/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Display of Pictures of Mohammed

guyabano
02-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Greetings,

to be honest, I'm confused. Muslims pretend, in Islam, the display of Mohammed is forbidden, but how comes, when you research on Internet, you find loads of websites where you can find pictures of him out of Muslim books painted by muslim artists across centuries.

Can somebody shed light on this controversies ?

Here is one of the links with pictures of Mohammed fully faced. (Be aware: Don't click, if you feel that this might offense your believings)

Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 10:35 AM
find one picture of an artist who painted a portrait of our prophet muhammad sallallahi alaihi wasallaam.

and i didnt click, as its very offensive to me.

guyabano
02-19-2008, 10:38 AM
oh well, it is clearly said, that those pictures have been drawn by muslim artists and they are shown in muslim books.

I don't know to say more as I also simply research and I found this.

Since you don't like to see the link (which I respect), here is some text out of this website:

Medieval Muslim artists often created paintings and illuminated manuscripts depicting Mohammed in full. Several examples are presented here. Other artists of the era drew Mohammed, but left his face blank so as to technically comply with a sporadically enforced Islamic ban on depicting the Prophet; these faceless images are shown in the second section of the Archive.

In 1999, Islamic art expert Wijdan Ali wrote a scholarly overview of the Muslim tradition of depicting Mohammed, which can be downloaded here in pdf format. In that essay, Ali demonstrates that the prohibition against depicting Mohammed did not arise until as late as the 16th or 17th century, despite the media's recent false claims that it has always been forbidden for Muslims to draw Mohammed. Until comparatively recently in Islamic history, it was perfectly common to show Mohammed, either in full (as revealed on this page), or with his face hidden (as shown on the next page). Even after the 17th century, up to modern times, Islamic depictions of Mohammed (especially in Shi'ite areas) continued to be produced.

On this page are many examples of full-faced Mohammed portraits produced by Muslim artists across the centuries. Attributions for each image are given where known.

Peace

Mikayeel
Hello there

We don't pretend, we are sure!
I am 100% sure that these artists are not muslims, they are probally arabs but not muslims!

From the islamic books and movies i have seen he was not revealed.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
:salamext:

LOL what u mean Muslims PRETEND!?

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 10:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
oh well, it is clearly said, that those pictures have been drawn by muslim artists and they are shown in muslim books.

I don't know to saw more as I also simply research and I found this.

Peace
lol you wont be able to find their pictures, as they KNOW we wont like it, and they know we wont stand for it.

thats what i meant :)

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 10:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM
:salamext:

LOL what u mean Muslims PRETEND!?
yeah i found that funny too lol

its more like other muslims need to learn their religion better and FOLLOW IT (those artists)

Cabdullahi
02-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Greetings,

to be honest, I'm confused. Muslims pretend, in Islam, the display of Mohammed is forbidden, but how comes, when you research on Internet, you find loads of websites where you can find pictures of him out of Muslim books painted by muslim artists across centuries.

Can somebody shed light on this controversies ?

Here is one of the links with pictures of Mohammed fully faced. (Be aware: Don't click, if you feel that this might offense your believings)

Peace
Guyabano plz do not come here and make silly comment do you research instead of making asumptions

`Â’ishah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The people who will be most severely punished on the Day of Resurrection will be those who aspire to create like Allah.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (5954) and Sahîh Muslim (2107)]

Ibn ``Abbâs relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Every image maker is in the Fire. For each image he made, a being will be fashioned to torment him in Hell.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (2225) and Sahîh Muslim (2110) – The wording accords with al-Bukhârî]

Abû Talhah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or images representing (people or animals).” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (3225) and Sahîh Muslim (2106)]

why would a muslim draw a picture of prophet muhammed (saw) when its forbidden to do so
thank you

guyabano
02-19-2008, 10:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmedjunior
Guyabano plz do not come here and make silly comment do you research instead of making asumptions
and maybe, you should better read posts before coying verses.

... but how comes, when you research on Internet, ...
where the 'you' also includes me !

In 1999, Islamic art expert Wijdan Ali wrote a scholarly overview of the Muslim tradition of depicting Mohammed, which can be downloaded here in pdf format. In that essay, Ali demonstrates that the prohibition against depicting Mohammed did not arise until as late as the 16th or 17th century, despite the media's recent false claims that it has always been forbidden for Muslims to draw Mohammed.
Now deal with it. It doens't come from me, but from a muslim art expert. So don't put your rant on me, now will you?

How you always say...ermmm.. THANK YOU !

Mikayeel
02-19-2008, 11:02 AM
In 1999, Islamic art expert Wijdan Ali wrote a scholarly overview of the Muslim tradition of depicting Mohammed, which can be downloaded here in pdf format. In that essay, Ali demonstrates that the prohibition against depicting Mohammed did not arise until as late as the 16th or 17th century, despite the media's recent false claims that it has always been forbidden for Muslims to draw Mohammed.
If he is a muslim then dear oh dear, his punishment is going to be a painfull one!(even if he isnt a muslim hes punishment gna b painfull)

I really doubt he is a muslim though. He might be from arabic background.....

Cabdullahi
02-19-2008, 11:19 AM
and maybe, you should better read posts before coying verses.

where the 'you' also includes me !

Now deal with it. It doens't come from me, but from a muslim art expert. So don't put your rant on me, now will you?

How you always say...ermmm.. THANK YOU !
well done son! finally you are spending time researching instead of making bland and silly comments

yes there could be muslim artists that draw images but whoever that maybe they will serve their punishemnt in hell whether its for eternity there is a black sheep in every society in every sect and religion but to come here and say muslims pretend thats like saying all muslims are lieing it just shows that you might have some anger or hatred in u that u wont to let out ,if u wanna do that thats fine do what u like!

my signature post closing line WAIT FOR WAIT!.........thank YOU! lol

Malaikah
02-19-2008, 11:22 AM
It's simple - just because some people might have done it, doesn't mean it is allowed!

guyabano
02-19-2008, 11:29 AM
well done son!
well, I'm not pretty sure, if you know how old I am.

finally you are spending time researching instead of making bland and silly comments
ermmm... bland ? don't know this word, sorry. Silly Comments? Is that usual, that everytime, a comment doesn't fit into your criteria, it sound silly? In that case, seen from my point of view, you also make permantely silly comments. :D

Peace

Muezzin
02-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Some Muslims, some Christians and some Jews have committed murder.

It doesn't mean that all the rest that haven't are pretending their respective religions forbid it. Nor does it mean those religions' rulings on the act are meaningless to the religions' followers.

lyesh
02-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Oh dear!!! How are you 100% sure that the drawing is made by a muslim? For all I know there are loads of people in the world pretending to be muslims and playing up on our beliefs! And even if a muslim has done it... that doesnt mean its allowed!

Cabdullahi
02-19-2008, 11:46 AM
well, I'm not pretty sure, if you know how old I am.

ermmm... bland ? don't know this word, sorry. Silly Comments? Is that usual, that everytime, a comment doesn't fit into your criteria, it sound silly? In that case, seen from my point of view, you also make permantely silly comments. :D

Peace
Look i do not want to argue with you and about ur age i would say your probaby young like me and immature or old possessing an undeveloped brain kind of handicap and just started your second child hood.Just take my permanently silly comments lighty in the future and sesame street is on TV by the way ay! look theyr teaching how to spell the word permanently to halfwit ppl P.. E.. R.. M.. A.. N.. E.. N.. T.. L.. Y

Thank YOU

Muezzin
02-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Lads, enough with the personal posts, please.

guyabano
02-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Look i do not want to argue with you and about ur age i would say your probaby young like me and immature or old possessing an undeveloped brain kind of handicap and just started your second child hood.Just take my permanently silly comments lighty in the future and sesame street is on TV by the way ay! look theyr teaching how to spell the word permanently to halfwit ppl P.. E.. R.. M.. A.. N.. E.. N.. T.. L.. Y

Thank YOU
This is ridiculous. I have it already for the 2nd time this morning . When people are out of arguments, come the personal attacks. I just had it with a female board member. This shows me, it can't be a coincidence.
I apologized many times already on this board, that english is not my mother language.

Sorry, Muezzin, I just had to say this one. I will say no more.

Peace

Cabdullahi
02-19-2008, 11:56 AM
This is ridiculous. I have it already for the 2nd time this morning . When people are out of arguments, come the personal attacks. I just had it with a female board member. This shows me, it can't be a coincidence.
I apologized many times already on this board, that english is not my mother language.

Sorry, Muezzin, I just had to say this one. I will say no more.

Peace
like every good muslim should apologize i will too ,so sorry guyabano for insulting you in manner that made you uncomfortable and for the sake of the forum to keep it clean lets make relevent replies to the threads instead of hitted comments exchanged
peace

guyabano
02-19-2008, 12:05 PM
This is a reason why I hate boards sometimes. Posts are so unpersonal as we can't see others face we're talking too. And that makes it complicated to estimate others words. If we feel bad mood one day, we tend to read a post we dislike as a personnal attack, while on another day, we feel good mood, we take the post with humor.

So let's try to keep it always civilized.

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.