/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and Slavery

Daanish
02-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Hello, this is my first post so go easy on me if i make any mistakes.

My question is what does Islam have to say about the horrible act of slavery and slave trading of any sort.

I am a strong believer in equality and freedom for each individual being on this planet (past, present, or future).

Also, what does Islam have to say about racism and hatred towards different cultures.

(Just in case : I'm not implying, blaming or pointing fingers at anyone of any religion or race.)

Daanish:D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
02-17-2008, 09:20 PM
don't know about slavery (it was allowed but there were laws regarding it), but here's a quote from the prophet's last sermon that should answer your second question
"All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over a white - except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood."

Umar001
02-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Just going to point out that words contain/have connotations or baggage.

Slavery should not be thought of as the same everywhere.

When we think of slavery we thinking of the horrible images seen in the pictures of the black people and their torture. That is what slavery means to some extent to us. But that is only a form of slavery we have unfourtunetly come across in history.

FatimaAsSideqah
02-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Hello to Daanish.

When Islam was reveled to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), slavery was a worldwide common social phenomenon; it was much older than Islam. Slavery was deeply rooted in every society to the extent that it was impossible to imagine a civilized society without slaves. In spite of this social fact, Islam was the first religion to recognize slavery as a social illness that needed to be addressed. Since slavery was deeply rooted in the society, Islam did not abolish it at once. Rather, Islam treated slavery in the same manner it treated other social illnesses. Islam followed the same methodology of gradual elimination in dealing with this social disease as it did with other social illnesses, for example: the prohibition of alcohol in three steps.

From the early days of the message, Islam declared the equality of all human beings, including slaves; equality in origin, equality in values, equality in destiny. Under this declaration, for the first time ever, slaves became brothers and sisters of their masters in the Islamic Ummah (community). In al-Bukhari, it was reported that the Prophet said:

"Your servants and your slaves are your brothers. Anyone who has slaves should give them from what he eats and wears. He should not charge them with work beyond their capabilities. If you must set them to hard work, in any case, I advise you to help them."

Islam forbade the traditional practice of enslaving free individuals by capturing them and selling them into slavery. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

"There are three categories of people against whom I myself shall be a plaintiff on the Day of Judgment. Of those three, one is he who enslaves free men, then sells him and eats this money…"

Sister Fatima

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Check these links:

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...3-slavery.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/127186-post2.html

Keltoi
02-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Islam as a religion might have frowned upon slavery in word, but Muslims were deeply involved in the slave trade, the same as almost everyone else in the past. It was about money, as most evils are.

aamirsaab
02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Islam as a religion might have frowned upon slavery in word, but Muslims were deeply involved in the slave trade, the same as almost everyone else in the past. It was about money, as most evils are.
Indeed. Islam actually gave the slaves rights and then went on to later abolish it (it was done through gradual stages)

- Qatada -
02-18-2008, 04:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
As for the treatment of slaves, let's survey here some of the rules laid down by Islam to ensure a decent and kind treatment for them.

1/ Giving them the same food and clothing as taken by their masters

Abu Dawood reports on the authority of Al-Ma'roor bin Suwaid that he said : "We entered Abu Thar's house at Al-Ribthah [7] and found him dressed in a garment called 'burd', and found his slave dressed in an identical 'burd'. So we said : ' Why don't you, 0 Abu Thar, wear that 'burd' of your slaves so that you may have a full suit, and give him instead a less sumptuous garment ?' He replied : 'I heard the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings of God be upon him say :

" Those slaves are your brothers, only God gave you an upper hand over them. So let that who has his brother (i.e. slave) under him give him the same food he himself eats, and the same clothing as he himself wears. The master may not give his brother a task that is beyond his ability. If he does give him such task, let him lend him a hand.".

Sahih Bukhari, Belief, Volume 1, Book 2, Number 29

2/ Recognizing their dignity

Abu Hurairah narrates that the Prophet of Repentance (i.e. Prophet Muhammad) said :

" Any one who slanders his slave with adultery, and it is a false charge, will receive on the Day of Resurrection the same punishment his slave would have received in the world had the charge been true." [8]

Abdul-Lah bin 'Umar freed a slave of his then picked a twig from the ground and said:

" I shall not receive for freeing him the worth of this in the Hereafter. I heard the Messenger of Allah say : ' If a man hits or beats his slave, his atonement is the freeing of that slave."[9]

3/ A slave is given the lead in religious or mundane matters which he is skilful at.

He can be imam (i.e. to lead the prayer). Aishah had a slave who led her prayer. The believers are even ordered to heed and obey if a slave becomes their ruler, so long as he proves to be better qualified than others.

More info:
http://www.load-islam.com/artical_de...Misconceptions

7 A village in the suburbs of Al-Madinah. 8 Reported by Al-Bukhari. 9 Reported by Muslim and Abu Dawood.

You can also read:

Islam & Slavery

http://www.islamonline.net/fatwaappl...hFatwaID=20686

- Qatada -
02-18-2008, 04:59 PM
:salamext:

Looking at the first hadith - Prophetic narration, it becomes clear that slaves aren't infact slaves, they're exactly like your brothers. Giving them the same food you eat and the same clothes that you wear, while giving them help in the work that they do for you - this is better than being a servant even in todays times.

Regarding racism, as snakelegs quoted, the final Messenger of God, Muhammad (peace be upon him) said [translation of the meaning]:

"All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over a white - except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood."

[Sahih Muslim]

Peace.

Keltoi
02-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Like I said before, the words contained in the Quran don't always equal those words being put into practice. Arabs were very involved with the slave trade, and they weren't treated like a long lost brother either. Granted, most of the activity involving Arab slavers had to do with capture and sale to foreign interests, not necessarily their own personal use.

vpb
02-18-2008, 10:04 PM
:sl:

i think there's a mistake on the title. it should be slavery.

rabarbara2008
02-19-2008, 09:49 AM
good topic. I really like it to gain knowledge form such interesting discussions. slavery is something we don't think about much these days, so to read about it is refreshing.

Muezzin
02-19-2008, 09:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
:sl:

i think there's a mistake on the title. it should be slavery.
Fixed it like a turbo-powered handyman.

good ol' faith
02-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Well, The bible says something about slavery. Hang on
*gets bible out*

1 Timothy 6:1
All those who are under the yoke of slavery must have unqualified respect for their masters, so that the name of God and our teaching is not brought into disrepute.

Tt 2:9
Slaves must be obedient to their masters in everything, and do what is wanted without argument.

Tt 2:10
And there must be no pilfering.

They must show complete honesty at all times...

...so that they are a credit in every way to the teaching of God our Saviour.

1 Peter 2:18
Slaves, you should obey your masters respectfully, not only those who are kind and reasonable but also those who are difficult to please.

1 Corinthians 7:21
Even if you have a chance of freedom...

...you should prefer to make full use of your condition as a slave.

I do hope this is relevant.

vpb
02-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Fixed it like a turbo-powered handyman.
CORE DUO ?? :p

Daanish
04-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Sorry i took so long to reply, but i had been researching.

So, i have been reading all of your replies over and over again, and you all seem to be saying that Islam provided slaves with rights and tried to solve a social problem that had been there before Islam. But seriously don't take this to heart but do you guys know what the word "OXYMORON" means. By saying that Islam provided SLAVES with RIGHTS that is one of the biggest contradictions i have ever heard. If you provided a salve with rights it would not be a slave anymore that is agreeable right? Because you can never give a person half of the rights.

Also another point many of you are making is the fact that freeing all of the slaves would have destroyed the economy and created a large number of beggars, that is why Mohamed did not solve the problem immediately. Okay then let me get this straight he was willing to sacrifice a HUGE number of people's rights just so the rich and middle class could feed there families and would not have to pay workers and feed the poor.

Many of you will make the argument that this was a problem at the time and that a solution like that is a very modern thinking style, so if you make that argument are you admitting to the fact that Islam (which is a 110% perfect religion, according to Muslims) did not have an answer to solve this problem as well. If it does have a solution why was it not implemented immediately.

That is all i will say for now, if you cannot answer my answer so please do not give me an answer that has nothing to do with this topic.

Sorry if i have offended someone but a broken heart can never amount to a wasted life.

Daanish.

p.s. I will be posting more questions relating parent-child relations towards Religion or Non Religion choices of the child.(Do not answer this parent-child question yet.) But feel free to reply the above inquiries. :statisfie

Daanish
04-02-2008, 11:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by good ol' faith
Well, The bible says something about slavery. Hang on
*gets bible out*

1 Timothy 6:1
All those who are under the yoke of slavery must have unqualified respect for their masters, so that the name of God and our teaching is not brought into disrepute.

Tt 2:9
Slaves must be obedient to their masters in everything, and do what is wanted without argument.

And there must be no pilfering.

They must show complete honesty at all times...

...so that they are a credit in every way to the teaching of God our Saviour.

1 Peter 2:18
Slaves, you should obey your masters respectfully, not only those who are kind and reasonable but also those who are difficult to please.

Even if you have a chance of freedom...

...you should prefer to make full use of your condition as a slave.

I do hope this is relevant.
SORRY "ol' Faith" but i couldn't resist. Reading your reply has made me confused, are you saying that Christianity SUPPORTS slavery because that would be atrocious and disgusting.:enough!:

But seriously after i post this you will probably prove me wrong so i will not make any assumptions unless if i have to:X.

Happily awaiting your reply. Sorry if i take long to reply, its because i am currently busy with trying to make a smooth transition from High School to University.

Take Care!

Arigato gosaimasu! :statisfie

Yanal
04-03-2008, 02:06 AM
Asalam alaykum.
Well we isn't the correct word. Because many of us are going to reply in our opinion.So i will say I am speaking for myself.
We do consider racism to be a cruel action to be commiting but people do that, even muslims( terriosts as muslims more likely). I do not think anyone has the right to be racism against other culture and religons even if they have the wrong religon.
That is only my opinion.
Khudafiz
Sincerly, ****

aamirsaab
04-03-2008, 10:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daanish
Many of you will make the argument that this was a problem at the time and that a solution like that is a very modern thinking style, so if you make that argument are you admitting to the fact that Islam (which is a 110% perfect religion, according to Muslims) did not have an answer to solve this problem as well. If it does have a solution why was it not implemented immediately.
Righty-Ohhhhh!

The thing with slavery was that it was very common in the arab world (before, during and after the Islamic period). What Islam did first and foremost was give them rights (this was a huge thing back then considering slaves were treated really badly) - they were more of servants as opposed to what we usually think of as slaves in terms of their rights, how they were treated and so on and so forth. To completely eradicate slavery would have taken time any attempt to do it immediately would not have yielded the ideal result (i.e NO SLAVERY)- it's pretty much the same deal with alcohol prohibition and it's interesting to note that where an instant prohibition was tried, it didn't work (America ----> moonshine, gangster era etc). In contrast, the Islamic ruling on alcohol went through stages and worked. So in a similar way, the ruling to slavery came about.

One important thing to note was that free men at the time could not be made into slaves and that slaves could become free men (I'm not 100% sure as to what they had to do to achieve this tho).

Now to readress the point about not immediate eradication. The people would not have accepted it (remember, slavery was almost like a cultural/traditional thing at the time - to change that one would have to take baby-steps to convince those carried it out; the first baby step was giving them rights - essentially turning them from slave to servant). The solution had to be progressive because of the situation.

Froggy
02-28-2010, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Righty-Ohhhhh!

The thing with slavery was that it was very common in the arab world (before, during and after the Islamic period). What Islam did first and foremost was give them rights (this was a huge thing back then considering slaves were treated really badly) - they were more of servants as opposed to what we usually think of as slaves in terms of their rights, how they were treated and so on and so forth. To completely eradicate slavery would have taken time any attempt to do it immediately would not have yielded the ideal result (i.e NO SLAVERY)- it's pretty much the same deal with alcohol prohibition and it's interesting to note that where an instant prohibition was tried, it didn't work (America ----> moonshine, gangster era etc). In contrast, the Islamic ruling on alcohol went through stages and worked. So in a similar way, the ruling to slavery came about.

One important thing to note was that free men at the time could not be made into slaves and that slaves could become free men (I'm not 100% sure as to what they had to do to achieve this tho).

Now to readress the point about not immediate eradication. The people would not have accepted it (remember, slavery was almost like a cultural/traditional thing at the time - to change that one would have to take baby-steps to convince those carried it out; the first baby step was giving them rights - essentially turning them from slave to servant). The solution had to be progressive because of the situation.
Islam abolished alcohol in a single generation, yet slavery and slave trade remained widespread until the 19th century. Why is that?

جوري
02-28-2010, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Froggy
Islam abolished alcohol in a single generation, yet slavery and slave trade remained widespread until the 19th century. Why is that?
It is easier to give up smoking than your wife!

Froggy
02-28-2010, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
It is easier to give up smoking than your wife!
Still, if what aamirsab is saying is true, slavery in the Muslim world would have been abolished in a century or two, but it lasted for over a millennium.

aamirsaab
02-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Slavery and alcohol are two different things - the former being a type of global trade and the latter being an addictive intoxicant.

To modernise the example, try eliminating interest in the UK. It's going to take some time whatever method you do.

Note: the important thing isn't how long it takes to prohibit something. Better to take your time and eliminate it totally, than to rush it and **** it all up.

جوري
02-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Still, if what aamirsab is saying is true, slavery in the Muslim world would have been abolished in a century or two, but it lasted for over a millennium.
How would you know how long it should take? You didn't have slavery in the west not 60 years ago?
did you not have a black woman in jail for failure to give up her seat to a white man?

funny stuff!

Froggy
02-28-2010, 07:37 PM
How would you know how long it should take? You didn't have slavery in the west not 60 years ago?
did you not have a black woman in jail for failure to give up her seat to a white man?

funny stuff!
Well I don't but if the aim of a religion was to stop slavery and said religion is perfect in its methods it shouldnt have taken a millenium and it would have lasted longer if Europe didn't abolish slavery and fought for the abolition elswehere.
No, I believe my people never had slaves, they were slaves actually, even the demonym is derived from latin for slave.

جوري
02-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Well I don't but if the aim of a religion was to stop slavery and said religion is perfect in its methods it shouldnt have taken a millenium and it would have lasted longer if Europe didn't abolish slavery and fought for the abolition elswehere.
No, I believe my people never had slaves, they were slaves actually, even the demonym is derived from latin for slave.
Religious doctrines are instituted by men, no matter how perfect will be subject to human error.. I find that whole Europe abolishing and fighting to abolish elsewhere kind of funny.. I think there are multiple forms of subjugation, slavery and racism, not letting a scarved school girl on a bus is certainly one of them. So I'd really let go of that if you wanted to let your case have some credence.

Slavery was never a 'color' race thing in Islam.. as evidenced:

“And We have not sent you (O Muhammad) except as a bearer of glad tidings and a Warner to all mankind, but most of people know not.” (Quran 34:28)
Bilal the Abyssinian

One of the first to accept Islam was an Abyssinian slave named Bilal. Traditionally, black Africans were a lowly people in the sight of Arabs who thought them to be of little use beyond entertainment and slavery. When Bilal embraced Islam, his pagan master had him brutally tortured in the scorching desert heat until Abu Bakr, the Prophet’s closest friend, rescued him by buying his freedom.
The Prophet appointed Bilal to call the believers to prayer. The athan heard from minarets in every corner of the world since, echoes the exact same words recited by Bilal. Thus, a onetime lowly slave won a unique honor as Islam’s first muezzin.
“And indeed We have honored the Children of Adam...” (Quran 17:70)
Western romantics hail ancient Greece as being the birthplace of democracy.[4] The reality was that, as slaves and women, the vast majority of Athenians were denied the right to elect their rulers. Yet, Islam ordained that a slave could himself be ruler! The Prophet ordered:
“Obey your ruler even if he be an Abyssinian slave.” (Ahmad)

all the best

Froggy
02-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Religious doctrines are instituted by men, no matter how perfect will be subject to human error.. I find that whole Europe abolishing and fighting to abolish elsewhere kind of funny.. I think there are multiple forms of subjugation, slavery and racism, not letting a scarved school girl on a bus is certainly one of them. So I'd really let go of that if you wanted to let your case have some credence.

Slavery was never a 'color' race thing in Islam.. as evidenced:

“And We have not sent you (O Muhammad) except as a bearer of glad tidings and a Warner to all mankind, but most of people know not.” (Quran 34:28)
Bilal the Abyssinian

One of the first to accept Islam was an Abyssinian slave named Bilal. Traditionally, black Africans were a lowly people in the sight of Arabs who thought them to be of little use beyond entertainment and slavery. When Bilal embraced Islam, his pagan master had him brutally tortured in the scorching desert heat until Abu Bakr, the Prophet’s closest friend, rescued him by buying his freedom.
The Prophet appointed Bilal to call the believers to prayer. The athan heard from minarets in every corner of the world since, echoes the exact same words recited by Bilal. Thus, a onetime lowly slave won a unique honor as Islam’s first muezzin.
“And indeed We have honored the Children of Adam...” (Quran 17:70)
Western romantics hail ancient Greece as being the birthplace of democracy.[4] The reality was that, as slaves and women, the vast majority of Athenians were denied the right to elect their rulers. Yet, Islam ordained that a slave could himself be ruler! The Prophet ordered:
“Obey your ruler even if he be an Abyssinian slave.” (Ahmad)

all the best
1. As stated, my ancestors never owned slaves nor practiced any form of segregation, so I can criticize slavery all I want without feeling any guilt.
2. Whether Islamic slavery put emphasis on skin color has no relevance to this conversation.

جوري
02-28-2010, 08:02 PM
1. As stated, my ancestors never owned slaves nor practiced any form of segregation, so I can criticize slavery all I want without feeling any guilt.
2. Whether Islamic slavery put emphasis on skin color has no relevance to this conversation.
And I am comfortable with Islamic stance which was created to abolish slavery, however long it took!

Froggy
02-28-2010, 08:08 PM
And I am comfortable with Islamic stance which was created to abolish slavery, however long it took!
Islamic slave trade was widespread even a millennium after the founding of Islam, slavery wasn't decreasing in any way, rather new people were enslaved constantly.

CosmicPathos
02-28-2010, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daanish
Hello, this is my first post so go easy on me if i make any mistakes.

My question is what does Islam have to say about the horrible act of slavery and slave trading of any sort.

I am a strong believer in equality and freedom for each individual being on this planet (past, present, or future).

Also, what does Islam have to say about racism and hatred towards different cultures.

(Just in case : I'm not implying, blaming or pointing fingers at anyone of any religion or race.)

Daanish:D
hey, you apostatized from islam? Daanish is the name of Muslims, usually.

aamirsaab
02-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Islamic slave trade was widespread even a millennium after the founding of Islam, slavery wasn't decreasing in any way, rather new people were enslaved constantly.
Blame the slave masters then. Islam really couldn't have done anything more to curtail slavery. If slave masters were slow to take heed, the fault lies with them, not Islam.

Froggy
02-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Blame the slave masters then. Islam really couldn't have done anything more to curtail slavery. If slave masters were slow to take heed, the fault lies with them, not Islam.
Of course it could have done more. For instance, a little verse like "don't enslave new people" would have made all the difference in the world. Islam managed to prohibirt alcohol, it says clearly that it is haraam. If Islam really wanted to abolish slavery in time and it is a perfect religion of perfect means it would have happened.

CosmicPathos
02-28-2010, 08:18 PM
"Islamic" slave trade has nothing to do with Islam. Rather than calling it Islamic, why dont you call it Muslim. Just like how we do not say Islamic scientists of the golden age, rather Muslim scientists of the golden age. Idiot. Slavery is still present in the Gulf countries which claim to be Islamic. Go and see the conditions of South Asian workers there, worse than slavery.

Anyways, whatever Muslims did or not later on, it does not have any effect on what Prophet or his companions did, which was same or extremely close to Islamic principles revealed in Quran.

Froggy
02-28-2010, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
Islamic slave trade has nothing to do with Islam. Slavery is still present in the Gulf countries which claim to be Islamic. Go and see the conditions of South Asian workers there, worse than slavery.

Anyways, whatever Muslims did or not later on, it does not have any effect on what Prophet or his companions did, which was same or extremely close to Islamic principles revealed in Quran.
Islam does say kaffirs can be enslaved in war time and perhaps even outside that.

aamirsaab
02-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Of course it could have done more. For instance, a little verse like "don't enslave new people" would have made all the difference in the world. Islam managed to prohibirt alcohol, it says clearly that it is haraam. If Islam really wanted to abolish slavery in time and it is a perfect religion of perfect means it would have happened.
It told the people to free slaves. What more is needed? Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to the face?

Uthman
02-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Greetings,
Of course it could have done more. For instance, a little verse like "don't enslave new people" would have made all the difference in the world.
"There are three people whose prayers are not accepted. And one of these three is a man who enslaves a free person (Rajulun iitabada muharraran)" (Sunan Abî Dawûd)

Did you check out this thread?

Froggy
02-28-2010, 08:24 PM
It told the people to free slaves. What more is needed? Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to the face?
What more is needed. A ban to new enslavements. That way Islam would have abolished slavery once the living ones died. Because it doesn't prohibit enslavement, Islamic slave trade was incredibly widespread, more than any other probably. And they sold their slaves to non-Muslims which are not bound by Islamic rules of slave owning, but thats not what I want to taljk about.

جوري
02-28-2010, 08:25 PM
and what would you like me to do about that? folks don't always follow their creed!

Froggy
02-28-2010, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
Greetings, "There are three people whose prayers are not accepted. And one of these three is a man who enslaves a free person (Rajulun iitabada muharraran)" (Sunan Abî Dawûd)

Did you check out this thread?
What constitues a free person? A free anyone or a free Muslim?

CosmicPathos
02-28-2010, 08:27 PM
;D

10 charc

Froggy
03-01-2010, 03:31 PM
and what would you like me to do about that? folks don't always follow their creed!
enslavement is the creed, that's what I'm trying to say.

جوري
03-01-2010, 05:16 PM
enslavement is the creed, that's what I'm trying to say.
You are unstudied so naturally you write many wrong things..

BTW are you our dearly departed member whatisthepoint reincarnated?
hopefully a mod can do some IP comparison!

all the best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.