/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is my voice really the voice that I hear?

krypton6
02-16-2008, 11:26 PM
I just heard myself speaking and it doesnt sound as me! Is the voice that I hear when I speak really my voice, do I sound as I hear myself or ...??!

I used the windows soundrecorder and then heard myself speaking, but it doesnt sound anything like me! Please try for yourself and tell me if what you hear from the computer is what you hear yourself.

I thought I could sing!!!:(

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mr. Baldy
02-16-2008, 11:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by krypton6
I just heard myself speaking and it doesnt sound as me! Is the voice that I hear when I speak really my voice, do I sound as I hear myself or ...??!

I used the windows soundrecorder and then heard myself speaking, but it doesnt sound anything like me! Please try for yourself and tell me if what you hear from the computer is what you hear yourself.

when you record your voice it does come out a little higher than usual, but it isnt too different, so to answer your question, that is your voice. windows sound recorder isnt the best application to use to record your singing, and im guessing you have a standard microphone which isnt good for recording either. if you want to record yourself singing properly then i suggest you go to a studio.

krypton6
02-16-2008, 11:50 PM
hmmm... Well my microphone is pretty broken actually but I believe that it was the same I heard with my past microphones (also pretty broken), I think...

Mr. Baldy
02-16-2008, 11:53 PM
well your not gonna get good acoustics in your room for a start and with a rubbish microphone your voice will sound even more dodgy, probably quite high pitched.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
deen_2007
02-16-2008, 11:55 PM
omg i thought i was d only one who thought that .... yeah it does sound weird dsnt it ?

krypton6
02-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Yeh but there must be somethign wrong with the microphone or computer, why would my ear hear it any different than what it is?

Whatsthepoint
02-17-2008, 05:22 PM
It happens to everyone, no matter what device is used to record the voice.

Woodrow
02-17-2008, 05:43 PM

:sl:

simple answer is no.

In fact it is very doubtful any 2 people will hear you exactly the same. Our hearing is somewhat individualized. the process of what we call hearing is very complex and is much more than just simple transmitting of sound waves.

Your voice will differ even to yourself from if you hear it internally as you speak or if you hear a recording of yourself. Even a recording of your voice will sound at least slightly different to each person who hears it.

Using myself as an extreme example. I have very severe tonal deafness and it is a broken rather than continuous deafness. some sounds I hear very well even at low amplitude. Other sounds I can not hear no matter how loud they may be. Most singing I can not hear. Most music instruments I can not hear. With some people I can only hear some words. So you would sound very different to me that you would sound to another person.

sur
02-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Though Microphone & recording systems does change our voice, BUT u r right in that what we hear when we speak, is actually NOT what other hear when we speak.
Reasons r:-
1)our voice is conducted thru AIR to others ; while to our own ears it is conducted thru AIR as well as BONE(skull bones)
2)"Masking Phenomenon" is that when we speak our brain brings sensitivity of our own ears DOWN, so that when someone else is talking along with us, our ears concentrate on others speech more than on our own.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
02-17-2008, 05:52 PM
I always wondered about this aswell, i thought my voice was really cool until I heard it on a recording :(

sur
02-17-2008, 05:55 PM
errrrrrh this bug is really annoying..... :grumbling

krypton6
02-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Well I didnt actually sing, I just spoke and made a few tones and when I played it sounded nothing like me.

I told my sister to try with the same microphone and her voice was also changed, the computer didnt play it as I hear her.

The difference between the way you and I hear something is probably not noticeable so it shouldnt matter too much.

aamirsaab
02-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Don't know about you guys but I always brick it when I hear my own voice. It scares me - I sound like I come from a different ethnic background!

Muezzin
02-19-2008, 11:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Don't know about you guys but I always brick it when I hear my own voice. It scares me - I sound like I come from a different ethnic background!
Namely, dinosaurus.

I'm joking. I wish my voice sounded like a velociraptor from Jurassic Park, rather than this weird, deep auditory monstrosity. Although maybe I could cultivate that into Darth Vader awesomeness...

What's the scientific explanation for this voice discrepancy anyway? Is it something to do with the way we 'hear' our own voices when we speak (i.e. we 'feel' it more than we 'hear' it due to vibrating larynxes)?

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
So you would sound very different to me that you would sound to another person.
wow, is there anyway to hear how i would sound to you?!

i dont think such a sophisticated piece of equipment has been invented yet..

Muezzin
02-19-2008, 11:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
wow, is there anyway to hear how i would sound to you?!

i dont think such a sophisticated piece of equipment has been invented yet..
You could possibly get a state-of-the-art microphone doohickey, then play back the recording on high-end speakers.

Or alternatively, you could plonk your head in the ocean and try to communicate with whales. In French.

krypton6
02-19-2008, 10:29 PM
I went inside a hall today and started speaking and singing, the ekko was the voice I imagined (my voice). You should all try, but this isnt enough prove for me, I need a microphone!

al Amaanah
02-20-2008, 01:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
It happens to everyone, no matter what device is used to record the voice.
exactly.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-30-2011, 10:07 PM
funny thread.

Agreed, voice sounds weird when on microphone/recordings...

Alphadude
03-30-2011, 10:34 PM

i tought i was the only 1 i did few experiments lol and i tryed few recorders the best ones but the weird part is i never sound like me when i am speaking i hear my voice different but when i record it its different dont know why

Little_Lion
03-31-2011, 12:40 AM
It's because of the way your voice resonates in your head, being different than the way it resonates through the air or through a microphone. Even the best microphone cannot pick up your voice as it sounds in your head, because it has to pass through the air first. What YOU hear when you speak, is a mixture of the air moving through your vocal chords, dampened by the muscles in your head, vibrating through the bones in your head, and finally passing through liquid to get to the small bones in your ear, which make your eardrum vibrate, mixed with the actual sound in the air that you created. That's a lot of interference. :) But that is why it sounds different.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-31-2011, 01:27 AM
LOL! I always wonder this too. In fact, its not just the recorder on the PC, but anything. When I hear myself I think I sound like a dude! :( So yea why :s

Muezzin
03-31-2011, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
It's because of the way your voice resonates in your head, being different than the way it resonates through the air or through a microphone. Even the best microphone cannot pick up your voice as it sounds in your head, because it has to pass through the air first. What YOU hear when you speak, is a mixture of the air moving through your vocal chords, dampened by the muscles in your head, vibrating through the bones in your head, and finally passing through liquid to get to the small bones in your ear, which make your eardrum vibrate, mixed with the actual sound in the air that you created.
Wow.

That's a lot of interference. :) But that is why it sounds different.
The way I hear my voice in my head sounds better than the way it sounds when recorded.

Zuzubu
03-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Hearing myself in a video sounds very diffrent yes. People say I got a very deep voice, but when I speak, it sounds normal. :O

We hear our voice very diffrently.

GuestFellow
03-31-2011, 07:13 PM
lol This topic is really old.

I recorded my own voice on my mobile phone...I sound like a stalker. O_O

Little_Lion
03-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Hehehe, I noticed it was a necro-thread, but it's a common question. My first time through college was for radio engineering, and when everything was computerized and radio engineers weren't needed any more, I ended up on the air for several years. We'd have people who owned local businesses come in and record commercials, and at least once a week someone was completely freaked out at how they sounded recorded. I had more than one person demand that I "make them sound right". :lol:

Revert 2010
03-31-2011, 07:42 PM
I probably sound like Hugh Grant when I hear myself back lol

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-31-2011, 07:44 PM
Who cares if its old lol :P

Hannah.
03-31-2011, 07:52 PM
My brother and I used to sound EXACTLY the same when on the phone and everyone used
to get confused as to who was who. Thankfully he's had his voice broken and now sounds like
a normal man. x)

Zuzubu
03-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Ya so what if the topic is old?

His mic is old too.

Guest how does a stalker sound like? Funny definition.

Actually I did the same lion, I dont sound that cool when singing, so I recorded it on my mic, then used FL studio and changed my voice, then I published it. hahahahah.

See this video from 1:41 to 2:24. It sounds very diffrent from my real voice. LINK CONTAINS MUSIC, but drums

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-31-2011, 08:14 PM
^Lol i actually discovered this thread, didnt know you would all follow me :-\

messing

GuestFellow
03-31-2011, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zuzubu
Ya so what if the topic is old?
[/URL]
I like to point out the obvious. :p:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.