/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A new start for Pakistan?

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
02-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Pakistan: Musharraf Concedes Defeat
Updated:08:23, Tuesday February 19, 2008

Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has conceded defeat in the country's election.

The chairman of the pro-Musharraf party, Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, told television reporters that "we accept the results with an open heart" and "will sit on opposition benches" in the new parliament.

Fears of vote rigging and violence have proved largely unfounded while international observers have so far endorsed the vote.

However, fears of bomb attacks have kept the turnout low.

Mr Musharraf took power in a 1999 coup but a hostile parliament of opposition MPs could try to remove him.

Sky News' foreign affairs editor Tim Marshall, in Islamabad, said: "A two-thirds majority is needed is needed in parliament to impeach the President.

"I don't think they'll get that, but Musharraf has been badly damaged."

The election was suspended in December after the assassination of Benazir Bhutto, leader of the Pakistan People's Party (PPP).

The party had been expected to benefit from a sympathy vote.

But unofficial Election Commission tallies show the other main opposition party, led by former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, leading in Punjab province where half the members of parliament will be elected.

As results trickled out, groups of opposition supporters celebrated in the streets of Lahore, Rawalpindi and Karachi.

Mr Musharraf says he will work with whoever wins to build democracy in a country that has alternated between civilian and army rule throughout its 60-year history.

Pakistan is a key ally in the "war on terror" and the country's stability is crucial to the West.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Fears of vote rigging and violence have proved largely unfounded while international observers have so far endorsed the vote.
really good news.

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
02-19-2008, 10:11 AM
:sl:
More info also on the BBC website

i hope inshaAllah this will be the fresh start Pakistan needs... and hopefully without violence...
:w:

Trumble
02-19-2008, 01:00 PM
This is very good news for Pakistan, I think. A change was desperately needed... but there is still huge potential for things to go terribly wrong.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
chacha_jalebi
02-19-2008, 01:38 PM
so yeah like erm who won the election:D

Roasted Cashew
02-19-2008, 01:44 PM
I am glad that opposition won. Man, My dad was sitting here in front of the PC whole day long watching "Web Geo Tv" - Live coverage of the elections. Only now I had the chance to sit and browse. Ya, I am a "Paki" living in Malaysia.

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
02-19-2008, 02:43 PM
:sl:
I just spoke to my husband, who is in GujarKhan (in the Punjab province) and he has said there are celebrations going on and that everyone is happy

this was qouted from the bbc website mentioned above regarding on the results...

NATIONAL RESULTS SO FAR
PPP (Bhutto's party) : 87
PML-N (Nawaz Sharif): 66
PML-Q: (pro-Musharraf) 38
MQM (Sindh-based): 19
ANP (Secular Pashtuns): 10
Others: 38
:w:

snakelegs
02-19-2008, 08:46 PM
many people were predicting that the elections would be rigged and there would be wide spread violence, when it became obvious that they were rigged. people were even buying a week's worth of groceries to prepare for the worst.
and it hasn't happened! apparently no significant rigging and no violence.
now it remains to be seen what will happen next. will PPP and PML-N form a coalition government? will they restore the fired judges? will they impeach musharraf?

rookie_forever
02-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Well I for one not that happy, PPP and PML-N, from person above didn't do anything great for the country regardless of anyone saying they didn't get charged or whatever.

When my mum had her land stolen from her none of the two parties did anything to help her and kept asking for money, what money did she have to give to bribery and how much was she meant to give?!?

But Musharraf had helplines for people to avoid the whole we haveto wait as we don't have enough to bribe officials policy and my mum now got all of her land back!

So yeah to Musharraf who actually did stuff for the country and the general population who act like idiots most of the time need to get their heads out of the sand and educate themselves on whos meant to rule, not because they have pretty words or a perstigious family but because they are going to do something for the country.

Just my opinion though as I know some people for their own reasons seem to like PPP and that lot.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.