/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is the View? HELP.

------
02-17-2008, 01:11 PM
:salamext:

What is the Islamic view on Counselling? Or we allowed to see one? Or become one?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
02-17-2008, 04:48 PM

Anyone?

sur
02-17-2008, 04:53 PM
i know Quran orders prophet to take decisions after consulting so i think this actually recommends profession of "Counselling".

Cabdullahi
02-17-2008, 04:58 PM
i think counselling is a very interesting job,i dont think its haram in fact its really good and you could benefit people especially muslims as long as u listen to both parties and help both with problems like marriage the obvious plus use the shariah and sunnah and quran as a manual to guide always refering back and forth to come to resolute and islamic decision

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
02-17-2008, 05:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

What is the Islamic view on Counselling? Or we allowed to see one? Or become one?
AssalamuAlaykum

Sis I'm only a text away *grin*...you can be my first client...pay me in sweets and it'll be kool! lol

WassalamuAlaykum

P.S Why wouldnt you be allowed to talk your problems over with somebody in Islam?

mohsen1985
02-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Nothing against it in Islam, we got them here for free! Some government service

------
02-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Why wouldnt you be allowed to talk your problems over with somebody in Islam?
I dunno....I mean what if u need to talk to a counsellor and there is only a man counsellor available? That wouldn't be allowed would it, if you are female?

chacha_jalebi
02-17-2008, 05:06 PM
i believe its like a dr innit, like the ulama say you can see a male dr if needed

same should be with counselling, its like seeking advice, and you should seek advice from the person who is best qualified to give it :D

get meee

Re.TiReD
02-17-2008, 05:08 PM

I dunno....I mean what if u need to talk to a counsellor and there is only a man counsellor available? That wouldn't be allowed would it, if you are female?
AssalamuAlaykum

Nope...although there are cases where you can take somebody into the counselling room with you, but I guess that would only work if it was marriage counselling, otherwise it'd be kinda akward...It depends..you can get a counsellor on the NHS and I think you can choose... i.e. weather you want a male or a female..end of day its haram to be alone with a non-mahrem no matter what the reason...

Hmm you actually made me think there...about becoming one I mean...As a counsellor I think it's be mighty unprofessional to pick and choose clients based on gender...Hmm I wonder how a Muslimah counsellor would get over that one...? Wallahu A'lam

WassalamuAlaykum

sur
02-17-2008, 05:18 PM

it's similar thing as asked in other thread"can male teacher teach females" & we replied that Prophet used to talk to females & sometimes on private issues..... similarly Wives of Prophet have narrated many Ahadees on private issues to other "MEN" ....

Re.TiReD
02-17-2008, 05:27 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Oh yeah...that slipped my mind...JazakAllah khayr brother Chacha and Akhee Sur ...It'd be great to get a scholarly opinion on that though...anybody?

WassalamuAlaykum

Woodrow
02-17-2008, 05:31 PM

:w:

I think first we need to define what you mean by counselling and counselors.

some fields of counselling are:

Business
Sprititual
Psychiatric
Educational
Religious (general)
Religious (name the religion)
Marital
financial
recreational
Agricultural
Military

the list can go on for a long length.

Re.TiReD
02-17-2008, 05:40 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Wow amazing! Isnt there a 'general' category though...? For example counsellors working at a students union at a university would be what? Education counsellors? Would that counsellor be defined by the clients they help? Because they don't really have a choice in what sort of problems they have to deal with do they? i.e. weather or not the actual problem is based on a students educational experience...Hmm...am I making sense?

I think the sister means a counsellor in general...But a Muslim one who could give advice from an Islamic perspective...which is in itself a contradiction as the role of the counsellor is to help the client resolve his/her problems rather than give advice...Professional counselling that is.

WassalamuAlaykum

------
02-17-2008, 06:58 PM

I meant general counselling, not religious lol.

snakelegs
02-17-2008, 08:04 PM
i think a lot of women would much rather talk to a woman than a man.
but the gender issue is all the more reason why muslim women should go in to the field.

sur
02-18-2008, 03:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i think a lot of women would much rather talk to a woman than a man.
but the gender issue is all the more reason why muslim women should go in to the field.
very right. Likewise muslim women should be encouraged & facilitated to join Medical field in general.

------
02-18-2008, 10:46 AM

So we're allowed right? Either way?

IbnAbdulHakim
02-18-2008, 11:14 AM
the best councellor is a muslim scholar.

correct me if im wrong

Assalamu Alaikum

Re.TiReD
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

I'd have to disagree with the brother there ^^^ counselling is a skill...It takes masha'Allah one person to have an amazing amount of knowledge regarding the deen, but it takes another to have the skill to counsel and help people come to terms with their problems, it would be great if a scholar was a counsellor also...but it shouldnt be assumed that they have the skills just because they have the 'Ilm...Wallahu A'lam thats just my 2 rupees.

WassalamuAlaykum

IbnAbdulHakim
02-18-2008, 02:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ...54M4K4H...
AssalamuAlaykum

I'd have to disagree with the brother there ^^^ counselling is a skill...It takes masha'Allah one person to have an amazing amount of knowledge regarding the deen, but it takes another to have the skill to counsel and help people come to terms with their problems, it would be great if a scholar was a counsellor also...but it shouldnt be assumed that they have the skills just because they have the 'Ilm...Wallahu A'lam thats just my 2 rupees.

WassalamuAlaykum
lol have you seen islamqa sis? it seems every scholar has the beautiful ability of councelling.

Re.TiReD
02-18-2008, 02:29 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Sure I have...but not all can counsel and give advice as good as others...All of them can have the 'Ilm but they'll all sympathise in different ways and have different veiws, sometimes its not enough for a person to hear the Islamic take on things....they want and need genuine sympathy, but I guess we're all different and have our preferences. I mean ask Z...Something he said Masha'Allah made me think about the scholars and the different levels they're at in terms of explaining things to others and helping them with personal matters. I'm not judging them but as always its just an opinion.

WassalamuAlaykum

IbnAbdulHakim
02-18-2008, 04:13 PM
^ you know what the thing is, if you go to someone who doesnt understand islaam well for councelling he may give you advice which will lead you astray. but the one with islamic knowledge will always take the boundaries into consideration...

Assalamu Alaikum

anonymous
02-19-2008, 10:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

correct me if im wrong

Assalamu Alaikum
I could not agree more!:sunny:

AssalamuAlaykum

sometimes its not enough for a person to hear the Islamic take on things....they want and need genuine sympathy,
im not so sure whats more comforting than an islamic point of view :sunny: its beautiful.

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 10:42 AM
^ you know what the thing is, if you go to someone who doesnt understand islaam well for councelling he may give you advice which will lead you astray. but the one with islamic knowledge will always take the boundaries into consideration...

Assalamu Alaikum
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
I could not agree more!:sunny:

im not so sure whats more comforting than an islamic point of view :sunny: its beautiful.
AssalamuAlaykum

LOL! I'm not putting the Islamic point of view down at all...you misunderstand me, I'm actually talking about the person carrying out the counselling...weather or not they have the skills is in no way dependant upon their 'Ilm of the deen as they are two different branches of knowledge altogether...

WassalamuAlaykum

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 10:43 AM
AssalamuAlaykum

LOL! I'm not putting the Islamic point of view down at all...you misunderstand me, I'm actually talking about the person carrying out the counselling...weather or not they have the skills is in no way dependant upon their 'Ilm of the deen as they are two different branches of knowledge altogether...

WassalamuAlaykum
ad-deen un naseeha , if you cant help out a brother or sister in need how has your knowledge helped you?!

get me?!

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 10:46 AM
ad-deen un naseeha , if you cant help out a brother or sister in need how has your knowledge helped you?!

get me?!
AssalamuAlaykum

If you're not the sort of person who can sympathise with others or relate to them well...or you feel you cannot empathise...or find the words to make them feel better and help them...

Not talking about anybody in particular but...

Grr forget it.

WassalamuAlaykum

anonymous
02-19-2008, 10:46 AM
AssalamuAlaykum

LOL! I'm not putting the Islamic point of view down at all...
i didnt say you were :sunny:

weather or not they have the skills is in no way dependant upon their 'Ilm of the deen as they are two different branches of knowledge altogether...

WassalamuAlaykum
but I think they come very well together. :sunny:

Gnerally speaking, i dont mean to say that couselling, etc is in anyway a bad or haram thing or anything, and that it shouldnt be studied/ practised.

:sl:

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 10:47 AM
AssalamuAlaykum

Grr forget it.

WassalamuAlaykum
agreed !

anyway, most scholars are people with gentle hearts, they love the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam and follow him, and we all know what a great councellor he was.
mashaAllah

sur
02-21-2008, 01:47 AM

correct me if im wrong

Assalamu Alaikum
If u indulge me, i can shower absurdities & mis-guidences of many "Very Very respcted & trusted" "scholars"............. & my point in saying this is that we should no doubt listen to scholars BUT not believe them blindly & should cross check their "sayings" from Qur'aan & Sunnah. Because in the long run it's Allah & HIS prophet's sunnah that'll salvage us, NOT scholars.

snakelegs
02-21-2008, 02:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
very right. Likewise muslim women should be encouraged & facilitated to join Medical field in general.
i couldn't agree more. i am always happy to see a muslim woman entering any medical field - the need is great.

anonymous
02-21-2008, 07:50 AM
do you even know what a scholar is? what responsibiltites they take on? how much of their time, effort and commtment they put it?

& my point in saying this is that we should no doubt listen to scholars BUT not believe them blindly & should cross check their "sayings" from Qur'aan & Sunnah.
how on earth are we going to do that when we are "laymens" ourselves. 'Do your own reasearch,' i hear you say. if so, well how on earth do i do that if i disregard the scholars whom i need as my teachers. :rolleyes:

Because in the long run it's Allah & HIS prophet's sunnah that'll salvage us, NOT scholars.
oh, puhlease!!!! the scholars (thereliable ones im refering to here-not the ones that give an opinion according to 'this day and age' etc) follow Allah and his prophets sunnah. How on earth i am going to be left to interpret the quran and haidth to my own accrd when i have no way to go about it. thats what the scholars are there for. obviously not everyone has the mental capcity to become a schoar to 'check' how 'correct' thier opinions are.

got a qn for you, bro sur, though: if you ever become a scholar, why should anyone follow/trust you, considering you can barely trust anyone else. It sounds like your going to have your own methodology. Why should i take your opinion, Why should you be trusted.

The Ruler
02-21-2008, 01:01 PM

The women in the days of the Prophet (saw) asked counselling from him. I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed now.

Besides, isn't there a hadith that says that there is no shyness when it comes to religion? Or something along the lines of that?

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.