/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Happiness with a sprinkling of sadness?

Re.TiReD
02-18-2008, 11:34 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Just a lil question Insha'Allah...

How true do you think is it that when somebody is upbeat all the time and constantly hyper, that there's something else really going on behind the scenes, that the happiness is a cover for something else?

I was just thinking about this today, because most often than not people will go through an extremely 'high' time and be upbeat etc but that eventually dies out and is replaced with something else, sadness etc ...

Soo...agree/disagree? please do tell me what you think Insha'Allah... psychologically also...what is your take?

Thankoo! *grin* JazakAllah khayr...

WassalamuAlaykum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
DaNgErOuS MiNdS
02-19-2008, 12:12 AM
I suppose we all have different moods at different times, sometimes they're brought on by whats happening around us and sometimes it's just happens without a reason.

I think it's something you shouldn't worry about to much.

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 12:19 AM
I suppose we all have different moods at different times, sometimes they're brought on by whats happening around us and sometimes it's just happens without a reason.

I think it's something you shouldn't worry about to much.
AssalamuAlaykum

JazakAllah khayr for the reply, lol SubhanAllah I'm not worrying about it...(although I dont think I should be as hyper as I am at my age, lol) But yeah...I just wanted to know what people thought...pshychologically though, I think there is a term for it but just cant rememeber, reaction formation? I think...

Is happiness an absence of sadness or is it a state of contentment we create for ourselves...? Is happiness the calm before the storm...or... Hmm just think...I feel as though I'm talking in riddles but yeah

WassalamuAlaykum

P.S Anybody actually do that? e.g. feel one way and behave in another?

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

upbeat people are the best though, no matter what flys at them they take it with a smile. They may be down for a few seconds but then they jump up and its like nothing happened. I love that attitude! if only everyone possessed it!

and the sadness, mashaAllah they so strong that they dont like to show it in front of others, they hide it, keep it between them and ALlaah. ive noticed that about a few special people... mashaAllah i admire that quality a lot

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 10:50 AM
AssalamuAlaykum

:ooh:

Beautiful post! I guess its true aswell...Afterall we should only complain to Allah (swt) about our problems no? But I wonder if its like that with everybody is my actual question...or are some people just gifted with 100% happiness so there isnt actually anything else i.e. any sadness in the background...Hmm

WassalamuAlaykum

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 10:54 AM
^ naa thats not true, because i know quite a few people as i mentioned above, and when i got deeper with them subhanAllah, they have more sorrow then you'd imagine. I mean seriously breaking down sorrow, thats what made me wonder at their happiness and hype even more. Tell me if this isnt a blessing from Allah then what is it?!..

------
02-19-2008, 10:56 AM
:salamext:

and the sadness, mashaAllah they so strong that they dont like to show it in front of others, they hide it, keep it between them and ALlaah. ive noticed that about a few special people... mashaAllah i admire that quality a lot
Yeh I know people like that, they smile and laugh and don't show their pain...

One thing is though, I think this is why u have friends, you should share your burden with ur friends.

Allaahu Aalim..

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 10:57 AM
AssalamuAlaykum

Ookay...I was thinking something else this morning also...I'm not saying this thread is about me btw...but imagine it was...why would Allah gift me with so much happiness...dont you think its actually scary? I'd rather be miserable in this world and happy in the hereafter...not the other way round! *sad*

WassalamuAlaykum

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 10:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

Yeh I know people like that, they smile and laugh and don't show their pain...

One thing is though, I think this is why u have friends, you should share your burden with ur friends.

Allaahu Aalim..
AssalamuAlaykum

Yeah I know what you mean, but personally I think sadness and pain is contagious (sp?) maybe the person doesnt want to burden another with their pain etc? its not a nice feeling when somebody else is upset or worried about you...

WassalamuAlaykum

P.S BRB Insha'Allah sis *grin*

------
02-19-2008, 11:01 AM

its not a nice feeling when somebody else is upset or worried about you...
But at least u know they care.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 11:01 AM
happiness/sakeena is from Allaah. you know at times i feel like i could be a broken down homeless/wifeless/jobless/kidless/orphaned and enstraged boy and i'd still walk about happy, maybe happier then i am now.

what causes the happiness? just contentment knowing that this life isnt NOTHING, a few days, a walk in a shade, a journey to another place.

i guess the strength to face it and come out all shining is from Allaah.

look at those palestinians, man the amount of stuff they go through, and if you see the videos its like they so happy!!! mashaAllaah!

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 11:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ...54M4K4H...
its not a nice feeling when somebody else is upset or worried about you...
Agreed !

especially when the person donates a heap of money for your safety and you hear about it later on, start feeling quite a bit of guilt!

but thats what the mu'mins do, they look out for one another, and i think the compassion is beautiful.

bottling stuff up may seem kind and cool but its not always wise..

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 11:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

But at least u know they care.
AssalamuAlaykum

They care *wub* but you care enough not to hurt them too...people have enough burdens of their own...who am I to add to them?

WassalamuAlaykum

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
happiness/sakeena is from Allaah. you know at times i feel like i could be a broken down homeless/wifeless/jobless/kidless/orphaned and enstraged boy and i'd still walk about happy, maybe happier then i am now.

what causes the happiness? just contentment knowing that this life isnt NOTHING, a few days, a walk in a shade, a journey to another place.

i guess the strength to face it and come out all shining is from Allaah.

look at those palestinians, man the amount of stuff they go through, and if you see the videos its like they so happy!!! mashaAllaah!
AssalamuAlaykum,

True say Akhee, sometimes we feel sakeenah at the most strangest of times...when we have a load of stress, work, family stuff etc but its then that we couldnt feel any happier...So I guess that is a gift and blessing from Allah (swt) then, SubhanAllah *smile* JazakAllah khayr Akhee and Ukhtee!

WassalamuAlaykum

Muezzin
02-19-2008, 12:12 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Ookay...I was thinking something else this morning also...I'm not saying this thread is about me btw...but imagine it was...why would Allah gift me with so much happiness...dont you think its actually scary? I'd rather be miserable in this world and happy in the hereafter...not the other way round! *sad*

WassalamuAlaykum
I'd rather be happy in both worlds.

I commute everyday, so I kind of have to make sure I'm happy and optimistic on the journey and at the destination, otherwise I'd turn into Scrooge or something. That's my own personal philosophy though. Whatever works for you, dude.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 12:17 PM
you know whats strange though...

those people who are so upbeat and happy, i think we get use to them, that vibrance they send everywhere..

but then.. when they do feel down or even if for a while you see them look a bit sad, it hurts a lot inside cause i think you start caring for that person too much.

see, smiles do so much... subhanAllah

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I'd rather be happy in both worlds.

I commute everyday, so I kind of have to make sure I'm happy and optimistic on the journey and at the destination, otherwise I'd turn into Scrooge or something. That's my own personal philosophy though. Whatever works for you, dude.
AssalamuAlaykum,

I commute everday too...And you know what...you actually made me think there...because I love the journey but hate the destination *shocked* ...to me, thats saying something really weird...but if I dont analyse it like that...I'd say its because I love looking at the countryside going past during my commute *grin* JazakAllah khayr Akhee

WassalamuAlaykum

Intisar
02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
:w: I disagree, 'cause I'm a very optimistic person. Just because someone's happy all the time, that doesn't mean that behind the scenes they have some problems going on. I'm a very happy person most of the time, because the way I see it, being all sad won't change the condition you're in so be happy 'cause Allaah has something good in store for you inshaa Allaah and some people are in way worse conditions than you are.

Maybe it's just me, but I have a very optimistic outlook on life, I'm usually never glum and If I am then I hardly show it. That's why my imaan doesn't go low much, because I have trust and faith in Allaah that he understands and knows what's going on. And like it says in the Quraan (may Allaah forgive me if I am wrong), ''It may be that something is good for you and that you dislike it (and vice versa), surely Allaah knows best.''

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 12:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
:w: I disagree, 'cause I'm a very optimistic person. Just because someone's happy all the time, that doesn't mean that behind the scenes they have some problems going on..''
i have to disagree with that...

simply because problems are never ending, even with the best of the best (our prophet muhammad sallallahi alaihi wasallaam)

so thats what makes the cheerful optimistic happy people strong, that they remain that way even with the problems.

such was our prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam..

Muezzin
02-19-2008, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
i have to disagree with that...

simply because problems are never ending, even with the best of the best (our prophet muhammad sallallahi alaihi wasallaam)

so thats what makes the cheerful optimistic happy people strong, that they remain that way even with the problems.

such was our prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam..
Optimism combined with a will to act... it's how civilisation came to be.

Intisar
02-19-2008, 12:28 PM
:sl: ^I agree, but what I meant by my statement was that just because someone seems a bit ''too happy'' all the time, that doesn't necessarily mean that they have problems going on. Heh, maybe it could be a personality trait? Who knows? We can't judge, allaahu 'alim.

And we should take a page from their book, that being sad doesn't solve the problem or make it go away. :)

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 12:29 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

@ Sis Ameena- Hmm interesting...but you're still implying that you do have 'glum' moments..but SubhanAllah maybe you're the type to blank them out? I dunno but everybody has patience at different levels I guess and deals with things in different ways...some people, including myself turn to the idea that Allah does not overburden any soul...whilst others, also including myself...try to cover it with something else...as long as we dont despair then I guess any of the two ways would work...But I still think that if you're extra EXTRA happy, there's usually something being hidden, if not consciously then unconsciously. Because I dont think anybody is without problems, SubhanAllah this whole dunya is a test.

WassalamuAlaykum

crayon
02-19-2008, 12:29 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Just a lil question Insha'Allah...

How true do you think is it that when somebody is upbeat all the time and constantly hyper, that there's something else really going on behind the scenes, that the happiness is a cover for something else?

WassalamuAlaykum
I'm exactly like that. There's nothing going on behind the scenes. Sometimes I do get down or frustrated, but I just forget about whatever's bothering me, smile, and be happy. :)

Muezzin
02-19-2008, 12:30 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

@ Sis Ameena- Hmm interesting...but you're still implying that you do have 'glum' moments..but SubhanAllah maybe you're the type to blank them out? I dunno but everybody has patience at different levels I guess and deals with things in different ways...some people, including myself turn to the idea that Allah does not overburden any soul...whilst others, also including myself...try to cover it with something else...as long as we dont despair then I guess any of the two ways would work...But I still think that if you're extra EXTRA happy, there's always something being hidden, if not consciously then unconsciously.

WassalamuAlaykum
The only thing super-hyper, unnaturally happy people are hiding is their Prozac prescription.

------
02-19-2008, 12:30 PM

People cant hide their problems all the time.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 12:32 PM
the not overburdening a soul works for me.

you know how i take it?, whenever something happens i think to myself, "lol is this it? Alhamdulillah, i can take this!" and if things gt worse just take the same thinking style. Infact i hav thought about the exact worst thing that can happen to me, which would be me turning into a chicken (armless/legless/cant see etc/cant talk, no family) and thot hmm, now mayb that wud be difficult. But i'll cross that bridge when i get there

seriously, no matter which problem i hear these days its like "lol is that it?!"

i hope i didnt offend anyone.

Assalamu Alaikum

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 12:34 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

I feel the need to laugh so I shall leave you lots to it *grins like a maniac* and bro IbnAbdulHakim...funny you should mention 'chicken'...if only you knew of its relevance....

WassalamuAlaykum

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 12:42 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

I just wanted to clarify...I didnt mean to generalise by the way...But ok I know that its not always that something else is going on behind the scenes...Its just for me its usually pent-up fustration which I cover-up by acting a lil hyper (well a lot hyper... but it depend on who you ask *coughcough*) ...but yeah...not everybody is like that and if you're not then good on ya! *grin*

WassalamuAlaykum

P.S Is it just me or is LI not workin proper?

chacha_jalebi
02-19-2008, 01:15 PM
lol mind your own buzinaas!!

i think that people are generally happy, well most people are, there are the occasional un sociable types :mmokay:

but it depens on the person aswell, like some people are always generally really happy, and like everyone they will have their down days, but just because their happy you cant say they hiding summin lol

i think the ones that act happy and aint, can easily be like worked out . .

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 01:21 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Why hello there Freud *grin*

Hmm...I think (remember its me thats thinking so no need to take me seriously) I think that happiness becomes a habit sometimes...so even if you are down people cant tell...

And I'd say that at some point or other in ones life...I think the happiness will definately be a cover *smile* I think its reaction formation and I think its true...but then again I think weird things so yeh... *grin*

WassalamuAlaykum

chacha_jalebi
02-19-2008, 01:35 PM
personally i think its best to take people for face value, like if you look to deep into a person you might just be looking for stuff that aint there!!!

so if someone appears happy, assume they are, if they dont appear happy, then lock them up in a room :p naa jokin shokin

but yeah like you cant really know what a person is like unless you know them!

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 01:38 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Lol Ookay...but this is about looking deep into yourself not anybody else...and weather or not what I said is true for you...

WassalamuAlaykum

chacha_jalebi
02-19-2008, 01:44 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Lol Ookay...but this is about looking deep into yourself not anybody else...and weather or not what I said is true for you...

WassalamuAlaykum
:mmokay:

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
:mmokay:
AssalamuAlaykum

I'll pretend I didnt notice that as I dont like making edits...

But yeah...I've also noticed that some people who are aware of their inner conflicts will not look 'deep into themselves'....*grin* afraid of what they might find....(and no, we're not talking buried treasure) *grin* now that should get you posting Akhee...

WassalamuAlaykum

chacha_jalebi
02-19-2008, 01:53 PM
i would describe myself as a upbeat, bubbly, sociable type person

and i know people percieve me like that!

but i disagree that people are hiding something when their happy,

quite a lot of people are genuine about the way they feel, like they will say "im having a crap day or summin"

so yeah lol it depends on how well you know the person aswell

Re.TiReD
02-19-2008, 11:20 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Masha'Allah Akhee...

But I still remain firm on the idea that sometimes it is the case that the happiness is a cover...actually all the people who said they were constantly upbeat just proved it...everybody...EVERYODY...will face difficulties at one time or another in their lives...and according to them; if they're constantly happy then they'll show happiness at times like those also...hence proving my point...Capiche?

WassalamuAlaykum

IbnAbdulHakim
02-20-2008, 01:42 PM
you know when you feel sweet sakeena,

u'll just smile most of the time, you wont be that hyper. but you'll be nice

just something ive observed, when i feel at peace, im calm and collected, when im hyper... theres somethin unsettling...

------
02-20-2008, 01:47 PM

^ yeh...

Its like if ur too high and hyper, ur trying to hide something...

Re.TiReD
02-20-2008, 02:03 PM
AsslaamuAlaykum

*grin* Ahhh man!

Dreamer is strange, you all know that right? So when Dreamer feels a most beautiful sweet sakeenah (like now *smile*) it affects her in strange ways...hehe and hyperness is one...Sakeenah is peace, tranquility right, but you feel happy...so0o0o happy, and for me...that leads to hyperness...

But yeah...I'm not going to lie...sometimes the hyperness is a cover...but you'll never guess that unless you ask me...because it could always be either one of the two...i.e. real happiness (like today)...or fake hyperness....(like....err....cant remember) *grin*

WassalamuAlaykum

IbnAbdulHakim
02-20-2008, 02:07 PM
its good to be happy mashaAllah...

hav you ever thought about what emotions go threw you when your hyper?!

i know that some people have reasons which stimulate them towards being like that...

Re.TiReD
02-20-2008, 02:19 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Could you rephrase that question please Akhee, I dont fully understand it...? When I'm hyper I can do the most random things...But tell me what you mean and I'll try answer Insha'Allah...

WassalamuAlaykum

P.S Maybe somebody else could tell us how they feel when they're totally happy and hyper Insha'Allah, this thread is so not gonna be about me! *grin*

IbnAbdulHakim
02-20-2008, 02:23 PM
i know that Aisha radhiallahu anha is one of those with a bubbly personality. I know that the sahabi's use to joke around and stuff.

But thats all bubbly and happy, hyper is diff right.

so i was wondering what do people feel when they are really happy, is it just extreme happiness?: or somethin else...

Re.TiReD
02-20-2008, 02:27 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Oh my days *grin*

How is hyper different? I cant remember the last time I was 'moderately' happy...like normal...if I'm happy its extremely happy...that make sense? So yeah...
is it just extreme happiness?:
<< -- you're absolutely right, although people may differ...I think there's a reason I'm like this too...but again, people may differ...

Hope that makes sense...

WassalamuAlaykum

true believer
02-21-2008, 10:40 PM
salam
good question!
some ppl try so hard to forget
something and they try to be so happy all the time, so wen dat happiness is
gone, sadness is all they are left with and maybe bad memories
[dat they try to push down, forget and get it out of their mind so they
dont have to deal wiz it] come back and reminds them.

Re.TiReD
02-21-2008, 10:44 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Good answer sister, I think you're talking repression right? When something bad happens, something you dont want to deal with, you repress it...you dont let it come to the surface of your consciousness...And then maybe you try acting the opposite of what you're really feeling...But repressed memories always come back to bite you where it hurts anyway...

WassalamuAlaykum

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.