/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here doing horseriding or archery?

Mikayeel
02-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Alsalaaaaaam alykum wa rahmat allah wa barakatahu!!

I was just wondering if neone here participate in these sports?

If you do practise it what do you think of it?

Would you consider doing it?

As i can recall our prophet (may Allahs peace and blessings shower him) said that we should teach young children archery, horseriding and swimming. As we all know the words of the prophet(pbuh) last forever! I also wanted to ask what is the benefit of archery physically/mentally, because it has to have a great benefit for us!

thanks

Wa alukum alsalaam:)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
jzcasejz
02-23-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't do any of them... but I would love to do 'em one day.

The Ruler
02-23-2008, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamada
I also wanted to ask what is the benefit of archery physically/mentally, because it has to have a great benefit for us!
For every sport, a development in muscular strength is required. That is one physical benefit. I believe that it is possible to develop a sharp vision via practising archery. A vision that can accurately judge distances etc etc. Physical benefits.

Mental benefits:
- You feel relaxed after a session of training;
- You feel good about improvements made regarding the sport you're training for;
- As for archery, it just feels good to know how to aim;
- Training/playing sports help relieve stress
- Even the day before exam, if you're training/aiming, you'll forget about the next day and just enjoy the moment as it is.

Note: Experiences and benefits may differ as per person. If you're a person who generally likes to play sports, you'll enjoy it even when bouncing a rubber ball on a wall.

:w:

Mikayeel
02-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Thank u very much sister!, that helped alot:) wa alykum alsalaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MustafaMc
02-23-2008, 08:12 PM
As i can recall our prophet (may Allahs peace and blessings shower him) said that we should teach young children archery, horseriding and swimming. As we all know the words of the prophet(pbuh) last forever! I also wanted to ask what is the benefit of archery physically/mentally, because it has to have a great benefit for us!
One thing that comes to my mind is the Battle of Uhud. A group of archers was left at a strategic place guarding a gap in the mountains to the rear of the Muslim forces. When the Muslims were winning the battle, most of the archers left their post to gather booty. This left the rear flank unguarded and Khalid (then with the Meccans) came in with his calvary on horseback to turn the tables on the Muslims. This battle illustrates the military value, at that time in history, of archery and horse riding. I don't know of a hadith to show the value of swimming, but if one is in a boat and it sinks, then it would be advantageous to know how to swim.

I have had a bow for most of my life, I now have a compound bow that I only occasionally hunt deer with. Shooting a bow accurately is much more difficult than a rifle.

sur
02-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Alsalaaaaaam alykum wa rahmat allah wa barakatahu!!

As i can recall our prophet (may Allahs peace and blessings shower him) said that we should teach young children archery, horseriding and swimming. As we all know the words of the prophet(pbuh) last forever!

Wa alukum alsalaam:)
Islam encourages us to be ready to fight evils.

Archery of that time would be shooting with guns today.
Horse riding would translate today as being able to drive a ride, like car etc.
Swimming is still swimming.

Mikayeel
02-23-2008, 11:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
Islam encourages us to be ready to fight evils.

Archery of that time would be shooting with guns today.
Horse riding would translate today as being able to drive a ride, like car etc.
Swimming is still swimming.
That would sound the obvious, although i believe that the prophets words(pbuh) cnt be bend what he says is what he means(because it comes from Allah ta3ala)

crayon
02-24-2008, 12:57 PM
I've tried archery, and it's brilliant!! It's harder than it looks, and takes a lot more effort.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.