/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the Unity?, Piety Vs Culture

Ferrari1981
02-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Ok someone just randomly asked me a question and to be honest I aint gotta clue how to answer so I leave it to you folks!

Need some info: where to be directed?

"Whats the chances of a pious Pakistani boy marrying a pious Gujarati Surti girl (UK), (according to some sources) apparently surtis look down on Pakistanis and that South Africans are more open minded on this matter, what do you think?!?"

People say if you get rejected you should quit and marry your own kind, but why? Anything is attainable if you work for it, nothing is impossible. Dreams are there to give you an idea about what you want/need in the future so why give up on them if one nation says no, wheres the unity in Muslims today...

Responses so far:
Toronto, ON
my opinion, it doesnt matter if the boy and girl are pious, man its this stupid cultural boundary for guji's, u only marry another guji.. thas what thier parents say.. iunno if any1 else has it any dif, but my guess is that there is very lil chance of a pakistani of marrying a guji, only way it can happen is if the parents are open mindded or u really impress them.

UK Memi
to a certain extent i agree with Toronto, ON, it is just a cultural thing. but i wouldnt generalise to say that all surti's look down on pakistani's wen it comes to marriage because i hav seen guji's getting married to pakistani's and parents r fine with it. it depends on individual families and what they value more - their piety or their culture.

London Dedat
I say it's a bit of both...... my dad has given me free reign to marry whomever I choose (as long as he's muslim of course). My mother says you should marry your own kind... Maybe I have the best of both worlds...

More responses to come...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ferrari1981
02-18-2008, 05:13 PM
United States, North America
i think there's a chance because all pakistanis and all gujaratis don't see the need to fight over who's better. i know some pakistanis who have really close gujarati friends.

UK
depends on individual families; some are open minded and religious and don't look beyond religion and overall decency (religion character looks etc) and others just look for 'surtis' or whatever.
it depends if the gal/boy wants to actually marry you or not.

London, UK
well i have heard of many gujrati n bengali marriages, bt v.few with pakistanis.
It dependz on where the boy is 4m in pakistan, because pious or not the family matterz. N its likely that the boy's parents wil say no. 4m wot i have seen.
South africanz r open minded n les rigid wid culture.

University of Bradford
well not v tru igot lodz of pakistani cousins. my london cus who i hang around wiv is married to a pakistani gal. my paki mates in manchester r married to gujji surti gals but yeh ur rite there is objections. cos ppl think pakistanis cant be trusted :s what nonsense

South Africa
I say rebel and get married into different cultures.

Birmingham
i dont think culture sud matter and if it does like in this case then someone sud break the barrier and get married.

Florida
Well as I am not from Indian descent I cannot really give my opinion.
I do however know that within Islam I have seen the most racism amongst the so called "loving unracist" religion.
I think Islam harbors more racism than any other religion. In Catholicism and Christianity this doesnt exist. As long as the person is a "godfearing" individual then it matters not what their skin color or background is. I have friends who date outside of their race/culture and they are perfectly fine and their parents as well with them going for something different.
I think the couple should try to make it work and go against these forces of evil because maybe then the world can accept change and learn to love the other.

Annie
02-18-2008, 08:12 PM
salams
im sick of culture,just follow the culture of islam and get married the halal way and find a pious partner.

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 12:57 PM
AssalamuAlaykum...

It depends entirely upon the person getting married and their family...One sad thing is that Pakistani and Gujrati people can be really good friends Alhamdulillah (The majority of mine are Gujrati) ... but when the time for marriage comes they stick to their own kind...one thing is confusing though...why are we talking Gujrati/Pakistani marriages when Surti's and Baruchi's (Both Indian) seem to have the same problem also? Grr how annoyying!

Personally Ima marry a bangali/Gujrati Insha'Allah...just to show I can *grin*

WassalamuAlaykum

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ferrari1981
02-19-2008, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ...54M4K4H...
AssalamuAlaykum...

It depends entirely upon the person getting married and their family...One sad thing is that Pakistani and Gujrati people can be really good friends Alhamdulillah (The majority of mine are Gujrati) ... but when the time for marriage comes they stick to their own kind...one thing is confusing though...why are we talking Gujrati/Pakistani marriages when Surti's and Baruchi's (Both Indian) seem to have the same problem also? Grr how annoyying!

Personally Ima marry a bangali/Gujrati Insha'Allah...just to show I can *grin*

WassalamuAlaykum
Exactly same here I have many Gujarati friends/family but all the cultures tend to marry their own kind :S

Are you a Gujarati or Pakistani?

and yes its true between Baruchis and Surtis thats because Baruchis like Pakistanis (no offence to anyone but from what im told) are very aggorant!

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 03:03 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Do not generalise and the world will be a happier place *smile* If I did I'm sorry...but at least it wasnt rude...

WassalamuAlaykum

SirZubair
02-19-2008, 08:43 PM
I am a bharuchi gujarati who was born on a tiny little island named Fiji.

Indian Bharuchi girls in Nz won't even marry someone like me, even though i am a bharuchi gujarati.. just because i am from Fiji.

But i got the upper hand at the end of the day, my wife is a Bharuchi Gujarati from India. Authentic Bharuchi Gujji.. ;D

...dude, stop stressing. You will end up with who Allah swt has destined you to be with.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.