this majority Sinhalese nation of 19.5 million people.

Tens of thousands of people have been killed in Sri Lanka's separatist conflict, which has dragged on for over 35 years and is Asia's longest-running ethnic conflict.

Source: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...cKahijLdiDokqA

north_malaysian
02-18-2008, 12:13 PM
There is no official statement from Malaysian government about independence of Kosova...

But Malaysia has embassy in Belgrade and liaison office in Pristina.

Al-Zaara
02-18-2008, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Moon*Light

Congrats sis al Zaraa, of course we are happy for the people of Kosovo after what happened to them and how much they suffered.

I just have to comment that I'm afraid for Kososvo because the US and Russia seems to disagree on this and when world powers do that it doesn't seem good for the people who are stuck in the middle. Allahu 'Alam
Aleykum selam,

I have my doubts too. Many countries are not accepting this, and that's understandable. I do believe this should have been discussed a little while more at least... Well, I don't know if it would have done any good, as the position was very critical from the start...

Spain and France couldn't accept I think, if they do it could cause more trouble with the Basque. There are quite a lot of places around Europe and the world I believe could cause trouble because of Kosova's independence.

AvarAllahNoor
02-18-2008, 02:17 PM
India or China would not agree either! -

Suomipoika
02-18-2008, 02:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Aleykum selam,

I have my doubts too. Many countries are not accepting this, and that's understandable. I do believe this should have been discussed a little while more at least... Well, I don't know if it would have done any good, as the position was very critical from the start...

Spain and France couldn't accept I think, if they do it could cause more trouble with the Basque. There are quite a lot of places around Europe and the world I believe could cause trouble because of Kosova's independence.
I think France is planning to recognice Kosovo along with most of EU. I hope we start that process soon. Congrats to independent Kosovo. :thumbs_up

AvarAllahNoor
02-18-2008, 02:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/M6x9T3MPvqo

Serb anger over Kosovo declaration - 18 Jan 08 AlJazeeraEnglish

AvarAllahNoor
02-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Russia urges U.N. secretary-general to oppose Kosovo independence
The Associated PressPublished: February

MOSCOW: A senior Russian diplomat urged the U.N. secretary-general on Monday to oppose Kosovo's independence as the Kremlin sought to rally support for its stance, a news agency reported.

Alexander Botsan-Kharchenko, the Foreign Ministry's special envoy to the Balkans, was quoted by the Interfax news agency as saying Moscow expects U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to proceed from an earlier U.N. Security Council Resolution that recognized Kosovo as part of Serbia.

syed saboor
02-18-2008, 02:42 PM
What about the independence of the Kurds! What about the independence of Kashmir! I don't hear anything about that.

Moon*Light
02-18-2008, 03:55 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by al zaraa
True sis because that means some minorities in countries would want their independence too.

Insha'Allah khier.

AvarAllahNoor
02-18-2008, 05:10 PM
THE SIKHS WANT THEIR HOMELAND TOO! NOW! - Will UN/USA/UK Recognise it, huh? huh??

Heera Singh
02-18-2008, 06:16 PM
all countries that have some sort of 'separatist' movement will obviously not support or recognize this action... especially places in eastern europe, and asia... they're all afraid that this will give momentum to all those places who want their own land and gov't...

Heera Singh
02-18-2008, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
THE SIKHS WANT THEIR HOMELAND TOO! NOW! - Will UN/USA/UK Recognise it, huh? huh??
nah... they won't.. cuz they're too 'buddy-buddy' with india.. and if they did support it, it wud ruin their 'ties' wit eachother.. and that means a loss of a LOT of $$$..

AvarAllahNoor
02-18-2008, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Heera Singh
Nah... they won't.. cuz they're too 'buddy-buddy' with india.. and if they did support it, it wud ruin their 'ties' wit eachother.. and that means a loss of a LOT of $$$..
I know. Canada does recognise it, but internaly. They say nothing in public! Are you really in Jamaica? Here in the UK nearly all the Gurdwaras are Pro-Khalistanis. India hates that and try to get Brown to surpress any protests or celebrations of Sant Jarnail Singh Khalsa's birthday, because to them he's a 'terrorist' still goes ahead though. Same in Panjab.

Amadeus85
02-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Dear Sikhs member, please get back to topic :)
The thing about Kosovo is interesting because the major role in Balkans plays Russia.This country controlls the oil and gas suply there and they are against Kosovo.Russia has more to say in Balkans than EU.

Whatsthepoint
02-18-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm happy with the Kosovars, they've been waiting for this moment for decades and they're certainly very happy, they were partying the whole night trough.
The Serbs on the other hand are unhappy... they've vanadalized at least two embassies, two Mc'donald's restaurants, burned hundreds of flags, hurd over 20 policemen, and if the Belgrade authorities hadn't protected the city's mosque, they would have vandalized that too.

I have mixed feelings on the issue. I do support every antion's right to self-determination, but when it comes to immigrants I'm not that sure. Also, I support the existence of Israel and I think there's many parailels between it and Kosovo, so I guess I support Kosovo too.

As someone already said, Kosovo may prove to be a Pandora's box. Not only beacuse it could cause unrest in many parts of teh world but also because it will furtherly radicalize the serbian people and distance them from the EU, making them wanna be friends with Russia (not that there's anything wrong with Russia....)

AvarAllahNoor
02-18-2008, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Dear Sikhs member, please get back to topic :)
The thing about Kosovo is interesting because the major role in Balkans plays Russia.This country controlls the oil and gas suply there and they are against Kosovo.Russia has more to say in Balkans than EU.
The US want a piece now, hence them supporting Kosovo. innit maaan!:D

AvarAllahNoor
02-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Kosovo Serbs have set fire to two border crossings to protest against Kosovo's declaration of independence.
The attacks took place at the northern Jarinje and Banja crossings, manned by United Nations and Kosovo police.

In response, Nato-led peacekeepers were deployed at the crossings

Heera Singh
02-19-2008, 05:37 PM
(yep.. from Jamrock)

so has Kosovo established a rule of government? eceonomy? agriculture? etc... I'm sure i's probably very difficult to establish a newly running government...

crayon
02-19-2008, 06:26 PM
" OTTAWA (AFP) - The government of Canada, which itself has faced two referendums on Quebec sovereignty, is "assessing" Kosovo's unilateral declaration of independence from Serbia, officials said Monday.
ADVERTISEMENT

"We note that the Parliament of Kosovo has adopted a declaration of independence. We are assessing the situation," a foreign affairs department spokesman said in a email to AFP.

"Canada has consistently supported UN efforts to broker a peaceful solution to this question and we encourage all sides to remain calm," he added.

According to pundits, Canada's recognition of Kosovo nationhood could set a dangerous precedent if its French-speaking Quebec province ever voted to separate from Canada.

In 1980 and 1995, Quebec separatists held and lost two referendums on breaking away from Canada. Federalists narrowly won the second ballot.

"Canada is boxed in," Alain Gagnon of the Universite du Quebec in Montreal told AFP.

If Canada "quickly recognizes Kosovo independence," it may be obliged to accept Quebec independence if separatists ever succeed in holding another plebiscite and win, he explained.

Stephane Dion, leader of the opposition Liberals, however, dismissed the contrast and urged Prime Minister Stephen Harper to immediately recognize the new nation of Kosovo.

Meanwhile, in Quebec, separatists welcomed Kosovo independence."

source
Hmmmmmm.
Wonder how this will affect Canada..

AvarAllahNoor
02-19-2008, 07:03 PM
(yep.. from Jamrock)

so has Kosovo established a rule of government? eceonomy? agriculture? etc... I'm sure i's probably very difficult to establish a newly running government.
That's If it gets that far. Russia is on the Serbs side, USA on Kosovos. It'll be a show as they play 'Who's The Leader'

AvarAllahNoor
02-19-2008, 07:34 PM
U.N. police pulled out from a Kosovo border post that was destroyed on Tuesday by Serbs who vowed never to submit to the authority of Kosovo's Albanian government and its Western backers.

Reuters witnesses saw police destroy official documents and remove computers, then leave in a convoy of vehicles escorted by special riot police in armored cars, and the border post known as Gate 3-1 north of the town of Zubin Potok was abandoned.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.