/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon Caution

Periwinkle18
02-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Another story from the magazine!
Umm Isam recounts her unpleasant encounter with the world of animation.

Cartoon Caution

Over the years, whenever I’d fallen prey to the temptation of allowing the TV to baby-sit my son, I have only had regrets, but the following incidents are true:

It all started, when I decided to accompany my very eager son to watch a myriad of cartoons on cable TV. Our first encounter was with “Dexter’s Laboratory”. It showed two boys flirting with each other. Gay relationships in cartoons? I thought I was imagining things. I forbade him to watch it, instantly.

Next I decided to stick to the remakes of “Scooby Doo” and “Popeye the sailorman”, only to discover that they highlighted romantic liaisons to a great extent. Provocative love scenes catering to children? When did that start happening? “No, you can’t watch that either!” I passed my verdict.
I supposed “Tom and Jerry” to be a safe bet, as my son is very gentle and according to his teachers could afford to watch some violence to make him more aggressive for self defense purposes. It wasn’t the violence that I was afraid of. Smooching and flirting was introduced to many of its remakes too. Sigh! “You can watch it only with me!” I decided, wondering if that was any good at all.

Next, I had displeasure to watch “Courage the Cowardly Dog”. The only vocabulary that any kid could learn from this cartoon was ‘STUPID’. I told that to my son.

“Ed,Edd and Eddie” was another popular cartoon that proudly showed its characters spitting, picking their nose, belching, drooling, punching etc. NO wonder this cartoon rocked amongst kids. It told them to do everything their mom ever asked them not to!

After strong denial, I finally gave into “Beyblade” and “Pokemon”. So what if they showed super natural powers, cross dressers, flirts and scantly dressed girls. Isn’t that what all television channels are showing these days?

I still wickedly try to make my son forget his TV hour by offering to take him to the park, play a game or read his favorite story books. Sometimes my plans work, but sometimes my son’s memory outsmarts me. Then I tag along for his TV viewing and try to explain what is good and what isn’t, just to find out what hw thinks of all the objectionable stuff only a parent can see.

It’s almost tragic to see children being robbed of their innocence. I only wish it could have been some other way. I remember growing up thoroughly enjoying cartoons. My mother never had to worry about it. There was hardly any element of moral or social corruption. Kids were allowed to be kids.

Today, the tables have turned. The idiot box has turned into a lewd carton of filth and evil. What is most disturbing is that it encourages children to unlearn all the morals and etiquettes that parents edify. This is probably the reason why kids enjoy its uncontrolled freedom and get addicted to their choice of cartoon.

So those mothers out there who think it is safe to hand over their children to the cartoon network, should most definitely think twice. Hire help for your home chores and take care of your child personally. The age of innocence is long gone!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.