/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Curfew for US troops in Okinawa

islamirama
02-21-2008, 01:50 AM
The US military has imposed a curfew on its troops in Okinawa amid tensions over incidents involving service personnel, including an alleged rape.

Under the curfew, which began early on Wednesday, troops' movements will be restricted to allow them a "period of reflection", a military statement said.

Thousands of US troops are based in Okinawa, Japan's southern-most island.

Many Okinawans dislike the US presence. The recent alleged rape of a teenager by a US marine has caused outrage.

In 1995 there were mass protests in Okinawa after US troops gang-raped a 12-year-old girl - an incident which raised concerns for the future of the US-Japan security alliance.

Both US and Japanese officials are working to prevent a similar outpouring of anger, analysts say.

'Reflection'

The order for the curfew - which is indefinite and also applies to troops' relatives - came from the top US commander in Okinawa, Lt-Gen Richard Zilmer.

"Active duty service members on Okinawa will be limited to their place of duty or employment, worship, education, or medical or dental treatment" as they enter a "period of reflection", a military statement said.

Map

The restrictions would give troops "an opportunity to further review procedures and orders that govern the discipline and conduct of all US service members serving in Okinawa", it said.

In a separate announcement, the US military said that troops across Japan would hold a "day of reflection" on Friday over the recent incidents.

Last week, US Marine Staff Sgt Tyrone Hadnott was arrested for allegedly raping a 14-year-old girl in his car. He admits forcibly kissing her but denies rape.

Over the weekend, two more US troops were arrested for drink-driving and trespassing - causing Japan's top government spokesman to accuse the US military of a lack of discipline.

"I only have one thing to express and that is our true anger," Nobutaka Machimura said. "We demand serious self-reflection."

Japanese leaders would raise the issue with US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice when she visited the country next week, he said.

US Ambassador Thomas Schieffer flew to Okinawa last week to express his concern over the alleged rape.

About 20,000 US troops - half of the US presence in Japan - are stationed in Okinawa as part of the decades old US-Japan security alliance.

The bases are strategically very significant because of their proximity to the Taiwan Strait.

Local residents complain of crime linked to the military presence, as well as noise and disruption caused by the bases - but local leaders say the bases are vital to the island's economy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7254105.stm

Additional Story

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cognescenti
02-21-2008, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
It's the same no matter what land they go to. These animals need to fulfill their animalistic needs that their society raised them on and so they do as they please and ruin innocent lives.

**** ***, pal.

This piece of debris (I apologize if I offend ordinary debris by linking them with him) scours the internet daily looking for anti-American stories which he pretends have some more general societal implication, then appends his insulting comments.

Meanwhile, in another thread where the adults were having an intellectually interesting coversation about Islamic proscriptions against magic and witchcraft (and where there was something of actual value going on), a moderator gets a bit steamed, insults non-Islamic posters...and the whole mess is cleaned up by a second moderator who invokes the "3 day rule" to sweep the whole mess under the rug. Note that the "3 day rule" is not uniformly applied..indeed it used rather whimsically.

Wow...I can see trans-cultural understanding just breaking out all over. A few more millenia of this kind of dialogue and everything will be fine (or one group will have exterminated the other). For now, I think I will work on my water colors. Adios.

Suomipoika
02-22-2008, 01:07 AM
It does seem bit odd, on one hand people complain about lack of respect and how people should not be insulted, and then this kind of racist garbage about "these animals and their animalistic needs and their society" gets approved by mods and no one is really bothered.

Ebtisweetsam
02-22-2008, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Suomipoika
It does seem bit odd, on one hand people complain about lack of respect and how people should not be insulted, and then this kind of racist garbage about "these animals and their animalistic needs and their society" gets approved by mods and no one is really bothered.
Actually i have heard many stories about this happening alot in Iraq. However i do understand your point also.... yes the language should be contained.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
02-22-2008, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ebtisweetsam
Actually i have heard many stories about this happening alot in Iraq. However i do understand your point also.... yes the language should be contained.
You've heard stories. Incidents like this are an exception to the rule, and those guilty of it are punished accordingly. In Iraq, U.S. soldiers aren't even allowed to search a female...and guess what? The last few deadly suicide bombings have been carried out by females. When you have many thousands of people stationed in one place there will be exceptions to every situation. I can tell you that any U.S. soldier found guilty of committing these types of crimes end up wishing they were never born. As in most militaries, discipline is a serious matter.

AvarAllahNoor
02-22-2008, 12:44 PM
A couple of stupid soldiers act like animals, but it does not mean the rest are acting in the same manner! - They'll be dealt with by the law.

Cabdullahi
02-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I think maybe most of the american soldiers are poor and uneducated thats why these incidents occur its similar to what the american soldiers used to do with experimenting drugs in the vietnam war back then

Ebtisweetsam
02-22-2008, 12:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
You've heard stories. Incidents like this are an exception to the rule, and those guilty of it are punished accordingly. In Iraq, U.S. soldiers aren't even allowed to search a female...and guess what? The last few deadly suicide bombings have been carried out by females. When you have many thousands of people stationed in one place there will be exceptions to every situation. I can tell you that any U.S. soldier found guilty of committing these types of crimes end up wishing they were never born. As in most militaries, discipline is a serious matter.
Did i mention they were TRUE stories? OF COURSE this type of thing happens: Im sorry but i dont know any other way to say it: h*rnii men that have no religious belief and have an excuse that the Iraqis are the so-called enemy, will do anything and EVERYTHING to get back at the Iraqi men, including this type of hideous behaviour. You see; in a few years to come when (or should i say IF) the U.S EVER leaves Iraq, how many incidents like this will be told to the public.

Ebtisweetsam
02-22-2008, 12:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmedjunior
I think maybe most of the american soldiers are poor and uneducated thats why these incidents occur its similar to what the american soldiers used to do with experimenting drugs in the vietnam war back then
And most likely had an excuse: it was the alcohol that made me do it.

Cabdullahi
02-22-2008, 12:53 PM
ALLah only knows whats going behind the scenes but il tell u it doesnt look pretty

guyabano
02-22-2008, 01:10 PM
oh what a garbage. I cannot understand that this kind of Anti-Websites are tolerated. Usually, some trainee mods are always fast deleting any links which might put Islam in a not so good light, but here, they fail completely to do their task.

Shameful

Peace

Cabdullahi
02-22-2008, 01:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
oh what a garbage. I cannot understand that this kind of Anti-Websites are tolerated. Usually, some trainee mods are always fast deleting any links which might put Islam in a not so good light, but here, they fail completely to do their task.

Shameful

Peace
SO websites showing what is happening with the american soldiers and them abusing vunerable women or girls is an antiwebsite?!?!
and websites that lie websites that make up false info about muslims will not be tolerated why because this is an islamic forum with the majority of the people being the people of light that know islam is peace ,so for people like u too post anti islamic articles or whatever is kinda irritating ,brother so thats why it gets deleted we are only interested in the truth and american soldiers causing trauma to iraqis or iraelis causing trauma to palestinians thats the truth

AvarAllahNoor
02-22-2008, 01:28 PM

Shameful

Peace
Perhaps it's being blown out of proportion, but they did commit an evil act. If you read by previou post, it states not all the soldiers should be tarred with the same brush. :smile:

Keltoi
02-22-2008, 01:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ebtisweetsam
Did i mention they were TRUE stories? OF COURSE this type of thing happens: Im sorry but i dont know any other way to say it: h*rnii men that have no religious belief and have an excuse that the Iraqis are the so-called enemy, will do anything and EVERYTHING to get back at the Iraqi men, including this type of hideous behaviour. You see; in a few years to come when (or should i say IF) the U.S EVER leaves Iraq, how many incidents like this will be told to the public.
There have only been a couple of documented cases with evidence and a trial related to this type of behavior in Iraq. Most U.S. soldiers don't even come into contact with Iraqi women in the type of situation that would allow them the opportunity to commit such a crime. Most of these "stories" involve heresay and claims by dubious unnamed "victims".

Keltoi
02-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Most members of the American military aren't poor or uneducated. Even if they were "poor and uneducated", which isn't the case, that doesn't equate to bad behavior. That is quite an elitist attitude isn't it? Money and college tuition doesn't breed morality.

Cabdullahi
02-22-2008, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=Keltoi;916166]Most members of the American military aren't poor or uneducated. Even if they were "poor and uneducated", which isn't the case, that doesn't equate to bad behavior. That is quite an elitist attitude isn't it? Money and college tuition doesn't breed morality.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are true but when there is a poor individual from a poor and crime ridden area who has no good education can be some what criminal minded if they are in slums and just want to get some money and see that joining the american army might be better than what they already have what stops them from not carrying out what they used to do back home in america.When you have education you can alteast think for yourself if you are being told to do something against human nature you will say no these people are innocent and so on,what about the abu ghraib incidents do u think the soldiers there had education no! the education im talking about is the having the knowledge of equality among human beings they are being told that these arabs are against our american views instilling anger in the soldiers and therefore there is occurenses of abused civilians by the american soldiers.

IF lynndie england and charles graner were not poor or had some education would they have caused something horrendous i dont know
there might be dozens of incidents happening but they are doing a great job in keeping the lid closed the government cannot afford another slip of an unhumane act if it happens the world will think twice about what america is apparently saying about bringing democracy

Cabdullahi
02-22-2008, 02:03 PM
What kind of human beings cover detainees with feces some of the soldiers were christians why would they do something awful like that,i believe christians have some control and the bible tells them to treat people with respect this just shows that the ppl appointed to be soldiers wer not real christians but former criminals

guyabano
02-22-2008, 02:18 PM
SO websites showing what is happening with the american soldiers and them abusing vunerable women or girls is an antiwebsite?!?!
and websites that lie websites that make up false info about muslims will not be tolerated why because this is an islamic forum with the majority of the people being the people of light that know islam is peace ,so for people like u too post anti islamic articles or whatever is kinda irritating ,brother so thats why it gets deleted we are only interested in the truth and american soldiers causing trauma to iraqis or iraelis causing trauma to palestinians thats the truth
I told you already, there is your truth and also a truth you don't like to see. There are many truths, it just always depends on which side you stand.

You know, it's like standing in front of a painting. If you stand too close, you cannot appreciate the whole artwork. It's time, you step backward, dude. So you can see all and widen also your horizon and be like me, and see and accept different point of views and learn to understand both sides.

Peace

Cabdullahi
02-22-2008, 02:28 PM
I told you already, there is your truth and also a truth you don't like to see. There are many truths, it just always depends on which side you stand.

You know, it's like standing in front of a painting. If you stand too close, you cannot appreciate the whole artwork. It's time, you step backward, dude. So you can see all and widen also your horizon and be like me, and see and accept different point of views and learn to understand both sides.

Peace
Be like You the one who takes this world for granted whos lost in this decieving wilderness no thanks sir i am patiently waiting to die to leave this earth to leave the crazy ppl who have fallen in love with it knowing that there is no gaurantee that they will wake up from bed tmrow alive

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
لَا أُقْسِمُ بِيَوْمِ الْقِيَامَةِ {1}
[Yusufali 75:1] I do call to witness the Resurrection Day;

وَلَا أُقْسِمُ بِالنَّفْسِ اللَّوَّامَةِ {2}
[Yusufali 75:2] And I do call to witness the self-reproaching spirit: (Eschew Evil).

أَيَحْسَبُ الْإِنسَانُ أَلَّن نَجْمَعَ عِظَامَهُ {3}
[Yusufali 75:3] Does man think that We cannot assemble his bones?

بَلَى قَادِرِينَ عَلَى أَن نُّسَوِّيَ بَنَانَهُ {4}
[Yusufali 75:4] Nay, We are able to put together in perfect order the very tips of his fingers.

بَلْ يُرِيدُ الْإِنسَانُ لِيَفْجُرَ أَمَامَهُ {5}
[Yusufali 75:5] But man wishes to do wrong (even) in the time in front of him.

يَسْأَلُ أَيَّانَ يَوْمُ الْقِيَامَةِ {6}
[Yusufali 75:6] He questions: "When is the Day of Resurrection?"

فَإِذَا بَرِقَ الْبَصَرُ {7}
[Yusufali 75:7] At length, when the sight is dazed,

وَخَسَفَ الْقَمَرُ {8}
[Yusufali 75:8] And the moon is buried in darkness.

وَجُمِعَ الشَّمْسُ وَالْقَمَرُ {9}
[Yusufali 75:9] And the sun and moon are joined together,-

يَقُولُ الْإِنسَانُ يَوْمَئِذٍ أَيْنَ الْمَفَرُّ {10}
[Yusufali 75:10] That Day will Man say: "Where is the refuge?"

كَلَّا لَا وَزَرَ {11}
[Yusufali 75:11] By no means! No place of safety!

إِلَى رَبِّكَ يَوْمَئِذٍ الْمُسْتَقَرُّ {12}
[Yusufali 75:12] Before thy Lord (alone), that Day will be the place of rest.

يُنَبَّأُ الْإِنسَانُ يَوْمَئِذٍ بِمَا قَدَّمَ وَأَخَّرَ {13}
[Yusufali 75:13] That Day will Man be told (all) that he put forward, and all that he put back.

بَلِ الْإِنسَانُ عَلَى نَفْسِهِ بَصِيرَةٌ {14}
[Yusufali 75:14] Nay, man will be evidence against himself,

وَلَوْ أَلْقَى مَعَاذِيرَهُ {15}
[Yusufali 75:15] Even though he were to put up his excuses.

لَا تُحَرِّكْ بِهِ لِسَانَكَ لِتَعْجَلَ بِهِ {16}
[Yusufali 75:16] Move not thy tongue concerning the (Qur'an) to make haste therewith.

إِنَّ عَلَيْنَا جَمْعَهُ وَقُرْآنَهُ {17}
[Yusufali 75:17] It is for Us to collect it and to promulgate it:

فَإِذَا قَرَأْنَاهُ فَاتَّبِعْ قُرْآنَهُ {18}
[Yusufali 75:18] But when We have promulgated it, follow thou its recital (as promulgated):

ثُمَّ إِنَّ عَلَيْنَا بَيَانَهُ {19}
[Yusufali 75:19] Nay more, it is for Us to explain it (and make it clear):

كَلَّا بَلْ تُحِبُّونَ الْعَاجِلَةَ {20}
[Yusufali 75:20] Nay, (ye men!) but ye love the fleeting life,

وَتَذَرُونَ الْآخِرَةَ {21}
[Yusufali 75:21] And leave alone the Hereafter.

وُجُوهٌ يَوْمَئِذٍ نَّاضِرَةٌ {22}
[Yusufali 75:22] Some faces, that Day, will beam (in brightness and beauty);-

إِلَى رَبِّهَا نَاظِرَةٌ {23}
[Yusufali 75:23] Looking towards their Lord;

وَوُجُوهٌ يَوْمَئِذٍ بَاسِرَةٌ {24}
[Yusufali 75:24] And some faces, that Day, will be sad and dismal,

تَظُنُّ أَن يُفْعَلَ بِهَا فَاقِرَةٌ {25}
[Yusufali 75:25] In the thought that some back-breaking calamity was about to be inflicted on them;

كَلَّا إِذَا بَلَغَتْ التَّرَاقِيَ {26}
[Yusufali 75:26] Yea, when (the soul) reaches to the collar-bone (in its exit),

وَقِيلَ مَنْ رَاقٍ {27}
[Yusufali 75:27] And there will be a cry, "Who is a magician (to restore him)?"

وَظَنَّ أَنَّهُ الْفِرَاقُ {28}
[Yusufali 75:28] And he will conclude that it was (the Time) of Parting;

وَالْتَفَّتِ السَّاقُ بِالسَّاقِ {29}
[Yusufali 75:29] And one leg will be joined with another:

إِلَى رَبِّكَ يَوْمَئِذٍ الْمَسَاقُ {30}
[Yusufali 75:30] That Day the Drive will be (all) to thy Lord!

فَلَا صَدَّقَ وَلَا صَلَّى {31}
[Yusufali 75:31] So he gave nothing in charity, nor did he pray!-

وَلَكِن كَذَّبَ وَتَوَلَّى {32}
[Yusufali 75:32] But on the contrary, he rejected Truth and turned away!

ثُمَّ ذَهَبَ إِلَى أَهْلِهِ يَتَمَطَّى {33}
[Yusufali 75:33] Then did he stalk to his family in full conceit!

أَوْلَى لَكَ فَأَوْلَى {34}
[Yusufali 75:34] Woe to thee, (O men!), yea, woe!

ثُمَّ أَوْلَى لَكَ فَأَوْلَى {35}
[Yusufali 75:35] Again, Woe to thee, (O men!), yea, woe!

أَيَحْسَبُ الْإِنسَانُ أَن يُتْرَكَ سُدًى {36}
[Yusufali 75:36] Does man think that he will be left uncontrolled, (without purpose)?

أَلَمْ يَكُ نُطْفَةً مِّن مَّنِيٍّ يُمْنَى {37}
[Yusufali 75:37] Was he not a drop of sperm emitted (in lowly form)?

ثُمَّ كَانَ عَلَقَةً فَخَلَقَ فَسَوَّى {38}
[Yusufali 75:38] Then did he become a leech-like clot; then did (Allah) make and fashion (him) in due proportion.

فَجَعَلَ مِنْهُ الزَّوْجَيْنِ الذَّكَرَ وَالْأُنثَى {39}
[Yusufali 75:39] And of him He made two sexes, male and female.

أَلَيْسَ ذَلِكَ بِقَادِرٍ عَلَى أَن يُحْيِيَ الْمَوْتَى {40}
[Yusufali 75:40] Has not He, (the same), the power to give life to the dead?

islamirama
02-22-2008, 05:25 PM
New US rape allegation in Okinawa
By Chris Hogg
BBC News, Tokyo

Another US military serviceman has been detained over an alleged sexual assault on Japan's southern island of Okinawa.

In the latest of a string of incidents involving US troops, the man is accused of raping a Filipino woman at a hotel.

The alleged rape happened before a 24-hour curfew was imposed on US troops, their families and civilians working for the military on Okinawa.

The focus on crime by military personnel in recent days is affecting relations between Japan and the US.

Local anger

Another American serviceman is accused of rape on Okinawa, the second alleged incident in 10 days.

The first complaint was made by a 14-year-old schoolgirl, the second by a woman from the Philippines who says she was attacked in a hotel.

Map

In the last few days another soldier was found drunk asleep on a sofa in a house he had broken into, while another was arrested for drink-driving.

What is happening here is that a high-profile incident, the alleged rape of the schoolgirl, has focused an unusual amount of attention on the behavior of the tens of thousands of US troops stationed on Okinawa.

Crimes carried out by US personnel there have always angered local residents.

Usually offences like drink-driving would get reported only in the local paper, but right now they are being reported around the world.

The US authorities know this is a problem.

High-ranking White House officials visiting Tokyo find themselves having to reassure their Japanese counterparts they are doing all they can to reduce the amount of crime.

A 24-hour curfew has been imposed, not just on servicemen but on their families and civilian staff too.

It aims to prevent US personnel drinking in bars or clubs and getting into trouble.

The military will be hoping that in time Japan's national media will lose interest in the story.

There is no evidence that more crimes are being carried out than before.

Last year just 46 US military personnel were arrested on Okinawa in connection with criminal cases, a tiny proportion of those stationed there, and that figure was less than half the number five years ago.

Source: "anti-website" - BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7256056.stm

omar_2133
02-22-2008, 05:45 PM
I think maybe most of the american soldiers are poor and uneducated
Well from what I've heard, they do require a Diploma to be recruited.

Cognescenti
02-22-2008, 07:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
New US rape allegation in Okinawa
By Chris Hogg
BBC News, Tokyo...
r

Look, *** ****, why don't you simply be a man about it and get on with what you are tyring to imply.

If your point is that giving a bunch of alcohol to an 18 year old Marine is a bad idea, you will not find anyone here who would disagree. If you mean to indict all non-Muslims or Western societies you can go **** *********.

There are over 25,000 US servicemen on Okinawa. Try to have a little perspective.

FYI..here is what the British Consulate advises its citizens upon travel to Egypt...

...In 2007 Egypt was one of the countries with the highest number of cases reported to our Consular staff of British nationals who were the victim of a sexual offence. Half a dozen of the cases reported to our Consular staff involved children under the age of 18.

Must be all those Coptic Christians causing trouble, eh?

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/ser...=1062157948289

Let's throw this open to discussion. Has anyone been truly edified by this thread? What insights have you gained? How has your worldview been broadened? How will this ease tensions between Muslims and non-Muslims? How has your opinion of the effort at moderation on this board been shaped?

Cabdullahi
02-22-2008, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Or you could comport yourself in a civilized fashion and refrain from preposterous generalizations purposely intended to insult...oh...at least 700,000,000 people.

That would be a start. I realize it might be a bit much to ask. Perhaps you could go pick on some Gypsies or tease a couple of kids with cerebral palsy.

That would be good for a laugh or two.
For you to say that not all americans have a possibilty of commting an evil act provided they have no religion to control their behaviour is like the hippopotamus saying im going to jump in the mud and come out of it clean It is always going to be dirty.

FatimaAsSideqah
02-22-2008, 09:00 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu and Hello.

Please let to discuss on-topic. Otherwise, I will report to the Mods. I don't want to see this to be carry on by silly debates!

Sister Fatima

Intisar
02-22-2008, 09:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Meanwhile, in another thread where the adults were having an intellectually interesting coversation about Islamic proscriptions against magic and witchcraft (and where there was something of actual value going on), a moderator gets a bit steamed, insults non-Islamic posters...and the whole mess is cleaned up by a second moderator who invokes the "3 day rule" to sweep the whole mess under the rug. Note that the "3 day rule" is not uniformly applied..indeed it used rather whimsically.
a) I cleaned up the thread only after sifting through all of the nonsense being posted.
b) Clear mockery of Islam results in a deleted post and/or any other severe consequences.
c) You're a part of an Islamic forum, comply with the rules, or you'll be subject to consequences. :)

Thread has gone too far off the original topic to be restored to it's original purpose.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.