/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Your daily prayers on a deluxe carpet

guyabano
02-22-2008, 02:51 PM
With the help of an imbedded compass module, the lighted motifs of the rug turn brighter the closer the rug is turned toward the direction of Mecca. This modern sajjadah introduces a brand new experience in the daily performance of namaz.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
02-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Bravo guyabano a much better thread very relevent to the forum thanks brother and the prayer mat is cool but it might be abit tooo bright with the lights and stuff but i guess i cant say until i buy one lol

------
02-22-2008, 02:57 PM
:salamext:

Woahhh!! Nice one!! How much for n where can u buy it?

guyabano
02-22-2008, 02:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmedjunior
Bravo guyabano a much better thread very relevent to the forum thanks brother and the prayer mat is cool but it might be abit tooo bright with the lights and stuff but i guess i cant say until i buy one lol
That's why the guy wear sunglasses :D

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dr.Trax
04-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Selam Alaikym!

It seems interesting....

Electroluminescent Mecca prayer rug

By Turkish designer Soner Ozenc:
The lighted designs brighten the closer the rug is to the direction of Mecca, so the faithful can always be sure they're pointing to the right location, and the soft glow is said to provide a soothing environment in which to fully focus on the prayer.

Huma*
04-05-2008, 01:01 PM
:sl:

JazakAllah thanks for sharing.. I saw something similar to this before.. I think it was in Lufthansa's on board duty-free shopping guide.

Dr.Trax
04-05-2008, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Humaira*

JazakAllah thanks for sharing.. I saw something similar to this before.. I think it was in Lufthansa's on board duty-free shopping guide.
No problem sister!
Where did you saw that similar....I mean in what conuntry?:)

Snowflake
04-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Exactly how does it work? I want to know the technical side to it. I'm really curious as to how things work lol.

Huma*
04-05-2008, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dr.Trax
No problem sister!
Where did you saw that similar....I mean in what conuntry?:)

I didn't saw it in any particular country....I saw that ad in a duty-free guide on Board while traveling between UK-Germany.... It was German Airline.

Fishman
04-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a good idea, but I don't like the glow. It looks distracting.
:w:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Wow, thats coooooool. Well it might be distracting...depends on who i guess.

Woodrow
04-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Very interesting.
Illuminated furniture is quite a rage these days so, why not get yourself a lighted prayer rug. Britain-based Turkish designer Soner Özenç has created a lighted sajjadah or prayer rug. Hmmm...Technology intervened in the world of the spiritual too! Built on intricate technology, the Sajjadah 1426 (signifying 2005, which is 1426 according to the Islamic calendar), combines the best of Muslim culture, ingenuous art and electroluminescent phosphor printing technology. If you think all that the wonderful piece of art does is glow, think again. It not only creates a divine aura while a devotee is deep into his namaz, it actually guides him to determine the right direction towards the sacred Mecca. And how does it achieve this end? The lighted motifs of the rug turn brighter the closer the rug is turned toward the direction of Mecca! Though we might be tempted to believe so, this is not due to any divine intervention. The embedded compass module works surreptitiously behind this phenomenon. I would say it’s a beautiful idea. It looks pretty stunning in the dark. Source: http://www.bornrich.org/entry/sajjad...towards-mecca/
However unless each rug is made with the compass module oriented for your specific location, I would not trust it's accuracy for finding the qibla. A compass works in reference to the north pole, not in reference to Mecca. You can have a large degree of inaccuracy in determining the shortest direction, From any point on earth you will have 4 straight line choices that point to Mecca. But only one will be the shortest. This rug will be oriented to one choice and if you move it from the location it is not oriented for, it may not be the shortest distance, although it will still be pointing towards Mecca.

Woodrow
04-05-2008, 03:52 PM
I feel I should add a note about the source of these rugs:

Sajjadah 1426 prayer mat by Soner Ozenc

Selected by Rory Dodd, founder of Designersblock

"This electro-luminescent prayer mat contains a compass so its design glows more brightly as it points towards Mecca," says Dodd. "Simultaneously modern and deeply historical, it mixes technology and tradition to enhance everyday usefulness." Turkish-born, British-based designer Ozenc, 27, creates products that combine tradition with contemporary materials and technology. Though not a Muslim, he became interested in rugs and prayer mats while studying at Central St Martins. ("Sajjadah" is a Persian-Turkish word meaning prayer rug; 1426 stands for 2005 in the Islamic calendar.) Price Available on commission, price on application. Production pieces will be available later this year, price to be confirmed. Contact 0779 287 0007, ww.sonerozenc.com

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ic-801550.html

I would question the reliability of the manufacturer and designers sensitivity for the rug to truly point towards the Qibla and what degree of inaccuracy will their quality control inspections permit.

I suggest spending your money on better things. If you do find beauty in the rug and feel it will benefit you that is fine, but do not rely on it as an accurate means to find the qiblah.

Uthman
04-05-2008, 04:14 PM
It looks great!

But I wouldn't like to use it myself. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) placed a great deal of emphasis on simplicity. He also said that every religion has it's characteristic, and the characteristic of Islam is modesty. The thing is too luxurious for my liking - and it takes humbleness out of Salaah if you ask me!

It's nice to look at though. :)

Ali.
04-05-2008, 04:23 PM

It would be distracting in my opinion. But nevertheless; nice!

S1aveofA11ah
04-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Not saying its haraam (as that is an extremley weighty matter only for the learned) but like many of the above posters said it seems distracting. I think there is a hadith somewhere about the Prophet (peace be upon him) not liking to be distracted by vivid patterns/colours in the pray area. Some Muslims just have to go over the top though thesedays.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-05-2008, 06:26 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

I tell you by honest. I wouldn't buying that prayer mat, because it would be easily too distacting.

rabarbara2008
04-05-2008, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Sounds like a good idea, but I don't like the glow. It looks distracting.
Yeah I totally agree on this. Personally, I find it easier to concentrate when I am in the dark, or almost. This glowing seems a little 'harsh' if you know what I mean

Woodrow
04-05-2008, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Exactly how does it work? I want to know the technical side to it. I'm really curious as to how things work lol.
It is actually simple. I can not state specifically as I have not seen the schematics but basically you would have the design painted with Electro luminescent paint or dye. That glows in accordance with the strength of the electric current that passed though it the more current the brighter. The current is controlled by a variable resistor in this case the resistor is controlled by a compass needle and not a knob, or solid state circuits that serve the same purpose. turn the rug until the resistor is lined up with the north pole and you get the brightest glow. That is the direction the design is printed. turn any other direction and the glow lessens down to no glow.

Looking at the pictures I suspect it is operated by small button batteries.

Dr.Trax
04-05-2008, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Humaira*

I didn't saw it in any particular country....I saw that ad in a duty-free guide on Board while traveling between UK-Germany.... It was German Airline.
Thanks sister!Jazak'Allah Khair...:peace:

guyabano
04-08-2008, 07:58 AM
I posted this already some time ago.

See here

Peace

Muezzin
04-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Threads merged.

And that prayer mat reminds me of this:

Huma*
04-08-2008, 08:38 AM
:salamext:

What is it ?

Danah
04-09-2008, 07:51 PM
wow.....very nice sijjadah good for those people who always travel abroad

MaiCarInMtl
04-11-2008, 03:05 PM
I think people would be too distracted. What's wrong with the regular prayer rug? Also, how quickly do you think it eats through your batteries? Can you get a battery adaptor and plug it in if need be?

Seriously, I think people tend to do a bit overboard sometimes. You're supposed to be praying, not feeling like you are "tripping" on 'shrooms!

MaiCarInMtl
04-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Also, isn't this considered bidaa? Aren't the fundamentals of prayer simplicity and focusing on the task at hand aka prayer?

Snowflake
04-12-2008, 12:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It is actually simple. I can not state specifically as I have not seen the schematics but basically you would have the design painted with Electro luminescent paint or dye. That glows in accordance with the strength of the electric current that passed though it the more current the brighter. The current is controlled by a variable resistor in this case the resistor is controlled by a compass needle and not a knob, or solid state circuits that serve the same purpose. turn the rug until the resistor is lined up with the north pole and you get the brightest glow. That is the direction the design is printed. turn any other direction and the glow lessens down to no glow.

Looking at the pictures I suspect it is operated by small button batteries.
oh ok, tnx Br. Woodrow.

Anywayz, I'd never use anything like that. Not just of the distraction it might cause, but it's unneccessary spending of money which could feed a few hungry mouths. I'm dead against it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.